Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 1,743 Words
  • 941 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Boot - Three Years On - 26. Chapter 26

Have you ever noticed that Christmas eve always seems to be a long day with lots of thing you need to do? You're not on your own, Christian has a busy day too and enlists Andy's help. There are surprises in store for them before they get some rest, but even then the day is still not finished. Read on and you will find out what keeps them busy.

After the excitement calmed down Christian asked Ian, “So what's this surprise that you have for me?”

Looking apprehensive Ian opened a drawer under the counter and took out a display pad covered in purple velvet, on it lay an array of different sized silver boots. “I hope you approve, what do you think?”

As a “Wow” escaped Andy's lips Christian picked one up that measured about one inch long and one inch high. “I love them, they are fantastic. What are you planning to do with them?”

Ian blushed deep red when Manny cut in. “It's not what he's planning, it's what he's done. After the meeting at The Boot he came in and worked hard on the design of the one you have in your hand and created a lapel badge. Since then he's been in the workshop out back, made a mould and has been producing them. When we put them in our window they started selling so fast he had to make more and other jewellers in the city asked him to produce more so they could sell them too. Within a week he was asked to make different ones for earrings, pendants on chains and that bigger one there as a broach. He's employed two other lads, both are son's of my friends, to ramp up production. Everyone is raving about them, he's become very popular among the trade, they are selling like hot cakes.”

“That is a surprise, you're doing great Ian.” You could hear the surprise in Christian's voice.

“That's not the surprise,” Manny continued, “have you read the inscription?”

Andy and Christian looked closer and saw that each one read, 'I support The Boot', Andy and Christian smiled.

Nervously Ian took out an envelope and passed it to Christian, “This is the surprise, I hope it helps in some small way.”

Opening the envelope Christian pulled out a check for two thousand pounds. “What's this?”

With a beaming smile Kevin chipped in, “That's for The Boot to help fund the new project.” Andy and Christian's eyes were darting from from the cheque to Ian and back. “And there will be more to come, all of the jewellers selling them have agreed with us that all profit from sales will go to The Boot, from my projections of sales that will mean about another ten thousand, give or take a hundred or two by the end of January.”

“Manny, lads, I can't thank you enough.” Christian croaked with emotion.

“Don't thank me this was all the lads idea, Ian has done the hard work in design and manufacture and this guy,” Manny pointed to Kevin, “He's been so good at selling the idea he could sell tea to China.” That had everyone laughing.

With the cheque in hand Andy and Christian set off to their next port of call. A local branch of a major supermarket chain had invited them to a special Christmas event. Pulling into the carpark they locked the car and entered the store. When they found the customer service desk they introduced themselves and listened as a call was put over the tannoy for the manager.

After introductions they were taken to a meeting room where they met project managers from other other charities, each accompanied by an assistant. They accepted an offer to help themselves to tea, coffee and biscuits from a table in the corner of the room and took their seats around the meeting room table.

Tapping the table to draw attention the manager spoke up. “Ladies and gentlemen, as you all know every Christmas we have our annual trolley dash for charity. We rotate it so that different charities take part every year, this year it is your turn. Now we do know that each of you may have different needs so before we go any further can you each in turn tell us what your needs are.”

A charity that gave support to children from disadvantaged homes needed toys. The two food banks needed food to support families on low incomes. Christian told them that as they had already had enough food they needed small personal items like hats, gloves, scarves, socks, underwear, personal care items for washing and shaving etc and bags for guests to keep their personal belongings and clothes in.

The manager then explained, “As you can imagine today we are very busy so the way in which we do it is this. We close and clear the store for fifteen minutes, in that time you will each be given a trolley and thirty seconds to collect one of each item that you require. I know that it doesn't seem a long time but this is done in separate runs, one for each charity and you will join each other in every run so you will be helping each others charities as well as your own. After all of the runs are finished we will take you and the trolleys into the warehouse and re-open the store to our customers.”

The project manager from one of the food banks spoke up, “I like the concept of us helping each other but one of each item isn't going to go far for any of us.”

“I understand your point but it doesn't end there. Naturally a normal trolley dash would clear our shelves but we have to keep them stocked for our customers.” The manager paused to take drink of coffee and raised a hand to avoid interruption then continued. “We will tell you how many of each item is in a case then you tell us how many cases you need for your immediate needs. That will then be loaded into a van and delivered to you within two hours. I hope this helps you all, now I have just been given the nod that they are ready for you in the store.”

When the trolley dashes started there was a frenzied attack on the shelves and some items place din trollies received strange looks, but one thing was for sure everyone had fun and they were exhausted at the end. There was some joking about some of the items until explanations were given amd all trolleys were full.

The food banks told of the single and elderly who had pets and relied on them for company so they needed pet food. The children's charity explained that Christmas day all children wanted to have there own Christmas sack and to have the enjoyment of ripping the wrapping paper from the gifts that Santa left them. Christian explained that not all homeless people were men, there are many women too and they like most women needed sanitary products. The food banks had't considered this but the manager agreed to add them to their list. Christian hadn't considered the excitement of unwrapping presents and again the manager added that to The Boot's list. When the deliveries were made all were happy to see the addition of Christmas sweets, chocolate and other confectionary that had been added for them.

When they stepped out of the supermarket it was snowing, Christian pressed the remote to unlock his car, “Come on let's make a dash for it,” and off he sprinted.

Andy beat him to the car, getting in first as he could he rubbed his hands together. “Brrr, it's getting cold already.”

“Yeah it is. Now I've one last thing to do before lunch and rest ready for tonight, when do you want me to drop you off?” Christian asked.

“That depends, what is it you have left to do?”

“I have an appointment with Jonathon at his office before he finishes for Christmas.”

“Drop me off first since your apartment is above the office it means less driving for you in this traffic and weather. I'll meet you at The Boot later.”

Carefully Christian drove out of the car park and joined the rest of traffic driving in the slushy mess that covered the road. The journey took longer than he anticipated due to the Christmas traffic and an accident caused by the slippery slush on the road.

“Sorry I'm a bit late Jonathon.”

“Don't worry about it Christian, I've let everyone go early because of the weather so it's just us here.”

Both men sat at the desk that Christian knew well, it had been his father's when he started the office. Jonathon had been one of the first employees making him the obvious choice to be CEO when his father retired. Christian regarded as Jonathon an uncle and knew that he would be retiring soon. His judgement would be trusted in appointing the next CEO and Christian silently vowed to maintain contact when the time came.

Jonathon coughed snapping Christian from his thoughts. “Right I have all of the documents here for you, they just need a signature in each of the places that I've marked then I can proceed. I had a call from the architect yesterday and he's suggested a couple of alterations.”

“Sounds interesting, what's he suggesting?” Christian was reading through the papers adding his signature where indicated.

“He suggests going with the original plan for the top floor and reducing the number of studio apartments by one not two. The current lounge space on the second floor could be reconfigured to include a communal kitchen, it could be used to help teach residents to cook and both can be used by all residents. By having seventeen studio apartments the remaining space can reconfigured for the original intended use and incorporate “safe rooms' that can then be used for counselling residents that would benefit from those services.”

“Jonathon what would I do without you? That's brilliant.”

“I can't take all the credit, when I discussed my proposal with the architect and explained the reasons he came up with the rest.”

“I'm sure everyone will agree so let's go with the new proposal.” Christian pushed the documents over Jonathon placing the pen on top of them.

Jonathon made copies of the signed documents and handed them to Christian. “Well that's everything for now, I'll get on with processing the rest as soon as the relevant offices open after the Christmas break.” The men shook hands and wished each other a merry Christmas, signalling the end of the meeting.

Christian left for a light lunch and rest, he would be busy later. Jonathon set the alarm, locked up and set off home.

Ian and Kevin have been busy, although it may not sound like a lot of money but as we all know every shelter needs all the money it can get and two thousand pounds, plus more to come, will help a lot at The Boot.
Thirty seconds for a trolley dash may not sound like a lot of time but when eight people are doing it they can do a lot of damage and fill a lot of trolleys.
I hope that Andy and Christian make the most of an afternoon's rest they will have a lot to do when they get to The Boot, there will be a lot of wrapping to do. I just hope that Cristian hasn't 'jumped the gun', The Boot hasn't even bought the building yet!!
As we are getting close to the end of this story I'd love to know what you think, all reactions and comments are appreciated and of course I will read and acknowledge all comments.
Copyright © 2019 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 4
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Ian is doing well and together with Kevin is building their business.  He's also making a name for himself as a jeweler.  I bet he starts getting requests for custom jewelry.  The Boot now has a new location that sounds like it will be much better for their friends.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, raven1 said:

Ian is doing well and together with Kevin is building their business.  He's also making a name for himself as a jeweler.  I bet he starts getting requests for custom jewelry.  The Boot now has a new location that sounds like it will be much better for their friends.

Suddenly the future is looking much brighter for The Boot, but wait for things to develop. Ian and Kevin are starting to experience success and they deserve it.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Ian a quiet achiever has shown a great deal of initiative, as well as artistic taste and craftsmanship apparently, to design jewellery pieces for sale to benefit The Boot. Unlike many, he appears to not only acknowledge but celebrate his humble beginnings and tough times earlier in life.  Well done to this young man.

The supermarket trolley dash had me equally confused and appalled. It sounded a little too much like the Boxing Day sales when normally tame and civilised women become vicious combatants, competing for overpriced shoes and handbags reduced to a fraction of their original selling price.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Ian is a caring and thoughtful young man, much like his partner Kevin, neither of them will forget or be ashamed of their brush with being homeless and their humble beginnings. It is a trait that will stand them in good stead in the future.

The trolley dash was a fun way for the supermarket to provide for several charities and provide them with what they want and need to help them in their goals, which is better than guessing and getting it wrong. I do not doubt that the supermarket would also be using it as a marketing ploy, as many do.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..