Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 1,643 Words
  • 1,024 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Boot - Three Years On - 24. Chapter 24

Time is passing by at The Boot, guests arrive and guests leave, that's a normal part of life at The Boot. There is always news to catch up on and Jim brings a bit of good news but is it enough when news of The Boot's impending closure leaks, it looks like it's all doom and gloom, but is it? Read on with me and find out.

Andy felt the discomfort of his wound, the itchiness was annoying and distracting but it meant that he was healing. Stepping out of the shower he removed the waterproof covering that kept it dry and discarded it in the bin. Luckily he hadn't actually been stabbed, the flesh wound to his side had kept him off work for the last three nights and he couldn't return for at least another seven days, that was the doctors orders.

Taking a fresh pair of tight boxer briefs from his drawer he slowly pulled them on, his thoughts went to the night in A&E when Christian gripped his hand looking worried, had he detected a hint of fear in his eyes. As he checked himself he could see Christian's face in his mind and could feel himself plump up. Shaking the thought from his mind he carefully dressed, there was a staff meeting and the message had been that it was important for everyone to be there.

It was early when Andy arrived at The Boot, Jeff was already there and getting things ready for the meeting.

“Hi Jeff do you need any help?”

“Not from you no your supposed to be taking it easy and resting, go and get yourself a coffee while we wait for everyone else to arrive.” Jeff was setting up a few tables in the dining room. “How are you feeling anyway?”

“Oh you know, it aches a lot and the stitches make it itchy, other than that just bored with not working.” Andy sighed from frustration. “Anyway what's up with Christian he's been a bit cool with me the last few days, if you know what I mean.”

Jeff knew this wasn't just curiosity, he noticed the tone of rejection. “Just give him some time Andy, he's got a lot on his mind just now.”

“Yeah I will. What's with tonights meeting? We only had a full meeting last week.”

“About that, well you will have to wait till everyone is here. Now like I said just give him a bit of time.” Jeff winked as he answered Andy.

Andy wasn't quite sure what was meant by the wink but smiled, “Okay.”

When everyone arrived the meeting started and it was Christian who took the lead. As expected there had been gasps of surprise and a few tears. The staff and volunteers enjoyed what they did and took it seriously. There was no shortage of ideas but all of them were unattainable and the idea of squatting while attractive, would be damaging to The Boot's reputation. By the end of the meeting they agreed to strengthen contact with other night shelters in the hope of helping them expand to take the probable overflow. In the meantime they would also keep looking for alternatives to accommodate The Boot. They also agreed to say nothing to the guests until there was a plan in place to look after them.

After the meeting Andy was being asked the details about the night he was injured and everyone expressed concern about his health and how he felt in general. Not really enjoying the attention he was playing it down when some of the guests started arriving early.

Bobbi was one of the first to arrive, seeing Andy she ran over and gave him the biggest that her petite size allowed. “I've wanted to do that since the other night, thank you again for helping me and I'm sorry that you got hurt. How are you feeling now?”

Andy winced as he pealed Bobbi's arms from around him, “As good as can be expected really, I'll be okay though but please no hugs it still hurts.”

“Sorry.” Bobbi released her grip and looked down.

“Hey it's okay I'll live. Have you spoken with Jeff yet?”

“No, I know he's a good guy but I find it difficult talking to men usually, it's different with you though but I'm still not sure I can talk to you about everything.”

“Maybe you should talk to Jenny, she's Jeff's assistant and helps him run The Boot.”

“No I can't, it's not easy to explain but I don't feel comfortable around her.” Bobbi's eyes closed and shuddered as she pictured her ex-partner, Jenny hadn't done anything wrong but reminded her too much of the bitch that beat her and tried to kill her.

“There is someone else who I can think of but she isn't here tonight, wait here while I check okay?” Bobbi nodded as he went to find Steve.

“Hey Steve I've a favour to ask.”

“Andy I think I know what you're going to ask and I can save you the trouble.” Andy looked puzzled. “Kate dropped the boys off earlier they are having a sleepover with JJ, then she's coming in to drop off a load of things that she's been baking, she's due any minute. Don't worry I'll get her to have a chat with Bobbi, does that answer your question?”

“Yeah it does, but how did you know?”

“Let's just call it a hunch and I think we can find her the right help, but I think she trust's you more than us so go and give her the news, you're the right one to do that.”

Bobbi was nervous but excited by the news, this time she was gentle when she hugged him and whispered, “You really are my super hero.”

Three weeks passed by, Andy's stitches had been removed and he has returned to work. Bobbi spoke to Kate a few times, it transpired that her ex-partner, a woman seventeen years her senior, was an unfaithful bully and abused her regularly. Bobbi was now staying in a women's refuge and planning on following her dream to be a nurse.

Jim started to volunteer at The Boot, he also invited everyone to the christening of his son's naming them Alexander Christian Jeffrey and Jamie Daniel Liam, I'll leave you guessing who most liked the choice of names.

After meetings with Jonathon and Jeff, Christian made informal enquiries with the planning department about a change of use for a warehouse that he owned. He was given a definite no. The bad news was that the guests had heard that The Boot had less than twelve months before it would close. This was following meetings with other shelters and the developer making his plans public by applying for planning permission, causing some tension in The Boot and a lot of tears among the guests. This was only partially relieved when Jeff announced that they were trying to find a way to keep The Boot open, even if it meant moving.

It was now early November and Christian was 'in a funk', unknown to him Steve had engineered the rota that put him and Andy manning The Little Boot together. Handing out sandwiches and hot to those living on the streets, advice and directions to various night shelters to those that wanted to know and blankets to those that didn't.

Conversation had been awkward because of Christian's insecurities, Andy spent the night biting his lip trying to give Christian the space that he needed. They handed out the last of the food at the same time as the hot drinks ran out, the last blanket had gone half an hour before that. That's when they decided to head back to The Boot.

They heard the sirens as they drove it wasn't unusual so they paid no attention to them until they hit roads that had been closed off by the police, every turn they took was blocked by never ending traffic caused by the road closures. The only information on the radio was that there was a police incident that resulted in a large part of the city centre being closed causing traffic chaos across a wide area. They eventually managed to get to where traffic was lighter but it had them going a long way out their way, they passed the time watching fireworks that were being let off by people oblivious to whatever was happening in the city centre. Andy turned down a side street just a burst of fireworks exploded in the air one immediately after the other, they seemed to light up the street ahead in flashes of different colours. Andy slammed on the brakes bringing the van to a halt and snapping Christian out of what ever daydream or deep thoughts he was in.

“Andy! What the hell man!”

“I'm sorry Chris but there is something I need to check out, I mean something that we need to check out.” He picked up a torch, jumped out of the van and ran to the passenger door almost dragging Christian out before hitting the remote to lock the van.

“Andy have you gone mad or something.”

“No, look, just look, this could be the answer to our problems.” Shining the torch over the building he was looking at, they saw a small empty mill, Andy rested the beam on the sign that caught his attention it read 'FOR SALE BY AUCTION' above the name and phone number of the auctioneer.

Christian looked at it in amazement, “I think you could be right.” As more fireworks exploded a feeling of euphoria overtook Christian and he grabbed hold of Andy and kissed him on the lips, just as quickly those feelings were replaced by feelings of guilt, “I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done that.”

When Christian went to pull away Andy pulled him back in, “Don't be sorry, I think you needed that, I know I did.” He closed the gap that had opened up and kissed Christian passionately on the lips, when the kiss was returned a duel of the tongues took place. Now the fireworks were going off in Christian's and Andy's heads as well as the surrounding streets.

There have been a lot of developments at The Boot. Andy is back in work. Bobbi has opened up and is now in a good place. The twins are going to be christened and I have to confess I do like the names Jim and Beccy chose, do you?
The sad news is that it looks like The Boot is going to close, or has a solution been found? And what or who are fireworks for? The Boot or ....
We'll find out soon though, but sad to say this story is nearing the end. Sad as that is there may still be future stories to be told.
I do appreciate the reactions left by readers and if you feel brave enough to leave a comment i promise to read and acknowledge it so please let me know what you think.
Copyright © 2019 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 7
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Finally!  Andy and John can now move into a closer relationship that might lead to happiness for both of them.  I hope they can get the building at a reasonable price.  

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Bobbi, a baby dyke, being beaten by a vicious, nasty older girlfriend. It sounds like an episode from the successful Aussie soap of the late 70's and the 80's Prisoner or Cell Block H as it was known in other parts of the world. Domestic violence is not only found in heterosexual relationships and men are not the only perpetrators. 

Finally some hot acton between Andy and John/Christian. Now the ice has been broken let's hope it stays that way. No more Fire & Ice (courtesy of Pat Benatar), just lots of Hot Stuff (courtesy of Donna, the goddess). 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, Summerabbacat said:

Bobbi, a baby dyke, being beaten by a vicious, nasty older girlfriend. It sounds like an episode from the successful Aussie soap of the late 70's and the 80's Prisoner or Cell Block H as it was known in other parts of the world. Domestic violence is not only found in heterosexual relationships and men are not the only perpetrators. 

Finally some hot acton between Andy and John/Christian. Now the ice has been broken let's hope it stays that way. No more Fire & Ice (courtesy of Pat Benatar), just lots of Hot Stuff (courtesy of Donna, the goddess). 

Most people tend to think that domestic violence only takes place in heterosexual relationships and that the perpetrator is always the man. The facts disprove this as the woman is the perpetrator is the woman in about 10%  of cases in heterosexual relationships. It is the case that domestic violence also happens in gay and lesbian relationships and are often ignored. Organisations have now accepted these facts and have taken, or are taking, steps to recognise this and extend their services.

Finally the barrier has been lowered between Andy and Christian, lets hope for a happy ending. 🤞

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..