Jump to content
    Nephylim
  • Author
  • 1,006 Words
  • 3,553 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

In The Arms of an Angel - 35. Chapter 35

“Uzzy!” Pasha threw himself to the ground next to his stricken mate. Uzzy was completely unresponsive. He was breathing but only just and, when Pasha pressed his ear to his chest his heart was beating very slowly.

“Don’t just stand there,” Pasha cried to Gabri’el. “Help me. Help him.”

Gabri’el looked shocked. He stood, frozen, staring at Uzzy.

“Gabri’el, snap out of it. We have to help Uzzy. I’m scared. He might be dying.”

“He’s not dying,” Gabri’el said flatly.

“How do you know?”

“He’s not dying.” Gabri’el seemed to shake himself mentally and his eyes came to life. “Can you carry him?”

“Yes, of course. To the ends of the earth if I have to.”

“That won’t be necessary.”

Carefully, Pasha lifted Uzzy in his arms, terrified of his stillness. What had happened to him? Who was that man? Where had he taken him? What was he doing to him?”

Pasha was about to walk toward the doors when Gabriel said, “Not there. Bring him.”

Pasha followed Gabri’el down the steps, cradling Uzzy carefully, periodically looking into his beautiful face and praying he’d see some sign of life. He reached out constantly with his senses through the bond but there was nothing. It was as if it had never been.

Gabri’el led him across an empty square and along a short street to a rather grand house. “Hang on a minute.” Gabri’el slid aside a panel beside the door and pressed his hand against it. The door swung silently open. “This way.”

The house was large and cool, with high ceilings and spacious rooms. They climbed a rather ornate staircase to a grand bedroom. Pasha’s attention was drawn to an amazing tapestry of a peacock which hung over the bed. Without prompting, Pasha laid Uzzy on the bed. “He’s freezing cold.”

“Take off his clothes and get him into bed,” Gabriel said. “I’ll get some heated pads.”

Lovingly, Pasha stripped Uzzy and rubbed his body, trying to warm it. He might as well have banged his head against the wall.

“What’s the matter with him?” he asked when Gabri’el returned. “He’s so cold.”

Gabri’el shook his head and heaped velvet covered pillows around Uzzy. When Pasha touched one it was hot.

“I don’t know,” Gabri’el said. He sounded thoroughly miserable.

“Who the hell was that man?”

“I don’t know. I haven’t seen him before.”

Pasha tucked the covers around Uzzy then lay down beside him, gently stroking his face and hair. “Do you have any idea what he was talking about?”

Again, Gabri’el shook his head.

“What did he mean about us? About you being part of our bond?”

“I don’t know,” Gabriel said miserably. Suddenly he spun and punched the wall, so hard he made a hole. “Fucking hell! I feel so fucking helpless and I can’t do a damn thing about it. I can’t help him.”

“Calm down. We’ll figure something out.”

“How? Neither of us have a clue who that man is or what he’s done to Uzzy. Where do we look for him? Where do we start?” Gabri’el’s voice was rising and he was clearly very angry.

“There’s no point getting mad, Gabri’el. We have to think this through. There must be somewhere you can search for that man. A library? A data base? You must have the internet, or something like it. What about the Council?”

“The Council’s gone,” Gabri’el snapped.

“Alright, what about those who took over?”

“Maybe.”

“I can’t help but think,” Pasha said thoughtfully, “that this is a ruse, a clever way of separating us. Together we’re a force to be reckoned with. Without Uzzy, I’m nothing.”

“You have me,” Gabri’el said, his tone quite different.

“Let’s get one thing clear. No matter what that man said I can’t and won’t accept you as my mate, at least not until Uzzy is here. I don’t feel anything for you?”

Gabri’el stared at him, then stared at Uzzy. “I won’t lie. I don’t feel anything for you either. There was something… a connection when we touched but it’s gone and frankly I don’t want to rekindle it. Uzzy….” Gabri’el shook his head. “It’s no secret how I feel about him, but he’s yours and I’ve accepted it, I’ve had to.”

Gabriel drifted to the side of the bed and gazed down at Uzzy. With that tender expression on his face he was even more beautiful. The archangel was flawless and in other circumstances he would have taken Pasha’s breath away.

Gabri’el’s lips trembled and he reached out to brush his fingers across Uzzy’s lips. “I can’t do this,” he said and abruptly turned away. “Take care of him.”

“Wait. Where are you going?”

“To look for answers.”

“What about me? What about him?”

“You’re safe here.”

“I can’t just sit here. I have to do something.”

“I have a private library, and I have access to the data base. I don’t think you’ll have too much trouble working out the password.”

“But—.” It was too late. Gabri’el had gone, leaving Pasha alone. Pasha continued to stroke Uzzy’s face, which got no warmer. Neither did any other part of him, despite the warm pillows.

“I… can’t just sit here, my love. I have to do something. I have to try. I’ll be right here, in the room. I’m not going anywhere. If you need me just…reach out.” Bending down, he kissed Uzzy on the lips. It made him shudder.

Pacing the room, Pasha located a computer console but was too restless to sit down and use it. Pausing in front of a window he gazed out into a street that was busier than any he’d yet seen. The window looked down onto a commercial area, with stalls and hawkers. People wandered around, examining the wares.

Maybe he’d go take a look sometime. Suddenly it hit him. He could leave the house, but he needed Gabri’el’s handprint to get back in. There was no way he could leave Uzzy alone. He was effectively a prisoner.

Copyright © 2013 Nephylim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well...I'm decidedly not thrilled by this turn of events. :/

 

In addition...if the plan is to go forward with another longer-term storyline at this point, then I can't help but think that somewhere in the past few chapters (but likely before 34) would have been a great point to call it a day and wrap that up, as Book 1. Book 2, in that scenario, would be the closer-to-most-recent chapters, and so forth, continuing onward. As it stands, this is starting to seem less like aiming for a complete story and more like "The adventures of..." :/

 

I'm guessing that aiming for a complete story was in fact not in the cards, but with the way you've been able to weave events so intricately, this seems like it could work as such.

Link to comment

I don't like the sound of this. And Gabriel is starting to sound very un-mate like. Uzzy better survive whatever that guy did to him :angry::fight:

Link to comment
On 04/17/2013 04:51 PM, MJ85 said:
Well...I'm decidedly not thrilled by this turn of events. :/

 

In addition...if the plan is to go forward with another longer-term storyline at this point, then I can't help but think that somewhere in the past few chapters (but likely before 34) would have been a great point to call it a day and wrap that up, as Book 1. Book 2, in that scenario, would be the closer-to-most-recent chapters, and so forth, continuing onward. As it stands, this is starting to seem less like aiming for a complete story and more like "The adventures of..." :/

 

I'm guessing that aiming for a complete story was in fact not in the cards, but with the way you've been able to weave events so intricately, this seems like it could work as such.

the story is being written on a week by week basis as part of a flash fiction group. That's why the chapters are so short. with the average length of chapters being 3k words then 35 chapters word out at about 11 'normal' chapters. I hadn't intended the story to continue to be honest but then the characters told me a secret and I really had to tell it. I haven't yet, but you'll see soon. i'd say we've got at least four or five chapters left.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/17/2013 07:31 PM, Daithi said:
I don't like the sound of this. And Gabriel is starting to sound very un-mate like. Uzzy better survive whatever that guy did to him :angry::fight:
Gabri'el is... torn. He's going to come unravelled very soon and things will change dramatically. Define survive.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

:unsure: A disembodied Uzzy??. Interesting. What of this man that was so easily able to disembody Uzzy?? I'm not sure what to think of may happen next. I'm sure tho that if there is a prolonged absence of Uzzy that Pasha will slowly drive himself crazy with worry, guilt and sadness.

 

I'm still not sure what to make of Gabe's return and what he 'claims' he is doing for Uzzy. Has he really accepted the fact that Pasha and Uzzy are together or is this a clever ruse? A twisted dark plot to get what Gabe wants? So much to think on...

Link to comment
On 04/18/2013 03:38 AM, CW Prince said:
:unsure: A disembodied Uzzy??. Interesting. What of this man that was so easily able to disembody Uzzy?? I'm not sure what to think of may happen next. I'm sure tho that if there is a prolonged absence of Uzzy that Pasha will slowly drive himself crazy with worry, guilt and sadness.

 

I'm still not sure what to make of Gabe's return and what he 'claims' he is doing for Uzzy. Has he really accepted the fact that Pasha and Uzzy are together or is this a clever ruse? A twisted dark plot to get what Gabe wants? So much to think on...

Well, there is definitely a twisted dark plot, if that helps :) Not telling if Gabe is involved though :) Poor Uzzy. Poor Pasha. Oh, of course, you don't know, do you
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Where is this place? Is it limbo? The Garden of Eden? If it's Eden, then maybe the

strange little man is the Garden Gnome. At least the boys have nice digs in

lock down. Lushness, -but what about dinner? Hmm...maybe not so nice after all.

Pasha could fire up that computer and do a Heaven search. Can he open the window

and call down to somebody on the street? Such uncertainty!

Link to comment
On 04/18/2013 05:42 AM, Stephen said:
Where is this place? Is it limbo? The Garden of Eden? If it's Eden, then maybe the

strange little man is the Garden Gnome. At least the boys have nice digs in

lock down. Lushness, -but what about dinner? Hmm...maybe not so nice after all.

Pasha could fire up that computer and do a Heaven search. Can he open the window

and call down to somebody on the street? Such uncertainty!

well, Pasha can leave the house if he wants. He just can't get back in again. There wouldn't be much point shouting down because none of them could get in either. As for food, i'm assuming Gabe has a kitchen with food in it somewhere in the house. Hopefully he'll be back soon. this is Eden, the place where angels live. There's no such place as Heaven :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/28/2013 01:24 PM, xncrzy said:
you are so evil with these cliffy's. But I love this story. :worship:
Who? Me? Mwaha :) thank you
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 04/28/2013 01:24 PM, xncrzy said:
you are so evil with these cliffy's. But I love this story. :worship:
Who? Me? Mwaha :) thank you
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..