Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 2,029 Words
  • 2,533 Views
  • 24 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Boot - Three Years On - 6. Chapter 6

It's been a busy day and some people are tired with a lot to do. Kevin is writing his shopping list for The Major, meanwhile Ian has a favour to ask. There is a newcomer in Kate and Jeff's house and it get's very emotional.
From this weekend I'll be away on holiday for a couple of weeks, if it's possible I'll get another chapter posted before I go, even if I can't I'll be back to the story as soon as I'm back home.

John had left the hospital with the lads dropping them off at their apartment in The Northern Quarter, they were tired and had plans to sleep for a few hours. As he was about drive off his mobile phone rang, he knew by the ring tone that it was Jeff. After being briefly told of the nights events he decided against getting changed into his ‘night time’ clothes and drove straight to The Boot.

On entering he didn’t notice Beccy and Jim or the young man with them, he made his way straight to the office to speak with Jeff and was given all the details of the night’s events. He had mixed feelings about what had happened he felt disappointed as he hadn’t wanted anyone to know about his wealth, at the same time he felt relief as there were times that it was tiring keeping up the pretence. His main concern was how this would affect The Boot and being there to help those on the streets, it was difficult to gain the trust of homeless people and this would be seen as something big in their eyes and could cause a huge loss of trust that may never be regained.

When he was told about Beccy, Jim and Jason waiting in the lounge to have a talk with Jeff he decided to speak with them hoping to gauge the feelings toward him. John was relieved and almost overwhelmed at the reaction he got from them, this gave him hope that the work of The Boot and its relationship with homeless people wouldn’t be as damaged as he feared.

A few minutes later he left with Andy to pick up The Major’s possessions. Thoughts of how best to help Beccy and Jim were playing on his mind. Jason was never far from his thoughts, he looked so young and something that he couldn’t put his finger on just didn’t feel right.

Andy had his own questions which were asked some of which were answered as they set about their task.

******

Kevin couldn’t settle when they got home and decided to start getting ready a few of the things needed for The Major before making a list of what they needed to buy that afternoon.

Kevin asked, “Babes, what time do you want to go to The Arndale so we can get Pop’s stuff?” He looked tired and his eyes were closing. “And can you asking Manny if you can have a couple of days off, you know that would give us time to talk Pop round and make sure his room is ready.”

“Good thinking hun, I’ll call him now. As for going in to town I think if we leave it till about four we could get pop’s stuff and eat before going to the hospital, maybe a burger or something how’s that sound?”

“Yeah I can go with that. Now you make your call then we can get some sleep, I’ll set the alarm three o’clock should do it.” Kevin made his way to their bedroom leaving Ian to make his call.

Manny, Emanuel Goldstein, had been Ian’s boss for the last eighteen months, teaching him how to make and repair jewellery, and run the shop that he owned in Prestwich. He enjoyed his job and was learning a lot at fast rate which pleased Manny, he knew he still had a lot to learn and like many jobs he would always be learning. He enjoyed his job and wanted to make this his lifetime profession.

Ian had the number saved in his phone and only needed to press a couple of buttons to make his call which was answered quickly hearing Manny’s voice. “Good morning Goldstein’s Fine Jewellery, how can I help you?”

“Good morning Manny it’s Ian, I was wondering if I could ask favour of you.” The tiredness was evident in his voice.

“Ian my boy, are you alright? You don’t sound very well, if you're ill and need time off I’ll understand so tell me what’s wrong?” Manny was genuinely concerned, he liked Ian and having no children of his own he treated Ian like a son and those feelings extended to Kevin too.

“Thank you I’m ok just very tired, Kev and I have been at the hospital all night with Pop.”

“What? Is he alright? What’s happened? Now tell me and take as much time as you need, I know how much you care about him. After all is said and done he is like your family, he is your Papa so you look after him as well as yourself and Kevin. Don’t forget if you need anything, anything at all, just let me know and it will be done.”

Ian explained everything to a very concerned Manny and promised to only take a few days off. This was extended to a week with full pay at Manny’s insistence. Although born into the Jewish religion Manny was not a practising Jew for reasons of his own, but still lived by many of the tenets of the religion and would offer help to anyone who genuinely needed it. When the college had placed Ian with him for work experience he had been impressed by his work ethic and willingness to learn. Over time he had got to know the young man, learned of his life and of his relationship with Kevin and all about The Major. Ian had earned the respect, trust and affection that Manny had for him.

Thanking Manny again, Ian ended the call and joined a sleeping Kevin in bed.

******

When Steve got home he parked on the drive and walked around the back of the house, it was a habit of his preferring to enter through the kitchen. As he opened the door he knew by the smells meeting his nostrils that Kate was feeling tense and probably nervous, she was baking her favourite comfort food, not that he would complain he liked mince pies even if it was the middle of April.

He stepped behind her placing his arms around her waist, his chin on her shoulder and kissed her neck, “Are you feeling nervous?”

“Mmmm …. do that again, I’m feeling better now your home.” Kate stopped rolling pastry and turned around.

“So what are you making, as well as the mince pies?”

“Well I thought apple pies, cherry pies, and chocolate muffins. For dinner tonight a choice of lasagne, pizza or beef burgers, all homemade of course. What we don’t use you can take to The Boot tomorrow after we drop off Danny. That’s ok with you isn’t it?” Kate was in her element, she enjoyed cooking and although nervous she was looking forward to having Danny stay over. The visits at the children’s home had gone well and she was already growing fond of the fourteen year old boy who would be their first foster child.

“Yep that’s fine with me, now let me go get some rest before they arrive I’m shattered.” As Steve went to leave the kitchen he turned and asked, “By the way, who’s choosing what we have for dinner?”

“Danny of course, he’s the guest. Why?”

Trying to hide a smile Steve fixed his eyes on Kate, “You don’t play fair, you know how to win anyone over tempting them with your cooking. But that’s just one reason why I fell in love with you.” Laughing Steve made his way to bed for a few hours’ sleep.

Later in the day Steve woke to the sound of voices down stairs in the lounge, checking the time he wondered who it was he could hear it was too early for Danny and his Social Worker, they weren’t due till four o’clock. Getting out of bed he had a shower and shave, combed his hair, got dressed and went down stairs. Entering the lounge he was surprised to find Danny was already there and watching TV on his own.

“Hi Danny you’re early is everything ok and where’s Kate and your Social Worker?” Steve was puzzled but pleased to see Danny.

Jumping to his feet Danny was apprehensive and stared at his feet. “I’m sorry if I woke you up sir I didn’t mean to. My Social Worker needed to drop me off early to go to an important meeting, Mrs Barton said it was alright she’s in the kitchen cleaning up. I did offer to help but she wouldn’t let me.” Danny looked like he was getting very upset.

Steve sat on the sofa next to where Danny had been sat, letting out a short sigh he spoke quietly to the nervous boy. “Danny look at me,” the boy stood frozen looking at his feet. “Danny look at me please.” When Danny eventually looked up Steve spoke again. “Danny I thought we had got past sir and Mr and Mrs Barton. We all agreed that you should call us Kate and Steve or if you prefer Aunt and Uncle, you’re coming to live with us to have a home and we want you to be happy and comfortable. You do still want to live with us don’t you?”

By now Danny was fighting back tears and rushed his words. “Yes sir I do, but you might not want me to stay when I tell you something about myself. I wanted my Social Worker to be here when I told you so she could take me back when you told me to go, but since she’s not here I’ll walk back after I tell you.”

“Danny we’re not going to tell you to go, we want you here and there isn’t anything you can say that will change that. Come here and sit down, if there is something that you think you need to tell us can I call Kate then you only need to say it once.” Steve called out for Kate, he had a good idea what was going to be said and wanted her to be with him to help comfort Danny.

Kate stood in the doorway looking puzzled as Danny gathered his courage and blurted out. “I don’t like girls I like boys I’m gay and nobody likes me or wants me because I’m gay.” Crying he tried to run past Kate but she gathered him in a hug not letting go. Kate’s tears ran down her cheeks, she could feel his strength leave him as he shook sobbing.

She led him back into the room sitting him down on the sofa between her and Steve. As Steve went to hug him Danny flinched, but Steve continued to put his arm around him and embraced him the same as a father would when his child is hurting.

“Ok you’ve said what you wanted to say, now can I tell you something?” Steve asked, Danny nodded his head. “We already knew, we guessed when we first saw you and your Social Worker confirmed it for us. None of us said anything because we decided that it was your private business and agreed that we should leave it for you to tell us if and when you decided you wanted to. We still want you and you still have a home here with us if you want it and your bedroom is still upstairs for you.”

Danny was processing what he heard as he started to calm down wiping his tears with his hands Kate spoke to him. “I only want to know one thing, do you have a boyfriend and if you do, what’s his name and when do we get to meet him?” As much as it hurt to see Danny like this Kate put on her best to smile.

“I … I don’t have one anymore.” Danny got that faraway look in his tear filled eyes. “He ran away from the home when I told him that I was coming to live here, he said that he couldn’t stay there without me. His name is Jamie, Jamie Jones, I called him JJ and I really, really like him. But now I’ll never see him again.” And the tears flowed again.

Well it has been a busy day and that's not all of it, we'll hear about the rest of it in the next chapter.
Thank you to all who are still with me and reading, especially those that have left positive reactions and comments. I'd love to hear what more of you think and I'm sure other readers would too, all comments are read and appreciated.
This story is written without an editor or beta reader as that is what I have chosen to do so any errors are all mine, if you spot any let me know and I'll correct as soon as I can.
Copyright © 2019 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 11
  • Sad 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Why do I get the feeling that JJ will be fostered too? Maybe by Kate & Steve, but maybe by someone else like John. Homelessness and fostering are related states. The biggest difference is usually the age of the person involved since governments don’t usually feel compelled to take care of adults the same way they feel obligated to care for children.
;–)

They need to introduce Danny to Kevin & Ian. Having older role models would be very useful for a Gay teen. The fact that they are accepted as a couple by the people at The Boot will be very reassuring.
;–)

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Why do I get the feeling that JJ will be fostered too? Maybe by Kate & Steve, but maybe by someone else like John. Homelessness and fostering are related states. The biggest difference is usually the age of the person involved since governments don’t usually feel compelled to take care of adults the same way they feel obligated to care for children.
;–)

They need to introduce Danny to Kevin & Ian. Having older role models would be very useful for a Gay teen. The fact that they are accepted as a couple by the people at The Boot will be very reassuring.
;–)

I can't say what happens to JJ at this stage, but who knows what will happen. You're right about there being a link between homelessness and fostering in teens, sometimes the homelessness comes first other times the fostering brings about the homelessness, as we both know every case is different.

You have picked up on another very point too, a lot of teens could benefit greatly from having good positive role models, but we must also remember that there are different levels of acceptance and it's not always good, sometimes the acceptance is is really tolerance borne out of need.

I'm glad that you're still reading and commenting, your comments are helpful and valued. I hope I'm making this a good read for you. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, Mancunian said:

You're right about there being a link between homelessness and fostering in teens, sometimes the homelessness comes first other times the fostering brings about the homelessness, as we both know every case is different.

Many people who have been institutionalized go through periods of homelessness. Many kids in care are not given the support and resources necessary to succeed in life. People who have been imprisoned may have served their time, but society doesn’t really forgive them for having been convicted and they often have a difficult time finding jobs.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Many people who have been institutionalized go through periods of homelessness. Many kids in care are not given the support and resources necessary to succeed in life. People who have been imprisoned may have served their time, but society doesn’t really forgive them for having been convicted and they often have a difficult time finding jobs.

You're right on everyone of those points, it's the same on this side of the ocean too. From research I know that another commonality is the ex-servicemen that have left the forces and cannot cope, often due to PTSD, find themselves on the streets. Many of them become reliant on drink and drugs as that is their only escape, they deserve better from us yet are often forgotten.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Mancunian said:

You're right on everyone of those points, it's the same on this side of the ocean too. From research I know that another commonality is the ex-servicemen that have left the forces and cannot cope, often due to PTSD, find themselves on the streets. Many of them become reliant on drink and drugs as that is their only escape, they deserve better from us yet are often forgotten.

Many of those without Honorable Discharges (ie ‘Less Than Honorable’ or ‘Dishonorable’) have very few resources. They don’t qualify for Vet benefits and services. They may also have PTSD, but no where to turn for help.

Edited by droughtquake
  • Like 2
Link to comment

I know this chapter with Danny coming out to everyone (who already knew) was very emotional, but it was also kind of cute, probably because Danny comes across as an endearing boy that would capture the hearts of any foster parents. Sadly, he's scared and frightened and severely lacking in confidence, but maybe Kate and Steve can help him get his life back.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
24 minutes ago, Talo Segura said:

I know this chapter with Danny coming out to everyone (who already knew) was very emotional, but it was also kind of cute, probably because Danny comes across as an endearing boy that would capture the hearts of any foster parents. Sadly, he's scared and frightened and severely lacking in confidence, but maybe Kate and Steve can help him get his life back.

Danny is a typical young teenager full of bravado on the outside but scared and quivering like a jelly on the inside, but now he has the chance of a future with Kate and Steve how it turns out will be up to him. He has been lucky and found foster parents who really care, let's hope it turns out well. 😉

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, Mancunian said:

let's hope it turns out well. 😉

Yeah, well, you’re not one of those authors who torments their characters.  ;–)

There are some who’d introduce a bullying neighbor or sadistic teacher. Others would find a distant relative to ‘reclaim’ Danny. There are so many possibilities that you’d never explore!
;–)

And that’s why we’re reading this story!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Yeah, well, you’re not one of those authors who torments their characters.  ;–)

There are some who’d introduce a bullying neighbor or sadistic teacher. Others would find a distant relative to ‘reclaim’ Danny. There are so many possibilities that you’d never explore!
;–)

And that’s why we’re reading this story!

Unfortunately as in life there will be some downturns and not so good times, but I can't tell you what's in store as I can't see into the future, lol. 😁

  • Haha 4
Link to comment

Nice story..I'm wondering why is the place called the Boot? I read the first book, but I didn't see anything about the name!!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
42 minutes ago, BabyXander1990 said:

Nice story..I'm wondering why is the place called the Boot? I read the first book, but I didn't see anything about the name!!

 

27 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Pulling yourself up by the bootstrap, maybe?
;–)

Hey this is a very good question which I hadn't considered, obviously I know the answer, so I'll incorporate the answer in a future chapter and make it part of the story. I hope that will be okay with you and the rest of my readers.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Mancunian said:

 

Hey this is a very good question which I hadn't considered, obviously I know the answer, so I'll incorporate the answer in a future chapter and make it part of the story. I hope that will be okay with you and the rest of my readers.

It will be and hopefully we can have a backstory on Jack/Chris! I mean, I guess his father or maybe him, made money! Unless it was from bank robbery!! 😀

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, BabyXander1990 said:

It will be and hopefully we can have a backstory on Jack/Chris! I mean, I guess his father or maybe him, made money! Unless it was from bank robbery!! 😀

I doubt boot designers, boot-makers, or boot-sellers are likely to accumulate enormous wealth…
;–)

Did his father design that nasty clamp they attach to vehicle tires as an alternative to towing it? Is he heir to the Boot family fortune (Boots UK)? Or does he have some sort of connection to Boot, Eskdale, Cubria in the Lake District of England?
;–)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Still hooked and enjoying each chapter.

Just wondering about the boyfriend named JJ ?? I have an idea but will keep it to myself.

Thanks again for a wonderful story.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
16 hours ago, KayDeeMac said:

Still hooked and enjoying each chapter.

Just wondering about the boyfriend named JJ ?? I have an idea but will keep it to myself.

Thanks again for a wonderful story.

You may guess right, or you may guess wrong, but all will be revealed in time. 😀

  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Poor Danny it can be hard when your 14 and gay it was for me. But he is lucky and has great foster parents who will love and care for him. Now where oh where can JJ be hmmm could it be the Boot?

  • Love 2
Link to comment

@Albert1434 you are right Danny is very lucky, he has great foster parents, now he has the support that all children should have. As for JJ, well it's possible he will pop out of the woodwork at some point in the future, we'll just have to wait and see.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Great chapter and I like Danny.  He has a lot of courage.  It is interesting that he and Jason are about the same age, and arrive on the scene at the same time. 🤔

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Danny is a very lovable character and like many lads of his age he still needs looking after, his vulnerability could easily be used against him by unscrupulous characters so now he is in the best place he could be. As for Jason,  well he is another vulnerable youngster who I hope gets his life back on track soon.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Manny and Danny, two new characters from very different backgrounds and living very different lives. What do they have in common apart from rhyming names, they are both endearing. 

Kate and Steve are model foster parents. No doubt their experiences at The Boot will have opened their eyes, eyes that were willing to open, ears that were willing to listen, and hands that were willing to do. The financial reward - $0.00. The emotional reward - a life of purpose.

Still enjoying this book @Mancunian, although I may have to retire for the evening soon. One of my cats has been unwell today, the likely cause the dramatic increase in temperature. I have relished the 35C plus temperature and the humidity of 90% plus, but my beloved Kiki (who is approaching 17 years of age) is finding her stomach greatly upset. She never complains and I refrain from ever chastising her for this as it is entirely NOT her fault.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Love 2
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, Summerabbacat said:

Manny and Danny, two new characters from very different backgrounds and living very different lives. What do they have in common apart from rhyming names, they are both endearing. 

Kate and Steve are model foster parents. No doubt their experiences at The Boot will have opened their eyes, eyes that were willing to open, ears that were willing to listen, and hands that were willing to do. The financial reward - $0.00. The emotional reward - a life of purpose.

Still enjoying this book @Mancunian, although I may have to retire for the evening soon. One of my cats has been unwell today, the likely cause the dramatic increase in temperature. I have relished the 35C plus temperature and the humidity of 90% plus, but my beloved Kiki (who is approaching 17 years of age) is finding her stomach greatly upset. She never complains and I refrain from ever chastising her for this as it is entirely NOT her fault.

Apart from rhyming names, the only thing they have in common is that they have important roles, although different, in the story. Kate and Steve are special people, as are most foster parents. The financial rewards for fostering are very minimal, but as you rightly say the emotional rewards are priceless.

Thank you for reading, but don't miss out on your sleep, and importantly look after Kiki, she needs special care in the later years of her life. :hug:

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Manny is a wonderful man and a generous mentor to Ian.  Danny makes me want to cry.  He has lost everything he loved and cared for.  Kate and Steve will make wonderful foster parents, so things are bound to improve for Danny.  

  • Love 1
Link to comment
35 minutes ago, raven1 said:

Manny is a wonderful man and a generous mentor to Ian.  Danny makes me want to cry.  He has lost everything he loved and cared for.  Kate and Steve will make wonderful foster parents, so things are bound to improve for Danny.  

Manny is an interesting man, I'd love to know more about his background.

Danny has lost a lot, but now he has found something to look forward to, even if he can't see that yet.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..