Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 1,477 Words
  • 2,005 Views
  • 23 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Boot - Three Years On - 10. Chapter 10

I'm sorry if kept any of you waiting, I've had a lot on lately but that's all about to level itself out so future chapters should be a little more timely.
Friday the thirteenth isn't over yet but there are some who wish it was, it's not all bad but just how bad is it?

Things had been quiet at The Boot although as is normal some guests had moved on, some had gone to other areas in the hope that their luck would change, a few had managed to obtain better accommodation and new ‘guests’ were always turning up.

Among those to gain accommodation were Beccy and Jim, with Beccy being pregnant they were classed as a priority. They had been placed in a council sponsored Bed & Breakfast hostel, this was the first stage to being offered accommodation from one of the Local Housing Associations that offered social housing. Unfortunately they hadn’t been able to take Jason with them as he didn’t have any ID, this meant that he could not apply for help with housing or claim any benefits and he kept avoiding the offered help to obtain any ID.

Jason continued to stay at The Boot and met with Beccy and Jim most days, they were still collecting discarded electrical items, mobile phones and laptops which Jason helped to repair. Some of them couldn’t be repaired but they were useful as spare parts for those that could be repaired. It made a small amount of extra cash, most of which was given to Jason.

All three had kept a mobile phone for their own use and to keep in-touch when they were apart, Jim and Beccy had basic phones which was okay with them as they had also kept a laptop for themselves, Jason had one of the more advanced smart phones and it was a prized possession, one which later would prove to be needed more than he could imagine.

******

As The Major made himself comfortable on an armchair Kevin went to make a pot of tea and check that he had the makings of a meal for three, he decided that the chicken in the fridge and a few vegetables would make a good roast chicken dinner and smiled to himself happy to be cooking for Pop. When he heard voices getting louder in the lounge he popped his head around the door.

“Like I said you boys have a nice home here, it’s your home, I’m just a temporary guest, you know like a lodger for a short time.” The Major was being very insistent.

“No Pop, this is our home, yours Kevin’s and mine, we all live here together, WE ARE FAMILY!” Ian was getting louder than Kevin liked.

Kevin finished making the tea and carried it through to the lounge, placing the drinks on the small table he looked directly at The Major. “Pop this is your home too, we don’t want you to leave. But if you want to then okay just stay as long as you want but,” Kevin hesitated, “But the only way that we are going to let you leave is when you are fully fit and that’s not going to be the case for a while and we are not going to let you leave unless you have your own place to move in to, you’re not going back on the streets and even if you leave your home will always be with us.” The tone of Kevin’s voice told both Ian and The Major that there would be no negotiation, his decision was final. Neither of them argued and accepted what had been said.

The Major was clearly holding back on his emotions. “You both mean it don’t you?”

“Yes Pop we do, we wouldn’t have anything if it wasn’t for you, thanks to you we have a home and a future. We want to share it with the most important man in our lives and that’s you, don’t you get it you old fool we love you.” Ian was almost choking as he held back his tears.

For the first time in a long time emotions got the better of The Major. “Okay boys I’ll stay but there has to be conditions, I can only stay if you let me contribute. As soon as I’m fit I’ll pull my weight around here and try to find a job, I HAVE to pay my way too.” Ian and Kevin saw something they hadn’t seen before, tears were streaming down The Majors face, there was a smile on his face and they were tears of happiness.

As there was nothing stronger available, and there never would be in that household, Kevin picked up his mug of tea and raised it, “I’ll drink to that, cheers.” Ian and The Major lifted their drinks and they clinked their mugs in agreement before taking a sip.

******

It wasn’t the first time that the staff in The Boot had heard the sounds of guests having bad dreams, it always got their attention and they would respond by going to whoever was having the dream. Lately it had been one particular guest that had their attention, his dreams were becoming more regular. They involved garbled shouting, crying and thrashing about in his sleep. They could only guess what was occurring in those dreams as he wouldn’t talk about them.

After a restless night Jason left The Boot with no clear idea of what he was going to do that day. Even the date hadn’t registered in his mind he’d forgotten that the following day, the fourteenth it would be his birthday. For most of us this would elicit excitement, maybe anticipation of what the day would bring. But being homeless, weary and tired all of this was forgotten.

When he felt a tap on his shoulder he turned sharply. “I knew I’d see you again. I see that you’re on your own, has everyone decided that you’re too much of a burden?” Bill was smiling as he looked at Jason.

“No, no they haven’t they just have other things going on and a lot to do that’s all.” Jason felt nervous, but what Bill said played on his tired mind.

“If you say so, but hey why not spend the day with me since it looks like you’ve nothing better to do.” Jason didn’t notice the glint in Bill’s eye.

“Yeah okay.” For some reason Jason felt trapped and compelled to go along with Bill, maybe it was his youthful naiveté or maybe it was his latent deep-seated feelings of abandonment that made him stay with Bill that day.

They spent most of the day in the bus station at Piccadilly Gardens, begging and were doing okay between them. Bill told him what to say and showed him who to approach for small cash handouts, years of experience had taught him how to spot those most likely to be an easy touch. Bill held the money they collected and ‘treated’ him to lunch from one of the burger bars. Bill spoke to a few people that he obviously knew but Jason wasn’t party to those conversations, or what dealings were going on between them.

Later in the day, sometime during early evening rush hour, Bill gave Jason a hot coffee that was welcome, but it wasn’t a coffee that could be ordered in the local coffee shops, but Jason wasn’t aware of that and being cold he drank it eagerly. Not long after Jason started to feel unwell, his stomach was churning, his head was swimming and he rapidly became incoherent. Bill hadn’t thought things through and wasn’t expecting what happened next. Jason fell to the ground losing consciousness, he was almost catatonic and struggling to breath.

Being the weasel that he was Bill made himself scarce, scared of any repercussions. A nearby Bus Inspector spotted the body of a young man lying unconscious on the ground and went to check on him and quickly called an ambulance. With the police and ambulance attending Jason was quickly rushed to hospital.

******

To everyone’s relief Danny had no broken bones, he was badly hurt but the scrapes looked worse than they were, and a bloody nose hadn’t made it look any better. There would be bruising but it would all heal given time, whatever it was that happened that day it all brought on an anxiety attack. After he had calmed down his wounds had been cleaned up and being given a prescription for painkillers Danny was ready for home.

It was just after 6:30pm, Danny along with Steve and Kate was leaving the hospital through A&E. As they were about to go out the door an ambulance with lights flashing and sirens blazing pulled up outside. They stepped to the side as paramedics rushed through with a young man looking almost white and lying unconscious on a gurney.

Danny froze, almost too quiet to hear he muttered, “JJ.” Then as realisation hit him, not feeling any pain, he screamed, “JJ.” And ran back into the hospital after the paramedics.

Kate and Steve glanced at each other and quickly followed.

Danny has been hurt but he will recover physically but how will it affect him emotionally? What's Bill been up to? We knew that he wasn't out of the picture but has he know hit an all time low? We will find out in later chapters.
I hope that everyone reading is still enjoying the story and look forward to your reactions and comments, let me know what you think I love reading all comments left so don't be shy and I promise that I will respond to you.
I am writing this without the aid of either a beta reader or editor but that is how I've chosen to do it, so any errors are all mine. If you spot any mistakes please let me know and I'll put them right as soon as I can.
Copyright © 2019 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 8
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 3
  • Angry 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Clearly Jason/JJ didn’t want authorities to know where he was.

I’m guessing that the home will be informed that JJ is in hospital and they’ll want to send him back.
:–(

But, if nothing else good happens, at least Danny & JJ have been reunited.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Clearly Jason/JJ didn’t want authorities to know where he was.

I’m guessing that the home will be informed that JJ is in hospital and they’ll want to send him back.
:–(

But, if nothing else good happens, at least Danny & JJ have been reunited.

JJ has his reasons for his actions, all I can say is that there is a story to tell at some point in the next few chapters. As for what happens to him all I can say is that his story will have an effect on the outcome.

  • Love 3
Link to comment

@Mancunian, you may have been delayed, but two of my other favorite authors more than made up for your absence. One posted an entire story, eight hours between each long chapter. The other posted a second chapter a day or so after a delayed but much anticipated chapter.

One morning, I woke to check on 60+ Notifications. This morning, it was ‘only’ 52 Notifications. 20 Notifications is usually a busy morning for me.
;–)

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

@droughtquake that is one of the good things about GA, there are many good authors on here. I often take a break from writing to read some of the current and older stories on here, some make me laugh, others make me cry, but the common denominator is that they are all good. 

  • Love 4
Link to comment

I’ve read a few that were, shall we say, less good. Some of the ones I thought were bad were very popular with others though. There’s a huge variety here and there’s plenty for everybody.
;–)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Seems like Bill slipped Jason some sort of date-rape drug. Whether he was intending to rape him himself, or he had planned to sell him to one or more of the people he had been dealing with during the day, isn't clear. Hopefully Jason will make a full recovery and the hospital will identify whatever drug Bill added to the coffee. But I'm not sure all that sure whether anyone in authority will be able to pin it on Bill.

Now, I wonder if Steve and Kate have room for another foster child..?

  • Love 4
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Marty said:

Seems like Bill slipped Jason some sort of date-rape drug. Whether he was intending to rape him himself, or he had planned to sell him to one or more of the people he had been dealing with during the day, isn't clear. Hopefully Jason will make a full recovery and the hospital will identify whatever drug Bill added to the coffee. But I'm not sure all that sure whether anyone in authority will be able to pin it on Bill.

Now, I wonder if Steve and Kate have room for another foster child..?

Yeah Bill is starting to show his true colours, but wether he gets his comeuppance or not? the jury is still out.

Steve and Kate may have enough room, but there are many things to consider and what the local authorities think comes into it too, they like to consider all options and don't always take into account the opinion of others.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Mancunian said:

Steve and Kate may have enough room, but there are many things to consider and what the local authorities think comes into it too, they like to consider all options and don't always take into account the opinion of others.

Authorities don’t like putting two foster children who are boyfriends together in the same placement. They might be okay if the boys are given separate rooms. Maybe.

  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Authorities don’t like putting two foster children who are boyfriends together in the same placement. They might be okay if the boys are given separate rooms. Maybe.

They will most likely to consider what placements are available in the area, for older children most authorities in the UK have small children's homes in the community but very few foster homes. This means that there are options open to them, but tit has been known for them to place children of all ages in accommodation many mile from home and outside of their area. It can be harsh but it happens, I guess the social worker will have to decide and we don't know much about her except that she has a high case load.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Mancunian said:

…we don't know much about her except that she has a high case load.

The fate of all social workers everywhere!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

As we all know the characters of The Boot series all have a back-story, the events that brought to this place. Part 1 of Lost Soul - The Ox, which is part of The Boot World, has now been posted. It gives some background to one of our important characters, I hope that you will all read enjoy and comment on this new story.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Yes Yes Yess!!  Jason is JJ!  I'm sooo happy!!

But, you don't have to tell the social worker "everything" !

I will definitely read Lost Soul - The Ox.  I truly appreciate your stories Mancunian.  Thank you.

 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, KayDeeMac said:

Yes Yes Yess!!  Jason is JJ!  I'm sooo happy!!

But, you don't have to tell the social worker "everything" !

I will definitely read Lost Soul - The Ox.  I truly appreciate your stories Mancunian.  Thank you.

 

Thank you @KayDeeMac for the comments, I'm guessing you're a bit excited about Jason/JJ, there is more to come on his story unfortunately it's not all good. But as they say you have to get through the bad stuff to get the good. 

The first two parts to Lost Soul - The Ox are posted, there is one final part to come which I'll be getting done as soon as I can . 😀

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Well I just hope the police catch that damn Bill what in the hell was he trying to do kill Jason! Hell of a way to spend your birthday! At least there is some good Danny has found his JJ! And Pop is now living with the boys so nice:yes:

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Bill is a sleeze-bag, hopefully he gets what's coming to him. Jason/JJ's future is undetermined just yet, we will have to wait and see, but one good thing for him is he will get to see Danny. The lads are happy, now The Major is home with them it feels more like home.

  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

I was really hoping that Jason was Danny's JJ.  What Bill did to Jason was just evil.  I don't know what Bill gave Jason to cause that reaction, but I am sure that Bill's intent was to do even worse things to Jason.  Now that Major is taken care of and the two teens will be united I'm happy again.  I think John is going to have to do some intervention on behalf of the boys. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Like I've said before, Bill is a sleezebag, what he's done will catch up to him in time and hopefully he gets what he deserves. The Major is in a better place both physically and mentally but there are some adjustments to be made. There will be many developments for Danny and JJ, we just have to be patient. There is only so much that John/Christian can do, but whatever it is he always does what he can.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Bill must have laced Jason/JJ's coffee with Rohypnol or something similar. One can only hope that he meets his match sooner rather than later.

Perhaps Manny could foster Jason/JJ. It was mentioned he was childless, so he may be a suitable candidate.

I think The Major needs a visit from Kathy Sledge and her sisters, apart from Joni who passed away in 2017. Gurrrls would put him in his place. He may even learn a few dance moves.

 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, Summerabbacat said:

Bill must have laced Jason/JJ's coffee with Rohypnol or something similar. One can only hope that he meets his match sooner rather than later.

Perhaps Manny could foster Jason/JJ. It was mentioned he was childless, so he may be a suitable candidate.

I think The Major needs a visit from Kathy Sledge and her sisters, apart from Joni who passed away in 2017. Gurrrls would put him in his place. He may even learn a few dance moves.

 

Bill has definitely done something he shouldn't have done, but will he get his just deserts? Only time will tell.

Manny fostering Jason is an interesting proposition, but they don't know about each other and would they be a suitable match? And does Manny have what it takes to look after an active teenager?

The Major meeting Kathy Sledge and her sisters and learning a few dance moves is a hilarious thought, but I'm not sure his health could take it. :gikkle:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
19 hours ago, Mancunian said:

Bill has definitely done something he shouldn't have done, but will he get his just deserts? Only time will tell.

Manny fostering Jason is an interesting proposition, but they don't know about each other and would they be a suitable match? And does Manny have what it takes to look after an active teenager?

The Major meeting Kathy Sledge and her sisters and learning a few dance moves is a hilarious thought, but I'm not sure his health could take it. :gikkle:

He was I imagine a fastidious and elegant dresser (as much as he could be in the military) before his homelessness. Would that elegance have extended itself to Halston, Gucci and Fiorucci? Perhaps not, but in yesteryear who is to say he may not have been "The Greatest Dancer".

  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Summerabbacat said:

He was I imagine a fastidious and elegant dresser (as much as he could be in the military) before his homelessness. Would that elegance have extended itself to Halston, Gucci and Fiorucci? Perhaps not, but in yesteryear who is to say he may not have been "The Greatest Dancer".

As an officer, he was always well turned out and in proper military uniform for any given occasion, except for when on active duty. You may be right about him being a good dancer, but I don't know as he never discussed it.

  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I think I hate Bill even more after reading this again.  He is an evil predator who basically poisons Jason.  I suspect he would have raped Jason if not for Jason's reaction to the poison/drug Bill gave him.  I hope he is caught and thrown in jail for a long time!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, raven1 said:

I think I hate Bill even more after reading this again.  He is an evil predator who basically poisons Jason.  I suspect he would have raped Jason if not for Jason's reaction to the poison/drug Bill gave him.  I hope he is caught and thrown in jail for a long time!

That's a good and accurate description of Bill. He is representative of the evils that our growing population of homeless youth face on the streets.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..