Jump to content
    Nephylim
  • Author
  • 1,005 Words
  • 3,878 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

In The Arms of an Angel - 20. Chapter 20 Where Is He

Darkness enfolded him. Deep darkness. The kind of darkness that breathes. Every now and again there were voices, snippets of conversation, bright pulses of light, pain, screams, the smell of burning, the touch silk, of flesh, of metal. But it always came back to the darkness. The thick, black, breathing darkness.

“Dammit Uzzi’el, will you please wake up.” Should he open his eyes? Part of him said he should and part of him didn’t have the energy to care. “Right. You asked for it.” There was a sudden brilliant flash of light that sent intense pain into his head and he screamed.

He became aware of someone, something close by. They were cursing and clucking, expletives spilling out in a torrent, accompanied by squawks and a clicking sound.

“Open your goddamn eyes, you lazy son of a bitch. I can’t believe you made me do that. You know I hate it when I have to do that. My feathers are singed. The least you could do is say thank you.”

“Fierro?”

“Who else, you stupid lump of stupid angel? Get your arse off that bed right now. You’ve a total disaster to stop.”

“What? What do you…?” Uzzi’el opened his eyes and looked around. He seemed to be in his own bed in his own room. He blinked again, his head still sore from the flash of light. “What was that?” he asked, rubbing his temple.

“I’m a phoenix, use your imagination,” Fierro snapped. “Now get up. Gabri’el’s about to make a monumental mistake.”

“Gabri’el? What do you mean?”

“Think about it. What’s the last thing you remember?”

“What do you mean?”

“Just think.”

Uzzi’el thought. “I was in a meeting with Gabri’el. We were talking about… about….” He sat up suddenly, almost knocking Fierro off his perch on the bed post. Into a new flurry of cursing he asked. “What happened?”

“I don’t know. I wasn’t there.”

“Don’t mess with me, Fierro, this is too important. What happened? Where’s Gabri’el? Where’s Pasha?”

Fierro squawked. “I won’t mess with, you shall I? Leave you now, shall I? Obviously you don’t want….”

“Don’t,” Uzzi’el said, firmly grasping Fierro’s beak and holding it closed. Fiero squawked and fluffed his feathers, sending tiny bolts of electricity flying everywhere. Uzzi’el ignored them. “I don’t want any of your nonsense, Fierro. I just want answers. Understand?” A series of clicks and squawks burst from the ball of feathers and electricity in his hands. “Understand?”

After a roll of the eyes and a single squawk, Uzzi’el let go of the bird who hopped out of reach and clicked his beak in a highly offended way. “Could have broken by beak. All I asked for was a simple thank you.”

“Fierro. Where. Is. Gabri’el? Where. Is. Pasha?”

“Gabri’el is about to lead your army into war. He’s persuaded the generals it would be a good idea to mount an all out attack on Micha’el.”

“What? Is he crazy? Does he know what he’s doing?”

“Seems to.”

“But… why… why hasn’t anyone run this by me?”

“Because Gabri’el has told everyone you’re ill. He told us you collapsed in the meeting and you’ve been unconscious ever since.”

“What? How long?”

“Two days.”

“Two days?! Dammit, I have to go. I have to stop him.” He slipped off the bed and staggered, almost falling. His hands flew to his head. “Goddamit, what did he do to me?”

Fierro looked uncomfortable. “What?” Uzzi’el asked. “What do you know?”

“Um… It’s not exactly what he’s doing to you.”

“What? Fierro, my head feels like someone’s unscrewed the top and vomited into it. I’m in no mood for games and riddles.”

“Okay, I’ll make this simple for you. No one is doing anything to you. They’re doing it to Pasha.”

“What? Doing what to him?”

Fierro fluffed his feathers. “How would I know? I’m able to see inside Micha’el’s camp now?”

“Micha’el? Micha’el has Pasha? But how? Gabri’el was guarding him. He….” Uzzi’el stopped, his eyes flying wide. A horrible thought was gnawing its way to the surface of his mind, spitting acid as it came. “Gabri’el. He betrayed me….betrayed Pasha. He never did post guards.”

“I’m not saying he didn’t post guards, I’m just saying they might not have been keeping somrthing out.

“No, they were keeping Pasha in. But why? Has Gabri’el betrayed us all? Is he in league with Micha’el now?”

“Hell no.”

“But….he sold us out. He handed him Pasha.”

“Yes. Think. Why?”

“Because….” Uzzi’el thought deeply, working things out as he went. “Because he knew the generals wouldn’t follow him as long as I was here to lead them. When I…. When I got lost they wouldn’t listen to him, wouldn’t accept his authority but…but, with me here and… incapacitated….” He shook his head in disbelief. “And he knew he couldn’t do anything to me directly because the healers would be able to tell.”

“Dammit, the man’s a genius,” Fierro said, his voice filled with admiration. “I…I meant in a totally evil way, of course,” he added, shrinking back from Uzzi’el’s glare.

“Where is he?”

“In the main meeting room. They’re about to….”

“Like fuck they are.”

Everyone looked up when the doors of the meeting room flew open and crashed back against the walls. Uzzi’el strode along the side of the table, hearing mutters and sounds of astonishment from the men and women sitting around it. Some of them quickly snatched up one of the fine crystal glasses, filled with golden liquid, and took a long drink. When he reached Gabri’el, who was standing, he stopped.

“Uzzi’el?” Gabri’el said warmly. “I’m so glad to see you on your feet again. Are you feeling better?” He sounded so sincere and the hypocrisy sickened Uzzi’el. Before he quite knew what he was doing, he’d drawn back his hand and hit Gabri’el so hard he knocked him right off his feet.

“Where is he?” he said in a calm, even voice and the whole room held its breath.

Check out this and other flashes, stories and published works at my blog nephylim-author.blogspot.co.uk
Copyright © 2013 Nephylim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 3
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

If I were Uzzi'el, I would execute Gabri'el right there, right where they stand. In front of everyone.

Link to comment

Oh man! I saw some betrayal coming, but to give Pasha to Michae'l!! Gabriel is truly devious, if it wasn't for the bird, Pasha's betrothed would still be out of commission. I'm guessing that by the short length of these chapters this will be a short story. Nice to another chapter though! LOL!

Link to comment

Go, Uzziel!!!! Its about time Gabriel got a little taste if his own medicine. Hope things are not too progressed for U to stop them and get to Pasha.

Link to comment
On 12/06/2012 11:29 AM, Benji said:
Oh man! I saw some betrayal coming, but to give Pasha to Michae'l!! Gabriel is truly devious, if it wasn't for the bird, Pasha's betrothed would still be out of commission. I'm guessing that by the short length of these chapters this will be a short story. Nice to another chapter though! LOL!
Thank you for your comment. The Chapter are short because it's posting on my blog as part of a Wednesday flash club. Every wednesday we have to post a story, or chapter of a story of no more than 1000 words. Therefore the chapters will never be more than 1000 words long. As to whether it will be a short story, i have no idea. I can''t see it ending anytime soon :) i'm glad you're enjoying. Gabriel is an arch manipulator. he means well... in his own head. The thing with Gabriel is that he has no time for humans, they are little more than animals, so he would have thought nothing of handing Pasha over.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/06/2012 11:29 AM, CW Prince said:
Go, Uzziel!!!! Its about time Gabriel got a little taste if his own medicine. Hope things are not too progressed for U to stop them and get to Pasha.
Oh, don't worry, Gabriel will have plenty of his own medicine thrust down his throat very shortly, figuratively speaking. The thing with Gabriel is that he doesn't understand why Uzzy is so concerned about saving humans. He wants all out war as fast and hard as possible. He wants to take the army, attack Micha'el and wipe him off the face of the earth... and the heavens. The fact is, Gabri'el knows they can win the battle and he doesn't understand why the mass slaughter of humans should be a consideration. Uzzy has held the army on a leash on the basis that they fight a guerilla war out of sight of humanity as far as possible. He feels that every human who dies is one too many. So now it's down to Uzzy to undo the damage Gabri'el has done and re persuade everyone to pull back...... or will he. His beloved is in the hands of the enemy. Will he have the restraint to continue to hold back... especially when Micha'el impatient with how things are going, decides to start playing with Pasha
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/06/2012 11:19 AM, MJ85 said:
If I were Uzzi'el, I would execute Gabri'el right there, right where they stand. In front of everyone.
But that's what makes Uzzy different to Micha'el and even Gabri'el. He wouldn't even consider killing someone unless he had no choice, especially not another angel. Bloodshed simply isn't his thing, which is why it's so important he heads the army and why Gabri'el was prepared to go to so much trouble to stop him.

 

Gabri'el wants all out war. Uzzy knows that if that happens, although they are likely to win it will result in the deaths of millions of humans and he simply isn't prepared to let that happen. Gabri'el thinks of humans as nothing more than cattle so he doesn't see where the problem is.

 

Gabri'el is about to be taken down a peg or two. Uzzy is in charge again and he's determined to be controlled and precise in his campaign... at least until Micha'el decides it's time to start playing with his captive.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

'At a boy Uzzi, go get 'em! I'm ready to see a few feathers fly!

Gabe is such a conceited bitch, and Mikey's just plain bad! I'm enjoying

this, even if it is in small bites.

Link to comment
On 12/06/2012 07:20 PM, Stephen said:
'At a boy Uzzi, go get 'em! I'm ready to see a few feathers fly!

Gabe is such a conceited bitch, and Mikey's just plain bad! I'm enjoying

this, even if it is in small bites.

Thank you. Uzzy is about to kick arse big time. He's pissed and he might be the angel of Mercy but there's mercy and then there's mercy :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..