Jump to content
    Mark Arbour
  • Author
  • 5,044 Words
  • 4,243 Views
  • 31 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Northern Exposure - 70. Chapter 70

George is back!

June 22, 1801

The House of Lords

London, UK

 

 

“While you were gone, we moved,” The Duke of Suffolk said to his son playfully as he led him up to the White Chamber. Previously the Lords had sat in the Queen’s Chamber, which was considerably smaller.

“This is most definitely different, and much larger as well,” Granger said, as he and his father strode up to the Bar, the barrier beyond which visitors could not pass.

“When the Union with Ireland came about, and there were some 30 new peers to admit, the Queen’s Chamber was considered too small,” the Duke of Suffolk said.

“The Queen’s Chamber was too small even before these new peers arrived,” Granger noted, since it had been sometimes difficult to even find a seat. “Who was displaced to ease the overcrowding in the Lords?”

The Duke of Suffolk smiled at his charming younger son, opting to ignore the tension that existed between them. “This was once the dining hall, and then it was used for the Court of Requests. Now it is the House of Lords.”

“Hopefully the Court found a suitable new residence,” Granger said even as he studied his new legislative home. The White Chamber was very tall. It started out with lightly decorated panels that rose up probably some 40 feet or so, then gave way to the roof, which was quite lovely. There were arched windows on the sides, with the masonry emphasizing those openings as they fanned up to the ceiling, which was rounded but for a large flat panel at the center of the vault that extended the length of the hall. Granger appreciated that the room was very plain, with undecorated masonry making the overall chamber a virtual sea of gray. These solid structures directed the eye away from their starkness to the throne, which was on a dais and covered with abundant crimson and gold. Granger pondered how with some of the other thrones he’d seen, the surrounding room seemed to compete for attention with the décor of the chamber, but here the throne became the focus of the entire room. Beyond the Bar where Granger stood were benches for viscounts and earls, followed by the woolsack, which was an anachronism carried forward from the 14th century. The woolsack was a bale of wool covered with red cloth, meant to symbolize the importance of the wool trade in medieval times, which served as the seat for the Lord Chancellor. That was followed by the Table, and finally beyond that was the King’s throne. In the Queen’s Chamber it was so crowded that there was only space for peers to sit on the right side of the room. Here in the White Chamber, there were benches on either side. The side to Granger’s left would no doubt mostly consist of the Lords Spiritual: the bishops. To Granger’s right would sit the Lords Temporal, meaning the peers of the realm like him. In theory Dukes would be positioned close to the throne, while others would take their seats according to their ranks. In reality, the seating was not so formal, such that if an earl wanted to talk to a duke, he might sit next to the duke, and no one raised an issue about it. “I fear I must leave you to go track down Lord Nelson.”

“I will see you when you arrive back here,” the Duke of Suffolk said. Granger headed to the Lords’ dressing room, where Winkler was waiting for him.

“I see you managed to track me down,” Granger said to Winkler. Winkler’s ability to find his way around Russian, Spanish, and French palaces, not to mention the House of Lords, truly amazed Granger.

“I have learned to ask for guidance in a way that elicits a positive response, my lord,” Winkler said, making Granger chuckle.

“I suppose you’ll have to powder my hair,” Granger said to Winkler with a frown. He would not normally do that, but this was a special occasion, and as he was wearing his ermine robes it was important to fully look the part. “I am loath to wear a wig after doing so in Russia.” Granger had never liked wigs but having to use them constantly at Paul’s Court made him truly detest the things. They were hot and itchy, and they could become crooked with a more emphatic movement or gesture.

“I learned a new way to do it, my lord, if you will allow me to experiment,” Winkler said.

“I place myself in your capable hands,” Granger said with a smile. His smile faded as Winkler began to work the flour dredger, plying his blond hair with white hair powder. In Granger’s mind, this was only marginally better than a wig. Later he would be forced to spend a considerable amount of time in the bathing pool trying to get all the flour out, and Winkler would probably have to work on it more after he finished his bath. Granger would have dispensed with the entire practice, but in this case, he owed it to Nelson to respect the formality of the occasion. Granger’s mind began to drift so he was surprised when Winkler’s voice brought him back to reality. He stared in the mirror and smiled. “You did an amazing job, Winkler.”

“Thank you, my lord,” Winkler said. “Rather than ply your hair with powder so it has that rigid look and feel, I used a lighter dusting, so your hair’s normal shape is not overwhelmed.”

“That is indeed the case, and I like this look so much better,” Granger said. Instead of how his hair normally looked when it was powdered, like it was some hard shell that had been attached to his head, his hair flowed naturally, and it was only the color that had changed. “I suspect it will be easier to remove as well.”

“One can hope, my lord,” Winkler said ruefully.

Winkler brushed off Granger’s jacket to make sure no powder had flaked onto his garments. Granger was not currently employed, and since he was not a serving officer, he had opted not to wear his uniform. The outfit he sported was one that he had left here in London when he went to Russia and was not as crisp as he would have liked, but there was nothing to be done about it. He checked to make sure his orders and ribbons were put on correctly, then he and Winkler stood up. Winkler helped Granger put on the heavy ermine robes and made sure that his ornaments were still in place, then gestured to the mirror. “You look quite handsome, my lord,” he said proudly.

“I am glad you were here to help me, otherwise my garments and hair would be all askew,” Granger joked.

“Pardon me for saying so, my lord, but while Major Treadway’s uniform looked good on you, this shade of red is much better,” Winkler observed.

“I think you’re right,” Granger said. “Unfortunately, while these robes may improve my appearance, they have simultaneously drained my purse,” Granger joked. In fact, these ermine robes had been a gift from his parents, but there was no need to nitpick over such details. “I still think that blue looks better on me than red.”

“Do they have a provision to allow you to wear blue robes in the House of Lords instead, my lord?” Winkler asked.

“They do not, and as this is a stodgy and traditional body, I must assume I am damned to wear red,” Granger joked.

“Then I would suggest, my lord, that you make the best of it,” Winkler said, making both of them chuckle.

“I suspect you are right,” Granger said. He took his leave of Winkler and was fortunate to find Black Rod himself to lead him to Nelson’s antechamber. Black Rod was in effect the sergeant-at-arms for the House of Lords, an odd role for its current occupant, the frail and elderly Sir Francis Molyneaux. “It is good to see you again, Sir Francis,” Granger said in greeting.

“It is good to have you back, my lord, and out of the hands of the Swedes, Danes, and Russians,” Sir Francis Molyneaux replied.

“I am most glad to be delivered from them as well,” Granger said, although he still felt a pang of longing for the monarch he had left behind in Russia. Sir Francis led Granger to a room, rapped on the door with his ceremonial rod, then opened the door to allow Granger to enter. As soon as Granger passed through, Sir Francis closed the door behind him.

“Granger,” Nelson said, and came over to give him a warm embrace. “Thank you so much for supporting me.”

“I am honored to be included,” Granger said. It seemed odd not to address Nelson as ‘sir’ but their circumstances were different here. He was not Captain Granger talking to Admiral Nelson, he was Lord Granger talking to a fellow peer. “I am glad you agreed to honor me further by accepting my invitation to sup after this affair.”

“Thank you. Granger. I appreciate the invitation,” Nelson said. “They certainly don’t start early enough for us to have dinner.”

Granger laughed. The House of Lords used to meet around one o’clock, but over the past few years that time had been pushed back so they generally started at four. “The good news is that your introduction is first, and that allows you the freedom to leave as soon as they start talking about tedious lawsuits.”

“You would leave your seat and your duty before the Lords adjourns?” Nelson teased.

“I would,” Granger said, which prompted them to laugh. Their ribaldry was interrupted by another knock on the door, one that preceded the arrival of Lord Hood.

“I must thank you once again for doing me the honor of being one of my supporting peers,” Nelson said as he greeted Hood.

“Bah,” Hood replied. “It’s the only exciting thing I get to do these days.” He and Nelson chatted briefly, then Hood turned his attention to Granger. “I see the Swedes, the Danes, and the Russians found common cause enough to finally evict you from the Baltic.”

“After the Battle of Copenhagen, I feared they were running out of battleships for me to maul,” Granger replied with a smile. He took Hood’s hands in his and gazed into the eyes of one of England’s greatest admirals.

“Maybe they learned their lesson,” Hood grumbled. “That was nice work both of you did in that sea.”

“Thank you,” Nelson said, full of pride at his achievement.

“Thank you,” Granger said much more modestly, then changed the subject. “I am glad you are leading the procession, since I have not been in the Lords since we were moved to this new chamber. I fear I would have directed you gentlemen to sit with the marquesses by mistake.”

“They would certainly not be happy about that,” Hood said.

An usher arrived at that moment to lead them to the White Chamber. Granger smiled at how they looked much like a fleet, with Hood forging ahead in the vanguard, Nelson walking along solidly as the main fleet, and Granger following along much as if he were the rear guard. Granger’s mind was filled with memories of taking his own seat in the Lords just a few years back, only this time, because he was not the subject of the ceremony, he was less nervous and could observe the process more closely.

As to be expected in a rigid and traditional body such as this, the procedure was time-honored and strictly adhered to. They were led by Black Rod, followed by the Garter Principal King of Arms, an impressive title for Sir Isaac Heard, who was even older than Black Rod. The procession approached the woolsack, on which sat Lord Eldon. Granger tried not to grimace at this man who had been born and raised in Newcastle upon Tyne in Northumberland. His father had been a coal fitter who had worked diligently to earn the freedom of the city and membership in the guild. That same ambition had now propelled his son to the position of Lord Chancellor. Granger tried to quell his irritation that a tradesman was now a member, and de-facto speaker of the Lords. Lord Eldon sat there impassively, although when he saw Granger, he seemed to become a bit nervous, then resolved. His expressions immediately put Granger on his guard. He had come to this House as a gesture of friendship to Nelson, but he suddenly felt like he had walked into a trap.

Sir Isaac handed Nelson’s letters patent to Lord Eldon, along with the writ of summons issued by the King, commanding Nelson to appear in Parliament. These papers were passed to a reading clerk who dutifully read them aloud to the entire chamber. When those documents had finally been orated, Nelson moved forward and swore the Oath of Allegiance. Once that was completed, he signed the Test Roll, attesting that he had taken Holy Communion in the Church of England. Granger almost chuckled because when he had completed that ceremony, he’d felt somewhat sacrilegious because he had no strong faith in God. Nelson, on the other hand, was a devout Christian and seemed to revel in demonstrating that to the other peers. Finally, with these formalities complete, Sir Isaac led Hood, Nelson, and Granger to the bench where the other viscounts sat and motioned for them to take their seats. They sat, then stood and bowed to Lord Eldon a total of three times, and then the ceremony was concluded.

Nelson stood again to make his maiden speech, which Granger found to be so boring that he forgot what Nelson was even talking about. As soon as that was completed, the other lords congratulated him. While that was happening, Granger managed to position Daventry to his left with Nelson remaining to his right. “You certainly are turned out well,” Daventry observed.

“Fortunately, my robes cover my frayed jacket,” Granger grumbled.

“As I am not wearing mine, my fraying is visible, so be thankful you have that hot ermine to hide your flaws,” Daventry responded.

Once Nelson had been suitably welcomed into the chamber, the House got on to regular business. Lord Eldon stood and eyed the Table, then spoke. “My lords, I would like to amend the order of business to allow us to consider a personal bill,” Eldon said. Most of the peers were mildly annoyed at having the agenda delayed, but this was a body where courtesy and respect were paramount, so they grudgingly agreed.

Eldon gestured to a peer then returned to the woolsack. Granger’s eyes narrowed as he saw Lord Crawden approach the Table. The Baron of Crawden was a Haversham and one of Caroline’s cousins. He was the uncle of the same Lieutenant Haversham who had been removed from Granger’s ship in the Baltic. He was a short, rotund man but had a deep and resonant voice. The Havershams were a scheming bunch, which made Granger even more curious to see what Lord Crawden was up to. “My lords, I have before you today a petition to change the name of Alexander Granger to Alexander Haversham-Granger,” Crawden said. Granger’s mind began to reel even as he positioned himself to rise and speak when Crawden was done. Caroline had written to him and had told him that changing Alexander’s name was not a provision of the deal for him to become Lord Heathford. Why was Lord Crawden introducing a bill to do just that?

“When you speak, argue for a delay,” Daventry whispered. Granger nodded even as he watched Crawden hand the bill to a reader, who rambled through the legalese such a change required. He paused to glance at his father, who looked guilty, but Granger could not think about him; he had to focus on the business at hand.

As soon as the reader was finished, Granger was on his feet, taking the floor before anyone else could. “My lords, I am hearing that my son’s name is to be changed for the first time here in this chamber today,” Granger said. “As I am completely unaware of the circumstances of such a change, I would ask you to delay this petition, so I have a chance to fully understand it.”

Lord Rowling stood up to speak, which was no surprise, since he was closely linked to the Havershams. Unlike Crawden, Rowley was tall and skinny, and had a raspy voice. “My lords, I would think that this petition is self-explanatory, and all parties have been notified according to the rules of this House. I would ask that we complete this petition. There is no reason to delay its passage unnecessarily as we have many other items to hear today.”

Granger was back on his feet as soon as Rowling sat down. “My lords, I think this delay is most necessary. Please allow me to share with you that only one month ago I was in the Imperial Palace of the Peterhoff along with Lord Daventry, being treated to a farewell excursion by His Imperial Majesty Alexander I, Tsar of all the Russias. I then rendezvoused with Lord Nelson and, while he helped to hasten my return, I did not reach Great Yarmouth until a week ago. I have spent the bulk of the time since I arrived back in England in a carriage. In light of my extended mission abroad, along with my very recent return, I think it is unreasonable to assume I am aware that my own son’s name is being changed.” There were a resounding number of ‘hear hears’, approbation that grew louder and louder to the point that Granger felt quite flattered. It was unlike these esteemed men in power to be so demonstrative in opposing a measure. Crawden seemed horrified by that response; he must have realized that his petition was all but dead.

Granger was surprised when Earl Spencer rose. “My lords, it is an outrage for us to even consider this petition. If any one of us found out that one of our sons was to have his name changed without our being consulted, we would be apoplectic. Lord Granger has served His Majesty in the Baltic with a string of stunning successes. Would we reward his valor by insulting him at the first session upon his return?” Granger was truly heartened to have one of the United Kingdom’s most able statesmen speak in his defense.

“My lords,” Crawden persisted, “Cannot this body assume that the Duke of Suffolk spoke of this to his son upon his return?” The entire house was annoyed with Crawden because it was not proper to call out an individual by name, and when Crawden had mentioned the Duke of Suffolk, he had done just that. The muted mumbling and jeering was enough to remind Crawden of his faux pas.

Granger was furious at both his father and Crawden, but tried to calm himself as he rose to speak. “My lords, I am as perplexed as the gentleman presenting this motion as to why no one chose to apprise me of this petition, but they did not, and that is why I am asking you to delay this bill.”

Daventry stood up as soon as Granger sat down. “My lords, I concur most heartily with the esteemed earl who preceded me. There can be no valid reason to push this through and thereby insult the family of Alexander Granger. I would like to move that we delay this petition until our next session in the autumn.”

There was a loud murmur of agreement, then a voice vote was taken, and the petition was duly delayed. The vote was unanimous, with even Crawden and his friends backing down, and Granger was somewhat mollified that his father voted to delay the petition as well. While that had averted this crisis, it did nothing to assuage Granger’s anger.

“Eldon did you a favor,” Daventry whispered.

“Indeed?” Granger asked quietly.

“He clearly moved this matter up on the agenda so you would have a chance to object,” Daventry replied. Granger pondered Daventry’s words and realized he was correct. If Eldon had left it later on the agenda, Granger may have already left the chamber, and then the petition could be slipped through a depleted House. Granger chided himself for internally shunning Eldon for being the son of a coal-fitter.

They must have been in session for two hours before the house voted to take a recess. As soon as that was approved, Granger turned to Nelson. “I’m sorry that petition came up during your inaugural session in this house,” he said.

“Granger, you know how much I enjoy excitement,” Nelson said, making Granger smile.

“It is my intention to return home to prepare to host you for supper. We will make it a large one since our dinner was preempted,” he said.

“That is excellent news,” Nelson said. “If you have no objection, I would like to invite Spencer to join us.”

“I will handle that directly,” Granger said. “As my wife is out of town, I am wondering if your dear lady would be willing to serve as my hostess?” It was important to have a hostess when he hosted a dinner, and since Caroline had opted to stay in the country, he would have to borrow one.

“I am sure she will be delighted to do so,” Nelson said, smiling broadly because society had largely snubbed Lady Hamilton. Granger was confident enough with his own place in society that he could risk being scorned by the bon ton for receiving Lady Hamilton. Besides, Granger was disgusted with people who moralized at others, and it was not something he was willing to do to his admiral.

Granger made his way to exit the chamber, but found he was stopped constantly to talk to his fellow peers. He was sociable while also making sure to avoid his father. He was able to greet Lord Windham and the Duke of Portland, then he set his sights on Spencer, who had strolled into the antechamber. Granger managed to politely evade the other lords and focus on this man who had backed him up through many of the challenges he had encountered in the past, and true to form, today when Granger was embattled, Spencer had intervened on his behalf again. “Granger, I am so glad to see you back,” the Earl said, taking Granger’s hands in his.

“I am glad to be back,” Granger smiled back. “Thank you for supporting me here.”

“It was a dastardly business; I am not quite sure how that bill even managed to make it to the floor,” Spencer said, squeezing Granger’s hands warmly. “I was glad to help.”

“I am hosting a supper for Nelson and wondered if you and your lovely wife would join us?” Granger asked.

“We would be delighted,” Spencer replied. “I cannot thank you enough for the wonderful books you have sent me while on your latest voyage.”

“I have yet to unpack all of the items I carried back with me from Russia, but I have acquired a few more and, with your permission, will bring them to you when I locate them,” Granger said with a smile.

“I am most anxious to see them,” Spencer said, his eyes all but gleaming.

Their conversation was interrupted when St. Vincent appeared, giving Granger a dour look. He recoiled when he saw Granger’s expression. Granger was a stoic individual, and it took a lot to arouse his feelings enough that they would penetrate through those shields, especially in the House of Lords, but this time, they did. St. Vincent could not help but see the anger and outrage in Granger’s eyes. “My lords,” St. Vincent said by way of a greeting.

“St. Vincent,” Spencer said. Granger said nothing; he merely stood there, staring at the First Lord of the Admiralty in a most unfriendly way.

“Granger, I am wondering if you would be willing to spend some time bringing me up to speed on the state of the Russian navy,” St. Vincent said. Granger was even more furious that the old admiral had ignored the elephant in the room, such as it was.

“You sent me a letter all but accusing me of cowardice,” Granger said angrily. “You did this despite orders I had from the Prime Minister and most of the cabinet specifically directing me to give up command of Valiant and join Daventry. Of my achievements, a goodly number of them were done while under your orders. I would have expected you to have confidence in me and my judgment instead of insulting my honor. I find it difficult to be in the same room with you without demanding satisfaction, so I think it is in both of our best interests that you submit any questions in writing and I will respond using the same method.”

St. Vincent eyed him in a considering way. “Then I shall have to draft a letter to you. I bid you gentlemen a good day.” St. Vincent turned on his heel and limped off, leaving Spencer and Granger staring after him.

“I hope that you were not planning to request a new command in the near future,” Spencer said, but grinned as he did.

“I was speaking to Lord Berkeley when we were on our voyage back from the Channel Fleet. He told me that if the government didn’t find something for him to do, he would merely make an infernal nuisance of himself in the House of Lords. I think that would indeed be a most effective strategy,” Granger said. Spencer laughed at that.

“I suspect it will be,” Spencer said, then took his leave and headed back toward the House. Just as Granger was about to go track down Winkler in the dressing room, he felt a hand on his arm.

“I am wondering if you would have a quick moment?” Lord Eldon asked, gesturing to a room just off the White Chamber.

“It would be my pleasure,” Granger said, hitting Eldon with his best smile. He was pleased to see that it had a positive effect. As soon as they were behind closed doors, Granger continued his charm offensive. “I am aware that you moved that petition up, and I can only assume that you did that on my behalf. I am most grateful.”

“I am glad I could help,” Eldon said, but in the scheming way lawyers had. “The Havershams are most frustrated that your father-in-law’s entire estate and the Heathford viscountcy slipped through their grasp and went straight to your son.”

“I have found that they are usually frustrated about something,” Granger said dourly, getting a chuckle from Eldon.

“I think that their plan is to try to seize Heathford,” he said.

“I do not think the estate is entailed to the title,” Granger observed. If it had been entailed, then the Heathford lands would pass with the title, but since it wasn’t, they would most likely be handled according to Lord Heathford’s will.

“It is not,” Eldon said, “a fact they are most disappointed about.”

Granger chuckled. “I think that would have curbed their zeal a bit.”

“I think this petition and name change were an attempt to placate them,” Eldon said. “I believe it was indirectly proposed by your wife. However, I do not think it will matter much, as her relatives are more focused on money and the title than on a mere name change.”

“If that is the case, why did you set it up to be defeated in the Lords?” Granger asked.

“Because I thought it would have been unfair to you to have this matter delivered in the form of a coup behind your back, and because I think in the end it will not solve anything and will in fact be a useless gesture.”

Granger pondered that. “My wife is usually a more astute politician.”

“I hope you will pardon me for observing that the general consensus is she has been busy,” he said with a grimace, an expression that Granger shared.

“And you think that eroded her usually good instincts?” Granger asked.

“I am merely making a suggestion,” Eldon said. Granger realized he’d pushed the man into a corner.

“I am truly grateful for your candor,” Granger said. “It is especially refreshing to encounter that since I have just returned to England.”

“I am glad I was able to help,” Eldon said, and made to leave.

“I am wondering if I may impose upon you to answer two more questions,” Granger queried. Eldon nodded. “Do you know why my father appears to be supporting this? He did not mention this to me at all.”

Eldon gave him the scheming and shady look that lawyers seem to have naturally. “Perhaps he is shoring up friends in the event that there is an estate issue that affects him personally.” That could only be a reference to Lady Kendal’s estate.

“That is most interesting, and I must thank you for sharing your speculations with me,” Granger said. “May I approach you on this matter should I need further counsel?”

“I would be happy to do a favor for your lordship,” Eldon said, his expression now turning truly sleazy. But Granger understood the language here, and that he would someday have to do Eldon a favor in return. He certainly wasn’t happy about that, but if it was a price he had to pay, so be it.

“It is most appreciated,” Granger said. Granger and Eldon left the small room and Granger was finally able to escape to the dressing room where he found Winkler waiting for him faithfully.

“Let us get this robe off so I can go home,” Granger said.

Winkler looked at his master with concern because he sensed how upset he was, but made no comment. “Right away, my lord,” Winkler said. In no time Granger was stripped of his ermine robes and they were heading toward his carriage, and then back to Portland Place.

Copyright © 2017 Mark Arbour; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 38
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments




View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..