Jump to content
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

By Chance or Appointment - 15. The Carpenter

This is not quite a classic sonnet. Perhaps you will indulge me. My thanks go to @AC Benus for his helpful comments in finishing this poem.

The carpenter knows where the basswood grows

as the jay is aware of the berry,

while the monarch goes where the wild red rose

decks the meadow in finery merry,

and hungry black bears leave their crude affairs

in a quest for delectable sweetness

scented soft in airs to take unawares

chosen noses which know incompleteness.

But anywhere I, searching low and high,

seek that visage my spirit sustaining,

find all hopes awry while these smiles belie

the uncertainty in my heart reigning.

So quietly waiting, my fears adjust,

for your hunting abilities I trust.



Many thanks for reading this. If you have a strong stomach, you can listen to a recording of the poem posted here. https://gayauthors.org/profile/26911-parker-owens/
Any comments you may wish to leave are welcome.
Copyright © 2022 Parker Owens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 13
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

"and hungry black bears leave their crude affairs"

I never heard it put like that. We should all have your way with words

Thank you! I had fun putting these lines together. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Headstall said:

Love how this one progresses, Parker. I do not know your intent, and it may be entirely about a walk in nature, but for me it ties to desire and the hope that one will search you out, having the skills to perceive your need. 

I used to know that if I waited long enough...

Cheers!

Indeed. If I want to be found, it’s sometimes best just to wait patiently for someone who knows who he’s looking for. Thanks very much for your thoughts! 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
47 minutes ago, Dan South said:

Beautiful! The recording is an absolute delight!!

I’m glad you liked the recording. Thank you for trying it.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

The recording is as delightful as the poem itself, which was a real treat to come home to tonight.  Thanks once again for sharing your talent with words.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

no strong stomach is needed .. what a wonderful poem!   :)

Recordings never sound like my own voice to me, so it’s hard for me to judge if they’re okay.  Thank you very much for reading and listening! 

  • Love 5
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Backwoods Boy said:

The recording is as delightful as the poem itself, which was a real treat to come home to tonight.  Thanks once again for sharing your talent with words.

It’s fun knowing this unconventional sonnet was a treat. The treat for me is that the recording was okay to your ear. Thank you very much for reading and commenting. 

  • Love 4
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, raven1 said:

A beautiful poem both spoken and written. Thanks, Parker!

You’re most welcome. Thanks for reading and listening.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
17 hours ago, Parker Owens said:

Recordings never sound like my own voice to me, so it’s hard for me to judge if they’re okay.  Thank you very much for reading and listening! 

“Internal Sound” is the concept of speech pathology you’re describing. Without the resonance of our skull as we speak our voice sounds different.

You need to know that you have a beautiful voice. Promise. Keep recording when so moved. The Author’s words, the Poet’s words, in his own voice is incredibly powerful. Thanks again!

  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..