Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 3,224 Words
  • 1,225 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Boot - Three Years On - 28. Chapter 28

We all know what The Boot is like, there is always something going on. Even at this stage with closure growing closer there is something and the bad news is bad, can anyone do something to help?

Christmas day was a happy affair at The Boot, as usual it started early when some of the guests woke and started opening their gifts like excited children. Christmas wrapping paper was strewn everywhere, personalised tags were read and kept as treasured possessions just as much as the gifts that they had been attached to. Small items of clothing like socks, underwear and t-shirts may not be special to some, but when you have nothing and what you do have has been worn so many times it is threadbare it means a lot. Other gifts had also been included like pocket sized diaries, pens, travel size games like draughts and chess, wallets and purses, small wooden crosses on shoelace necklaces and a special gift that all could wear with pride and affection, each guest had been given a small silver boot.

When all of the guests had opened their gifts and showered they made their way to the dining room, all attracted by the smell of breakfast cooking. Most opted for the full english of sausage, bacon, egg, beans, tomato, mushrooms, black pudding and toast. Some chose scrambled egg on toast while others chose the vegetarian option of the full english. Tea, coffee, hot chocolate and orange juice flowed freely.

The day continued with some guests attending a non denominational Christmas service and a few giving thanks in rooms set aside for those of other faiths (being homeless can affect anyone, it is something that does not discriminate). The more able bodies guests helped with cleaning and rearranging furniture before joining the less able bodied watching t.v. All of this took place while staff and volunteers from the night shift handed over to those covering the day time. When the night shift left the day shift began preparing Christmas dinner with the help of a few of the guests.

The Christmas dinner menu was full and varied, a special day meant special effort and donations had been generous. Most had made choices up to a week before, for those that hadn't there was still enough to cater for them.

 

Choice of Starter

Vegetable or Cream of Mushroom Soup

Garden Salad

Melon Boat

 

Choice of Main

Roast Turkey

Roast Beef

Roast Gammon

Pigs in Blankets

Vegetarian option – Baked Stilton and Mushroom en crout

served with

Roast Vegetables

Roast Potatoes

Creamed Potatoes

Gravy

or

Lamb Tikka Masala (Halal)

Vegetable Masala

Pilau Rice

 

Choice of Dessert

Traditional Christmas Pudding

Mince Pie

Fruit Salad

Custard or Cream

 

Tea, coffee, fruit juice, water and soft drinks were freely available throughout.

At the end of the meal staff and volunteers were tired and shattered, those that had to leave were soon replaced with others. Again the able bodied guests gratefully helped in the clean-up before joining everyone else either watching t.v, playing board games, generally socialising or taking an afternoon nap. Many took the opportunity to use the laundry.

The evening meal was casual with a buffet laid out in the dining room. A variety of sandwiches, salads and finger foods were accompanied by a selection of sweet treats, cakes, mince pies and fruit filled several tables. Again tea, coffee, hot chocolate, water and soft drinks were available as they had been throughout the day.

There had been visits throughout the day by paramedics who offered their services to generally help out and give minor medical advice and attention to anyone who needed it. Off duty police officers also gave some of their time to help and give advice to those who wanted it. Two on-duty police officers came in with a few cold and hungry people that they discovered out on the street, they knew that The Boot would not turn them away.

Later that night, after another shift change of staff and volunteers, guests settled down in their beds and emergency beds were erected in the lounge to accommodate the late arrivals. Those that were going home to their well earned rest and those coming on shift were all too well aware that the following day the harsh realities of life on the streets would continue as 'normal' for the guests, and continue it did.

******

Christmas and new year had come and gone, life at The Boot returned to it's usual pattern as staff and volunteers tried to help those that they could. Not everyone wanted to be helped, they had become so accustomed to life on the streets that all they wanted was occasional respite from the weather and the chance to clean themselves and their clothes, and a nourishing hot meal.

Jeff was spending a lot time assuring both staff and volunteers that when The Boot closed their skills and time were needed by the shelters that would still be providing services that The Boot currently provided. Some of them would go on to the new project, that still hadn't been named, as their skills and assistance would be needed there too. Yes it would be different, but it would provide a vital service and be a stepping stone to help provide a real chance to many who are experiencing homelessness.

Steve was forging links with other shelters across the area. They needed to prepare for when The Boot closed as they will be the ones taking the strain. What they also needed to know was that the new project was open to considering referrals from them to give hope and help their guests too. This resulted in many of the shelters working closer together as communication and alliances grew between them.

Christian was working closely with the local planning department to ensure that they could continue work and the old shoe factory project. Unfortunately he had suffered one set back, the project manager did not like the changes being made and was totally against it being re-purposed for helping homeless people. He had a bigoted opinion that they belonged where they were and did not deserve any help. Christian terminated his contract which also resulted in the Project Manager cancelling all work on the site leaving the project 'in limbo'.

Ian was working hard at maintaining and building the jewellery business that he was a partner in, along with Kevin he now held seventy five percent of the business as Manny had been taking more of a back seat. Manny retained a twenty five percent share which he would keep permanently. Ian was more 'hands on' than Kevin and was training the two lads that helped him with the silver boots. Kevin was less involved with the day to day running of the business, he was mainly involved in the routine business and accounting side which left him with a lot of time on his hands. He spent some of his free time with Kate, she had her hands full with two boisterous teenagers at home.

“How do you do it Kate?” Kevin asked, “You know, two teenagers and a home to look after, you always seem to be busy but still have time for others. I'm surprised you're not permanently exhausted.”

Kate smiled when she replied, “It's not always easy but I take pleasure in helping and as for my boys well they have a knack of bringing a smile to my face even though they don't know it. Liam has his problems but he is working hard to overcome them, even when his physiotherapy is causing him some pain, he is determined to walk again. As for Danny, he is a wonderful son who is full of love, helping Liam with his schoolwork and personal care he is very protective of him and has easily accepted him as his younger brother. On that subject can you keep a secret?”

“Secrets are my strong point, so what is it?”

“We are going to adopt Liam too, Danny deserves a younger brother and we couldn't separate them now they would both be heartbroken. Besides, Steve and I have grown to love him like a son so we want to do it for them and us, we haven't said anything to anyone yet so please keep it quiet till we get the go ahead and make it public.”

Kevin couldn't help himself he wrapped Kate in his arms, “I'm so happy for you all, you and Steve really are something special I promise I'll keep it quiet.”

Steve came in to the kitchen from his home office holding an empty coffee mug. “Hmmm is there something I should know?” He was trying, but failing, to look stern.

Kevin froze in shock, he wasn't doing anything wrong. “N... n... no, nothing.”

“Steve don't do that to him you bully.”

“I'm not a bully and he did have his arms around you kissing you on the cheek!” Trying to be stern and upset Steve failed, smiling he continued. “Sorry Kevin I'm not the jealous husband, I'm guessing Kate has told you our secret?”

Relieved Kevin answered, “Yes and I promise to keep the secret.” Wrapping his arms around Steve he kissed him on the cheek then looked in his eyes. “Don't get any ideas, but I don't want you getting jealous of your wife.” That had everyone laughing.

“Nice one Kevin you turned that one right back on me, I love it.” Steve sat down at the table and looked up to Kevin. “Actually Kevin I've just come off the phone and want to ask a favour of you if that's okay?”

“Yeah sure, I don't know what I can do but I'll do what I can.”

“Well it's not for us, you know Max?” Kevin nodded. “His father has passed away and left him some money, he could do with advice about investing it and sorting out his accounts, thing is one he doesn't know how much he's inherited yet and he can't afford the big accountants bills. He asked if I knew anyone and I suggested you, I hope that's okay?”

“Yeah, I don't know about investment advice but I can definitely help with his accounts, when does he want to meet?” Kevin was nervous but happy to be able to help.

Steve passed Kevin a note with Max's number. “Call him and arrange to meet, I know he is waiting for your call.”

Kevin asked, “Should I call him now?” Steve nodded.

Kevin took out his mobile phone and made the call. The call was short and consisted of Kevin asking and answering a few questions before hanging up. “I'm sorry to leave so soon but Max has suggested that if I go over now he has everything with him, so we could start to go through it before the boys get home from school.”

With the short journey Kevin soon arrived at Max and Stacy's house and listened intently as Max explained the problems he was having. In less time than Max expected Kevin had his books in order making it look easy. Max was amazed but then he is a builder, not an accountant. Kevin also pointed out that Max could not afford to employ everyone on his books unless he could find more work. Max knew that Kevin was right but felt that he couldn't lay anyone off, they were good loyal workers who depended on him. Not for the first time Max wondered if there was anything else he could do, maybe advertising themselves as gay builders was a mistake! He decided that whatever happens he would invest his inheritance in his own business, he believed in himself and his employees and believed that he could make it work.

******

Later that Thursday night Ian and Kevin were putting the pies in the oven, they were a favourite at The Boot and home made by Kate. There was always a choice, steak pie was the most popular closely followed by cheese and onion and followed by chicken which was made with halal chicken. They were served with a choice of chips or mashed potato and vegetables, gravy was popular with the steak pie. The Major was also there getting plates and cutlery ready.

Jeff was in the office finishing off some paperwork when Andy and Christian came in. “What are you two doing here? You're both supposed to be off tonight.”

“I know but this one has something on his mind that he needs to talk to you about.” The tone in Andy's voice reflected the look on Christian's face, Christian was totally pissed off.

“Come in to the office and we can chat.” Jeff wanted to know what was on Christian's mind.

“I'll leave you to it and see get some coffee.” Andy left Christian talking with Jeff and went to the kitchen.

The Major had seen the two men as they came in and wanted to know what was troubling his young friends. Seeing where Andy was going he followed, “Andy whats the problem, you haven't been arguing have you?”

“No Major we haven't, but with what's happened it's still possible.”

“Can you tell me, or would that cause more trouble?” The Major knew that what had happened must be serious.

“It may be best if you go and talk with Christian and Jeff, you may have some ideas on how to lift Christian out of his funk, it would be great if you could. I'm guessing that Kevin and Ian are in the kitchen, I'll go talk to them.” Andy's words almost sounded like he was pleading with The Major.

Christian welcomed the sight of The Major, somehow his presence had a calming influence. As Christian explained the dilemma that now faced them with no Project Manager or work force for the building work, Andy was doing the same with Ian and Kevin. Everyone felt down after hearing the news.

Suddenly Kevin's face lit up as he came to life again. “Don't do anything till I get back, tell Christian to wait I might know a man who can help and keep an eye on the food don't let it burn.” Leaving Ian and Andy to finish off in the kitchen Kevin went outside to make a call.

From the quiet of his car Kevin made his call, “Max, I know it's late but I need to speak with you now it's very very important, we need your help.”

Kevin explained that Christian ended the contract of the bigoted project manager and why, and how it meant that the builders walked off site as they were his direct employees. He begged Max to put him in touch with someone, anyone who could take on the responsibility of project manager.

“Tell Christian not to leave, I'm coming to The Boot now to talk to him, I might have a solution.” Max let Stacy know that he was needed at The Boot, kissing him goodnight he made the twenty five minute journey with an idea forming and going round in his head.

Kevin knocked on the office door and nervously entered, “Erm... Christian you're not thinking of going anywhere yet are you?”

“Not yet, why?”

Kevin went on to tell them that Andy had shared the news about what happened on site and how he had shared the news with Max. Christian was grateful for his young friends concern and willingness to help. But not knowing much about Max, except that he was JJ's adoptive father, he didn't know what Max could do to help. As he was voicing his opinion Max arrived at The Boot.

“Christian don't be hard on the lad, he's only trying to help.” Max as large as life stood in the office doorway. “I think if we put our heads together we can come up with a solution.”

“Christian, let's listen to what Max has to say, after all we have nothing to lose.” Jeff sounded more positive than Christian and was prepared to listen. “If I remember right you are a builder aren't you?”

“Yes that's right and at the moment I'm paying men to be stay at home and be idle, we don't have much work for the foreseeable future. If I don't find any work soon my men will be out of work and I will be bankrupt. Being gay doesn't seem to attract enough work to keep us afloat.”

Now Max had Christian's interest. “Okay Max let's talk, I have a feeling that I'm going to owe you an apology at the end of our chat.”

Max sat and took a deep breath, “Well the idea I have running through my head is this. I have a small team who are all good at their job, some of us are gay the rest are straight but accepting of us, they have to be or they wouldn't be working for me, anyway that is by the bye we need the work. I know that my team is too small for your project and it is a big talking point in the trade, but I know others in the allied trades, electricians, plasterers and the like who also need the work, they too are non-judgemental and accepting. I have some project management experience but not on this scale, so I may need some support. I could lead a team to complete the work for you on any agreed terms that you had with the previous project manager, including penalties if there is an overrun on the project. I will also give you one further guarantee, if any of the contractors need additional workers we will try to recruit from the local homeless shelters if there are suitable candidates.”

Christian thought that this was a crazy idea, but crazy enough that it could work. Supporting local businesses and the possibility of helping people from the homeless community in to gainful employment, this was too good an opportunity to pass up as crazy as it sounded.

“I think what you're proposing is totally mad crazy but I like it, I like it a lot. I'm even going to throw in my own bit of craziness. I want to appoint The Major and Kevin to be your support team. The Major has a military background, that means he has careful and precise planning experience that could be useful. Kevin has his degree in business management and accounting which are qualities that will also be needed, if you can gel as a team I think you will be a formidable force that could just pull it off. Hell I'll even provide funding if you or any of your fellow contractors need it and there will be no overrun penalty.” Christian was excited.

Max stood, “I'll agree on one condition.”

Christian stood, “Name it.”

“The overrun penalty must remain, neither I or any contractor must be allowed to become complacent or we may overrun. Oh I have one further request, the building has always been known as 'The Old Shoe Factory', after completion I want it to retain its name and as much character as possible.”

There was an agreement, all of them shook hands and gave their word, this was their bond and an expression of the trust they had in one another. They were sad that The Boot would close in the autumn that year, but they were bolstered by hope knowing that The Boot left a legacy, one that would live on in The Old Shoe Factory.

Well that's it, except for the epilogue that will be posted in the next week or two The Boot is coming to an end but it's legacy will live on. We will hear something of that in the epilogue.

Well we are where we are and I look forward to hearing any thoughts from you.
All reactions are appreciated and any comments will be read and acknowledged, that's a promise.
Copyright © 2019 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The Old Shoe Factory is the new name, but I would have changed it slightly to The New Boot Factory.  :gikkle:  I have an idea that the assembled team will be even better than the bigot Project Manager that just quit.  

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Max and Stacy are so well matched, both have a strong sense of justice and equity. Max's statement "I will also give you one further guarantee, if any of the contractors need additional workers we will try to recruit from the local homeless shelters if there are suitable candidates" impressed me greatly. I immediately thought of Joe who made a teary appearance in one of the more recent chapters. Recruiting workers from the homeless shelters is something akin to workers working for a company in which they have shares, there is an incentive to go above and beyond. If any homeless workers are employed I envisage the financial compensation would not be the only reward, the sense of achievement and pride in helping to build something purpose-built for your "community" would have to be significant.

Given the name of the shelter, The Boot, I have been trying to incorporate the signature tune of the only Sinatra I like, the fabulous Miss Nancy, into a chapter comment. Given The Boot is closing, but in some respects is merely moving (many of the staff and guests are likely to be the same, the services offered may be somewhat different), I feel the title of Miss Nancy's These Boot(s) Are Made For Walkin' is somewhat appropriate (just don't listen to the lyrics for the song's intent). It has to Miss Nancy's version though. I have a version of the same song performed by Amanda Lear (perhaps unknown to Americans, but very popular in Europe and the UK) and have heard the version by Jessica Simpson which was popular in the early 2000's (I did not mind this version to be honest, she has a "big" voice).  Now for the new establishment, The Old Shoe Factory. I have been wracking my brain for songs with shoe in the title and have only been able to think of a limited number - Boogie Shoes by KC & The Sunshine Band, Boogie Woogie Dancing Shoes by Claudja Barry (gloriously camp Eurodisco stomper from late 1979) and The Red Shoes by the incomparable extraordinaire, Kate Bush.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
41 minutes ago, Summerabbacat said:

Max and Stacy are so well matched, both have a strong sense of justice and equity. Max's statement "I will also give you one further guarantee, if any of the contractors need additional workers we will try to recruit from the local homeless shelters if there are suitable candidates" impressed me greatly. I immediately thought of Joe who made a teary appearance in one of the more recent chapters. Recruiting workers from the homeless shelters is something akin to workers working for a company in which they have shares, there is an incentive to go above and beyond. If any homeless workers are employed I envisage the financial compensation would not be the only reward, the sense of achievement and pride in helping to build something purpose-built for your "community" would have to be significant.

Given the name of the shelter, The Boot, I have been trying to incorporate the signature tune of the only Sinatra I like, the fabulous Miss Nancy, into a chapter comment. Given The Boot is closing, but in some respects is merely moving (many of the staff and guests are likely to be the same, the services offered may be somewhat different), I feel the title of Miss Nancy's These Boot(s) Are Made For Walkin' is somewhat appropriate (just don't listen to the lyrics for the song's intent). It has to Miss Nancy's version though. I have a version of the same song performed by Amanda Lear (perhaps unknown to Americans, but very popular in Europe and the UK) and have heard the version by Jessica Simpson which was popular in the early 2000's (I did not mind this version to be honest, she has a "big" voice).  Now for the new establishment, The Old Shoe Factory. I have been wracking my brain for songs with shoe in the title and have only been able to think of a limited number - Boogie Shoes by KC & The Sunshine Band, Boogie Woogie Dancing Shoes by Claudja Barry (gloriously camp Eurodisco stomper from late 1979) and The Red Shoes by the incomparable extraordinaire, Kate Bush.

Max's comment was inspired by an actual housing project here in Manchester some years ago, I don't why it hasn't been repeated. A local Housing Association and a local shelter went into a temporary partnership to renovate a derelict street. All of the homeless people who took part in the project were given preferential treatment by the Housing Association and housed either in that street or in other suitable accommodation and was a success. Joe would be one of the people to benefit in these circumstances. As you rightly point out the benefits are more than financial for both the individuals involved and the community.

I'm sure you will come up with a couple of suitable song titles, I think you have taken this on as a challenge.

Thank you for your thoughtful comments.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..