Jump to content
    Nephylim
  • Author
  • 634 Words
  • 1,787 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Game - 19. Chapter 19

Shaun was unusually subdued when he went back downstairs. His mind was racing. He was stunned. By the transformation that had occurred, and even more by the way the entire conversation had left him feeling. Lily picked up on it straight away.

“What’s wrong? Is Daniel okay?”

“You could say that.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“That means that the Daniel I have just had a...er... very enlightening conversation with is not the one we have been taking care of for the past three weeks.”

“So he’s shaking the drugs then?”

“He’s shaking a lot of things.”

“Are you going to tell me what’s got so far under your skin or do I have to guess?”

“I bet you couldn’t guess.”

“So tell me.”

“Alright.. . it’s just.... it’s just a bit... a bit embarrassing.”

“Embarrassing? What are you on about?”

“It’s just.... just that.... he was... was kind of.... different.”

“Shaun... I know you... I know that look and I know that tone. We have been friends for a long time and I really, really hope that they don’t mean what I think they mean.” Shaun bowed his head and plucked randomly at his guitar. “Shaun?”

“Look.... I know... alright I know.... and I won’t.... I wouldn’t... but.... but... ah fuck. I’m only human Lily. I mean.... come on... you’d have to be dead from the waist down not to at least think about ...”

“Shaun... don’t... don’t even think about it. Daniel’s a patient. He’s ill. He’s vulnerable and, if this craziness is even half true... he is even more vulnerable than we thought. Just because he is clearer and more focussed does not mean that he’s in control of his thoughts or him emotions.”

“Oh, he was in control alright. He was very much in control.”

“Shaun... it might seem that way but....”

“Lily, I am not going to do anything unprofessional or unadvised. I have already told him to stop.”

“Stop what?”

“Flirting, that’s all... he was flirting with me. I told him it was unacceptable and he should stop but.... I mean... fuck... it shocked me how very difficult it was to do that. There was part of me that almost..... so very nearly..... I mean I have to admit... how could I not... I have had... thoughts. I mean who wouldn’t look at him and wonder what it would be like to kiss him?”

“Okay... I admit, it has crossed my mind. Like you said, I’m human, but nothing more than an idle day dream. I would never have done anything about it.”

“Neither did I! Nothing was further from my mind... not then but he... he... he wanted a smoke so I rolled him a cigarette....”

“You did what?”

“I know... I know... but... I don’t know, there was something.... Lily wait until you have spoken to him before you censure me. He is not the same person.... in so many ways. He is strong and sure and confident. We shared a cigarette and he blatantly flirted with me... but not because he was trying to feel secure, or because he was trying to gain control or feeling vulnerable... fuck that’s the last thing he was... it was because it was amusing him... he was playing with me. I have never experienced anything like it... never felt so....so....”

“Be careful Shaun. This is... dangerous. The whole thing is dangerous. If what Ben said is even near the truth then we are all skating on thin ice and tomorrow.....”

“Tomorrow we have to hand him over to the Professor.”

“And deal with what happens afterwards. You can’t let yourself get too close to him. Tomorrow he’ll... he’ll be.....”

“I know. The thing is Lily... the THING is... it’s too late. I already am too close.”

Copyright © 2010 Nephylim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Awwww, poor Shaun. Fallen for his patient and no going back. At least we know that he'll do everything in his power to help Daniel. Lily is onboard too so at least it's two against one against the Professor. Maybe Amber will fall in line. Here's hoping. :unsure2:

Link to comment
On 08/13/2014 05:54 AM, joann414 said:
Awwww, poor Shaun. Fallen for his patient and no going back. At least we know that he'll do everything in his power to help Daniel. Lily is onboard too so at least it's two against one against the Professor. Maybe Amber will fall in line. Here's hoping. :unsure2:
Oh....things will come together in the end, so to speak. You wouldn't hunt me down with a twelve bore if I killed him would you?
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..