• Join For Free and Get Notified of New Chapters!

Are you enjoying a great story and want to get an alert or email when a new chapter is posted? Join now for free and follow your favorite stories and authors!  You can even choose to get daily or weekly digest emails instead of getting flooded with an email for each story you follow.

Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.

By Chance or Appointment - 1. May Morning

The very first poem in this collection was helped along its way into being by @AC Benus. I remain deeply in his debt for his unfailing help as a poet and friend. As is so often the case, you may find an error or problem. Any such thing is my own fault.

May Morning

i.

The sun is shining this morning;

Forty-three degrees at the time of my dawn-hour walk.

It’s a favorite time of year. The unmown lawn

is thick with bugle, forget-me-nots, and monkeyflower.

Lilacs, wild honeysuckle, dame’s rocket

and late daffodils are all in bloom.

I stopped to sniff them all, it seems,

like a honeybee investigating every plant.

And in the woods, a veery competed

in song with a pair of redstarts for my attention.

ii.

The world greens where the maples clothe the hillside

above the enigmatic whispered river

now quiet since its wild, full-throated springtide

made nature shiver.

In early twilight there are thrushes calling

each to each before the daylight rising,

every haunting note the more enthralling

with love disguising.

Those first rays to reach where the sun dancers

as they skim across the sparkled shallows

forward of the reticent mergansers

the morning hallows.

I'm grateful you took time to read this. Thank you. If you are moved to comment or add a thought, please know that I am delighted to read anything you might have to say.

Copyright © 2022 Parker Owens; All Rights Reserved.
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Thanks for taking me on your dawn walk, Parker. It was beautiful.

2 minutes ago, Headstall said:

Thanks for taking me on your dawn walk, Parker. It was beautiful.

And thank you for coming along. I'm glad you thought it was good.

Just as beautiful and refreshing now as when you sent it to me a few weeks ago. I'm glad you decided to post it, for its beauty is something readers will appreciate joyfully. And speaking of which, the equally evocative message you sent me this morning, detailing another morning walk, better makes it way into this collection as well :yes:

18 minutes ago, AC Benus said:

You were immensely kind to prod me about that first piece. There are mornings and moments that feel as if they were written in some great life volume for us to sense and experience. Perhaps that came through.

16 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

These are beautiful.

Thanks very much. I appreciate your taking time to read these.

Beautiful. How do you do it.I will make observation the name of this is May morning and we just started June.But that says more about me than anything.

2 hours ago, weinerdog said:

I wrote it a couple of weeks ago, then let it sit and simmer for a while. That’s a habit of mine in writing just about anything. Thanks so much for reading and for your comments!

A lovely morning walk.  Thank you for bringing us along :hug:

2 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

A lovely morning walk.  Thank you for bringing us along :hug:

You’re welcome! I’m glad you enjoyed the early stroll.

sorry i'm late. i knew i'd seen something from you in a brief visit.. i had time today to read ... these are are both lovely, you have a way of bringing nature to life in words. thank you for your efforts, Parker

1 hour ago, Mikiesboy said:

Thanks, tim. You often reminded us to observe, and these have tried to do just  that. I’m glad you joined me in the green woods and along the river.

It was  all familiar, yet different too. I'm glad I know another flower sniffer now. I enjoyed them very much. Thank you.

5 hours ago, Aditus said:

I am a confirmed flower sniffer. Today, the sweet locust trees were in bloom, and the bees had to compete with me, at least for a while. It makes me glad to know you enjoyed these.

View Guidelines

• Newsletter

You probably have a crazy and hectic schedule and find it hard to keep up with everything going on.  We get it, because we feel it too.  Signing up here is a great way to keep in touch and find something relaxing to read when you get a few moments to spare.

• Create New...

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..