Jump to content
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

By Chance or Appointment - 19. Definitions

Another sonnet. As is always the case, all the errors you find here are mine.

Ten thousand thousand words might we deploy

in service to description of a man

that colors him as subtle, sharp or coy

to picture him as well as artists can

which lets us see such light as there may be

at play upon a face or outward frame

acknowledging some confidence or glee

or thoughtful contemplation of the same.

But plentiful though dictionaries prove,

they have but little power to express

what makes the inner soul and spirit move

nor map sweet secret thoughts in faithfulness.

All detailed definitions are in vain

when we our truest natures would obtain.


Thank you for taking time to read this sonnet. If you want to hear an audio version, you can follow this link. https://gayauthors.org/profile/26911-parker-owens/ Your comments and reactions are always welcome.
Copyright © 2022 Parker Owens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 13
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

4 hours ago, Headstall said:

As a former artist, I appreciate how you tie writing to painting or another form of art. I have always seen the similarity of deft strokes by either pen or brush. And like a work of art that hangs on a wall, a portrait crafted by pen can only see so much into a soul. Writing needs a reader to complete the work, just as paintings need a viewer. I think, done right, we can get pretty close, though, and what is left is beautiful mystery. Lovely sonnet, expressing how deeply we can love... or desire. 

You say it so well. The painting needs a viewer, and the writing needs a reader. Our arts still leave us on one shore, searching for ways across to the other, where full understanding lies. Thank you very much for your thoughts. 

  • Love 5
Link to comment
4 hours ago, pvtguy said:

As with all true mystery of existence, words point a way, but are not the end or definition in themselves.  Words are by nature limited - but can point to that which is not limited.  That said, you have used the power of your words to lead us into the sublime.  Well done!

Thank you very much for your response. Yes, the written word, as perfected as it might be, is yet limited in its power to get at the essence - and this must be all the more true as one writes about another complex human being. 

  • Love 5
Link to comment

A picture may be worth a thousand words, but you have painted a thought-provoking one with far fewer than that.  Thanks for, once again, sharing your poetic skills and insights.

Edited by Backwoods Boy
  • Love 5
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Backwoods Boy said:

A picture may be worth a thousand words, but you have painted a thought-provoking one with far fewer than that.  Thanks for, once again, sharing your poetic skills and insights.

Thank you very much for your kind comments. Words have their limits as we try to fully understand and describe  our fellow human beings. 

  • Love 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..