Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 1,532 Words
  • 2,237 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Boot - Three Years On - 13. Chapter 13

There are developments on many fronts of The Boot's story, some good and some not so good, others totally unexpected. The Major gets a talking to, and is he being propositioned?
Chapter warning: - There is some mention of abuse but there is no graphic detail, if this may offend or cause upset please read with caution.
Keep the kleenex handy, just in case.

Ian and Kevin were walking through Piccadilly Gardens when they spotted a familiar figure going into the convenience store by the bus station, glancing at each other they nodded then broke into a sprint. As they entered, they spotted the familiar figure talking to the assistant asking for a bottle of single malt.

“Are you sure you want this sir? You don’t look that well to me and I can see you’re upset.” The assistant looked concerned as he spoke.

“Yes, I’m sure and don’t worry I have money to pay for it.” The reply was an angry one, spat out as two ten-pound notes were slapped onto the counter.

“I’m sorry I didn’t mean to imply anything.” The assistant turned to reach for the bottle, he heard the trembling voice of a young man speak to his customer, he left the bottle and turned back.

“Pop what are you doing? You don’t need that, come home please.” The upset and desperation could be heard in Ian’s voice.

“You… you… you don’t need me there, getting in your way and causing arguments between you both.” The Major, although upset was determined.

“You’re not in the way or causing arguments, now come home please.” Ian was ready to beg if he had to.

“No, I can’t, it’s your home and I’m in the way.” The Major’s stubborn streak was showing through.

As Kevin went to speak the assistant raised his hand to stop him. “Let me.” He fixed his gaze on The Major and decided to camp it up. “Now listen to me Pop, these two lovely young men, who make a gorgeous couple by the way, want you to go back home with them and I suggest you do just that. If you don’t I might if they’ll have me, but I think they need their Pop more.” He stopped and swallowed as if he were holding back on his emotions. “Don’t do to them what my dad did to me, go home, they love you, they need you. Something tells me that you’ve not been well, and I’d like to see you again when you’ve regained your health, maybe we could have dinner and chat.”

The Major looked flustered, he glanced at the lads and just nodded, as he bent to pick up his bags Ian beat him to it, together they started out of the store.

Kevin approached the assistant and read the name on his badge. “Peter, I can’t thank you enough, he means the world to us.”

“You just have, now take him home and look after him he needs it. I’ve seen him around here before when he had no-one and no where to call home, now he has you and the family he deserves. He’s a good man with heart of gold, I’ve seen him share what he has with others when he needs it more. They call him The Major, don’t they? I’d love to know his real name and get to know him.” Something in Peter’s voice told Kevin that he genuinely cared and admired The Major.

“Alex, his name is Alex but don’t let on that I told you. I’m Kevin and,” pointing at Ian, “he is Ian, my boyfriend. I’ll come back soon to talk with you, is that okay?” Kevin was smiling as he spoke.

“I’ll be looking forward to it Kevin.” At that Kevin rushed out to catch up with Ian and The Major.

******

Danny was down and sullen, he sat at the table with his meal in front of him. He wasn’t eating, he didn’t feel as though he could, just pushed the food around with his fork. There was a lot going on in that young head and he felt the tears slowly form before they trickled down his cheeks.

“Danny… Danny, I know you’re upset but try to eat something, you’ll feel better for it. You need to be strong for JJ, he needs your friendship, I know you have feelings for him.” It was just Kate and Danny at the table, Steve was needed at The Boot that night.

“I guess you’re right, but why can’t he come here to live with us? I’ll look after him, I promise, and we wouldn’t give you any trouble.” Danny was desperately trying to understand why JJ couldn’t live with Kate and Steve too.

Kate’s heart went out to the boy as she placed her arm around his shoulders and pulled him into her. “I know honey, but JJ needs some special help to deal with what he’s been through and that’s going to take a bit of time. When he’s ready then we can talk to the social worker again, but like she said they may not be able to place you together. Remember she did promise that he wouldn’t be going back to that home again and you can still see each other.”

“I know but it sucks.”

“Hush honey everything will be okay, it may take a little time, but it will work out for the best.” Kate was hoping that she was right, she didn’t like to see Danny upset and she didn’t like the thought of JJ going into a Child Psychiatric Unit.

******

Steve sat alone in the office, he had spoken to Andy and Christian about the days events and thought it best that he got on with the admin leaving others to do the practical stuff. Beccy and Jim had been in to share their good news and he needed to see what help he could arrange. He had hoped to speak to Jeff, but he had been called to some urgent business earlier that day and needed to take some time off.

Everyone at The Boot was happy for Beccy and Jim, news like theirs was welcome it re-enforced hope, something that at times was lacking at The Boot. Some were giving decorating and furnishing advice, even though there were some impractical and outlandish ideas they were all taken in good spirits. Through all of it there was also an air of upset as everyone knew what had happened to Jason/JJ, many had taken to the outwardly happy youngster and were grateful to him for helping to provide the mobile phones and laptops that they could now use at The Boot. There was one who’s absence wasn’t missed, nobody had seen Bill since Friday, it was like he had disappeared from the face of the earth.

******

In the Blackley district two police vans and a dog unit drew up next to a patrol car, the younger of the two officers in the car had radioed through for assistance following a report from a concerned passer-by. He was out walking his dog when he had witnessed two older men carrying what appeared to be a body into the woods of Boggart Hole Clough. When he showed the officers the entry site and signs were seen of disturbed undergrowth the call had been placed.

A sergeant from the first van took charge. He instructed the dog unit to take the lead, the hope was that the dog would get a scent and follow it, the remainder of the officers were to follow at a distance spaced out, ready to surround whatever was found.

It didn’t take long for the dog to react and the officers followed, with the dog straining at the leash the handler ran with him, hearing movement ahead he gave out a warning before releasing the dog. Within moments he heard the dog growl and voices just ahead. Giving instructions to remain still he approached his dog. Two men were trying unsuccessfully to climb a tree with his dog just a few feet away. The other officers heard the handler and started to catch up, when they saw the handler and his dog, they formed a circle around them. With the dog now on his leash the sergeant approached, catching his foot on something in he fell landing on a warm inanimate body.

Startled and using his flashlight he checked out what, or who, he had landed on. He looked at the breathing but barely conscious half naked body of a young man, he couldn’t find any obvious injuries but instructed that he must not be moved until paramedics arrived. The two men were handcuffed and arrested then dragged to the vans and taken to the police station. Paramedics were quickly on the scene and checking out the young man, finding no injuries he was strapped to a stretcher and carried to a waiting ambulance which left with blue lights flashing and sirens blaring.

The sergeant followed in the patrol car and received several messages via his radio on the journey. Although not talking one of the arrested men had been identified as a William Matthews, known to the police and wanted for breach of parole. Arriving at the hospital the sergeant asked to speak to the doctor in confidence. As part of the investigation and due to the circumstances that the young man was found, an examination for sexual assault should be carried out and a blood test was required for drugs, specifically Rohypnol.

Hopefully The Major get's the message and stays at home in future, he misunderstood a situation and reacted out of insecurity and he's still vulnerable even though he won't admit it. JJ is now going to get the help he needs, hopefully his future is now brighter, is Danny worrying unnecessarily? We'll find out soon. There are no prizes for guessing who the reprobate arrested is, he's about to have his wings clipped.
Thank you to all who are continuing to read, especially those who have left their reactions and comments, they all mean a lot to me and are valued so please leave your comments, I do take notice of them.
I have written this without the aid of a bets reader or editor as that is my choice so any errors are all mine, let me know if you spot any and I'll correct them as I can.
Copyright © 2019 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 10
  • Wow 2
  • Angry 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It’s good that Kevin & Ian found the Major. It’s also good that Bill and his co-conspiritor got caught. Danny won’t agree, but it’s better that JJ gets the help that he needs before they find a place for him.
;–)

What’s going on with Jeff?

Edited by droughtquake
  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, droughtquake said:

It’s good that Kevin & Ian found the Major. It’s also good that Bill and his co-conspiritor got caught.Danny won’t agree, but it’s better that JJ gets the help that he needs before they find a place for him.
;–)

What’s going on with Jeff?

Hopefully the lads can help The Major deal with his insecurities, he needs to so that he can build that future. Yep Bill got caught red handed which is good as he cannot get away with anything then. JJ will get the help that he needs to help overcome his bad experiences, all the adults can see that he needs it and agree, but like many of Danny and JJ's age Danny doesn't understand the importance of this.

Jeff was called away on urgent business, he has something important to deal with, I don't know if we will find out what it is. 😉

  • Love 2
Link to comment

I just noticed that this story is now listed, not only as the second book in The Boot series, but also a member of The Boot world!
;–)

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

After looking at the way other authors listed their stories I decided to follow suit. It keeps The Boot series in chronological order making it easier for both readers and myself. By introducing The Boot world it keeps all of the linking stories together, hopefully this also makes it easier for readers to follow them as they are posted. 😀

The final part of Lost Soul - The Ox is due to be posted either later today or tomorrow. Then it's decision time, which lost soul do I write next. 😀 🤔

  • Love 2
Link to comment

The Major was certainly being propositioned, but he didn’t seem to know how to react. Peter not only remembered him as a customer, but went to the effort of finding out what everyone called him. And then asked Kevin what his name was.

Even though the Major has had several Gay friends, he doesn’t seem to be attracted to men.
;–)

Edited by droughtquake
  • Love 2
Link to comment

My apologies for the unexpected and unplanned break, I'll be getting back to writing as soon as possible.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I owe a huge apology to everyone who has been reading this story. For reasons that I will not go into I found myself unable write and finish what I started. I previously raised false hopes in some who were looking forward to the upcoming chapters. For all of this I am extremely sorry and can only hope that you can find it in you to forgive me, I will understand and accept if you can't.

It is my intention to continue the story and have spent a little time rereading and editing this and other stories.

I have written the next chapter and after I have checked, rechecked and done what I can with editing I will post chapter 14, hopefully in the next couple of days.

I am sorry and apologise to you everyone.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

For some reason I seem to have missed this chapter when it was originally posted around ten months back. Indeed I had to go back and re-read the previous couple of chapters, just to refresh my memory of the various storylines. 

As I was reared in the Greater Manchester area, so many of the places mentioned are familiar to me, which makes the story all that more interesting to me. :yes:

I'm wondering whether Peter is going to feature in future chapters. I get the impression that he may have an interesting backstory... :unsure2:

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Marty said:

For some reason I seem to have missed this chapter when it was originally posted around ten months back. Indeed I had to go back and re-read the previous couple of chapters, just to refresh my memory of the various storylines. 

As I was reared in the Greater Manchester area, so many of the places mentioned are familiar to me, which makes the story all that more interesting to me. :yes:

I'm wondering whether Peter is going to feature in future chapters. I get the impression that he may have an interesting backstory... :unsure2:

Hi @Marty it's good to hear from you and see that you're still there, my apologies for the long delay in returning and continuing with the story.

I did consider using made up place names but then decided that I could best picture and describe places that I know which is why use the correct place names and locations, I hope that you and other readers approve.

As for who is in future chapters, well who knows the story is still unfolding 😉

Oh and just so you know the first of a new instalment of Lost Soul is now posted on GA, I hope you read and like it.

Edited by Mancunian
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Well I'm soooo happy to have found the continuation of this story.  It is truly one of my all time favorites.  Thank you Mancunian!

  • Love 2
Link to comment
5 hours ago, KayDeeMac said:

Well I'm soooo happy to have found the continuation of this story.  It is truly one of my all time favorites.  Thank you Mancunian!

Thank you that means a lot to me. I'm sorry it took so long for me to get back to the story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Thanks to that passerby and the prompt actions of a young police officer a young man was saved the indignity of any further harm and possible sexual assault. Bill and his accomplice are where they belong, in the hands of the police, I think we can rest assured that they will get what they deserve.

The Major has been found so let's keep our fingers crossed 🤞that things will work out.

Things are looking up for Beccy and Jim, sharing their news may look like gloating but in The Boot it's good news and this type of good news helps give hope to others.

Danny may not be happy about JJ going into a child psychiatric unit but it's what JJ needs to help him deal with his traumatic past, hopefully this will help him in the long run.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

I hope Bill and his accomplice get the punishment they deserve.  I hope the police arrived in time to save the teen.  It was funny that the store clerk made a pass at Ox, I brightened the mood.  I feel much better now Major is home with his boys.  

Edited by raven1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Being caught 'red-handed' it is my hope that Bill and his friend can and will be dealt with by the courts. Luckily, due to prompt action, the young lad didn't come to any lasting harm. I like to add a bit of humour when I can, the store clerk making a pass at The Major felt like a good idea to raise all of our spirits. Now The Major is on his way back home hopefully he will start to deal with his own issues, he may need some professional help, but I know the boys will look out for him.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Perhaps William Matthews will join fellow rock spider, Graham Peterson, at Her Majesty's pleasure (as it was then). Bubba will be rubbing his hands with glee, not one but two new bitches, although neither is likely to be "young fresh meat", more likely to be toughened, overcooked and dried out.

The Major seems to be well known in the community. He may have been a drunkard and homeless, but it seems that neither circumstances lessened his innate goodness and kindness.

This story flows so easily @Mancunian. I have to wonder if it worked that way for you as its author, but for this reader at least, it is an effortless exercise to read and absorb.

 

 

 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Summerabbacat said:

Perhaps William Matthews will join fellow rock spider, Graham Peterson, at Her Majesty's pleasure (as it was then). Bubba will be rubbing his hands with glee, not one but two new bitches, although neither is likely to be "young fresh meat", more likely to be toughened, overcooked and dried out.

The Major seems to be well known in the community. He may have been a drunkard and homeless, but it seems that neither circumstances lessened his innate goodness and kindness.

This story flows so easily @Mancunian. I have to wonder if it worked that way for you as its author, but for this reader at least, it is an effortless exercise to read and absorb.

 

 

 

Thank you for the kind comments. I'm happy that you find it easy to read and enjoy. I enjoyed writing it and found that some parts were easy to write and flowed easily, some parts were difficult to write for various reasons but the writing was still a pleasure.

The Major is one of those characters that stands out, once seen never forgotten. He has an 'air' about him which could be a trait from his military days, but he was always a gentleman no matter how bad things got.

William Matthews and his cohort will be dealt with, but it may surprise you.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I had totally forgotten the two major pieces in this chapter.  Peter flirting with The Major was fun.  I am sure that one of the attackers was Bill.  I hope he and his accomplice are headed for jail, permanently!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, raven1 said:

I had totally forgotten the two major pieces in this chapter.  Peter flirting with The Major was fun.  I am sure that one of the attackers was Bill.  I hope he and his accomplice are headed for jail, permanently!

I loved adding the flirting as a bit of humour, I thought it was needed in a story as serious as this.

The attackers of the anonymous victim are in police custody, it's where they belong and can be dealt with.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..