Jump to content
    Nephylim
  • Author
  • 926 Words
  • 1,632 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Game - 15. Chapter 15

Ben was finding it hard to concentrate. He was trying to catch up on paperwork but, in the end he had to thrust aside the mound of papers and turn away from the computer screen. He was restless and angry. It was difficult to express precisely what it was he was angry about it, but that was only because he was still refusing to admit it, to face it. He knew.... only too well.

Andrea made lunch and brought it in to him. It was a home made burgher in a sesame bun. He ate with open enjoyment. It had been a long time since he had eaten home cooking.

“These are really good.”

“Thank you. I like to cook. I have tried to encourage Daniel to do something in the kitchen but he wasn’t interested. To be honest he doesn’t seem interested in anything very much, although that is hardly surprising given the drugs he’s on. Do you know why he had been prescribed them?”

“No.”

“He seems such a gentle kid. This stuff is usually saved for the real hard cases. Has he ever been violent here?”

“No.”

“Then why...?”

“That is not for us to question or say. The Professor prescribes the medication we administer it and record the effects.”

“Well.... the effects of this are pretty crappy wouldn’t you say? I mean he’s only a kid, he should be out there making a life not sitting staring at a wall for hours, and that’s what he’s been doing. Frankly I’m surprised he’s as aware as he is. I have a lot of respect for the Professor but I don’t understand what he’s doing this time.”

“As I said Andrea, it is not for us to question his motives. Now, if you don’t mind, I have work to do.”

“What do you want me to do with him this afternoon?”

“Knock yourself out, he’s yours to do with as you will... just so long as you leave me in peace to get on with my work.”

“What work?”

“Just leave me alone Andrea.”

“What’s with you? You’re like a bear with a sore head. What’s the kid done to upset you so much?”

“What makes you think he’s done anything?”

She shrugged. “Just a hunch. I’ve worked with you enough times to know that you are usually less.... angry with the patients.”

“Look, it’s not him I’m angry with alright. Just get on with your job, babysit the kid, get him through the day so we can hand him over to the others tonight and he will be someone else’s problem.”

“Wow... he really has got under your skin. What did he do? What the hell did he do to deserve all this?”

“Nothing. He did nothing. Now please.... some peace would be good.”

“Whatever you say boss.”

“Andrea....”

“Yes?”

“It’s Daniel’s turn to do dinner tonight. In fact, it’s Daniel’s turn to do everything because he’s essentially done sod all.... give him a hand with that... should keep him busy for a couple of hours. Make it something nice and we can eat together when Shaun and Lily get here. I don’t know why but I think it would be.... appropriate.”

“Whatever you say boss.”

To be truthful... it was Andrea who made dinner. She gave Daniel tasks which he performed surprisingly well under the circumstances, but he kept drifting off, staring out of the window in a daze and she had to keep on him the whole time. He seemed to enjoy it though, especially when she allowed him to chop the onions which he did so skilfully she had no doubt that, at some time he had known his way around a kitchen very well.

Andrea found that she enjoyed herself immensely that afternoon. Daniel was pleasant company even though he was withdrawn and uncommunicative. He had a relaxed easy manner about him and a smile that drew her in to such an extent that by the end of the afternoon she realised that she was actively seeking to prompt it.

Once she had been so intent on watching him stare out of the window that she burned her hand on the dish she was in the process of taking out of the oven. With a cry she dropped the dish onto the work surface and put her hand to her mouth only to find that it was gently intercepted before it reached there. Daniel looked at the reddening skin and led her to the sink, where he turned on the cold tap and put her hand under the stream.

With a look of concentration on his face he looked around the kitchen then searched through the spice rack.

“Leave it there. I won’t be long.”

He disappeared only to return a few minutes later with a bottle of lavender oil which was kept in the bathroom as a therapy for patients and staff alike who were tense or having trouble sleeping, or just wanted a relaxing bath. Removing her hand from beneath the tap he dried it gently with a tea towel and then splashed it with the oil.

“It’s good. It won’t blister now.”

“Hey, that feels better, in fact that feels good. It takes the sting right out of it.”

“Lavender is the best for burns.”

“How do you know that?” He stared at her, his eyes wide and anxious.

“I don’t know.”

“It’s alright honey. No matter how you knew I am very glad you did. Thank you.” The smile was well worth the pain.

Copyright © 2010 Nephylim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Memories are creeping in one by one. Hopefully something or someone will jog it to the point of remembering who he really is and what's going on. Ben seems to be torn at this point.

Link to comment
On 08/13/2014 05:15 AM, joann414 said:
Memories are creeping in one by one. Hopefully something or someone will jog it to the point of remembering who he really is and what's going on. Ben seems to be torn at this point.
Oh, it definitely will eventually. Ben is definitely on the fence. He wants to keep his head down and get on with it and is jaded enough to be able to switch off from what happens to the residents. However, he is a good man at heart and what they're doing to Daniel is starting to eat at him
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..