Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 1,764 Words
  • 1,269 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Boot - Three Years On - 25. Chapter 25

Is this the end of the beginning or the start of new beginning, or two? I think we have to wait and see. Did Steve engineer things to get Andy and Christian talking? Wether he did or didn't I want to know what happens next, if you do too join me and read on.

When the two men pulled away from each other Christian felt awkward and stared at his feet, “I'm sorry Andy I shouldn't have done that, it's not that I don't want to or as if I don't have feelings. I do, it's just, I'm not ready.”

Andy hooked a finger under Christian's chin and lifted his head, seeing the tears that were being held back he knew what he had to say. “Christian it's okay. I'm not going to pretend to understand because I don't but I can wait, I love you.”

“Thank you.”

Seeing the first sign of a smile Andy decided to change the subject and faced the building, “So what do you think? I don't know how we could make this work, but as soon as I saw it I had this feeling that this could be a good fit for The Boot.”

Christian's usual calmness returned, “I think you may be right, first we need to speak to Jeff and the others. Then Monday I'll get Jonathon to make some enquiries.”

With a renewed sense of purpose they returned to The Boot. When Christian spoke to Jeff he told him about the building, the excitement showed and the improved atmosphere between Andy and Christian had not gone unnoticed either.

Jeff asked, “What happened?” As Christian explained of the diversions that took them out of their way Jef was shaking his head. “Not that, I mean between you and Andy.”

“Nothing.” Christian tried to hide his embarrassment.

“I don't believe you, now are you going to tell me or do I ask Andy?”

“You know me too well don't you?”

“Yes, now are going to tell me. It looks like something has improved and if I know what it is....” Christian cut him short.

“Okay... okay I'll tell you.” Christian went on to tell his former counsellor about his feelings and what happened and their brief conversation when they stumbled on the building.

“Andy is a good man and I know he has genuine feelings for you, just take it slow strengthen your friendship and if you feel it's right for you let things develop naturally.” Jeff was happy for Christian and could see the potential for a budding relationship. “Now back to business tell me more about what you have found.”

“Andy spotted it first, we couldn't see much in the dark but it looks like a small old cotton mill or warehouse with four floors to it and it's up for auction. I don't know anything more yet but I'm going to ask Jonathon to make enquiries first thing Monday morning. I can show you after breakfast if you like.”

“I'd like that, it sounds like it could be full of opportunities.”

After breakfast Andy and Christian showed Jeff and Steve the building, they liked it and agreed that it had possibilities. By taking a drive around the area they soon realised that it was close to some inner city housing estates and there were no other commercial or industrial buildings in the neighbourhood.

It had taken Jonathon most of the week to get all of the information that he needed before reporting back to Christian, it turned out that the building used to be shoe manufacturers. What he had discovered was promising, in the follow-up meeting Christian was initially disappointed but Jonathon put forward an idea of his own. Armed with numerous copies of the portfolio put together by Jonathon, Christian was eager to share the idea with the team at The Boot and another staff meeting was called.

As Jonathon had had done the legwork and put his idea into portfolio form he was invited to present it to the Board of the Boot, the staff and the volunteers. Although nervous he accepted that he was the best person to explain everything and answer any questions.

The 'For Sale By Auction' sign had been removed, it had originally appeared in the October auction but bids did not achieve the reserve placed on it. The current owner, a small time developer, was open to offers to avoid any further auction fees. A change of use application had been successful. There was current planning permission for eleven one bedroom apartments on each of the top two floors, making twenty-two in total and eighteen large studio apartments on the first floor. An area had also been allocated for management and maintenance offices on the same floor. The large lift shaft had plans to be converted to two small lifts serving all floors. The ground floor plans included retail and commercial units along with workshop or storage units at the rear. The land at the sides and rear had plans for landscaped gardens and an open car park.

Part of Jonathon's proposal was to reduce the apartments to ten on each floor and using the remaining space to create communal lounges. A further communal lounge could be created on the first floor by reducing it to sixteen studio apartments. This meant that supported living accommodation could be offered to those that were ready to transition from being homeless to living in the community. Income from the ground floor units could then be used help to support the operations being carried out on the upper floors. The ground floor units may appeal to 'fledgling' businesses and create further opportunities to The Boot and the wider community.

If they worked with night shelters across the city they could take referrals from them and The Boot. This would mean that guests of The Boot not ready for the transition could be accommodated by the other shelters.

The work had already been started by the current owner but had been suspended pending the sale of the building. Jonathon had already spoken to the local planning department and had been assured that his proposal would be accepted. Jonathon had also approached some local councillors and MP's, all had said that they would advocate and support the project.

One of the board members volunteered to head the fund raising.

After the meeting there was a lot of excitement, the project would be ambitious and more than anyone had expected. The objectives of The Boot would not be forgotten and remained the same but it would be on a different level. If it could be pulled off everyone was for it, it all appeared to rest on two things, could they raise the finance and have it ready in time?

******

Christmas eve arrived and The Major could sense the subdued excitement as he and Steve served breakfast to the guests of The Boot, he knew why. Christmas at The Boot had it's own special atmosphere. There was the anticipation of what Christmas would bring, everyone looked forward to Christmas dinner and the small gifts that they were given. But there was also the reminder that the only 'family' that everyone had was The Boot, most had been disowned by blood family for different reasons and Christmas was a reminder of that. Added to that was the knowledge that this would be the last Christmas at The Boot and not knowing what would happen when The Boot ceased to exist. Staff and volunteers had tried to reassure the guests with little success. The Major was tired and looking forward to his bed, he would be back the following day with 'his boys' to help serve Christmas Dinner, since leaving Ian and Kevin never missed Christmas Day at The Boot.

Christian had taken the night off, remembering the evening before he had a smile on his face when he woke. His life was moving in a positive direction and he could still feel the kisses on his lips after his date the night before. Not wanting to lose that feeling he showered and dressed before eating a light breakfast then made his way outside. Starting his car he was running through his head everything that he needed to do that day and before he knew it he was at his first stop of the day beeping his horn. He heard the footsteps before the car door opened, his nostrils were filled with an unmistakeable scent, his heart skipped a beat and his jeans tightened as he felt an arousing tingle in his groin.

Andy sat in the passenger seat and closed the door, “Morning Chri..mmmhh” No sooner had Andy started speaking Christian leaned across and firmly planted a kiss on his lips. When Christian sat back in his seat Andy said, “Wow, that's what I call a good morning welcome.”

“I've been wanting to do that since I woke up this morning, if you want more you will have to wait till later we have a lot of running about to do today.” Christian put the car into gear, released the handbrake, applied pressure to the accelerator and drove to the next stop Goldstein, Johnson and Cole Jewellers.

The little bell above the door rang as they entered, “Morning Manny, where's Kevin and Ian?”

“Good morning Christian, Kevin is out making a few deliveries and Ian is in the back making coffee.” Manny was in his usual good mood although the tiredness showed on him.

“I didn't think jewellers made deliveries?”

“These are special deliveries. Do you want me to get Ian to make you a coffee too? And who is this fine looking young man you have with you?” Manny had a knowing glint in his eyes.

“Sorry Manny but we are pushed for time, another day perhaps.” As Christian took Andy by the hand Ian was coming in with the coffee. “I'd like you to meet Andy Walker, my boyfriend.”

Coffee cups crashed to the floor, “I never saw that coming.” Ian was happy for them but surprised.

Ian and Manny came round the counter and wrapped them in congratulatory hugs.

Manny hugged both men and spoke to Andy, “You look after him, he is something special.

Ian hugged Andy then then put his arms around Christian just as the bell above the door rang. “Hey you, you big lug put my boyfriend down or I'll set Manny on you.” Kevin was trying to look annoyed but couldn't manage it.

Andy turned to look at Kevin laughing, “Really well tell your boyfriend to leave my boyfriend alone or do I have to get physical.”

Kevin launched himself first at Andy then Christian. “I knew it, I knew it, I just knew it. It's about time. Congrats Andy,” pulling Christian in closer he whispered in his ear, “Congrats bro, I couldn't be happier for you.”

WOW and this is just the start of the day, it looks like it's going to be a long one doesn't it? Well yeah I know it is and it will continue in the next chapter but I'm staying tight lipped 🤐 about what's coming up. If you want to let me know what you think so far, or share your thoughts about what may be coming up leave a comment and let me know. All reactions are appreciated and all comments will be read and acknowledged that's a promise.
Copyright © 2019 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 6
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I wish there was a way to keep the Boot going.  I love the new concept but the old Boot has been a comfort and refuge to so many.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
5 hours ago, belisima said:

I wish there was a way to keep the Boot going.  I love the new concept but the old Boot has been a comfort and refuge to so many.

I agree with you @belisima unfortunately I think that there will always be a need for places like The Boot. For now we have to accept that The Boot is nearing it's final days, so let's revel in the fresh new concept that brings with it new hope for the future of those trying to improve their life chances. 

There are possibilities for more and new stories if/when they are written.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Besides fulfilling a necessary community purpose for homeless people, I love seeing old abandoned buildings eg. warehouses, factories etc being repurposed and given a new lease of life rather than being knocked down and replaced with some ugly, soulless cookie-cutter building which is poorly built and a fucking eyesore. A building given a new lease of life to accommodate people given a new lease of life. Very fitting.

John/Christian and Andy would be well served by following the wise words of Harry Wayne Casey aka KC:

  • Shake, Shake, Shake (Shake Your Booty) and Keep It Comin' Love because That's The Way (I Like It)

Love me some KC & The Sunshine Band (actually love me lots of KC & The Sunshine Band).

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Love 2
Link to comment
24 minutes ago, Summerabbacat said:

Besides fulfilling a necessary community purpose for homeless people, I love seeing old abandoned buildings eg. warehouses, factories etc being repurposed and given a new lease of life rather than being knocked down and replaced with some ugly, soulless cookie-cutter building which is poorly built and a fucking eyesore. A building given a new lease of life to accommodate people given a new lease of life. Very fitting.

John/Christian and Andy would be well served by following the wise words of Harry Wayne Casey aka KC:

  • Shake, Shake, Shake (Shake Your Booty) and Keep It Comin' Love because That's The Way (I Like It)

Love me some KC & The Sunshine Band (actually love me lots of KC & The Sunshine Band).

The old warehouse has a lot of possibilities and can help do a lot of good. If The Boot has to close this could be a great opportunity for continuing its ethos.

I love the musical references to Andy and Christian's budding relationship, they are encouraging and very apt.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Music is my second great passion in life after my beloved cats @Mancunian, hence part of my profile name. Summer for the fabulous Donna (as well as my favourite season) and ABBA, well that needs no further explanation. I have en extensive CD and vinyl collection, with music from most genres apart from classical, heavy metal and rap, none of which I care for even to the slightest extent. 

 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Summerabbacat said:

Music is my second great passion in life after my beloved cats @Mancunian, hence part of my profile name. Summer for the fabulous Donna (as well as my favourite season) and ABBA, well that needs no further explanation. I have en extensive CD and vinyl collection, with music from most genres apart from classical, heavy metal and rap, none of which I care for even to the slightest extent. 

 

I love how you came up with your profile name, it makes a lot of sense and suits you. I like your taste in music, although I do occasionally like to listen to classical music, and like you I have zero interest in heavy metal or rap.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..