Jump to content
    Mark Arbour
  • Author
  • 4,429 Words
  • 3,669 Views
  • 24 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Northern Exposure - 72. Chapter 72

June 24, 1801

Portland Place

London, UK

 

After his meeting with the King, Granger had opted to detour back to his home. Based on Caroline’s reluctance to yield on the issue of Lord Heathford’s title, and his agreement to renounce it on behalf of Alexander, Granger knew that his actions were all but a declaration of war against his wife. He had not planned for such a battle so soon, but since it had been engaged, he needed to be prepared.

Cheevers was waiting for him upon his arrival, joined shortly by Winkler. “Welcome home, my lord,” Cheevers said. Winkler looked at Granger with curiosity since Granger was not expected to return so soon.

“Thank you, Cheevers,” he said affably. “I will first need to meet with you two in my library, then I will need to have a few letters couriered out.”

“As you wish, my lord,” Cheevers said. “A message from Her Ladyship arrived this morning. I took the liberty of putting it on your desk.”

“Then let us adjourn to my library to see what it says,” Granger said playfully. He led them into that room and spotted the letter on stationery that was the same as his own. “Winkler, pour the three of us a drink, then perhaps you gentlemen would oblige me by having a seat.”

“Of course, my lord,” Winkler said. While they were doing that, Granger opened Caroline’s communique.

Dear George,

I am so sorry I am not in London to welcome you home! I did not expect you to arrive so soon and opted to go to Heathford where I continue to try to put that estate in order. My mother agreed to go with me, although her company is sometimes tiresome. As I have just arrived, I am begging your indulgence to allow me to remain here until June 29. I plan to arrive back in London in time for Parliament’s prorogue.

There is a bill that may or may not come before the Lords while I am gone. I had assumed this would be postponed until the autumn session, but it is possible that it will be pushed forward by Lord Crawden before that. Despite my father’s clear instructions, Crawden and my other cousins are adamant that Alexander’s title belongs to them. In order to placate them, I agreed that Alexander should change his last name to Haverham-Granger. I think that an extra surname is worth a peerage. It is vital that you support this vote when it comes up.

I long to see you and will complete my business here as soon as possible.

Your loving wife,

Caroline.

Granger scowled at the letter while he fumed internally. He could not imagine a more patronizing note. The mirage of an excuse she’d given for being gone, as well as the trite and incomplete reasoning she’d given him over the Bill he’d voted against, showed that she had absolutely no appreciation of his ability to gather information and make sound decisions, nor to navigate the complicated politics of London. It was even more insulting that she referred to ‘completing her business,’ when she’d clearly gone on this trip as an excuse to fuck Stewart. He buried his frustration and looked up to pay attention to Cheevers and Winkler. Winkler, of course, read him perfectly, and got a very worried look on his face. “I have decided that a separation between Lady Granger and me is required.” They both stared at him, mouths agape, in total shock.

“My lord?” Cheevers asked, finally getting his wits together.

“Surely not,” Winkler chimed in. He was so frazzled that he omitted the ‘my lord’ after his words, something Winkler never did. Granger chose to ignore that faux pas.

“As Her Ladyship has gone off to Heathford with Colonel Stewart and has refused to return to London until next week, I think it is inevitable,” Granger said. “Her reputation is in tatters, and she has thrown Alexander into an unwarranted battle just to satisfy her late father’s demands.” That was especially galling to Granger since he had detested his father-in-law.

“There have been some rumors, begging your pardon, my lord,” Cheevers said nervously. “Colonel Stewart was a frequent caller before Your Lordship returned.”

“Indeed?” Granger asked.

Cheevers swallowed hard. “They were not discreet, my lord. It was obvious to the chambermaids that they had slept in the same room, and they often used the baths together, unescorted.”

“This must have scandalized the staff, Cheevers,” Granger said sympathetically, even though his rage at Caroline grew even greater. To violate the boundaries of polite society was something one could only do if it was kept secret, and even if that was not possible, it was incumbent on the parties involved to try to hide such an affair. By behaving so blatantly, Caroline had not only insulted the staff, she had damaged not only her reputation but theirs as they were linked to him and Caroline. Most servants took pride in being part of a household. It would be hard to take pride in their service when the lady of the house was a whore. Caroline had eliminated that benefit for them. “I am assuming this is common knowledge in London?”

“Among servants, it is well known, my lord,” Cheevers said. “I am sorry we could not contain the rumors.”

“Something this egregious is not easily hidden,” Granger said soothingly. “I understand that this has put you in a difficult situation, but in the future, I would ask you to remember that I am relying on you to convey to me such information and any idle gossip that may impact me or my family.”

“I am sorry, my lord,” Cheevers said, and began to start what would undoubtedly be a lengthy apology, so Granger cut him short.

“I recognize that as I have been out of the country and you were obligated to protect Her Ladyship to the best of your abilities, you were in a position that was precarious,” Granger said. “I am not admonishing you; I am merely telling you what I expect in the future.”

“I will do as you have instructed, my lord, and do my best to keep Your Lordship informed of any interesting gossip below the stairs,” Cheevers said with a smile.

“Excellent,” Granger said, and was preparing to move on when Winkler intervened.

“My lord, there are a number of your servants who are considering seeking alternative employment because of this,” Winkler said. Granger looked hard at Cheevers.

“That is correct, my lord, and before your return, I myself was contemplating such an action,” he said. “I mean no disloyalty to you, my lord, but the situation was becoming embarrassing.”

“After we are done, I will meet with the staff,” Granger announced. “In the meantime, I have a task for you.”

“My lord?” Cheevers asked.

“You are to pack up all of Her Ladyship’s possessions and have them delivered to Heathford House as soon as possible,” Granger said. He thought it was fitting for Caroline’s mother to provide a landing place for her daughter. In addition, depositing Caroline at Heathford House would embarrass Lady Heathford, and Granger had no great regard for her either. “If Her Ladyship should return here, you will not admit her.”

Cheevers and Winkler stared at him, even more shocked than before, then finally came to their senses. “I will attend to that at once, my lord,” Cheevers said. Granger nodded to dismiss him, leaving him alone with Winkler.

“May I speak candidly, my lord?” Winkler said.

“You may,” Granger said, although it was rare that Winkler did not speak candidly anyway.

“I was surprised at how angry the staff were when we came to London,” Winkler said. “There were also undercurrents at Brentwood, but not as bad as here.”

“I suspect that is because Her Ladyship is at Brentwood less frequently,” Granger speculated.

“The servants are most loyal to you, my lord, and it is their disgust with the way Her Ladyship has treated you that has fueled their anger,” Winkler said. They paused as Granger contemplated that, then Winkler looked at him squarely in the eyes, his expression firm and unyielding. “You had no choice.”

“Thank you, Winkler,” Granger said. “How should I approach the staff?” Granger took out a pen and scrawled some notes based on Winkler’s feedback. “Would you ask Cheevers to assemble the staff in the main drawing room?”

“At once, my lord,” Winkler said. Granger paced back and forth in his library, gathering his thoughts, then strode confidently through the grand foyer and into the drawing room, where he found his servants assembled. Granger knew that he employed a large group here, but did not really appreciate that until he saw them all assembled in one room.

“I am sorry to interrupt your day, but there are a few matters I need to discuss with you,” Granger began. They all looked at him in amazement, since the lord of the manor rarely ‘discussed’ things with his entire staff. If they were to be informed about anything, it would most likely work its way down the chain of command, primarily through Cheevers. Having Granger speak to them en masse was a truly unique event. “Upon my return to London, I have become aware of Lady Granger’s scandalous behavior. I have given orders for her possessions to be collected and moved to Heathford House, and as it stands, we are separated.”

There was a murmuring among the servants, so momentous was this announcement. Cheevers dutifully chimed in. “We are all very sorry for your loss, my lord.”

“Thank you,” Granger said, directing that to all of them. “I am aware that Her Ladyship’s actions have scarred our reputations, and also that that has had a detrimental impact on the pride you have taken in the past of working for this household. I thank you all for your loyalty in remaining with me. At this point in time, it is most encouraging.”

“My lord, we are all loyal to you,” the Chief Housekeeper said. Mrs. Spindle was a large woman with a loud voice and an accent that sounded like it had originated in Scotland. “It is our commitment to Her Ladyship that was shattered. I have always been proud to be in your employ and will continue to be proud and serve you as long as Your Lordship wishes.” Granger was taken aback by the resounding huzzahs from the rest of his staff.

“Mrs. Spindle, thank you for your kind words, and for the excellent job you do,” Granger said. “And I appreciate the shouts of approval from the rest of you.”

“My lord, what is to happen to those of us who were personally attached to Her Ladyship?” one of the maids asked from the back. Cheevers and Spindle were about to thrash the girl, but Granger held up his hand to calm them.

“Those of you who want to remain with Her Ladyship should accompany her things to Heathford House,” Granger said.

“That’s not happening,” grumbled one of the maids sotto voce, but not enough that everyone didn’t hear her. Granger diffused that situation by chuckling along with the others.

“Well if you do, you will be given your due pay as you leave. If you wish to remain, I daresay that with Lords Cavendish and Daventry staying with us, some extra help would be most welcome,” Granger said.

“Their lordships are not the neatest of people, begging your pardon my lord, so some extra help is indeed useful,” Mrs. Spindle said, making all of them laugh.

After the hilarity ended, Granger went to each person, thanked them personally, and handed each a guinea. That was even more stunning than having him talk to them personally, as most employers of servants here in London were seemingly notorious skinflints. “Hopefully this will help compensate you for the inconveniences you’ve endured.” They all thanked him profusely and swore they would remain loyal to him, then everyone returned to their duties, hopefully a bit happier.

Granger returned to his study and began to draft similar instructions for Hudson. He had just finished that letter and begun another to Broadhead when Winkler entered. “My lord, that did the job as well as when you loosed that broadside into the stern of the Boleslav,” he said, making them both chuckle.

“I am glad it was effective,” Granger said. “As soon as I have finished this letter, I want you to have both of them sent to Brentwood by courier. In the meantime, I will impose upon you to bring me a light snack.”

“I will attend to that directly, my lord,” Winkler said. Granger finished his correspondence to Broadhead, which coincided with the arrival of his snack. As he ate, he began to write a letter to Caroline. He finished the thing but opted not to send it until he had spoken to Daventry and Cavendish. He summoned Cheevers, who summoned his carriage, and in a very short period of time Granger found himself back in his carriage, this time heading to Carlton House.

All of the other Royal Residences paled in comparison to Carlton House. It was not as large as the other palaces, but the fixtures, both internally and externally, were impressive. The Prince of Wales had many flaws, but poor taste was not one of them. Carlton House managed to be simultaneously ostentatious and tasteful, which was a remarkable achievement. Granger pondered how many thousands of pounds the Prince of Wales had used to achieve that goal, and wondered if it was worth the trade-off. Granger entered the Prince’s chamber and was dutifully announced. The room was filled with the cream of the society, all of whom stood watching the Prince complete his toilet. Granger caught Daventry’s eye and could see that he was worried.

Granger bowed to the man who would most likely be his sovereign one day. “I see you have returned, Granger,” the Prince of Wales said and was obviously angry. Granger had expected him to be annoyed by Caroline’s friendship with his wife, but had not expected him to act so unkindly towards him. He had always treated Granger with respect and had been happy to receive him before. There was a murmuring in the crowd as those who were there remarked to their friends on the Prince’s changed attitude toward Granger. While Daventry and some of his friends may have been worried, Granger steeled himself to try and eliminate the Prince’s animosity.

“I have indeed, Your Royal Highness.” Granger said, “And I find myself in a similar situation to yours.”

“How is your situation in any way similar to mine?” the Prince demanded, and was actually enraged and maybe insulted as well.

“We are both married to women whom we would prefer not to be with, and we must tolerate their living amongst us, hoping they will not further embarrass us, Your Royal Highness,” Granger said. There was a subtle but collective gasp from the assembled gentlemen, as Granger threw Caroline to the wolves as it were.

“Indeed?” the Prince asked, much more pleasantly.

“Your Royal Highness, I returned to find that my wife has been scandalously conducting an affair with Lord Castlereagh’s brother,” Granger said, temporarily causing all eyes to focus on that handsome peer and making him blush with embarrassment. “I discovered that most of my servants were ready to turn in their notice rather than be so embarrassed. And most importantly, I find that my wife has been a boon companion of Her Royal Highness, the Princess of Wales, something that I had explicitly opposed.”

“I am sorry,” the Prince said sympathetically. “At least you can divorce your wife,” he grumbled. It was typical that the Prince would focus on himself.

“I am hoping to avoid that by just separating from her, sir,” Granger said. “I have already given my staff instructions to remove her possessions to Heathford House and instructions not to admit her to my home at Portland Place or at Brentwood.” That prompted an even bigger gasp of surprise, and an amused look from Daventry. By making that statement, Granger had publicly announced their separation. From this point on, Caroline’s actions should have a limited impact on him, although his children would have to bear that stigma.

“I’d rather just be divorced,” the Prince of Wales said, making everyone laugh. “I would like it if you would join me for dinner.”

“It will be an honor, sir,” Granger said. After that, Granger managed to fade into the crowd, going further and further to the back of the room where he could quietly converse with others. He was relieved that Daventry joined him.

“That was certainly unexpected,” Daventry noted.

“It really was my only choice,” Granger replied. “I spoke with the King and asked him to do what he could to keep her away from London, so we will see if that is successful.”

“You have stolen a march on her,” Daventry said with concern. “Let us hope that is enough.” Granger was more optimistic than Daventry, but he heeded his friend’s admonishment to stay on his guard.

“Let us hope,” Granger said. “In the past, when I have returned, I have usually been absorbed in meetings and generally focused on acclimating myself to being home. To immediately take such drastic actions will be a surprise to Caroline. I received a note from her today that indicates she has no idea that I have taken steps against her.”

“Was it cordial?” he asked.

“It was infuriatingly patronizing,” Granger said, forcing himself to keep his volume down. He handed it to Daventry and paused to let him read it.

“It most certainly is,” Daventry agreed. “I am surprised she is so unaware of what is happening here.”

“Perhaps that is because she is too busy being serviced by her stud,” Granger said bitterly.

“If rumors are to be believed, he is indeed quite well-endowed,” Daventry noted. That was interesting but did nothing to placate Granger. “Lord Crawden is coming to accost you.” Daventry whispered that even as Crawden strolled toward them.

“I have not had a chance to talk to you after the Lords yesterday,” Crawden said in his clipped way. He seemed to be unable to keep his deep voice at a discreet level, so Granger and Daventry ushered him out into the hallway. “I had no idea you were not aware of the proposed bill.”

“My wife has kept me in the dark about many things, and that was only one of them,” Granger said bitterly.

“I must apologize on behalf of my kinswoman, although I am not any better disposed towards her than you are,” Crawden grumbled. He would be enraged that the Heathford fortune had slipped completely through his fingers. “She is trying to throw meaningless trinkets at me to distract me from enforcing my rightful claims to Heathford.”

“Let us be candid,” Granger said coolly. “If your statement was correct, then there was no reason for you to care that my son changed his name. You were clearly stalling for time.”

“And why would I do that?” Crawden demanded.

“To allow you to prepare your lawsuit, and to garner support for it,” Granger said. “In any event, your effort will prove futile.”

“I am not sure why you think that,” Crawden said, full of outrage. “My attorneys and many of our colleagues acknowledge that the title is mine by right, and that a will cannot overturn it.”

“I agree with you, and that is the reason it is futile,” Granger said, smiling slightly. “I met with His Majesty this morning and formally pledged to abandon Alexander’s claim to be Viscount Heathford.”

“You did?” Crawden asked, stunned.

“I did,” Granger affirmed. “As you noted, it is the right thing to do.”

“It is not often that one gives up a peerage for his son,” Crawden said. “Thank you for saving me scads of pounds on a lawsuit.”

Granger chuckled. “You are welcome.”

“I will make sure that the bill to change Alexander’s name is withdrawn,” Crawden said, then left them.

“Well aren’t you full of surprises,” Daventry said. Granger took that opportunity to fill him in on his meeting with the King, and on how he’d managed to convince Cumberland to let the Catholics stay at Brentwood. “You have been very busy.”

“I have been,” Granger said with a smile.

“I had expressed some caution about your war with Caroline less than an hour ago,” Daventry said. “That was misplaced. You are taking the initiative just as if you were in a battle.”

“That is because I am in a battle,” Granger said.

They saw Castlereagh strolling towards them. “I must go and dutifully attend my lord and master,” Daventry said, then left Granger alone. Granger watched Castlereagh approach him and admired what a handsome and cultured man he was. His subdued Irish brogue made his speech smooth and melodic, and those seemed to match the graceful way he moved. Granger had always found the man attractive, but he found that just watching him was fueling his lustful instincts.

“Granger, I apologize for my brother’s actions. It is not just scandalous for you. Destroying another gentleman's marriage is a dishonorable thing to do,” Castlereagh said sincerely. Their eyes met and it was as if their minds connected, and as they did, Granger became more and more determined to bed his fellow nobleman.

“I appreciate what you are saying,” Granger said, then led Castlereagh further down the hall to an anteroom. Granger wondered if it was the same room where he’d first had sex with Caroline . He ushered Castlereagh in, then locked the door behind them. The Irishman swallowed in alarm, and looked nervous and aroused all at the same time. “In deference to you and your family, I am not pursuing action against your brother.” A divorce usually began with a civil suit against the man sleeping with his wife. That was humiliating for everyone, and quite expensive, especially for the man who lost.

“I do not know how to thank you for your forbearance,” Castlereagh said. Interacting with this man in this confined space was forcing Granger’s hormones into overdrive. What was it about this handsome Irish peer that so inflamed him?

“I know exactly how you may repay me,” Granger said, and began moving forward until his chest bumped against the Irishman’s. Castlereagh backed up until he was against the wall, while Granger continued to press against him, forcing their bodies into contact.

“What are you doing?” Castlereagh demanded, full of outrage. “Move away from me!” Granger may have honored his wishes if Castlereagh had pushed him, and if his erection wasn’t jamming against Granger’s own.

“Your mouth is saying words that your body refutes,” Granger said in a sexy way, then moved in and kissed Castlereagh. He only resisted a bit, then he responded enthusiastically. Their hard cocks ground against each other, while Granger embraced him with his arms. When Granger allowed one of his hands to go lower, Castlereagh moaned, and when Granger squeezed his soft ass cheeks, he let out a cry, one that was silenced by their liplock. That must have triggered something, because he hastily pushed Granger away.

“I am not a sodomite,” Castlereagh asserted strongly. “I will not have sex with another man.”

Granger smoothly moved back in, wrapped his arms around the Irishman, who struggled only for a bit, then gave him an affectionate kiss. “You have before, and you want to now,” Granger said, as he gazed into his eyes.

“Yes,” he admitted resignedly.

“I have wanted to be with you since I first saw you,” Granger cooed into his ear. “This will be our secret. No one will ever know.” That seemed to knock down all of his objections, and after that, it was as if Castlereagh was desperate to couple with him. Granger used his mouth to fully inflame the Irishman, but since he had no lanolin, it took him a lot of spit to lubricate them enough so Granger could penetrate him. Castlereagh adapted easily enough to Granger’s size, which all but confirmed that he’d done this before, and after that he was as animated as Granger was, thrusting his ass greedily back at Granger, demanding that Granger fuck him as enthusiastically as he fucked Granger. Granger felt himself nearing his orgasm, so he reached around and began to stroke Castlereagh’s engorged member. He smiled when he realized it was much like his own. Granger came first, blasting his seed deep into his fellow nobleman, then used small movements in and out of his ass, along with a firm grip on his shaft, to bring Castlereagh to his own climax. When he did, Castlereagh grabbed a handkerchief and stuffed it into his mouth to stifle his screams of ecstasy. After they were finished, Granger found a rag of sorts and used that to wipe off the cum on his hand. Castlereagh seemed as if he were about to panic, so Granger pivoted him around and lovingly sucked the last bit of his sweet nectar out of his dick. He rose up and kissed the Irishman, surprised that he responded.

“I did not think I would enjoy my day as much as I have,” he said, grinning at Granger.

“I knew I would enjoy that,” Granger said, and brushed Castlereagh’s cheek with his hand. “I have fantasized about it for a long time.”

The Irishman swallowed. “So have I.”

“Then you must do me the honor of calling on me on Monday,” Granger said. “I can show you my baths and that I can take your dick as well as you took mine.”

“I will see you on Monday,” he replied. They both got their appearance in order then surreptitiously exited the room. As they neared the room where the Prince was still getting ready, they encountered other men who looked at them curiously. “I would be interested to get your opinions on Russia, especially as regards their military strength.” He said that in an eminently skillful way, one that made it seem like that was what their conversation had been about.

“I will block out some time on Monday to do just that,” Granger said. They were so smooth and professional, the men watching them had no idea the two of them had just engaged in an incredibly erotic tryst not more than one hundred feet from where they currently stood.

 

Copyright © 2017 Mark Arbour; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Love 37
  • Haha 9
  • Wow 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter. The sex reminds me of the reason I followed Granger from his midshipman days to this point. Although, the sex seems such a small part of what has me eagerly reading new chapters.

Mark seldom allows present-day idioms to surface in his dialogue, "That's not happening" had me laugh out loud. 

"Heaven has no rage, like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned. "It ain't over till the fat lady sings"... Even Yogi Bera knew that women will have the last word even if it is "... sound and fury signifying nothing".

The will, the woman, and Castlereigh in the bathes.... a triple header cliffhanger.... Yogi would be proud.

Right on, er a, Write on!

Jim

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

George has approached this like a naval action and has raked Caroline bow and stern, delivered effective vroadsides, and I don't see whe has much recourse. She will be furious, but she's done this to herself.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..