Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 2,318 Words
  • 2,038 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Boot - Three Years On - 11. Chapter 11

It's still Friday the 13th and there are still a few surprises in store before the day ends. Could this be a Friday the thirteenth to buck the trend? Let's find out.
The Major gets emotional, Danny feels guilty and Jason wakes up in hospital.
There is a tissue required warning with this chapter so please keep them handy.

The Major drank the last of his tea and placed his mug on the side table next to him. “I need to speak to John about my things, I hope he managed to keep everything safe for me.”

“Pop you’ve nothing to worry about everything is here and in your room.” Ian considered his next words carefully. “Only Christian, yes everyone knows now and I’ll explain later, has touched any of your things and he has put them all in your room for you. If my guess is right he’s probably had them all cleaned and I know he put everything away but you can change it all around if it doesn’t suit you, just let us know if you need any help.”

“You lads were sure of yourselves weren’t you?”

“Well Pop we did have some help and I don’t think any of us would argue with Sister Judy.” Kevin laughed nervously before saying, “Come on I’ll show you your room and you can check everything out.”

Leading the way Kevin showed The Major to his room, it was a decent size and had been fully furnished to make it as comfortable as possible. There was a full-size double bed made up with crisp white cotton linen, blankets and four huge feather pillows, side tables at either side of the bed with a large double wardrobe and a chest of drawers. At one end of the room was a desk and chair, at the other end by the window was an armchair and small table, lamps had been strategically placed about the room. On the pillows lay a sealed envelope and a flat wrapped package lay on the desk.

“I’ll leave you to check everything out, just let us know if there is anything else that you need and we can arrange it. As soon as you’re ready I’ll cook us something to eat, as its Friday I thought cod and chips would be good is that okay with you? I'll cook chicken tomorrow and get you that rib-eye steak for dinner Sunday.” Kevin stood by the door hoping that it all met with The Major’s approval.

Amazed at the room The Major made his way over to the bed and picked up the envelope. “Thank you Kevin that sounds good to me.” The Major’s voice sounded a bit crackly as if he was holding in his emotions.

Kevin closed the door returning to the lounge and Ian.

“Is Pop okay?” Ian was quiet and sounded concerned.

“Yea I think so, he just needs a bit of time to himself.”

******

The Major held the letter in his hand staring at it, he was having his own inner battle nervous at the thought of opening the envelope and reading its contents, yet at the same time feeling the need to know what had been written and by whom. He sat down in the chair by the window and placed the envelope on the table next to him. After fifteen minutes of staring he reached out and opened it, he unfolded the piece of paper inside and read…

 

Dear Alex,

I’m guessing that right now you are feeling overwhelmed and wondering if you have done the right thing so I wanted to put into words what I feel you need to know, that way you will always have something to remind you in those times that you need reminding.

From the first day I met you I knew that you was a good man, I remember you sticking up for Beccy that night and I’ve seen you do the same for many others over the years. Yet you have never asked for anything in return or asked for anything for yourself, now it’s time for some of that goodness in your heart that you give so freely is returned. Before you think of raising any objections or trying to argue I want you to think back three years when we first became friends, you came to me for help again not for yourself but for two hurt and scared young men. I helped by taking them off the streets and helped them to start a new life with somewhere to live, but you gave them so much more, you gave them guidance and helped them to rebuild their lives in a way no one else could do, it is down to the love and care that you have given that has made them the men that they are today, only you could and have done that. The bond that you have with them is why they look to you as though you are their father and I know that you couldn’t feel any stronger for them or be more proud of them than any father could. I know and I’m sure you know in your heart that you are where you belong, with your family, with your adopted son’s. Ian and Kevin call you Pop out of love and respect as do I, they want their Pop to be with them and be part of their lives so please always remember that and be comfortable in your new home.

Also I have a confession to make, I hope that you will forgive me and not be upset by what I have done. When I was putting your things away in your room I accidentally knocked your special box and it fell open, as I was picking everything up to put it back safely I noticed a couple of photo’s that you have and appear to cherish. They have seen better days and are showing signs of age. I know I did this without your permission or knowledge but I took them to a specialist who has placed them in sealed wraps so that they will not deteriorate any more. They have also copied them and with care they have retouched them so that the copies are as close to the originals as possible and placed them in frames. If you want to you can hang them on the wall or store them which ever makes you happy. I am sorry if I have done the wrong thing, I just wanted to try to do something nice for you.

Love

Christian.

 

The Major opened the package on his desk and tears formed in his eyes as he looked at the framed photos. One of an officer, a young Lieutenant in combat fatigues smiling at the camera. The other a photograph of different young man, wearing an army dress uniform smiling at the camera and holding up sergeant stripes, it looked like they had just been awarded.

Placing both framed photos side by side on the desk with tears now falling the Major whispered, “I’m sorry boys, I let you down. I promise that I will not let these boys down, they have given me another chance. I love and miss you both and I love them too.”

After using the bathroom to freshen up The Major made his way to the lounge and ‘his’ boys, in a rare show of affection he opened his arms and hugged them both. “Thank you boys you have made this old man happy, it feels good to be home.”

Almost in unison they replied, “Welcome home Pop, welcome home.”

******

As Beccy and Jim were tucking into pudding, chips, peas and gravy Beccy’s phone rang, she recognised the number and answered with a smile. “Hi Jason.”

Hearing the voice on the other end she first looked puzzled, then extremely upset. “Hello ma’am from the entry in this phone I believe that you are the mother of the young man who owns it, did you say his name is Jason?”

Thinking quickly she replied, “Yes that’s right, who are you and where is Jason?”

The expression on Jim’s face was one of worry.

“I’m sorry to inform you that Jason has been brought into A&E at Manchester Royal Infirmary, he is currently being assessed by our Doctor and is unconscious.”

“I’ll be there as soon as possible.”

“Thank you we thought that would be the case. I need to ask you a few questions so that we can help Jason, can you tell us if Jason has any medical problems that we should be aware of?”

“No none at all.” Jim was getting impatient wanting to know what was going on, Beccy told him to be patient and she would explain soon.

“Can you tell me if Jason is currently on any medication?”

“No he isn’t.”

“Can you tell me if Jason uses any recreational drugs?”

This last question made Beccy angry, “No he doesn’t, he’d never touch any drugs and what do you mean by that comment, don’t you dare go accusing him of anything he’s a good boy.”

“I’m sorry I didn’t mean to upset you but we have to ask these questions so that we give him the best treatment possible. I need to know Jason’s full name and date of birth?”

“Erm my name is Rebecca Andrews so his name is Jason Andrews he is eighteen and his father and I will be there as soon as possible.” Beccy was flustered by the last few questions and cut the call off.

“Jim we have to go the infirmary Jason is there unconscious, it seems he’s put me in his phone as his mum. I don’t know what we are going to do but we have to get there fast.

******

Danny was being comforted by Steve and Kate, hospital staff wouldn’t give them any details of the new patient except to say that his family had been called and they were on their way. The paramedics had found a mobile phone in his pocket and the only two contacts found had been contacted.

“I’m sure it’s JJ but they said his family is coming and JJ doesn’t have any family, what’s going on?” Danny was distraught and adamant that it was JJ.

While this was taking place in the reception area in an emergency cubicle a doctor was trying to treat the unconscious young man when a nurse entered holding a clip board. “Doctor I have some information but I’m not sure how reliable it is.”

“Okay nurse let’s have it anyway it may still be useful.”

“The lady listed as mum has given her name as Rebecca Andrews and confirmed that this should be Jason Andrews. He has no known medical conditions and is not receiving any treatment medical treatment or taking any prescribed medication. She was insistent that he doesn’t use any recreational drugs and became very upset when asked.”

“All of that sounds perfectly reasonable, so what makes you think its unreliable information?” The doctor continued to examine the boy and ordered blood tests to be rushed, also requesting an immediate CAT scan.

“When I asked for his date of birth she became flustered and just said that he’s eighteen, then said that she and his father would get here as soon as possible then cut me off!”

“Well did you think that she may be upset at hearing her son is in hospital?” The doctor was starting to get irritated by the nurse and it showed in his voice.

“I think we should be careful, she said he’s eighteen but he looks to be about fourteen or fifteen and there’s a boy in reception, I think you treated him, who claims to know him and he said his name is Jay or something.” The nurse was also getting annoyed as she felt that the doctor wasn’t listening.

“Okay nurse.” The doctor was starting to listen. “We’ll be careful just let me know when his parents turn up.”

The nurse had just got back to the reception when Beccy and Jim came rushing in. “I’m Rebecca Andrews I’ve come about Jason Andrews.”

“Thank you Mrs Andrews I’ll let the doctor know.” The nurse went to get the doctor.

Hearing the familiar voice and recognising the name Kate went to the reception desk. “Beccy? What are you doing here? Is everything alright?”

“Oh hi Kate, erm… I’m here about Jason, the hospital called me and they seem to think that I’m his mum. I don’t know what’s going on yet but maybe you can help.” Beccy went on to explain about the phone call and the confusion.

After listening Kate told Beccy and Jim to wait then called Steve and Danny over, she insisted that Beccy explain to Steve which she did. It was agreed that Beccy would go through and Steve would go with her. That left Jim, Kate and Danny in the reception area waiting.

When they met the doctor Steve explained how there had been confusion about Beccy’s relationship to Jason and that he was homeless and living on the street mostly staying at The Boot. He also explained about Danny’s reaction and asked for him to be allowed to see Jason as it may help in identifying Jason properly. Not happy, but understanding what had been explained the doctor agreed.

Steve got Danny and took him into Jason’s cubicle, as soon as Danny saw the boy on the bed he recognised him. “JJ, I’m sorry.” Danny felt bad for JJ and thought it was his fault that he was here. “Please be alright, I’ll do anything just please be okay.” Danny broke down sobbing.

Danny helped by giving the hospital all of JJ’s correct details and Steve contacted Danny’s social worker who it turned out was also JJ’s social worker.

The social worker turned up just as the blood test results were given to the doctor. JJ had regained consciousness, although feeling very groggy he was happy to see Danny. When the doctor informed them of the test results they were all shocked. JJ was lucky not to be seriously harmed, someone had given him a high dose of Rohypnol!

It looks like The Major has found a place to call home, let's hope he settles and is happy.
Danny is a good boy and it's easy to understand why he feels responsible for Jason/JJ ending up in hospital, of course he isn't and he will come to realise that.
It's good that blood tests were done so quickly on JJ, that's how they found out why he collapsed. Rohypnol leaves the blood stream quickly and causes effects that nobody wants to suffer, I'll bet you've already guessed who gave it to him, so what happens now to Bill?
I enjoy reading the comments that some of you leave, I'd like to hear from more of you so let me know what you think. I always read and take notice of your comments. 😀
I have written this without the aid of an editor or beta reader as that is how I have chosen to do it so any errors are all mine, if you spot any let me know and I'll put them right as soon as I can.
Copyright © 2019 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 8
  • Wow 4
  • Angry 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I hope that Beccy & Jim are able to turn that white lie into the truth! I think Jason would be a great addition to their family. I know Danny would be happier too.
;–)

  • Love 2
Link to comment

I’m glad that the Major seems to have accepted his new living situation with Kevin & Ian.

Our society doesn’t encourage different generations interacting together on a daily basis the way they did in the past. Few of us grew up with our grandparents living in the same house. People are so mobile, most of our relatives live far away, not nearby as they would have decades ago.

Younger and older people can teach each other more than we realize…
;–)

  • Love 2
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I hope that Beccy & Jim are able to turn that white lie into the truth! I think Jason would be a great addition to their family. I know Danny would be happier too.
;–)

It's a good idea in many ways but there are couple of problems with that, don't forget they are in hostel accommodation at present and it's a long process to her registered foster parents here in the UK.

3 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I’m glad that the Major seems to have accepted his new living situation with Kevin & Ian.

Our society doesn’t encourage different generations interacting together on a daily basis the way they did in the past. Few of us grew up with our grandparents living in the same house. People are so mobile, most of our relatives live far away, not nearby as they would have decades ago.

Younger and older people can teach each other more than we realize…
;–)

I think The Major just needed that extra push and the photo's that Christian had framed for him may have had something to do with it too, all will become clear in time.

  • Love 3
Link to comment

It must be a busy Emergency department at that hospital with all the people needing treatment. I'm glad Danny is okay, but I'm seriously wondering what sort of person Bill is, who he knows, and where he gets his drugs, but most of all, if things hadn't gone wrong, what was Bill intending to do with Danny. Whatever he had planned it looks like nothing good, in fact it seems to me he was intending to pass poor Danny on to some dubious people. All very dark and sinister!

 

  • Love 5
Link to comment

Another interesting and well written chapter, @Mancunian. :thumbup:

I'm wondering who the two young men in the photographs are. They obviously mean/meant a lot to the Major.

Let's hope that JJ/Jason's living situation gets sorted out to everyone's satisfaction...

And Bill definitely needs his wings clipped.

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Talo Segura said:

It must be a busy Emergency department at that hospital with all the people needing treatment. I'm glad Danny is okay, but I'm seriously wondering what sort of person Bill is, who he knows, and where he gets his drugs, but most of all, if things hadn't gone wrong, what was Bill intending to do with Danny. Whatever he had planned it looks like nothing good, in fact it seems to me he was intending to pass poor Danny on to some dubious people. All very dark and sinister!

 

Hi @Talo Segura thanks for the comments, it's always good to hear from you. Bill is not a nice character, he already has a past that we know of, he's been on the streets for a while and has become what we call 'street-wise' he knows a lot of dubious people. He's a bully who is determined to get what he wants, maybe 'karma' will play a part in his future.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, Marty said:

Another interesting and well written chapter, @Mancunian. :thumbup:

I'm wondering who the two young men in the photographs are. They obviously mean/meant a lot to the Major.

Let's hope that JJ/Jason's living situation gets sorted out to everyone's satisfaction...

And Bill definitely needs his wings clipped.

 

Thank you @Marty for the comments, I've never considered myself a writer until coming on GA, all I can do is try my best so comments from other authors do mean a lot.

There is a tale that gives us a clue as to who these young men are and it can be read in Lost Soul - The Ox it's a back story to The Major, part 1 has been posted and part 2 will be coming soon.

JJ/Jason's situation does get sorted, but we will have to wait to find out how happy he will be with it.

As for Bill well as I've said to others again we have to wait to find out, but we have all heard the saying 'what goes around comes around', so who knows?

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Mancunian said:

There is a tale that gives us a clue as to who these young men are and it can be read in Lost Soul - The Ox it's a back story to The Major, part 1 has been posted and part 2 will be coming soon.

Yea, I sort of suspected it may have been those two young men. And I'm eagerly awaiting part two of The Ox. I just wasn't sure if they may have actually been the Major's sons or something....

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment

You were right - that was a Kleenex chapter - especially with the Major and those pictures.

Another great chapter to a great story.  :)

 

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Thank you again @KayDeeMac for taking the time to comment it's appreciated, it's readers comments that encourage me to continue. The tissues may be a regular need throughout the story, for both sad and happy tears. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

This was just a perfect chapter and well written and the dialogue was  just great. Danny part couldn't have been better!  The letter was so great and the Major is so happy!

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Yes amidst the hurt and anguish there are some good things happening. I think The Major is happy with Christian's letter and what he has done. Danny is still unpin but the adrenaline is keeping it at bay, let's hope for good things for him and JJ. As for Bill it looks like he's got away.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

The tissue warning was needed very much.  Danny being attacked, then finding Jason being wheeled into emergency was heart breaking.  Jason was lucky that he was rescued.  I hope that Bill will get a new home in a prison.  Using a date rape drug on Jason goes beyond evil.  He didn't even get the dose right, and I don't know whether that was fortunate or not for Jason.  Jason almost lost his life, but at least he wasn't raped by Bill.  Christian's letter and gift to Major was a real tearjerker.  I went through a lot of tissues with that one.  I agree with the comment that it was probably what made Major decide to stay with his boys.  I am looking forward to the backstory of the pictures.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

We are all familiar with the phrase 'Good can come out of evil', I'm not sure that is the case for the most part but in this instance some good at least will come. Jason/JJ has a long battle for recovery but I feel confident he will get there. I'm sure life will catch up to Bill 🤞. As we all have discovered Christian is a good man, his letter and actions are motivated by his affection for The Major and I think are appropriate. 

The back story behind the pictures is a sad one and can be found in The Major's own story, Lost Soul - The Ox.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

The Major may be a little bit of curmudgeon (although I suspect some of this is bluff), but he definitely has a "softer" side to him too. His naughtiness was all forgiven, and understandably so, when he stated “Thank you boys you have made this old man happy, it feels good to be home.” How this acceptance of their love must have warmed the hearts of Ian and Kevin.

So Jason an JJ are one and the same. I expect Danny and he will reconnect, and I know they do of course as I am reading What Happened To The Baxter Boys. Speaking of the latter, I think what drew me to read it was its similar title to the British TV comedy of the early 70's Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads. I am almost certain I saw at least some of this show on the ABC (Australia's equivalent to the BBC). My family used to watch a lot of shows on the ABC and British comedies were always a favourite. 

Perhaps someone will lace Bill's lunch with crack cocaine (is there a rapper in the vicinity of The Boot?)

 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Love 2
Link to comment
21 minutes ago, Summerabbacat said:

The Major may be a little bit of curmudgeon (although I suspect some of this is bluff), but he definitely has a "softer" side to him too. His naughtiness was all forgiven, and understandably so, when he stated “Thank you boys you have made this old man happy, it feels good to be home.” How this acceptance of their love must have warmed the hearts of Ian and Kevin.

So Jason an JJ are one and the same. I expect Danny and he will reconnect, and I know they do of course as I am reading What Happened To The Baxter Boys. Speaking of the latter, I think what drew me to read it was its similar title to the British TV comedy of the early 70's Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads. I am almost certain I saw at least some of this show on the ABC (Australia's equivalent to the BBC). My family used to watch a lot of shows on the ABC and British comedies were always a favourite. 

Perhaps someone will lace Bill's lunch with crack cocaine (is there a rapper in the vicinity of The Boot?)

 

The Major loves Ian and Kevin, but I think he doubted their feelings for him, now he has it confirmed and hopefully will settle down and enjoy his new life.

Yep Jason and JJ are one and the same. By reading the new story you know the final outcome for them but this will fill in a couple of blanks for you.

The old comedies are the best, I'll often watch them when I need a good laugh.

Thank you for the comments my friend, please keep them coming. :hug:

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 11/9/2022 at 8:03 PM, raven1 said:

The tissue warning was needed very much.  Danny being attacked, then finding Jason being wheeled into emergency was heart breaking.  Jason was lucky that he was rescued.  I hope that Bill will get a new home in a prison.  Using a date rape drug on Jason goes beyond evil.  He didn't even get the dose right, and I don't know whether that was fortunate or not for Jason.  Jason almost lost his life, but at least he wasn't raped by Bill.  Christian's letter and gift to Major was a real tearjerker.  I went through a lot of tissues with that one.  I agree with the comment that it was probably what made Major decide to stay with his boys.  I am looking forward to the backstory of the pictures.

I quoted myself because I still have the same reaction to this chapter.  I did read Lost Soul- The Ox a few days ago, which provides the backstory for the pictures. That is another heartbreaker. Harry and The Major's talk in The Baxter Boys has a lot more depth and meaning to me now. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, raven1 said:

I quoted myself because I still have the same reaction to this chapter.  I did read Lost Soul- The Ox a few days ago, which provides the backstory for the pictures. That is another heartbreaker. Harry and The Major's talk in The Baxter Boys has a lot more depth and meaning to me now. 

Your rereading and commenting has brought back the same allergies I had when writing this story. It also shows how reading all of the stories can make a difference to the reading experience.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..