Jump to content
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

By Chance or Appointment - 21. Confounding

A sonnet for Veteran's and Armistice Day. Any errors are mine alone.

It seems as if a century of blood

spilled by a million million blameless sons,

and then a billion more laid in the mud,

have made no mark upon those mighty ones

who think of armies as their whimsied toys

with which to exercise dominion’s sport,

accounting nothing for the lives of boys

so innocent and soon to be cut short.

How stupid so-called great men seem to be,

who cannot time’s most simple lessons learn,

yet those of us born to humility

know well they’ve fanned the flames in which we burn.

Together, let us kinship contemplate,

confounding those who taught us how to hate.


Lest we forget the millions we have lost, and the millions more living under the shadows of the powerful. Remember them and ourselves, and work for peace.
Copyright © 2022 Parker Owens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Love 11
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Will this ever stop?  Not when people think of others as non-humans or lesser than....the us vs. them where we are always right and they are always wrong.  Love this poem and the hope it inspires.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
2 hours ago, pvtguy said:

Will this ever stop?  Not when people think of others as non-humans or lesser than....the us vs. them where we are always right and they are always wrong.  Love this poem and the hope it inspires.

When our leaders are allowed to dehumanize whole nations full of people, it puts us all in danger. At least, so it seems to me. Thanks a million for reading. 

  • Love 5
Link to comment
Just now, Headstall said:

The folly of men is a cycle, destined to be repeated. Excellent sonnet. 

How I wish the cycle had an end, and not an infinite loop. Thank you for your comment. 

  • Love 5
Link to comment

Even a war for a just reason is hard to stomach. I think if intelligent beings came to our planet and observed all these wars they left thinking we are way too primitive. A Good tribute

Edited by weinerdog
  • Love 3
Link to comment
5 hours ago, weinerdog said:

Even a war for a just reason is hard to stomach. I think if intelligent beings came to our planet and observed all these wars they left thinking we are way too primitive. A Good tribute

Thank you for your thoughts and for reading this poem. The thousands upon thousands of wasted and maimed lives cry out for an accounting from those who see armed force as a tool to get whatever it is they want. It’s up to us to call for that account. 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..