Jump to content
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

By Chance or Appointment - 12. Explorers

Another sonnet, for those who like them. As is ever the case, any errors you find will be of my own making.

Now come my love, let us as two explore

a territory left unsung, unmapped, unknown,

where wait such wonders, numbered by the score,

that careful reason might be overthrown.

Together, a delightful path we’ll tread,

through ridges, hills and sunlit valleys stray,

where climbs the rarest rose to bloom in red

atop a monument along our way.

Yet even as its mysteries we plumb,

it's clear we’re not the first to travel there,

For others left a mark or print or crumb

to show that they delights like ours would share.

It hardly matters we are not the first

to tarry as a pair to slake our thirst.



Thank you for taking the time to read this summer sonnet. I appreciate any comments or reflections you may have to share.
Copyright © 2022 Parker Owens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 13
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, Backwoods Boy said:

One thought that comes to mind is the saying that one can never "go home" again.  Another is a personal experience "discovering" a cliff-dwelling high in the wall of a remote canyon.  There is a time element to be added to "place" or "relationship" that makes it ever different.  You are the first to experience it now, and "now" is not the same as 100 years ago or even yesterday.

I haven't read many sonnets, but I love this one, and it gives me the urge to try out the form :) 

I urge you to try tackling a sonnet. I know there is some excellent supporting material on sonnet writing elsewhere on GA. I sometimes wonder how my experience of a place or relationship  in the present moment might compare with someone’s in another time. As you say, they will be two different things. Many thanks for reading, and for your reactions. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
3 hours ago, pvtguy said:

That journey is not only in nature, but in traveling through life.  While others have walked/will walk paths similar to the one we tread, the influence we share on our journey and the challenges and joys we experience are our own.  Beautiful writing as always!

It’s interesting that two people can travel the same road, yet see it differently. I think that’s why it’s fun to journey together with another either literally or metaphorically. It lets us share that experience together, even as we color it in our own ways. Thanks very much for reading! 

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment

The sonnet was lovely.  It was like a memory of hiking with my lover through mountain meadows and forests. We knew we were walking trails taken before, but there were times we would forget that as we lookout on wonderful vistas.  Sometimes, we knew there was a change that altered the vistas and terrain.  These times we would wonder if we saw something new that no one had experienced before standing in the same spot.  This poem captures those memories.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
11 hours ago, raven1 said:

The sonnet was lovely.  It was like a memory of hiking with my lover through mountain meadows and forests. We knew we were walking trails taken before, but there were times we would forget that as we lookout on wonderful vistas.  Sometimes, we knew there was a change that altered the vistas and terrain.  These times we would wonder if we saw something new that no one had experienced before standing in the same spot.  This poem captures those memories.

I’m very glad this poem stirred good memories of shared hikes and journeys. Each person on those paths today may wonder as you did, and know that their experience is as new to them as yours was to you. Thanks for reading this and for your thoughts. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment

A beautiful sonnet, Parker. I see two meanings with this one, one involving sharing a journey through nature, and one involving the love we can share with another. :) 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Headstall said:

A beautiful sonnet, Parker. I see two meanings with this one, one involving sharing a journey through nature, and one involving the love we can share with another. :) 

Thank you very much for your kind and perceptive comments. You’ve read this sonnet indeed as I wrote it. You’re very good to read and leave your thoughts. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..