Jump to content
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

By Chance or Appointment - 10. Midsummer Morning

To celebrate the longest days of the year.

Come walk with me

beneath the veil that shrouds the eastward hill

and blankets field and fir in shadows thick;

no stars to see

but swirling mists that hide the deer

and waking birds to tease the ear,

 

So if you will

our way through tall and dewy grasses pick

an upward sloping course our feet may steer

while all lies still

wrapped warm in domesticity

and dreamland’s restful reverie,

 

But breathing quick

we climb the ridge ere dawn’s rays may appear

while hand in hand we crest the summit’s lea

with just a tick

before the changing skyline will

the world below begin to thrill

 

And stir to cheer

the day of light stretched out so endlessly

beginning with the early fading chill

on this mid-year

with joy past all arithmetic

the snuffing of the candlestick.



Thank you for reading this. May your longest days be full of warmth and light.
Copyright © 2022 Parker Owens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 13
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wordsmith doesn't touch what you do with words in creating such beautiful imagery based on the intrinsic beauty of nature.  Thank you for sharing such beauty!

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, AC Benus said:

A beautiful poem. In conjures up images of the Sun Card from the Tarot deck in my head. This card traditionally features two boys on it.

Thank you for sharing this poem!

spacer.png

Thank you so much for reading this and for sharing your reactions. The tarot illustration is an image I hadn’t thought of, but it’s certainly very apt. I love it. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Backwoods Boy said:

Thanks for this beautiful mid-year celebration of the world around us :) 

Thank you for coming to the hilltop with me. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

Simply wonderful. Your love of the natural world shines brightly here.

I’m very happy you liked this. These long midsummer days are among my favorite times of year. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
26 minutes ago, pvtguy said:

Wordsmith doesn't touch what you do with words in creating such beautiful imagery based on the intrinsic beauty of nature.  Thank you for sharing such beauty!

Thank you for joining me on a predawn climb up the hill. Only at midsummer will early mist mix with the birdsong at first light, I’m very glad you liked it. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

A beautiful stroll to meet the dawn of the summer solstice. It was a very captivating walk from dream to awakening in the start of a new season.   

  • Love 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, raven1 said:

A beautiful stroll to meet the dawn of the summer solstice. It was a very captivating walk from dream to awakening in the start of a new season.   

Thank you for ascending the hill to watch the midsummer dawn with me. I’m glad you found it enjoyable to rise so early and watch the summer awaken. 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
18 minutes ago, Headstall said:

A wonderful climb, Parker. :) 

Thank you, Gary. We both enjoy a good climb in the woods. 

  • Love 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..