Jump to content
    Nephylim
  • Author
  • 996 Words
  • 2,186 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Game - 20. Chapter 20

When she first senses the touch Annie doesn’t recognise it for what it is. I suppose she has been watching ad waiting for so long, and I know that she is tired because I can feel it, and it is so familiar and comfortable that she just has no conscious realisation of what it is at all. I try a couple of times but I have no strength to keep the connection open alone and I feel it fading. And then, suddenly she is wide awake and grabbing for the contact desperately as though terrified of losing it again.

“Adam!” I smile, even as I wince and rub my temple.

“Alright. There’s no need to shout. You’ll give me a headache.”

“Are you alright? Are you hurt?”

“Define ‘alright’.”

“Don’t play with me babe. I’ve been too scared.”

“Sorry hun. You know if I could have I would have let you know I’m okay. Truth is.... I haven’t been.”

“What happened?”

“Not sure. I was home, to be honest feeling pretty freaked out about what happened, the message. Someone knocked the door and I went to answer it... and that’s the last thing I remember until... well give or take a few hours here and there it’s pretty much it until now.”

“Have they hurt you?”

“Yeah... some. But I’m okay.”

“Are you free?”

“No.”

“Can you get free?”

“Well.... I could but...”

“What do you mean ‘but’? Adam don’t do anything stupid.”

“Define ‘stupid’.”

“Adam... you’re up to something, I know you are. I know YOU. Please don’t do anything that puts you in danger.”

“I am in danger hun, whichever way you look at it. It’s that stupid game. I never wanted to be involved in the first place.... but now I’m in it I want to win it, especially now, after all this. And now I know how. It’s almost the end Annie, I can feel it, and I know what I have to do.”

“To hell with the game. I don’t give a damn about the game. All I care about it you.”

“I know. That’s why I’m doing this.... because there are people who care more about me than the game. Listen to me. I swear I know what I’m doing and that it will be alright in the end.”

“Alright, I trust you. What do you want me to do?”

“Nothing, not yet. If they find out where I am too soon they’ll spoil everything. I can’t let you find me before I make my move or it won’t work.”

“Why?”

“Because once Simon knows where I am and what they are doing to me they have to stop and they can’t stop, not until I am ready.”

“Adam, it sounds dangerous.”

“Yes, it does, but it’s not, not really, not as dangerous as doing nothing, not for me.”

“Okay, so what do I do? When do I act?”

“Tomorrow morning. You have to bring them here.” I send her the details of the hospital, as far as I know them. They are a bit hazy and she picks up some of the emotions attached and becomes more alarmed.

“You’re in hospital? What’s wrong with you?”

“Nothing. Don’t worry, it’s alright... it’s not that kind of hospital.”

“What do you mean? How many kinds of hospital are there?”

“It’s a mental hospital.”

“What!? That’s even worse. What are you doing there?”

“It’s a long story and not one I want to go into right now. I’m safe enough for now. Don’t worry.... and I’m okay. Just get everyone there at 10 in the morning.”

“I’ll try.”

“I’m depending on you Annie. I know that’s not fair, none of this is fair, and I would have given you more notice if I could have but this is the first time I have been able to make contact.”

“Why?”

“Best you don’t know hun. I.... er... haven’t been myself for a while.”

“Are you sure you’re alright?”

“I will be.”

“Okay, I trust you but.... just be careful. I know you, superstar... you are given to making dramatic gestures that have a tendency to go dramatically wrong.”

“They always work out in the end.”

“Yeah.... when I rescue you.”

“You do it so well... just.... please do it again tomorrow or....”

“Or what..?” she sounds alarmed. I must have let down my guards. I am getting exhausted now, and things are slipping.... she is picking up on my feelings, the chaos that I can’t quite cover up.

“Or I’ll never forgive you and will never let you forget.”

“Okay.” She doesn’t sound convinced. “Are you really alright? Are you hurt?”

“Um.... I’m... okay. I’ve been better but I’m okay. Tomorrow, when this is all over we can take some time to chill. I have some friends to introduce you to.”

“You’re not going to tell me the truth are you?”

“I am telling you the truth... just not all of it.”

“Oh that makes me feel sooo much better.”

“Just one nigh. Tomorrow it will all be over. I know what I have to do and I know it is going to be alright. You have to believe that.”

“I.. I’l try.”

“Annie.... remember something... when it seem as if it’s as bad as it can be... when it looks like it’s all over and it doesn’t seem as if there is any hope... that’s when it all changes, when it starts to get better.”

“What do you mean?”

“I can’t tell you... just remember. It’s going to be alright Annie. I swear it. Do you trust me?”

“You know I do. I’d trust you with my life.”

“Don’t. I’d probably lose it... or give it away to a good cause. I’m trusting you with mine but don’t... hold on to it.... too tight.”

“What do you mean?”

“You’ll see. Remember.”

“I’ll try.”

“See you tomorrow.”

“Adam....”

“Yeah?”

“I’ve missed you.”

“I’ve missed you too babe. Thanks for holding on.”

“Always.”

Copyright © 2010 Nephylim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Wow 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 08/13/2014 05:57 AM, joann414 said:
So, they're connected like twins. They can read each other's thoughts and feel their pain. :)
Kind of
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..