Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Concrete - 5. Drive

 

It was midnight, and they’d been driving for two hours already.

Gordon sat in the front next to Jamie, slumped against the window in his slumber. Adam was in the back, wide awake, and Jamie had been waiting to talk to him.

Earlier, Gordon and Adam had gone out for hours. And apparently, they’d had a decent time, too, because Adam had come back beaming…

Jamie was a little jealous of Adam’s and Gordon’s sudden camaraderie. But he hadn’t had much time to process it. For when they’d gone to leave, they’d found that the hotel was charging for another night.

Gordon had bitched and complained at the desk, but he’d forked over the money so they could leave. He’d been in a bad mood since, and there was a collective sigh of relief when he finally began to start snoring.

“So, what all did you do today?” Jamie adjusted the rearview mirror so he could see Adam. “I see you got a new phone?”

Adam held it up with pride. “It’s even better than my old one.”

“Oh yeah?”

“Yeah. My parents made me use a basic flip phone, so I couldn’t text anybody.”

“That’s fucked.”

“Its okay,” Adam said lightly. “I figured out I could use Skype on my laptop. My parents were always trying to limit me, but the laptop was for school, so…”

Jamie snorted with amusement. “Sneaky.”

“So, I’ll tell you about my day with Gordon, but we’re still playing that game,” Adam said. “You’ll have to answer one of my questions if I tell you.”

Jamie cracked the window and lit up a cigarette. “Sure. Go ahead.”

Adam smiled hugely. Jamie could see it in the rear view mirror. Adam had the cutest dimples, and Jamie had already etched his face into his memories... Smiling, frowning, it didn’t matter. Adam had an attractive face and Jamie liked looking at the boy.

“We went to the Apple Store and got the phone first,” Adam said, examining the device with fondness. “Then we went to AT&T to get it added to Gordon’s plan. It’s so cool to have a real phone. I absolutely love it.”

“You know, it’s probably not a good idea for you to text anybody yet if you’re trying to hide from your parents,” Jamie said. “They can trace your phone through cell towers.”

“I know.” Adam’s bottom lip protruded, and Jamie thought he looked especially cute when he pouted like that. “Gordon explained it to me.”

“I’m sure it’ll be rough not talking to your friends, but you’re going to have to do it if you want to stay with Gordon,” Jamie said, trying to sound cool. “You’re in hiding now.”

“Yeah…” Adam sighed deeply, then his expression brightened. “Can I text you? What’s your number?”

“That counts as one of your questions,” Jamie laughed, but then read off his number from memory. Adam put it into his new phone, then hugged it dearly.

“Thanks, Jamie.”

“No problem.”

“So, I guess I should finish your question about what did we do today?” Adam said. “Because we didn’t just buy a new phone.”

“Okay?”

“Gordon and I went to a movie and it was funny!” Adam said, beaming. “Then he took me to a fancy little restaurant right next to the theater. They had all these pies on display in their window and I got one! It was delicious.”

“What? And you didn’t bring me any?” Jamie joked, but his stomach grumbled just the same. He hadn’t eaten anything since breakfast, and he was starving.

“Actually, I asked if we could,” Adam pouted. “But Gordon said you hated pies.”

Jamie rolled his eyes. “I do not hate pies.”

“That’s what I thought. I mean, who can resist a slice of triple berry with a scoop of ice cream?” Adam said, laughing. “But Gordon talked me out of it.”

“Sounds like he talked you out of your reservations about the money, too,” Jamie said, blowing smoke out the window. “You guys spent a lot today.”

“He told me something interesting,” Adam said, then he sat forward and leaned over the armrest. “He says he’s selling a new product and that he could be making a ton more money if he could get mobile.”

“New product?” Jamie snorted, then he looked Adam straight in the eye. “You do know he sells drugs, right?”

“I…” Adam chewed his lip. “Yes. I know.”

“And your okay with that?” Jamie asked. “After you made fun of me for breaking the law.”

“Well, I’m not okay with it, per say,” Adam said. “But we’ve already agreed I never have to touch anything drug related, so whatever Gordon does, it doesn’t affect me.”

“It so doesn’t work like that,” Jamie sneered. “You’re guilty just by association.”

Adam rapidly shook his head. “Not if I have plausible deniability.”

Jamie barked a laugh. “All right, kid. Believe whatever it is that helps you sleep at night.”

“Fine. I will.” Adam crossed his arms. “I was just trying to tell you, I think Gordon’s going to offer you a job soon.”

“No.” Jamie flicked the cigarette out the window. “I’m not delivering drugs again. It already got me in a lot of trouble.”

“But it won’t be the same this time,” Adam said. “You’ll be working with Gordon and he’s smart.”

Jamie laughed out loud. “Did he say that?”

“No. I did.” Adam pouted again. “He is smart, though. He says he’s been dealing for years and he’s never been caught.”

“That’s because he’s small time, not because he’s smart,” Jamie sneered. “As soon as I get involved with a car, that’s when the cops will get interested.”

“I don’t think he’s as small time as you think he is,” Adam said, his eyes shining in the light from the console. “He’s got a lot of money. He showed me his bank account today.”

Jamie frowned. “How much did he have?”

“Like forty thousand dollars.”

Jamie ground his teeth. That wasn’t weed money… he wondered what kind of new product Gordon was selling…

“I normally wouldn’t advise this, but since I seem to be moving into a drug den,” Adam laughed. “Maybe it’d be alright to deliver for Gordon for awhile.”

“I’ll think about it,” Jamie grumbled, but at the moment, every thing inside of him was screaming no!

“I can’t believe I just advised you to do something illegal.” Adam sat back in his seat and fisted his fingers in his hair. “I’m super sorry I just did that.”

Jamie snorted. “It’s fine. I’ll live.”

“It’s just… Gordon has this soothing way of talking,” Adam said into his hands. “He totally convinced me selling drugs was a good idea and that nobody would ever catch him.”

“That’s what every drug dealer thinks,” Jamie said, bitter. “It’s what I thought when I let my best friend load up my car with illegal substances. I’ll never get caught.

Adam dropped his hands. “Why did you get caught?” he asked. “And that’s one of my questions. I’ll answer however many I need to hear this.”

“Eager much?” Jamie laughed, then he groaned a bit as he thought about the night he’d been arrested. “It was really stupid. My break lights were out and I already knew it.”

“Break lights? That’s why you were pulled over?”

“Yep. And if I’d gotten them fixed, I wouldn’t have had to spend six months in jail. That shit stuck with me for the first four months I was in there. Fuck… I was so bitter.”

“Is there anything wrong with this car?” Adam asked.

“No. But it’s my mom’s ride. I can’t deliver drugs in her car.”

“Why not?”

“Well, we’d have to lie about what we’re doing for one.”

“Just tell her you’re delivering pizzas,” Adam joked.

“Then she’d expect some of the money,” Jamie grumbled. “And if she finds out what we’re really doing, she’ll turn us in herself. She doesn’t play around like that.”

“Okay. That sounds pretty risky.”

Jamie rolled his eyes. “Right.”

The two boys fell quiet as they slipped into their own thoughts. Jamie didn’t like the direction his were taking, so he lit up another cigarette and threw out the first thing that came to his mind.

“You owe me two answers,” he said. “And that’s being generous. You asked a lot of questions.”

Adam grinned so his dimples showed. “I’m ready. Ask away.”

“So, you said you write poetry. Are you willing to share some of it?”

Adam’s smile fell away. “I’m really private about my writing. I wish you hadn’t asked that.”

“Hey, you don’t have to share if you’re not comfortable,” Jamie said. “I was just wondering what you write about.”

Adam worried his lip. “I mostly write about cute boys I see,” he said. “It’s the closest I’ve ever come to sex…”

“You’re a virgin?”

“Is that your second question?” Adam asked, smirking. “Because that’s awfully personal.”

“I guess it is.” Jamie shrugged. “But I think I already know the answer. I was just confirming.”

“Yes, I’m a virgin,” Adam scowled. “And I’m really hoping to lose my V-card before I turn eight—er…nineteen. I already lost to Katie. She had sex over summer break. The little slut.”

“Hmm.”

“When did you lose your virginity?” Adam asked, rubbing his hands together. “Now I’ve got to know.”

“Shit, I must have been thirteen,” Jamie said, stroking his chin while he thought. “I always did it with older women. I think the girl I had sex with that time was eighteen or nineteen, too, but it wasn’t her first time.”

“Do you always have sex with girls?” Adam asked, and Jamie couldn’t help noticing the longing in his voice.

“Yes. I’ve always had sex with girls.”

“Every single time?”

Jamie snorted. “Yes.”

“Well, have you ever had a crush on one of your guy friends?” Adam asked. “Or are you too afraid to tell me?”

“It’s not even your turn,” Jamie laughed. “Jesus, you’re exactly like my five-year-old. She never stops asking questions.”

“Just answer the question.”

“No,” Jamie lied. “I’ve never had a crush on a guy friend.”

“Awww. That’s too bad,” Adam pouted again.

Jamie laughed. “Why are you hoping I’m secretly gay?”

“Well, it’d be awfully convenient,” Adam said, shrugging. “Now that I’m out of my parents’ house, I’m looking for a relationship.”

“Isn’t it supposed to be with Gordon, though?”

Slowly, Adam shook his head. “I didn’t come here to fall in love with Gordon. I came to get out of my parents’ house. That was the crucial first step.”

“Yeah, but…” Jamie ashed his cigarette. “Gordon isn’t going to rest until you’re his.”

“Did he say that or are you just making assumptions?” Adam asked. “Because Gordon told me he’d support me in anything I wanted to do. Even if it wasn’t him.”

Jamie shrugged uncomfortably. “I guess I was just making an assumption.”

“Gordon’s a nice guy, Jamie,” Adam said, smiling at the older man, still snoring in the front seat. “That’s why I’m moving in with him. Because he’s nice.”

“I seriously hope your right,” Jamie grunted. “I just hope everything works out for you. You’re not the first guy he’s had in his trailer, just so you know.”

“He was probably dating those guys,” Adam said, lifting his chin. “We’re different. We’re not in a romantic relationship. I’m not going to be like the other guys.”

“Okay, then,” Jamie snorted. “I guess I’m just wrong and that you know everything.”

“I don’t know everything, but I do know this,” Adam said, frowning. “I know Gordon is going to take care of me because he promised me he would.”

Jamie sneered. “You trust too easily.”

“Maybe I do, but I haven’t regretted it yet,” Adam said, nodding his head with assurance. “I trusted you today. And you’re not so bad.”

“I’m the least of your worries,” Jamie said. “But Gordon…I don’t actually know Gordon as well as I thought I did. For example, I never knew he was into high schoolers…”

“I’m more than just a high schooler.” Adam pouted like the little kid Jamie was accusing him of being. “Gordon likes me despite that.”

“Maybe.” Jamie shrugged. “I mean, I always thought Gordon was into big muscles and even bigger cock.”

Adam covered his mouth to hide his laughter. “I don’t have either of those things.”

“I figured.”

“See, we’re basically just friends,” Adam said, beaming again. “Gordon is just trying to help me. You can relax.”

“I won’t relax until I’m taking you home again,” Jamie said, flicking his cigarette butt out the window. “I can’t believe we’re actually doing this…”

“I can’t either,” Adam whispered. “It all just happened so fast…One minute we were laughing and talking in the restaurant, then the next thing I know, I’m getting in the car and leaving for good.”

Jamie snuck a peek at Gordon and glared at him. “I think that whole shopping spree today was to confuse you.”

“No. I knew this was going to happen,” Adam said. “He was just being nice.”

“Good old Gordon,” Jamie sneered. “He’s always doing the nicest things.”

“He is,” Adam said, smiling. “And you shouldn’t make fun of him. He might hear you.”

“Oh, I hope he heard this whole conversation,” Jamie said.

“Funny,” Adam said, then he stretched out on the back seat and pillowed his head on his bag. “Now I don’t want to talk anymore.”

“Seriously?” Jamie snorted. “You were doing such a good job keeping me awake.”

“You were supposed to get a nap while we were out,” Adam said, fluffing his impromptu pillow. “You’d better not fall asleep. We’re counting on you…”

“Naw, I wouldn’t,” Jamie said. “I’ve got stuff to do back home. I’m not dying in a fiery car wreck.”

“Good,” Adam said. “Wake me when we get into Ohio.”

Jamie fell quiet as Adam snuggled into his pillow. Almost at once, the sound of Gordon’s snoring was getting to him, so Jamie turned the radio on low so he had something different to listen to. Humming along to the music, Jamie’s absent mind drifted back to his conversation with Adam.

Apparently, Gordon was dealing serious drugs and he was making bank. Jamie knew he shouldn’t, but he had a feeling he’d get involved now that Adam was around.

He had lied earlier about having crushes on his guy friends. He’d had a serious crush on T, his best friend from high school and a rising star in the drug world. He’d let T talk him into transporting even though he’d known it was a bad idea.

Jamie didn’t have a crush on Gordon, but his heart strings were already pulling him in Adam’s direction, and he’d probably let the older man talk him into a similar deal.

Jamie checked his rearview mirror. Adam was fast asleep. He looked so innocent and sweet curled up and unconscious… Jamie averted his eyes with a deep sigh. He knew Adam was underage. Or at least, he was pretty sure he was. He had to find a way to protect the poor kid without letting himself get too attached.

Jamie drove in the dark for several more hours. His stomach grumbled repeatedly, but he ignored it. Hunger was just something he was used to.

When he finally entered Ohio, Jamie checked on Adam again.

He looked so damned comfortable, Jamie couldn’t bare to wake him up. So he didn’t.

It was just after seven in the morning when they rolled into the Village. The park was quiet, almost peaceful, and Jamie was silent until he’d parked the car behind April’s trailer.

“Hey.” Jamie nudged Gordon first. “We’re back.”

Gordon sat up with a groan. “Jesus, I slept all damned night.”

“I know. It was boring,” Jamie said. “Adam went to sleep right after you.”

Gordon turned and looked into the backseat. His eyes slid over the resting boy with fondness. “I can’t believe he’s actually here.”

“Me either,” Jamie muttered.

“Here, I’ve got the last of your money,” Gordon said, then he rummaged around for his wallet and handed over another four hundred in large bills.

Jamie pocketed the money. “Thanks.”

“No. Thank you for the ride.”

Jamie looked out the window at his mother’s trailer. “Are you ready to take him home? As soon as I go inside, my daughter’s going to be all over me.”

“Yeah,” Gordon smiled. “I’m ready. I was planning on making him some breakfast, but I think I’ll order in instead.” He reached into the back and smoothed a hand through Adam’s dark hair. “Wake up, little bird. We’re home.”

Jamie was discomforted by the action, but he kept quiet as Adam’s eyes fluttered open, and he stretched like a cat.

“Is this your trailer?” he asked, looking shyly past Jamie and at the house.

“No, we’re at Jamie’s place,” Gordon said. “We’ve got a short walk to get to my house.”

Adam nodded. “Let’s go then.”

“Let’s! I can’t wait to show you your room!” Excited, Gordon bounced out of the car and hurried to the end of the drive.

“Wait,” Jamie said, and Adam paused with his hand on the door.

“Yes?”

“Send me a text when you get situated,” Jamie whispered, meeting Adam’s eyes with a tangible seriousness. “I want to know how you’re doing and what you think of the place.”

Adam nodded. “Okay. I will.”

“Come on, Adam!” Gordon yelled, and Jamie cringed.

“I’ll see you soon, all right?” he said quickly. “If not today, then tomorrow.”

“Bring your daughter,” Adam said, smiling.” I want to meet her.” Then he slid out of the car and went to join Gordon at the end of the gravel drive.

Jamie watched the two of them start down the street, then he pulled the keys from the ignition and got out.

He was right, as soon as he stepped into the trailer, Harper leapt up from the breakfast table and threw herself into his arms.

“Daddy! I missed you!”

“Missed you too, kiddo,” Jamie said, ruffling the girl’s bedhead. “What’s for breakfast?”

“Cereal,” Harper grumbled. “Grandma said she wasn’t getting up, so I had to pour it myself.”

“Well, put it away. I’ll make French toast,” Jamie said, and Harper bounced into action, and darted away to put the cereal back. “Right after I talk to Grandma April.”

At the end of the hall, April was propped up in her bed, watching a program. There was beer next to the bed, and it looked like she’d made herself very comfortable over the weekend. She looked up when Jamie stopped in her doorway. “You’ve got money for me?”

“Two hundred dollars,” Jamie said, pulling out the correct amount, then stepping closer to hand it over. “Thanks for the car. It ran well.”

“Of course it runs well.” April clutched her money to her chest. “Did you fill up the tank?”

“I’ll do it later when I go out for cigarettes,” Jamie said. “I was just about to make some breakfast.”

“Well, I hope you’re paying for it,” April grumbled.

“I will.”

“So what are you going to do with your money?” April asked. “Besides cigarettes, of course. It’s been a while since you had any cash.”

Jamie shrugged. “I was still thinking about that bike for Harper. She could get a lot of use out of it before the weather turns.”

“As long as you fill up my tank, I don’t care with you do,” April said. “Hold onto the keys for now.”

Jamie nodded in agreement.

“Why were you talking about a bike?” Harper asked when Jamie came back into the kitchen. She was sitting at the table again, vibrating with excitement. “Are you going to get me one like we talked about?”

Jamie snorted. “It was supposed to be a surprise, but yes. I’m getting you a bike.”

“Today?!”

“I guess we could go look after breakfast,” Jamie said, pulling down the bread. “Walmart will probably have a couple in your size.”

“We’re getting a new one?!”

“Yep,” Jamie said as he got out the milk. “I made a little money this weekend and I was thinking of you first.”

“Oh, daddy! Thank you!”

“You’re welcome.” Jamie grabbed the cinnamon sugar, then turned back to his beaming daughter. Her smile was worth the whole trip, but Adam was still on his mind. He wondered what the other boy was having for breakfast.

Copyright © 2021 mastershakeme; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 5
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Oh the naivety of youth, I wonder how long it will be before realisation sets in, or will Gordon surprise us and really be a nice guy but I doubt it.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
3 hours ago, weinerdog said:

I don't really believe what I'm about to write but this is covering all the angles.Gordon who's small time all of a sudden has $40,000 🤔.How about this Adam's parents are well to do could some people who know who the parents are have gotten Gordon to take Adam sort of like a low key kidnapping without Adam realizing it?They would contact the parents and say they know where Adam is etc. I know its nuts,cookoo:blink: I say this just in case @mastershakemepulls a surprise

Gordon could've brought Adam to the attention of someone willing to pay for the kid's trafficking, which could explain a $40k down payment. Adam longs for the love and approval of a parental figure and so far Gordon's doing a decent job playing that role, winning Adam's trust. Next comes delivering the nubile young merchandise.

Technically, since they already transported a minor across state lines, I guess staging @weinerdog's faux kidnapping isn't much worse. To extort money from his parents, you'd want Adam in on it. That way, after the ransom gets paid and Adam is returned home, he can deny any knowledge of his kidnappers' identities. Even better, he can then sneak off to a predetermined rendezvous point, meet up with Gordon and/or Jamie, and drive off into the sunset tens of thousands of dollars richer. 

  • Wow 5
Link to comment

I don't know - it seems like if Gordon was pulling off a fake kidnapping, he wouldn't have been gallavanting about town with Adam in tow (cell phone store, eating delicious pies, making a stink about the hotel bill in the lobby).  It seems more likely that it's a grooming operation - Gordon's getting the boy to trust him but at some point (undoubtedly soon) he's going to say, "Look, kid, I spent $800 to get you out of that hellish town.  And another $800 to get you a new phone.  Not to mention all the food you've been eating.  And the electricity you use.  Expenses through the roof.  This can't go on or we'll be homeless in a month!"  Gordon will then logically and calmly explain to Adam that there's an easy solution: all Adam has to do, to pay Gordon back, is spend the night with one of Gordon's "really nice" friends.  Handcuffed and naked in the guy's dungeon.  Except I'm sure Gordon will "accidentally" leave out that last part.

I sure hope I'm wrong.  I'm actually optimistic about being wrong, because @mastershakeme has never been predictable. Maybe this will turn out to be an alien story....can't wait to find out!

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..