Jump to content
    Nephylim
  • Author
  • 977 Words
  • 2,919 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

In The Arms of an Angel - 49. Chapter 49 - Don't Leave Us This Way

“This is crazy,” Pasha said. “It’s unreal. I feel stoned stupid. Are you sure you didn’t put acid in our drinks?”

Ari laughed. “No, no acid, just…magic, maybe? I’ll leave you to look around.”

“What do you mean ‘look around’? There’s nothing here.”

“Really? Try walking in a little further.”

Uzzy moved forward but Gabri’el pulled him back. “Wait here.” Gabri’el strode to the centre of the room, then turned slowly. His eyes were wide and the glittering rainbow energy was swirling in them.

“What is it?” Pasha asked; half eager and half anxious. “What can you see? What can you feel?”

“Everything,” Uzzy whispered.

“Everything,” Gabri’el gasped in wonder.

“Like I said, I’ll leave you to look around.”

“Wait. Are you leaving…altogether? Are you leaving us right now?”

Ari looked sad. “I have to. I’ve been called back. I can’t stay.”

“No one will know. Stay for a little while, just until we find our feet. A few days. Surely no one will notice a few days. How long will it take you to get home? Months? Years? Will they really miss a few days?”

“About half an hour and yes, I think they would.”

“Half an hour? How far away do you live?”

“About two galaxies…and then some.”

“In half an hour?”

“How long does it take you to travel through the angel gates? Star gates are just bigger versions and not quite so fast. It’s not a pleasant way to travel but the best we can do in the circumstances. I really do have to go. They’re waiting for me and it doesn’t do to keep the education panel waiting.” Suddenly, Ari looked very nervous. “They’ll have the result – whether I passed or failed.”

“What happens if you fail? Will you have to re-sit? Start again somewhere else?”

Ari shook his head. “There’s only once chance. Opportunities like this don’t come up very often. There aren’t an infinite number of suitable planets. This is it for me. If I fail….” He shrugged. “I guess I’ll be thrown off the programme and have to get a job.”

He looked and sounded so horrified Pasha couldn’t help but laugh. “Wouldn’t that just be the end of the world?”

Ari opened his mouth, looking indignant, then laughed. “I suppose you’re right. Time to ‘man up’ I guess. It wouldn’t be the end of the world if I failed. I don’t know, maybe it would do me some good. I have some growing up to do, I think, although this whole project has certainly dragged me on up the scale somewhat. Looking back, I can’t believe they ever gave me the project in the first place, at least not on my own.” He frowned. “Sometimes I think I’m the experiment.”

“I wouldn’t be surprised,” Uzzy said. “Speaking as one lab rat to another – it really isn’t that bad once you get over the righteous indignation.”

Ari spluttered and hugged Uzzy. “I’m going to miss you,” he said. Letting Uzzy go, he walked into The Core, grabbed Gabri’el’s hand and dragged the stunned angel across the floor until he was able to embrace them all. “I’m going to miss all of you.”

For a moment, they stood in silence, then Ari pulled free. “I suggest you move the Host into here. There are loads and loads of empty rooms. It’s a standard station and it was always way too big for me. Actually, you should contact them, Gabri’el, they’ve been waiting patiently for you.”

Gabri’el started, horrified that this was the first time he’d thought of his men. He’d told them to leave, but was unsurprised they were still there. “How long has it been since we left them?”

“Don’t worry. Not as long as it seemed. I’m much better at time than climate.” He grinned impishly “Now I really do have to go.”

“Wait. Don’t leave us like this. We’re not ready.”

“You’re as ready as you’ll ever be. Trust me. This isn’t anything that can be taught. And I wouldn’t be a very good teacher anyway.”

Quickly dropping a kiss on each cheek, Ari turned and, before anyone could say another word, he was gone.

“Dammit.”

“It’s just us then. Are we really God?”

“We’re something.”

“What shall we do now?”

“I don’t know about you,” Gabri’el said. “but I could do with a drink. I feel like a croquet ball that’s been hit with the mallet just a few too many times. I don’t think I can handle any more hoops right now.”

“Do you think we can? I mean, take time for a drink? Shouldn’t we be on constant watch or something. I mean… God. Doesn’t God have to….well… do everything?”

“You’d be surprised how little God actually has to do. It’s mostly just watching and making sure things are kept in balance. The Core is amazing. You step inside and suddenly you know everything. You are everything. You’re connected to every cell, every energy flow on the planet, and beyond. In The Core you can see all the patterns. The way they should be and the way they are. As long as it all pretty much matches we’re fine. If there are problems we can see them and then go to the control centre to sort them out. As long as we check The Core a couple of times a day we’re fine. There are alarms that go off if something unexpected crops up.”

“And that’s it?”

“Pretty much.”

“Well then,” Gabri’el said, sliding his arms around Uzzy and Pasha’s waists and pulling them close. “I think a little R & R is in order.”

“I’ll show you how everything works.”

“Oh, don’t worry.” Gabri’el said in a voice that conveyed his meaning much better than the words. “I know exactly how all the parts I’m thinking of work.”

Copyright © 2013 Nephylim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I hope we get to find out of Ari passes I don't want to think of him failing. So he was a bit off with the climate its no biggies humans figured out how to live with it and look at what he did do that should matter more than a few climate blips lol. Somehow i don't think the parts Gabriel is talking about are mechanical or part of the Core like the others are thinking about. Can't wait for the next chapter it's going to be a steamy doozey I hope hehe. Awesome chapter Nephy

  • Like 1
Link to comment

A strange new job for the trio, but whatever else, -it's a job and somebody's got to

do it I suppose. I'd hate it.

Link to comment
On 09/04/2013 08:17 PM, Daithi said:
I hope we get to find out of Ari passes I don't want to think of him failing. So he was a bit off with the climate its no biggies humans figured out how to live with it and look at what he did do that should matter more than a few climate blips lol. Somehow i don't think the parts Gabriel is talking about are mechanical or part of the Core like the others are thinking about. Can't wait for the next chapter it's going to be a steamy doozey I hope hehe. Awesome chapter Nephy
I think Ari will find a way of letting the boys know how he did. And as for the next chapter. It may be the last...unless it can't quite bring the story to an...erm...climax ;)
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 09/05/2013 03:30 AM, Stephen said:
A strange new job for the trio, but whatever else, -it's a job and somebody's got to

do it I suppose. I'd hate it.

Tell me about it! I certainly wouldn't want to take on the job
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..