Jump to content
    Nephylim
  • Author
  • 470 Words
  • 1,609 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Game - 25. Chapter 25

Annie had no problem convincing Simon to go to the hospital. He was excited, illuminated by the news.

“That’s the best news I have had in a long time Annie. I am glad you defied me and kept open.”

“Maybe in future you will trust me more.”

“Maybe I will, at that.”

“Did Adam say anything else, other than where he was?”

“Yes, he said the end is beginning and that we have to get him out of there as fast as we can.”

“No worries. Once we present ourselves at the door they have to give him up to us. It is the rules of the game. I would be very surprised if the leaders of the other side were not there with him. If the end game has begun they will know it too and will make sure they are close. Once begun the game plays out within days.... weeks at the most. They will be wanting to make sure that he is locked up tighter than ever.... they will be devastated when we turn up.”

He sounded delighted and it turned Annie’s stomach. “You still don’t get it do you? You don’t get that to me.... to Adam, this is not about the bloody game. We don’t care about it. The only reason I have been working so hard on the clues and messages is because I have hoped that one of them might lead me to Adam. Neither of us wanted to be drawn into this and the only thing we care about it getting out of here intact.”

“I appreciate that and, although you may not believe it, I do care about you. I do want you both to be alright. But what you don’t understand is that the game is a lot bigger and more important than you realise. Civilisations have risen and fallen on a turn of the game. Battles have been fought, governments brought to their knees in the playing of it. As much as I care about my team, you have to appreciate that in the shadow of all that... two lives are not....”

“Important?”

“Irreplaceable.”

“Adam’s is. Without him you can’t win.”

“But neither can they.”

“So to prevent them from winning you would sacrifice him?”

“Not if I can help it, because we have worked too hard to win, but if it is a choice between allowing the other side to win and sacrificing Adam.....” He shrugged.

“Why am I even helping you?”

“Because you know that I’m the best hope your boyfriend has.”

“Adam is not my boyfriend. He never was and he never will be... but he is my friend. He is my best friend and I will do whatever it takes to protect him, to help him.... to save him.”

“Then take me to him.”

Copyright © 2010 Nephylim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Angry 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It's almost like players in any sport. There's always those that want to win no matter the cost and then there's those that do it for the love of the game. Then it's those that have just fallen into the trap of playing regardless. They are forced into becoming a team, but their individuality never meshes into one person, just into the game.

Link to comment
On 08/13/2014 06:48 AM, joann414 said:
It's almost like players in any sport. There's always those that want to win no matter the cost and then there's those that do it for the love of the game. Then it's those that have just fallen into the trap of playing regardless. They are forced into becoming a team, but their individuality never meshes into one person, just into the game.
That's a very good analogy - or is it an analogy at all? A truism maybe. Everyone has their part, not everyone knows their part, or even that they're in the game, but the fact is - everyone's in the game
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..