Jump to content
    Nephylim
  • Author
  • 5,272 Words
  • 3,540 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Recovery - 4. Chapter 4

It was ten a.m and Alex was in hell. He’d sat with Kei right up to the moment they wheeled him into theatre. He was so drugged up it was easy to keep him calm. Not so Alex. Everything panicked him. Every time a nurse or a doctor came near. Every time someone make a note on a clipboard. He was especially panicked when he heard the doctors talking about what they were going to do. Mostly, they talked directly to Alex, when they weren’t forcing Kei awake long enough to talk to him and get him to sign things. Alex made absolutely sure he understood what he was signing and sometimes frustrated the doctors in doing so.

Kei seemed to know what he was doing though, especially when he insisted Alex be listed as next of kin and that he be given a form to hand over responsibility for all decision making to Alex. Alex didn’t know how he felt about that. It was a hell of a responsibility. But Kei, despite his drugged condition had his wits about him more than Alex did.

“They’ll make you leave,” he said firmly. “You know they will.”

It took Alex a little while to catch up. “Your parents?” he said at last.

Kei nodded. “They’ll turn up and take over. They hate you and they’ll made you leave. I don’t want that. I want you to be with me…all the time. I don’t want them anywhere near me.” He sighed. “But I know that isn’t going to happen. I don’t want you to fight with them, or make life difficult but I don’t want them making any decisions about me. They lost the right to that a long time ago.”

“Well,” the doctor said. “You’re over eighteen and you have the right to nominate whoever you want but you really should think about it. Surely your parents….”

Kei stopped her. “My parents don’t give a shit about me; Alex does. I don’t want them involved in anything. If you can’t promise me that, I want a lawyer here before I agree to anything.”

The doctor sighed. “There’s no need for that. I have all the paperwork you need. Hell you’re a strong willed young man, aren’t you?”

“Fucking right.”

The doctor smiled and squeezed his shoulder. “Good thing. Keep the fire burning.”

But now Alex was alone he had a whole new set of worries to add to whatever was going on with Kei. Jess had turned up an hour after she left, reporting dangerous roads and high winds. She’d found a family lounge and taken up residence. Apart from her, though, he’d neither seen nor heard from anyone. It wouldn’t have taken his parents or Maria this long to get to him. Time after time he went outside and checked his messages, but there were none. It took him a while to realise this might have been because he had no signal.

“Where the hell are they?” he exploded to Jess. “They should have been here hours ago.”

“The roads are crap, Alex,” Jess said calmly. “They might even have stayed over somewhere.”

“Well…yeah, I suppose.”

“I bet there are dozens of messages and missed calls.”

“Damn bloody phone. How dare it not work.”

“Have you thought of using Kei’s phone?”

“I can’t do that.”

“Why not? They gave you his stuff didn’t they?”

“Yes but….”

“He won’t mind, Alex. You know he won’t mind.”

“I know but…”

“Oh for heaven sake.” Jess, searched around and grabbed the plastic bag that had Kei’s watch, phone, money and piercings in. “Eew, this stuff is gross. I didn’t even know he had them, neither did I want to. Here, you put your hand in and get the phone.”

Alex rolled his eyes but obliged, his fingers lingering to lovingly stroke the little bars and rings. When he closed his eyes he could see them, in place, glinting in the light of the fire, or the harsh glare of the kitchen or the softer light of the bedroom.

“Alex,” Jess said, elbowing him. “Stop perving and make the calls.”

“I wasn’t perving,” he said but half heartedly. He couldn’t really defend himself, could he? With a deep sigh, he took the phone and headed for the door. There were a couple of texts on Kei’s phone, from his mother, Maria and some friends.

This time, he went out the side door and it was surreal. There weren’t constant cars coming and going here, just a porch and some benches, where the smokers congregated. There was a little knot of them, huddling in the poor shelter of the porch. It was still snowing and everything was silent. People were talking in hushed voices in deference to it. It was almost a holy silence.

Shivering, Alex pulled up the collar of his coat and ventured out. Snow crunched under his feet and caught in his eyelashes, soaking into his jeans and light coat. Although he couldn’t really have said why, he didn’t want to make the calls in front of all the other people.

He rang his mother first and the phone was answered in only a few rings. “Kei?” The voice was shocked.

“No, it’s me, I’m using Kei’s phone because there’s no signal on mine.”

“Alex, thank goodness. I’ve been calling and texting. I thought something had happened.”

“Only that I’ve been frantic with worry about you.” He could have laughed at the tone in his voice. It was one his parents had used often enough with him.

Rose Chambers chuckled at her son. “You needn’t have been. The weather was dreadful last night so your father and I booked into a motel. It’s not much better this morning but it’s doable. Don’t know what it will be like when we get off the motorway, but we’re about to find out. All being well we should be there in half an hour. How are things going your end?”

Weak with relief, Alex slumped against a handy wall. “I don’t know. It’s all been….” He laughed ironically, “as surreal as the snow. Apart from the fact they’ve been drugging him, Kei’s himself and it’s hard to imagine… I don’t want to imagine it. I keep going over and over in my head all the things I should have noticed, should have done, should have said.”

“Don’t beat yourself up about that baby. We’ve all done that. I’m not feeling proud of myself that I was so mean to him on the phone yesterday, but these things happen. No one knows what’s round the corner. Has the surgery started?”

Alex’s stomach surged and he felt nauseous. He’d been deliberately trying not to think about it. “Yes. They said they wouldn’t be able to give me any news until it’s over.”

“How long will it be?”

“Three to five hours.”

“Well, I’m sure it’s not going to feel like it, but that’s not particularly long for an operation, especially something so serious.”

“It’s already seemed like a lifetime. I can’t help thinking…imagining….”

“I know honey. It’s natural. We’ll be there soon.”

“Mum….”

“What is it darling? I can tell from the tone of your voice it’s not something good.”

“Kei made me his next of kin. He signed papers to say that I get to make all the decisions if he can’t.”

“Oh.”

“He was afraid his parents would push me out and try to stop me being with him.”

“That’s probably right,” Rose said slowly, “but it’s a heck of a responsibility.”

“I know. I’m scared.”

“It’s going to be alright. Whatever happens we’ll be with you.”

“Thanks Mum.”

“Alex, it’s not just you we want to be there for. Kei’s like a son to us and we want to be there for him too.”

“I know, Mum.”

The call with Kei’s parents didn’t go so well. They, too, had spent the night in a hotel to ride out the storm. They weren’t happy about having to travel through snow today. In fact, his mother didn’t sound happy they were coming at all. She listened to his news without, apparently, turning a hair and coldly informed him they might or might not be there by the time Kei came out of surgery. That was it. There was precious little emotion, but there never was.

“Maria was frantic. Her friend had diverted to another friend half way here and had refused to even think about driving any further in the snow. She was furious and had managed to track down someone else who was prepared to drive her. Alex was shocked and concerned to discover that she had little idea who this person was and had never actually met them.

“He has to be nice, Alex,” she said in exasperation. “He wouldn’t be driving me all this way if he wasn’t nice.” What could he say to that?

“Don’t worry, she knows what she’s doing,” Jess said when he got back to the waiting room.

“But she’s seventeen and travelling all that way with a man she’s only just met. Why is he doing it? Why would anyone agree to drive a stranger a hundred miles in a snowstorm?”

“Because they’re really nice.”

“Yeah right, dream on Pollyanna.”

Jess shook her head. “You’re so cynical, Alex. Anyone would think you were ninety, not nineteen.”

“Only for another couple of weeks,” he corrected automatically. Then a thought struck him. “Do you think we should cancel the party?”

“Let’s see what happens first. It’s over a month away. Kei might be fine by then.”

“Maybe.”

“It’ll be something for him to aim for.” Alex shrugged morosely. “Listen,” she said, grabbing his arms. “I’ve been reading. Depending on where the tumour is, he could be out of bed tomorrow and home in a couple of days. He’s going to be weak for a while and need some looking after but it doesn’t have to be a huge thing.”

“Really?” He looked at Jess in surprise.

“Really,” she said firmly. “I looked up a couple of sites yesterday when I went home. As long as the tumour’s accessible and nothing goes wrong it’s not a huge operation to recover from. People get really scared about it but it needn’t be as horrible as we think. And if the tumour is benign—that means not cancer—and they get it all out he won’t even need any more treatment, unless he has to have physio or something.”

“But that’s the super best case scenario isn’t it? There are so many things that can go wrong.”

“There always are, but you have to look on the bright side because if you list all the things that might go wrong you’re not helping yourself and you’re not helping Kei.”

“More of that positive energy shit?”

“It’s not shit. Anyway, it has to be worth a try right? Anything that might help Kei is worth trying.”

“True.” Alex collapsed in a chair and took his head in his hand. “I wish it was over. For better or worse I just wish I knew.”

“The waiting is always worse. When you don’t know you build up a stock of all the bad thinks. When you know you start thinking about what you can do to make it better. It’s all about….”

“Positive energy, I know.”

Jess hugged him and sat on the arm of the chair so they could keep hugging each other.

They weren’t the only ones in the waiting room. The others made little knots, chatted among themselves, came and went. No one bothered the two young people in each other’s arms. Whether they thought they were a couple Alex didn’t know and didn’t care. He didn’t care what they thought at all.

When he spotted his mother walking through the door, Alex surged to his feet and Jess, half asleep, almost fell to the floor.

“Sorry. Shit, sorry, Jess. Are you okay?”

“I’m fine.” She grinned at Rose. “Seems like your son dumped me, Mrs Chambers, as if I didn’t get the message first time.”

“Jess,” Alex said with wide eyes, acutely embarrassed.

Rose hugged him. “She knows a good thing when she sees it,” she said with a twinkle.

“Mum, isn’t this a bit inappropriate?” He glared at Jess. “I don’t appreciate being teased about my ex girlfriend when my current boyfriend is in surgery. I just don’t… I can’t handle it.”

“I’m sorry, darling,” Rose said hugging him tighter. “It was a thoughtless of me.”

“Me too,” Jess said. “I’m sorry, Alex.”

Alex shook his head. “No, I’m the one who should be sorry. I shouldn’t have snapped at you. I know you were teasing. It’s just….”

“You’re worried and upset, baby. We all understand that. Now… do you have a kettle? I’d kill for coffee.”

Having his parents there was a huge boost to Alex. His father, strong and silent but ever practical and his mother, sweet and pretty and always in control. Between them they could do anything and calming Alex was one of them…at least for a while.

As the four hour mark slipped past Alex started to feel horribly sick. What was going on? What were they doing to Kei? Was it going well?

“Alex!” A bundle of energy flung itself into his arms and he automatically tightened them around her. “What’s happening? What’s going on? Where’s Kei? Is he alright? Have I missed anything? Please, please Alex, tell me he’s okay. Please.”

Alex hugged closely the only other person in the world who loved Kei as much if not more than he did.

“We don’t know, Maria,” he said at last. “We’re waiting for news. As far as I know he’s still in surgery.”

She winced at the word. “It’s really happening then. Kei’s really sick. They’re really doing that to him.”

“Yeah.”

She fell silent, holding on to him as if her life depended on it.

“Oh,” Maria said eventually. “I didn’t introduce you. This is Jace. It’s not short for Jason, it’s just Jace. He’s a student at Reading. Poppy was a wuss and wouldn’t drive in the snow. Jace was braver and kinder too. He drove me all the way.”

“It wasn’t brave, Maria, it was stupid.” Alex looked up at the person who spoke. He wasn’t what Alex had expected. Certainly not a dirty old man. He looked to be a couple of years older than Maria, around the same age as he and Kei, maybe a little older. He was bundled up in a shabby parka and his dark dreads hung to below his waist, caught in a band at the back and threaded with bright coloured beads. Bright blue eyes twinkled as he spoke and his voice was deep and warm. Despite himself, Alex felt a little flutter looking into those eyes. Goddamn the boy was gorgeous. And kind too?

“Thank you,” he said. The boy looked surprised. “I should kick your arse for putting my little sister at risk by driving her here in the snow, but I’m grateful as hell that you got her here.”

“Your little sister? I thought she was Kei’s sister.”

“They share me,” Maria said with a grin and linked her arm with Jace’s. “Come meet my surrogate mum.” Jace looked confused, but followed her.

Alex began to feel claustrophobic and slipped outside. He leaned against the wall in the corridor taking deep breaths. He noticed a man in scrubs approaching along the corridor but didn’t think anything about it until he went into the waiting room. Suddenly scared, he followed just in time to hear the doctor call his name.

“I…I’m Alex Chambers.”

“Hi. I’m Dr Peterson, I was in charge of the surgery.”

“How is he? Is Kei alright?”

“The operation went well. There were no problems at all. We’ve got all the tumour out and it looks benign. We’ll have to carry out some tests but I’m fairly certain it’s not cancerous.” Dr Peterson smiled and squeezed Alex’s shoulder. “Under the circumstances the news couldn’t be better. There are no guarantees but everything points to your friend being just fine.”

Alex felt dizzy. He was so glad when his mother appeared at his elbow. “That’s fabulous news, doctor. When can we see Kei?”

“He’s in recovery at the moment, but he’s been awake and lucid so there’s no reason to believe there was any significant brain damage. They’ll be taking him up to the ICU in about half an hour and someone will come and get you. Try not to worry. The worst is over. It’s just a matter of building up his strength now. If everything goes well he could be home in a couple of days, although it will take a lot longer to get over it completely. It’s over to you now.”

“Thank you. Thank you so much.” Alex wanted so much to hug him but held back. It was over. It was over and everything was going to be alright. Kei was going to be alright.

Maria was literally bouncing and she threw herself at Alex again. “It’s going to be alright,” she said. “It’s going to be alright.”

The next half hour flew. Where before there had been a heavy silence there was now excitement and chatter. It was into this that Mr and Mrs Prince walked.

“Maria,” her mother’s voice said, shocked. “What are you doing with that grubby person?”

Maria let go of Jace, who was hugging her and rounded on her mother. “Jace is the person who was kind enough to drive a hundred miles in the snow so I could be here for my brother when he needs me.”

“I thought Poppy was driving you.”

“Poppy was too frightened to drive in the snow.”

“She was right. It was a crazy thing to do.”

“You did it.”

“That’s different.”

“And how?”

“Maybe, if you can stop arguing for long enough, you might want to hear something about Kei.” Alex’s voice was flat, and both Mr and Mrs Prince looked up at the same moment.

Their eyes slid over him and settled on his mother. “Have you had any news?” Bonnie asked.

Rose pursed her lips. “The doctor spoke to Alex, Bonnie. Maybe you should ask him.”

“I’m sure Alex has done a wonderful job, but we’re here now. Frank, go find a doctor. Alex, you can go home now.”

Alex stared at her. He couldn’t think of a single thing to say because his mind had gone blank. “I…What?”

“You can go. I’m sure you have places you need to be. Don’t you have exams to study for?”

“You…You think…? You think I’m going to leave? Now? Ever?”

“We’re here now, Alex,” Bonnie said as if that said it all.

“Yes, you’re here…now. Where have you been for the last year? I’ve been right here and I’m staying right here.”

“I think you may be misunderstanding, Alex. Now that we’re here you’re no longer needed.”

“Not by you, but I am by Kei and he’s the only one I care about.”

“Alex, get the message,” Frank said. “You’re not welcome. Go home.”

“Frank,” Alex said, “I think you are the one who’s misunderstanding. If there’s anyone who isn’t wanted here, it’s you. Kei didn’t even want me to tell you. He’s not going to want to see you.”

“Well he certainly isn’t going to see you. We’re his parents and we make the decisions from now on.”

“You didn’t tell anyone, did you?” Bonnie asked, suddenly anxious. “You didn’t tell them you’re his… his….”

“Boyfriend? Yes, actually I did. I told them when I was sitting next to him all night. And he told them when he insisted on signing papers to make me his next of kin and attorney. If there’s anyone around here making decisions it’s going to be me.”

Alex wasn’t one for confrontation and he’d never been openly aggressive but he knew where this conversation was leading and they needed to know the score right from the start.

“He did what?”

“You heard. Now, I have no problem with you staying because I’m not a hypocritical bigot, but if you make a scene or make anything more difficult for any of us or, particularly Kei, I’ll have you removed by security if I have to.”

Seeing their shocked faces he thawed. These were Kei’s parents after all. Maybe this was the time he could melt the ice a bit. “Look, I really, really don’t want to fight with you. This is hard enough for all of us without fighting. Please can we just try to get on… for Kei.”

“This is outrageous. How…?”

“He’s right, Frank. This is about Kei. No one here is going to know us. It won’t matter that….”

“That everyone knows your son is gay? No, that doesn’t matter here. It doesn’t matter to anyone here. Most of all, it doesn’t matter to me.” Furious, Alex walked off before he said something he’d regret. He slipped into the corridor again and stood with his back against the wall trying to calm down.

When the door opened and shut, he expected it to be his mother but it was Maria.

“I’m really sorry, Alex. If I could have I wouldn’t have told them, but they’re my mam and dad—Kei’s mam and dad.”

Alex put his arm around her and pulled her close to his side. “That’s okay, hun. I totally understand. It’s not your fault. It’s not as if we don’t know what they’re like. Kei was totally right when he said we needed to get something official sorted out. I didn’t want to think about it but I guess he knows your parents better than I do. I never in a million years would have thought they’d send me away. Not now. Not after something like this.”

“You should know them by now, Alex. They’re jerks. To be perfectly honest I’m surprised they came.”

“You are? But it’s Kei…their son. He needs them.”

“I doubt that. I think he’d be better off without them. I honestly thought their reputation and their jobs would be more important to them than Kei. Although I guess it wouldn’t have been good for their reputation if they hadn’t come. They don’t hate Kei, but they hate that he’s gay. They lie about it all the time. They pretend he’s with a girl. It’s going to bite them on the arse one day. I’m doing my best to make sure it does. They’re not impressed. They’re keeping me away from their friends now.” She grinned wickedly.

“I’ve got a feeling the managing partner is gay. They’re going to have a hell of a shock one of these days when he comes out. I have a feeling that all of a sudden they’ll pull Kei out of the closet and start parading him in front of those parasites. He’s better off in disgrace.”

“You might be right there.”

“I’m always right.”

Alex groaned. “Oh don’t. You sound like Kei.”

“Ah, but I’m right all the time. He’s only right most of the time… when he’s agreeing with me.”

Alex hugged her closer. “Yeah two of a kind for sure.”

“Alex?”

“’Sup beautiful?”

“He’s going to be alright isn’t he? Kei? I couldn’t bear it if….”

“Hey, you heard what the doc said. He’s come through fine. He’s going to be okay.”

“I know but….”

“Yeah. Me too. It’ll be better when we can see him.”

“Yes. I need to see him. I need it really badly.”

“It won’t be long now.”

They both looked up when the door opened again.

“Come on you two,” Rose said firmly. “Come and sit down. We brought some provisions. I’ll bet neither of you have had anything to eat today.”

“No, actually. I haven’t had a thing.”

They both gave Mr and Mrs Prince a wide berth, not that they courted attention. Rose had a selection of snacks set out on the table and was bringing more out of her bag. Alex sat morosely and picked at them. He wasn’t hungry and he wasn’t interested. All he wanted was go see Kei, to hold him in his arms and finally allow himself to believe he was really okay. Until then he wouldn’t be able to get rid of that horrible nagging feeling in the pit of his stomach that things were going to go wrong.

While the others ate, he got up and paced restlessly, jumping every time the door opened. Finally it opened for him.

A cheerful little nurse led Alex and Rose along the corridors of the hospital. She’d insisted on only two and, at first, Mr and Mrs Prince tried to suggest that, as his parents, it should be them. Fortunately there were enough people there who knew the truth to shout them down. The nurse promised to return to show them the ICU visitors room which was more set up for long term occupation.

“They even have tea and coffee on tap,” she said with a smile to Rose. “What more could you want?”

“You’ve got the basic essentials covered for sure,” Rose said with a smile.

Alex found himself entirely unable to banter. He was focussed on one thing and one thing only. The nurse had reassured him that Kei was doing fine but he wasn’t going to believe it until he saw it for himself.

“He’s lucky. We happened to have one super deluxe private room available and we got him upgraded at the last minute.”

“You did?” Alex asked dazed and the nurse laughed.

“Not really. It’s a case of whatever’s available here. Believe it or not we’re quiet at the moment. Sometimes it’s like a circus, but we’re not even full right now.”

“Um…good?”

The nurse laughed. “Don’t worry, I’m used to people in your position, so I won’t wonder about your sanity.”

The nurse paused outside a door. “Because the room’s not open to the ward there’ll be a nurse in there all the time. That’s quite usual. Don’t worry, it’s not because Keyden is sicker than other patients. It’s just policy.”

“His name’s Kei. I mean…um… he likes to be called Kei.”

“I’ll make sure everyone knows.”

She opened the door and ushered them inside, closing it behind them with her on the outside. The room wasn’t dark, at least. A male nurse had been making notes on a clipboard and he looked up. Alex blinked. He was cute as hell, with spiky blonde hair and sparkling blue eyes. He immediately felt guilty. He was hitting on the nurse now? While Kei was…was… His eyes roved beyond the nurse who instantly ceased to warrant his attention.

Alex was really surprised. Apart from the fact he was wired up to the usual battery of monitors, and he had a bright white bandage around his head, Kei really didn’t look any different. Okay, his eyes were sunken and bruised looking and maybe he was paler than usual but he wasn’t anywhere near as bad as he’d expected him to be.

“Kei,” he breathed as his feet drew him to the edge of the bed. This one was higher than the last one, with solid bars going half way down. The head was raised so Kei’s face was almost level with his own. “Oh shit Kei, I’ve been so scared.” He leaned forward and kissed Kei’s cheek. He was surprised again, when Kei stirred and murmured something.

“He’s still pretty much out of it,” the nurse said, “and they’ll probably keep him sedated at least until tomorrow, to make sure any swelling goes down and the pressure inside his head stays steady.”

“But…. There isn’t likely to be a problem is there? Not now?”

“There are always risks, always a chance of things going wrong. But there’s nothing to suggest they will in this case.”

“But they could.”

“Alex, there’s always a risk; you know better than that. You need to stop looking on the downside. Kei’s come through this really well and you have to be encouraging not doom-saying.”

“I know. I know. I just feel….”

“Worried? Scared? Helpless?” The nurse smiled sympathetically. “You and everyone else whose loved one is in here. It’s natural. Don’t worry about it. If you have any questions don’t be afraid to ask. Think of me as a walking pamphlet.”

“What am I supposed to do now?”

“Ah, unfortunately that’s one of the questions I’m not programmed to answer. That’s up to you.”

“Can he hear me?”

“Wake him up and ask him.”

“Can I?”

“Well, I wouldn’t suggest you keep him awake for long, or that you wake him up too often. He needs his rest. But there’s no reason why you shouldn’t let him know you’re here.”

Alex’s eyes sparkled as he took Kei’s hand. “Hey you, wake up. I’ve been waiting all day to talk to you.” He stroked Kei’s cheek with the back of his fingers and Kei sighed and turned his head towards the touch. “Kei? Wake up, baby. Just wake up and let me know you’re okay.”

Alex held his breath as Kei’s eyes fluttered. He seemed to be struggling but eventually managed to get his eyes half open. They looked sticky and sore. When he saw Alex he squinted, then smiled.

“Alex?”

“Yeah, I’m here, baby. I’m here for you. I’ve been here the whole time… well all the time I was allowed to.”

“I…wasn’t sure.”

“Wasn’t sure of what?”

“Anything. I’m not sure of anything. I feel weird. I…think I remember.” He blinked up at Alex, frowning. His eyes slowly cleared. “I think I was…am…was…sick. Was I?”

“Yes, babe, you’re ill right now. But you’re getting better. It won’t be long. You’ll be home soon.”

“I didn’t know.”

“Didn’t know what?”

“That I’m…” He frowned and his eyes fluttered. He managed to open them again and focus on Alex. “Am I supposed to have an operation?” His eyes widened. “I think I’m scared.”

“It’s done, babe. It’s all over. You’re fine. You’re going to be better really soon. You just have to rest, that’s all. Rest and let your body heal.”

“Just…rest?”

“That’s all. Go to sleep and I’ll wait right here until you wake up.”

“Right…here?”

“I’m not going anywhere.”

Kei sighed and smiled. “I am tired.”

“Then go to sleep.” Alex’s heart was soaring. That little smile on Kei’s face was enough to light his world like a mini sun.

“You’ll be here?”

“Right here.”

“Me too, darling.”

Kei slowly swivelled his eyes to look at Rose. He had a hard time keeping control of them. “Rose,” he whispered. “Rose, you came.”

“We’re all here, honey.”

“He didn’t leave me, Rose.” Kei’s smile brightened even more. “I didn’t screw it up.”

Rose smoothed his forehead. “No my darling, you didn’t screw it up. We’re all very sorry. We didn’t know you were so ill.”

“I was?”

“Yes, you were.”

“Am I better now?”

“You’re getting there, darling. Go to sleep now. We’ll be here.”

“Okay.” Kei smiled at her and let his eyelids fall. “Alex,” he called, opening them again.

“I’m here.”

Kei smiled then fell asleep.

“There you go,” the nurse said. “Feeling better now?”

Alex bit his lip and nodded. He was afraid that if he spoke he’d cry. Rose put her arm around him.

“Why don’t you stay here with Kei and I’ll go tell everyone what’s going on? I’ll show them the visitor’s room. I’ll come back in a little while.”

Alex barely heard her, but he nodded and smiled vacantly.

so sorry about the delay. Time has gone crazy recently. it just keeps slipping away from me :) If anyone would like to poke me hard in the ribs if i get behind i would be quite happy to bear the pain :) This story is completed and all it takes is the physical posting of the chapter every week. You'd think even i could manage that right? Haha.
Copyright © 2014 Nephylim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

OH MY GOD! so thankful everything has turned out good for right now. I hope you continue with this for the long term because the characters are so well written i could read for ages. Anyway Keep it up! it's so so so good!!

Link to comment

and a glimmer of hope appears. You have done a great job of keeping a realistic tension over the waiting game that accompanies surgery. The frustration and helplessness is staggering at times. The conversation with Alex and Kei nearly brought a tear to me eye, it was so touching.

 

Kei's parents, however deserve a frontal lobotomy to improve their personality disorders. Hopefully this whole experience opens their eyes. If not, I hope Kei turns his back on them and gathers his support from the people who will love him without embarrassment.

 

Lovely chapter :)

Link to comment
On 05/20/2013 06:40 AM, Mark M said:
OH MY GOD! so thankful everything has turned out good for right now. I hope you continue with this for the long term because the characters are so well written i could read for ages. Anyway Keep it up! it's so so so good!!
Thank you :) There are twenty one chapters so a way to go yet. :)
Link to comment
On 05/20/2013 07:01 AM, Mann Ramblings said:
and a glimmer of hope appears. You have done a great job of keeping a realistic tension over the waiting game that accompanies surgery. The frustration and helplessness is staggering at times. The conversation with Alex and Kei nearly brought a tear to me eye, it was so touching.

 

Kei's parents, however deserve a frontal lobotomy to improve their personality disorders. Hopefully this whole experience opens their eyes. If not, I hope Kei turns his back on them and gathers his support from the people who will love him without embarrassment.

 

Lovely chapter :)

I've been there, in that waiting room and I could have written chapters on the things that go through your mind, the way that panic becomes routine. I tried to keep it fairly short for now though because there are other more important things to focus on. There will, however, be plenty more waiting time to experience later on :)

 

Fortunately, Kei knows his parents well enough to make sure they can't push Alex out. I'm quite impressed he had the foresight. I had no idea I was going to write that bit until Kei nudged me at the time I was writing. I hadn't thought about them muscling in and alex out. Anyway, it didn't and isn't going to happen.

 

As for the experience opening their eyes... Unfortunately some people don't want their eyes opened, at least not in certain areas. we certainly see them in a more human light, with their own vulnerabilities and weaknesses. In a way they do love Kei and Kei definitely has a desperate desire to be loved by them. Fortunately there are many other people willing and able to satisfy that desire.

Link to comment

Wow what a chapter. So many points of stress for Alex. Worry about his parents if they are alright, worry about Marie stuck in the middle of nowhere relying on a stranger for a lift. We won't even talk about the two who call themselves Kei's parents. God what morons!!. But in the end Alex got to see and talk to Kei, yes he is a bit confused but he is aware of what's going on and he recognized Alex and Rose right away. The rest can be dealt with in its time. Alex might question Kei putting him in control but Alex proved without a doubt that he can handle it and he will put Kei first. Looking forward go next installment, which means we will hear more from the morons once the shock of being put in their place is over lol.

Link to comment

You really like writing about characters who have medical issues, don't cha? smile. Anyway, saw that you had updated this one and I decided to see what it's about while I wait for you to finish Fallen. Now I'm hooked. Which is really easy to do with your stories. The characters for this story are so interesting. I want to know more about everyone, even Maria and Jace. Couple, maybe??? Perfect pitch on the waiting for news scene. Such tension and anxiety. Since all the chapters have been written, how about posting two a week? Or is that unreasonable? Hummm?

Link to comment

This chapter was wonderful and very true. Brings back memories of my late husband in surgery for cancer. All the emotions were there, the support from family, the long waits. Loved the ending.

As to the delay in posting I always feel that, when you're giving us stories to read without charge, we don't really have a right to complain if life sometimes gets in the way. I get antsy for more, but feel it isn't right to push the author when there might be things going on that I don't know about. That said, I look forward to reading whatever you post next.

Link to comment
On 05/20/2013 07:43 AM, Daithi said:
Wow what a chapter. So many points of stress for Alex. Worry about his parents if they are alright, worry about Marie stuck in the middle of nowhere relying on a stranger for a lift. We won't even talk about the two who call themselves Kei's parents. God what morons!!. But in the end Alex got to see and talk to Kei, yes he is a bit confused but he is aware of what's going on and he recognized Alex and Rose right away. The rest can be dealt with in its time. Alex might question Kei putting him in control but Alex proved without a doubt that he can handle it and he will put Kei first. Looking forward go next installment, which means we will hear more from the morons once the shock of being put in their place is over lol.
Oh yeah, you'll see more of the morons. Unfortunately. Thank you for your kind comments. Alex is stronger than he thinks and he's going to have to be. His troubles are only just beginning
Link to comment
On 05/20/2013 10:14 AM, LadyDe said:
You really like writing about characters who have medical issues, don't cha? smile. Anyway, saw that you had updated this one and I decided to see what it's about while I wait for you to finish Fallen. Now I'm hooked. Which is really easy to do with your stories. The characters for this story are so interesting. I want to know more about everyone, even Maria and Jace. Couple, maybe??? Perfect pitch on the waiting for news scene. Such tension and anxiety. Since all the chapters have been written, how about posting two a week? Or is that unreasonable? Hummm?
fallen is finished hun and has been for ages and ages :) I like to put my characteres into situations of extreme stress and there is never more stress than when your loved ones are sick. i find people's true characters come out in those situations. and, of course i like torture :)
Link to comment
On 05/20/2013 11:46 AM, avidreadr said:
This chapter was wonderful and very true. Brings back memories of my late husband in surgery for cancer. All the emotions were there, the support from family, the long waits. Loved the ending.

As to the delay in posting I always feel that, when you're giving us stories to read without charge, we don't really have a right to complain if life sometimes gets in the way. I get antsy for more, but feel it isn't right to push the author when there might be things going on that I don't know about. That said, I look forward to reading whatever you post next.

Sorry to stir up difficult memories but i guess that's going to happen when i write about difficult situations. You feel free to push me as much as you like. Much of the reason for delayed posting is that my memory is absolutely apalling and i'm lazy. i've not managed to work out how to use the delayed posting widget. last time I tried I flooded the place when all the chapters posted at once :)
Link to comment

The story is great! My only complaint is the delay in posting chapters, since you've stated it's all written. Please post more.

Link to comment
On 06/11/2013 11:41 AM, purrbaby said:
The story is great! My only complaint is the delay in posting chapters, since you've stated it's all written. Please post more.
O'm sorry. I'm really bad at updating recently. I'll try to be more reliable. I've been trying to work the delayed posting stystem. i'll ask cia tonight
Link to comment

Looks like the surgery went well. That's a relief. Looks like I was on the right track about Kei's parents, (oops, called him 'Kai' a couple of times in my last review) they really are selfish people who would have caused a lot of heart ache for Alex.

Thanks Nephy. :)

Link to comment
On 06/17/2013 09:39 AM, Mike00 said:
Looks like the surgery went well. That's a relief. Looks like I was on the right track about Kei's parents, (oops, called him 'Kai' a couple of times in my last review) they really are selfish people who would have caused a lot of heart ache for Alex.

Thanks Nephy. :)

i didn't even notice :) Sadly, I know a lot of people like Kei's parents. I've made them lawyers for a reason, not that all lawyers are like that. Most lawyers are almost human. But high powered corporate lawyers sometimes put image before everything, even family
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..