Jump to content
    skinnydragon
  • Author
  • 3,284 Words
  • 4,265 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Toph's Empty Year - 17. Late April

Deep turquoise. An interesting attribute when it bespeaks of the eyes. One would usually describe them as blue. At any reasonable distance they do appear to be blue. However, the color of a person’s eyes is never a plain monotone. Light reflections, ambient hues, or even one’s mood can infuse subtle complexities to even the simplest of their tones.

Deep turquoise adds the alternative color, green, to this variegated amalgam of tint and personality. Over our two-week vacation, I was afforded the opportunity to study my Gary’s eyes in different surroundings and under contrasting temperaments. It would be presumptuous to say I could determine his mood merely by noting their shade, but I was beginning to read him much better using this very indicator.

Anders drove us home from the airport on the late Wednesday afternoon we arrived. We were greeted by one of Joanne’s lovely meals and by Naomi’s comforting presence. Neither of us revealed the details of our vacation, beyond Gary saying it was relaxing. I mentioned so reinvigorating was it, that I would open the shop the next morning and told Naomi to take the entire day for herself. I had a large debt of gratitude to repay.

After dinner, surrounded by our friends in the living room, we were able to come down from our vacation highs and up from the post-vacation lows. It was our reentry into normality. When everyone had left, we each began our unpacking. I drifted over to Gary’s room to ask if he wanted me to add his laundry to mine, since I would be visiting the basement machines early the next morning. Gary couldn’t escape from the habit of having his clothes cleaned professionally, and had already made arrangements for the delivery person to pick his up the next day. I chuckled to myself that I’d know we had become boyfriends when this little wall of his crumbled too. Finally, crawling into bed, my mind tried to recapture the warm feelings of our last two weeks. But I got up.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

“I’m having trouble being comfortable in bed without your arms around me.”

He smiled, stepping back to let me in. All my colors aligned within his warm embrace. He whispered into my ear.

“I was, too.”

I did wake up early. Those before-sunrise mornings in Texas must have reset my internal clock. I was pleased though, because it allowed me to finish my laundry before heading out to open Naomi’s store.

My rest and refocusing from our vacation created an eagerness to continue sketching and painting. But unlike the frazzle I had worked myself into before Texas, I now had a clear set of goals which were all easily achievable. I was determined to take breaks of my own volition, rather than always relying on Gary to sense when I needed them.

I was the one who insisted on resuming the gym and tennis regimen, to help keep me on an even keel. I was the one who made reservations and took us out for dinner Saturday night. It wasn’t to a fancy place, just a German restaurant Betty had recommended when I asked her during lunch that day. It turned out Betty had chosen a wonderful little local tavern for us. I could tell Gary was pleased by a slight shift in his eye color. We shared an appetizer of potato pancakes. Gary ordered their Sauerbraten and I was about to order Jägerschnitzel, but when my eyes saw fresh, homemade Bratwurst on the bottom of the menu, it was all over for me. The Bratwurst came with hot German potato salad too. I was in heaven. Neither of us had the self-control to leave room for dessert, and so we saved the Black Forest cake for our next visit.

I was so content by Sunday that those sketches, which had been bedeviling me before Texas, easily came to life on canvass. In the breaks, I was able to secretly sneak in a few sketches of Gary. I had this little gremlin in my head who wanted me to make a new portrait of Gary. I had barely known him when I made the previous one, the one he has in his office. This time I was toying with something dramatically different. I only had a few flashes of ideas, so it wasn’t completely formulated yet. Because of that, I wanted several sketches of him in many different moods. I was certain my ideas would all come together in the end.

The following week saw a return to my normal schedule, but without the stress. I was able to finish Abigail’s list for locations around town. I was even able to begin creating a few of those in oil. I could see that my New Glory series of paintings would be finished by the end of the month, and so started thinking of additional ideas for the Abington portfolio.

Also, during the week, Charles’ friendly texts continued every third or fourth day. I began to realize I had missed out on discovering this older brother when I was in Euphoria. I even started to wonder how much the perceived hostility of the bad actors had poisoned my mind against some very nice people. It was a thought worth considering. Perhaps, in my young teens, I had no capacity for admiring the pretty flowers blooming in the vipers’ nest.

That Saturday was the twentieth. While I was in town, finishing up my sketches after lunch, I found myself near Oscar’s house. I had missed the Talon meeting this month because of the trip, and I missed Oscar. I’ve never exactly understood what the attraction was which makes me seek him out. At least he didn’t seem to be annoyed by me. Quite the contrary, he seemed to enjoy my visits.

Sure enough, he greeted me with a broad smile and insisted I stay for tea. We were on his beautiful patio, catching up, when I mentioned the encounter Gary and I had with the Texas boys. I went into in some detail. Oscar asked many interesting questions. When I told him I had a notebook full of snippets of their conversations, he became ebullient.

“Toph, do you realize what you have in your possession?”

“Lots of half-sentences and strange words.”

“Oh, my blest young man! You have innocently collected invaluable source material. An author could do months of research and still not have the golden eggs you’ve collected. What are you going to do with it?”

“I wasn’t going to do anything with it, but I did plan to make a painting of the boys. I created a great many sketches of them.”

“Write your story first! Or at least have the idea of the story firmly in mind before you paint. I’m certain the added insight will strengthen the painting. You’ve done it before, Toph! Look how your story of Ian led to the beautiful portrait you made of him and his lover.”

“His fiancé, but I’ll certainly try, Oscar. Thanks for giving me some guidance. You always seem to know exactly what I need. How do you manage to do that?”

“I find it easy to suggest things to you because you always know what I’m trying to say. For an old man, it’s enjoyable watching you expand and learn.”

At that moment, sitting on this patio, I felt a balance – actually, two. First, there was a cosmic balance where my creativity was unleashed. I could feel it as easily as I could see my hands. This place was precious to my muse. I truly wished I could live here. Second, there was a balance of color. I’m not sure how to describe it or even understand it. The color of the stone on the back of the house, the color and texture of the patio limestone, the color and size of the trees surrounding this altar where I was sitting, all these hues reflected onto this spot as precisely at the lenses of a telescope would focus the light of a distant galaxy.

I needed to be here.

“Well, ‘old man,’ I want to ask a favor of you.”

“Certainly. What do you need?”

“I’m getting near ready for a portrait of my boyfr – um, roommate. My vision of this is very different from anything I’ve done before. Could I impose upon you to let me use a part of this patio, say, way over there by the fountain, to paint the portrait? For some reason, I feel exceptionally inspired here. I’ll probably have it finished in a couple of weeks.”

“Of course you may. I’d be honored. When will you begin?”

“I don’t think I’ll be ready until next week. It won’t be until next Saturday. I’ll only need a small area inside the back room to place it when I’m not here. And thank you so much. I’ll try not to be a bother.”

“Don’t think anything of it. I enjoy having you around.”

I closed my eyes for a few moments and could see, in a blaze of turquoise, the finished portrait. Or I imagined what I hoped it would feel like.

Later, for my Saturday break, Gary chose to drive us down to the riverfront. We walked along, following the now-forgotten footprints Niles and Toph left in, what seemed, the distant past. I steered us to the same scenic-view platform on which Niles placed his hand over mine only two months ago. Gary stood close to me, wreathing his arm around my waist.

“This is such a beautiful spot, Toph. I love how the river reflects the colors of the evening sky.”

“The last time I was here, that same water appeared somehow unsettling, but not tonight, not anymore. It is as you described – beautiful and peaceful.” I turned to study him. He, whose azure eyes now eclipsed the radiance of the river. I couldn’t resist the quick kiss I gave him. After slowly walking together for another half-hour, we came upon the crab shack. He looked at me. I nodded and we entered. Tonight, without realizing it, Gary successfully supplanted all my previous memories of this riverfront.

Although we had slept together every night, that Saturday was the first time we made love since we returned. Considering our voracious sexual appetite in Texas, this may have seemed puritan. But all we needed this week was the warm and comfortable embrace of each other’s arms. The nights found us falling asleep pretty quickly, and I was always up and out before Gary awoke, not to mention the fact Anders was often around. I thought it was acceptable, though. After all, we weren’t boyfriends yet – right?

None of that mattered when we returned home to an empty apartment. That night Gary and I had a much more athletic lovemaking than we ever had. So it was another first – then second. To my utter delight, my azure-eyed dreamer became a green-eyed puma. It was a good thing the next day was a Sunday, because we didn’t drift off until after three that morning, and so seized the luxury of sleeping in.

I did paint a bit on Sunday, and then helped Joanne prepare a prime rib roast for us. I was thrilled to see her putting my secret, extra stipend to good use. It was a fitting kickoff to the last full week of April. It was a very satisfying week for me too.

I could tell the New Glory part of my portfolio would be finished by the following weekend. Contacting Luke with the news, I was startled to discover he would begin my exhibit on the first day of May. The last two days of April were a Monday and Tuesday, so I cleared all my time for working with Luke to set it up and also to determine a price for each painting. The pricing was his idea, although I couldn’t imagine anyone purchasing one of these. Of course, if one were actually sold, it couldn’t be claimed for about a month, as I needed them all for my attempt to get into Abington.

On Tuesday, an invitation arrived for Big Joe’s wedding. It was addressed to Toph and Gary. That made me chuckle. I showed it to Gary when he got home, before we left for tennis.

I smiled at him as he read it, and then I made a little joke.

“It seems we have been transformed into an official couple.”

“Move in.”

“What?”

“We sleep together every night. Why not simply move into my room. It’s certainly large enough. That will allow you to expand the studio in your room. We’ll push your bed to the back corner. We could even use it as a guest room in case your mother comes to visit.”

I tried very hard to give him a scary look, but I couldn’t keep a straight face because he was giggling too hard.

“I think you’re right, except for the mother detail.”

And so, to the amusement of Anders and Joanne, most of my clothes now live in Gary’s room, along with me. The next night, I was in ‘our’ room changing for the gym when Gary arrived from work. He walked in.

“Honey, I’m home!”

That earned him a pillow in the face. The pillow was quickly followed by my lips and a hungry kiss. When I opened my eyes, a new look appeared on his face, very briefly. Quickly closing my eyes again, I tried to memorize that expression. I wasn’t quite sure how to categorize it, let alone name it, but I simply had to incorporate it in his new portrait.

Over the next few days, I was able to sneak in a little time, here and there, to outline a story for our Texas boys. I tried to envision where this strange relationship would go in the next few years, when they finally arrived at high school. As Oscar had predicted, I almost immediately began sketching the layout for a painting. I realized, with the New Glory theme completed, this could easily be finished and added to the Abington portfolio. But it needed to be different from anything I had ever done. It needed to be huge.

Friday, at work, I stretched and prepared a five-by-eight foot canvass and brought it home to my enlarged studio. After our workout at the gym, I eagerly roughed-in our Texas boys. I actually had to walk away from it, so impatient was I to begin. However, I realized this was a project for May. Instead, I moved to my other easel and put the finishing touches on the final painting of the New Glory series. After lifting the brush from its terminal touch, I let out an uncharacteristic victory shout. That brought Gary into the room.

“New Glory is finished!”

“Let’s celebrate with dinner. Which do you prefer, Saturday or Sunday?”

“How about Sunday? My only plan for Monday is to meet Luke at the gallery to help prepare the exhibit.”

Regardless, the two of us celebrated on Friday night, in our room – alone.

The following morning, Saturday, found me in Naomi’s preparing my canvass for Gary’s portrait. After an early lunch at Happy’s, I was at Oscar’s door with my supplies. As I was setting up on his patio, I described my thoughts for the Texas boys’ story to him. Oscar expressed a little concern at the sheer length and complexity of it, but encouraged me to proceed with my concept, offering a few constructive tips.

It was a good thing I didn’t choose Saturday for our dinner because I worked on Gary until the light began to fail. Oscar appeared a few times with refreshments. I had determined to begin with shades of turquoise, to bring attention to his eyes. By now, I had seen Gary in enough light and moods to know the hues I wanted to blend, creating the abstract strokes which began his portrait. Slowly, the beautiful face of the man I’ve come to love took shape under my adoring touch.

When I ultimately had to surrender to the weakening sunlight and store the portrait inside, Oscar met me, placing his arm over my shoulder.

“Toph, my dear boy, I’ve never before observed a person come to life quite like that. Even though it is very incomplete, I can tell you love him very much. He is a lucky man.”

“No, Oscar, I am the lucky one. He is always there for me, encouraging me, supporting me and loving me. I don’t always agree with his advice, but it’s never bad and often turns out to be correct.”

“Well, don’t sell yourself short, my boy. If that man has such good judgment, don’t forget it reflects upon you as well. He chose you.”

His comment made me wonder about Gary’s previous chosen ones. Did I want to know? Did I need to know?

Sunday was restful. It only took a short while to complete the catalogue of what I had done so far. I walked by the large Texas boys’ canvass several times, but was able to resist their siren song. Later, as the time approached for our celebration dinner, Gary informed me we would be taking a taxi.

“I thought we would celebrate at Belsorriso’s, since we both enjoyed it so much. This time I think we should enjoy one of his wines with the meal. That’s why we’ll take a cab.”

Mr. Belsorriso greeted us as we entered and also recognized us. I believe the evening was more enchanting than the first time we were here. This time, I chose the lamb. A rack of lamb, marinated with Sicilian oranges, stunningly presented, was placed before me. I looked at Gary, who was smiling at me.

“What?”

“The look you gave that dish, as he put it in front of you, made me a little jealous, I think.”

“I wonder if the chef would give me his number.”

“Don’t even go there.”

Our little exchange was interrupted by the arrival of Gary’s meal, Mussels Marinara. A scrumptious mountain of bucatini, coated with a soft marinara sauce, surrounded by about forty opened mussels, served on a huge oval plate.

I know very little about wine, so Gary chose a Brunello di Montalcino he was surprised to find on Mr. Belsorriso’s wine table.

“Why were you surprised to find it?”

“It wasn’t so much finding the brunello, but finding Stella’s brunello.”

“Stella?”

“Stella di Campalto is quite famous for her brunello, but she doesn’t make much of it. To find it here, in a restaurant, is almost unbelievable.”

When I discovered how much it cost, I made sure to savor every sip. Gary explained that not being a ‘factory wine,’ it had a much lower alcohol content. And so, as the evening progressed, surrounded by the ambience of the restaurant, delighting in the delicate food and being swept up into the warm colors created by the violin playing, I drank away – but did end up with a light buzz, despite the alcohol content. I figured tonight wasn’t the time to ask Gary what a factory wine was.

Thinking back, I believed it was in this very place that ‘love’ and ‘Gary’ first shared the same thought in my mind. The notion occurred to me that if Gary and I ever do become something, this will always be ‘our’ restaurant. But then, as the evening progressed and the crystal-clear crimson of the wine reflected in the soft turquoise of his eyes, I realized this would always be our restaurant. It was now clear.

Certainty.

hr />Check out the Toph discussion forum for a link to an interesting site about Stella di Campalto and her brunello.
Copyright © 2016 skinnydragon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 37
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Nice chapter, and progress with Gary and Toph and the portfolio. I still can't get over how very unique, singular and consistent you are with Toph's voice in this story, because his manner of thought feels somewhat idiomatic. Well done!

Link to comment

Liked it skinny. I'm rather liking Toph and Gary, or shall we say, TopGar .. mmm no, we won't!
Seriously, if we must be, Toph is becoming more confident in himself, and this 'couple' business is a big step. It feels right, I just hope it is.
As usual, nicely done.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Toph put himself, Gary and the L word all together at once...I am liking this more and more, SD. Certainty. Oh, yes. Clearly, Toph is beginning to find his certainty, his center, in Gary. Is Gary beginning to feel the same way, or is he just being the good, gentle, generous guy he appears to be?

Link to comment

Toph appears to be just as busy and productive as he was before the Texas break, but without the undertow of stress threatening to overpower and incapacitate him. He opens up a little more in each chapter, revealing previously hidden depths of character, as well as being more aware of people and situations that surround him. And Skinny's prose has kept in sync: to my mind, the recent chapters include descriptions that are warmer, deeper and, yes, more colourful than the earlier episodes. I suspect that this is deliberate.

 

Skinny is always so very economical yet effective in his writing. Oscar's patio is referred to as an altar. What other word could convey all that Toph feels in the presence of Oscar, and in that magical place that always inspires him? Wonderful. A delightful chapter, Skinny - thank you for writing and sharing.

Link to comment

I for once don't have a ton to say about a chapter. There wasn't a ton going on that would be considered "new" plot wise. Mostly it was Toph being reinvigorated after all the pre-vacation stress. He's finding new inspiration and evolving more, leading to keep balance and not get consumed by any one thing. What's cool is, as his mentors have been trying to show him, he's learning to plan ahead. He's got several projects in various stages of development,so he isn't just flitting from one painting to the next.

 

I again enjoyed the romance aspects, but is it all a setup for a big fall? Toph and Gary do seem to fit together well, and the descriptions of Gary's facial expressions seemed to indicate that he's caring deeply for Toph. Or perhaps I'm reading that wrong. But I just can't help but think there's something in the background going on. Of course Gary mentions Toph's mother. He's just kidding, right?

Link to comment

I like this one a lot, as it further develops the love between Toph and Gary. As in Toph's room, so too in his mind; the clutter has been cleared away and space made for growth and creativity. Finding a perfect place to paint Gary's portrait is very much a part of how he feels toward him. Oscar's depth and insight mirror the colors Toph sees for his models, and will surely enhance both his life and his emotional stability.
I'm eager not only to hear the story created for the Texas boys, but to 'see' the picture he creates to go with it. Toph seems to sense very deep things in his sitters, and brings positive things out in creating the works. It would be great if the two boys could find out what he's done to/for them in real life--I hoope they will contact him and he can share photos or something with them.
New Glory sounds like a great little town, and it has preserved its charm as the surroundings grew, while my own little town has become sordid and unnurturing. You couldn't leave your doors unlocked there now like you could when I was growing up there.

Link to comment
On 06/26/2016 02:43 PM, Lux Apollo said:

Nice chapter, and progress with Gary and Toph and the portfolio. I still can't get over how very unique, singular and consistent you are with Toph's voice in this story, because his manner of thought feels somewhat idiomatic. Well done!

Thank you lux!

 

And thanks for the kind words. Toph, idiomatic? :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/26/2016 02:56 PM, Timothy M. said:

Sweet, soft and loving with only one sour mother note. Originating with Gary of course. :rolleyes:

Thanks Tim!

 

Or maybe Gary trying to reveal Toph's Achilles' heel to him through humor?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/26/2016 02:57 PM, Mikiesboy said:

Liked it skinny. I'm rather liking Toph and Gary, or shall we say, TopGar .. mmm no, we won't!

Seriously, if we must be, Toph is becoming more confident in himself, and this 'couple' business is a big step. It feels right, I just hope it is.

As usual, nicely done.

Thanks tim!

 

Maybe 'ToGa'? Nah, you're right.

 

The couple business is a big deal, given the outcome of Toph's only other coupling.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/27/2016 01:34 AM, Parker Owens said:

Toph put himself, Gary and the L word all together at once...I am liking this more and more, SD. Certainty. Oh, yes. Clearly, Toph is beginning to find his certainty, his center, in Gary. Is Gary beginning to feel the same way, or is he just being the good, gentle, generous guy he appears to be?

Thank you Parker!

 

Yes, this was Toph's coming to terms, part 1. You are insightful in your final question. And that must be answered in Toph's coming to terms, Part 2. Which, of course, in SkinnyLand does not necessarily mean the next chapter. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/27/2016 08:08 AM, jess30519 said:

Toph appears to be just as busy and productive as he was before the Texas break, but without the undertow of stress threatening to overpower and incapacitate him. He opens up a little more in each chapter, revealing previously hidden depths of character, as well as being more aware of people and situations that surround him. And Skinny's prose has kept in sync: to my mind, the recent chapters include descriptions that are warmer, deeper and, yes, more colourful than the earlier episodes. I suspect that this is deliberate.

 

Skinny is always so very economical yet effective in his writing. Oscar's patio is referred to as an altar. What other word could convey all that Toph feels in the presence of Oscar, and in that magical place that always inspires him? Wonderful. A delightful chapter, Skinny - thank you for writing and sharing.

Thank you jess!

 

And thank you for you kind words. Skinny, deliberate? :o

 

Toph is certainly changing. Sometimes it is very subtle and for some readers, agonizingly slow. But Toph is who he is and we can't change it, no matter how much we disparage him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/27/2016 10:44 PM, spikey582 said:

I for once don't have a ton to say about a chapter. There wasn't a ton going on that would be considered "new" plot wise. Mostly it was Toph being reinvigorated after all the pre-vacation stress. He's finding new inspiration and evolving more, leading to keep balance and not get consumed by any one thing. What's cool is, as his mentors have been trying to show him, he's learning to plan ahead. He's got several projects in various stages of development,so he isn't just flitting from one painting to the next.

 

I again enjoyed the romance aspects, but is it all a setup for a big fall? Toph and Gary do seem to fit together well, and the descriptions of Gary's facial expressions seemed to indicate that he's caring deeply for Toph. Or perhaps I'm reading that wrong. But I just can't help but think there's something in the background going on. Of course Gary mentions Toph's mother. He's just kidding, right?

Thanks spikey!

 

You're right, the 'planning' aspect is refreshing in Toph. That's a sign of maturity. The panic of the pre-vacation was certainly a sign of immaturity.

 

Toph is clearly in an accelerating fall into love and, as you noted, Gary appears to be too. It isn't all there yet though and, believe it or not, Toph seems to know that as well. His questioning whether to ask Gary about previous 'chosen' ones betrays that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/28/2016 08:43 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

I like this one a lot, as it further develops the love between Toph and Gary. As in Toph's room, so too in his mind; the clutter has been cleared away and space made for growth and creativity. Finding a perfect place to paint Gary's portrait is very much a part of how he feels toward him. Oscar's depth and insight mirror the colors Toph sees for his models, and will surely enhance both his life and his emotional stability.

I'm eager not only to hear the story created for the Texas boys, but to 'see' the picture he creates to go with it. Toph seems to sense very deep things in his sitters, and brings positive things out in creating the works. It would be great if the two boys could find out what he's done to/for them in real life--I hoope they will contact him and he can share photos or something with them.

New Glory sounds like a great little town, and it has preserved its charm as the surroundings grew, while my own little town has become sordid and unnurturing. You couldn't leave your doors unlocked there now like you could when I was growing up there.

Thank you CG!

 

I liked your comparison of the cleared room and Toph's cleared mind.

 

The Texas boy's picture will soon be described. As far as their story, you'll need to wait for the final chapter--I think--said the dragon, coyly.

 

New Glory escaped the ravages that have befallen many small towns, your hometown too, it seems. I think it's even worse when a big city spreads into an established town, which then becomes a bedroom community. Once the only way to travel is by car, all local businesses dry up and the evils of Walmart like institutions ravage the peace, independence and security of those once proud towns. End of rant.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

There's something interesting about Toph (yes, I know. I just said a cotton-pickin-mouthful :yes: )

 

He seems to have this cyclic series of affirmations within himself followed by some unseen period where that discovery is suppressed or forgotten, and winds up affirming his stance once more. Perhaps we have seen it in the way he thinks the relationship ended with Steve – with the boy 'dumping him' instead of the far-more-vague way it actually drifted off because Toph never bothered to confront him on who the blond kissing Steve on the dance floor was. With how the 'Steve thing' ended, I believe we see this pattern of reinforcement cycle around until it seems like concrete fact to Toph.

 

Another way we see it is how he regards his own feelings for Gary – whom I note with interest he does not think of as the General anymore. Toph this time appears to approach the notion that he loves Gary with trepidation, but he keeps 'discovering' this love, and I can only hope with each occurrence, it's strengthening for him.

 

On the other hand, I love Gary's arms. I want our hero to be safe in them. Brilliant and lovely chapter. Thanks once again for activating me brain cells!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 06/30/2016 09:54 AM, AC Benus said:

There's something interesting about Toph (yes, I know. I just said a cotton-pickin-mouthful :yes: )

 

He seems to have this cyclic series of affirmations within himself followed by some unseen period where that discovery is suppressed or forgotten, and winds up affirming his stance once more. Perhaps we have seen it in the way he thinks the relationship ended with Steve – with the boy 'dumping him' instead of the far-more-vague way it actually drifted off because Toph never bothered to confront him on who the blond kissing Steve on the dance floor was. With how the 'Steve thing' ended, I believe we see this pattern of reinforcement cycle around until it seems like concrete fact to Toph.

 

Another way we see it is how he regards his own feelings for Gary – whom I note with interest he does not think of as the General anymore. Toph this time appears to approach the notion that he loves Gary with trepidation, but he keeps 'discovering' this love, and I can only hope with each occurrence, it's strengthening for him.

 

On the other hand, I love Gary's arms. I want our hero to be safe in them. Brilliant and lovely chapter. Thanks once again for activating me brain cells!

Thanks AC!

 

That's an interesting observation!

Maybe Toph is slow? He needs these cycles of affirmations, like waves washing up on the beach before he notices there is a shore?

 

But he had a Euphoric education! ;)

 

However, he does seem to see his love for Gary as somehow not yet proven. Maybe he needs to ask Gary about those other 'chosen' ones first? Resolve the mother issue first? Get Gary to commit to him more fully first?

 

There is some interesting baggage standing next to the General on the platform, waiting for the Toph love-express to arrive!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I was just reading through the comments when I came to Tim's TopGar. lol What about Garpher? or Tophy? Yeah, no. Oh yeah, I just realized he goes by Toph and not Topher. So never mind with the Garpher -- that would never work! :P

 

Ok, then. lol

 

I do agree with all your reviewers; Toph is really growing up. He even said the L word in the same sentence as Gary (only in his mind of course)! That's progress! :)

 

I absolutely love how Toph can 'see' all these different colors and hues in Gary's eyes, and then recreate them in a portrait. I really can't wait to "see" Gary's final portrait, as well as the Texas boys' portrait. Oscar has much insight, and he's a good person who can guide Toph and push him to do more.

 

Ok, as usual, Skinny, you have left me hungry. And thirsty! :lol:

 

I really miss reading what Ginny's making for dinner! Gah! I need to catch up on Twoey! :)

Link to comment
On 07/12/2016 12:34 PM, Lisa said:

I was just reading through the comments when I came to Tim's TopGar. lol What about Garpher? or Tophy? Yeah, no. Oh yeah, I just realized he goes by Toph and not Topher. So never mind with the Garpher -- that would never work! :P

 

Ok, then. lol

 

I do agree with all your reviewers; Toph is really growing up. He even said the L word in the same sentence as Gary (only in his mind of course)! That's progress! :)

 

I absolutely love how Toph can 'see' all these different colors and hues in Gary's eyes, and then recreate them in a portrait. I really can't wait to "see" Gary's final portrait, as well as the Texas boys' portrait. Oscar has much insight, and he's a good person who can guide Toph and push him to do more.

 

Ok, as usual, Skinny, you have left me hungry. And thirsty! :lol:

 

I really miss reading what Ginny's making for dinner! Gah! I need to catch up on Twoey! :)

Thank you Lisa!

 

Yeah, I think we've all given up naming the couple. Maybe they'll give themselves cute names and we'll join those.

 

I think Toph is approaching "the talk" with Gary. Then maybe those words will move from his mind to his mouth. You know how Toph is with most stuff, baby steps and slow ones, at that!

 

Also his "failure" with Steve weighs heavily.

 

The next chapter will show Luke a little more. That special TALON group has become a replacement for his blood-family.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/20/2016 10:30 AM, Randy Wade said:

Nice Chapter, nice to see Toph living instead of existing

Thanks, Randy!

 

There's no doubt Toph has mad a huge move forward. Some is because of Gary, but Toph, too, is gaining confidence.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I loved the paragraph describing Toph's love and appreciation for Oscar's patio.  Is it prophetic?  Will be live there some day?  Oscar seems to be his chosen father figure.  

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..