Jump to content
    Nephylim
  • Author
  • 463 Words
  • 2,141 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Game - 24. Chapter 24

The door opens again and the hands which hold mine are snatched away. It is a clear, still, day and the sounds that float in through the window on the breeze are muted but carry in from far, far away. The cows in the field are away on the other side of the valley, the birds are flying high above, the cars on the road are drawing closer but it takes time... time... time.... Time slows to a painful crawl. I both hear and feel the beat of my heart thumping slow and steady, pumping sluggish blood around a body beaten and battered, tired beyond endurance, with a mind...well let’s not think of my mind just now... I am only just getting to know it myself... in fact I think that there are parts of it waking now that I have never known, or at least never accessed.

Time.... the end is drawing near with tiny steps, so slowly, so very slowly that no one except I... who am so slowed, can see how close it is. No one else.... no one who draws near, none of them know, none of them see... only I... only.... only...

“Thank you Lily, Shaun... you can leave now. Get yourselves a coffee or go for a walk in the gardens. We won’t be long, a few hours. I will send for you when we are done and you can take Daniel home.”

Home? No, that house is not my home. Daniel has no home. Daniel will not be leaving this place today.

“Why did you have to sedate him like this? What ‘tests’ are you going to do?”

“Shaun!”

“Lily, I would suggest you use the time to have to word with your friend. I have always been fond of you Shaun and, I think, we have always had an excellent working relationship. I hope that you have come to trust me and it would be a terrible thing if that working relationship were spoiled over the fact that you have stepped across a line. I think it might be prudent for me to take you off this case. I will make arrangements this afternoon. Take a few days off.”

“But...”

“Come on Shaun. Let’s get out of here.”

“But...”

I sense them leave and a part of me wants to call them back, to have them close to me... to feel his energy, so pure and calming all around me. But that is the part that is afraid, the part that doubts, the part that is locked up tight, far within. I am beginning to feel again. I can feel the Professor touching me.... my hair... my face....

“I know you are awake Daniel. Open your eyes.”

I sigh.... oh well... here goes.

Copyright © 2010 Nephylim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 08/13/2014 06:44 AM, joann414 said:
So, the Professor knows he's lucid. What's the next move on either's part. Where's Daniel's group?
Does Daniel have a group? Kind of, but not yet.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..