Jump to content
    Nephylim
  • Author
  • 570 Words
  • 2,480 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Game - 32. Chapter 32

What they have all failed to realise... what every player has always failed to realise... what century after century end players have had to learn when they came into play.... right at the end.... is this... simply this... there is only one possible end move. There has only ever been one end move, one simple choice.

The gate is opened, can be opened in only one way.... by sacrifice. The choice that the end player has to make is.... which team are they prepared to give up their life for. In my case it is neither... but that’s okay because my plan has worked... perfectly.

In refusing to give me up to my own team, in sending me to my death... that team has broken one of the fundamental rules of the game... and in a game with very few rules the penalty for breaking them is severe... automatic disqualification. From the moment the Professor injected the drug into my body that team was no longer in the game.

Another fundamental rule of the game is that there must always be two teams... and only two teams.... and so, without them even knowing... without anyone knowing, I had gathered my own team, a team I am more than happy to give up my life for.... team Annie.

The light is painful to look at, painful to think of, painful to be in the presence of... but I am used to pain by now... and the one I am running from is a crushing, defiling, violating pain whereas the one I am heading into is clean and pure, the kind of pain that is almost pleasure. I am being drawn into it and as I get closer my body is expanding... no, not my body, I no longer have a body... it is simply my awareness, my consciousness, flowing outwards, like a stream of gold, drawn inexorably towards the light, mingling with it, becoming part of it.

I have no idea how long this process takes... could have been moments could have been eons... time has no meaning here. I am power, every atom pulsates with it. I have no body, no mind, but somehow I retain my individual awareness... somehow, even here, even where I am nothing more than pinpoints of light in a sparkling golden glare, I am still Adam.

“Who?” It was not a voice. It was a breeze blowing through wind chimes, the chimes being my scattered consciousness and I found it difficult to draw together enough to answer.

“Adam.”

“Why?”

“The game.”

“What?”

“The power of the gate.”

“Where?”

“My team.”

“When?”

“Now.”

And I was falling, particles of gold spinning and spinning, like dust motes caught in a beam of light. Tumbling over and over, gathering together, becoming a stream, a flow, a torrent, a form, a body. The body is surrounded by the light, burning, searing, renewing. The body is floating at the centre of the light although I can feel hands on it, the light flowing down into the bodies that are attached to them. I don’t think about that, I don’t need to.

And then.... and then.... and then the light faded and is gone. If I reach out with my mind I can touch it, I will always be able to touch it, we all will. Now I become aware of my body, I feel so heavy, so solid, so....

Copyright © 2010 Nephylim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..