Jump to content
    skinnydragon
  • Author
  • 3,131 Words
  • 4,669 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Toph's Empty Year - 6. Early November

Niles.

Today, the second letter arrived from Niles.

Dear Toph,

This is but a short note to mention a few things. The first is, I cannot forget about you. I’ve tried, but I can’t. I’ve been able to stay away from New Glory because I believe you deserve time to distance yourself from your past, as you wished. My presence would only serve as a reminder of Floria. But please be aware I have not forgotten you. I’ll show up one day, and my previous offer stands. You can send me away forever with a single word.

The second purpose for writing is to inform you your sister Clarissa is engaged to be married sometime next summer. I thought you should know, that’s all.

Love, Niles

What was I to make of this? I was referring to my sister’s wedding, of course. Does she ever even think of me? Will I be invited? Should I attend? How would she even do it? Maybe things will be different by next summer, although I sincerely doubted it.

What was I to make of Niles? There was something familiar about him, but I was sure I’d never met him before. I can’t deny I’m attracted to him. Of course, I was sort of going with Steve now. We didn’t have an exclusivity agreement, but it was certainly implied, I think. I couldn’t stray while I was with Steve anyway. Come to think of it, I couldn’t stray while I was with Austin, although he had other partners. Maybe I was a one-at-a-time kind of person. Anyway, I didn’t have a lot of experience upon which to build any firm conclusions.

What will happen after Steve? Maybe Niles would be still interested and available. He would surely be a stronger fortress against The General. Niles was at least a Major. Why did my mind even do stuff like this? Here I was, lining up future boys like Gary lines up suits for the week. I needed a reality check. These were people I was dealing with,not clothes. I felt ashamed. There was always this little thing inside me that seemed to need an alternative or escape route from where I was. I could understand why I did it in Euphoria, but why now, why here? I loved my life in New Glory. I shouldn’t be making Plans-B to whatever. I should simply enjoy Steve as long as we’re happy with each other. Whether it’s a week, a month or forever, I shouldn’t make plans to change it.

The General can make all the plans he wants. That’s his life. I needed to start enjoying my life. I mean, I already did! I enjoyed my painting, my love-life, my apartment, my new friends from Happy’s to the gallery. I needed to alter this negative way I'd been used to thinking. Well, all those thoughts were brought to the surface by his simple note. I guess I owed Niles a thank you.

. . . . . . . .

The painting I began at home was evolving into Steve. Unfortunately, I didn’t have too much opportunity to work on it. The real Steve occupied too great a portion of my time. That plus the gym and now tennis, on occasion, and most of my painting experience occured at Naomi’s.

At Naomi’s were the paintings of Anders and Gary, which were nearly finished. Gary had taken a longer time to emerge. I was only lately capturing something in his look which reflected his inner beauty. Gary had plenty of outer beauty, but I’ve been discovering more about him whenever we interacted at the apartment, the gym or on the court. I’m pretty sure I’d found it now. In a few weeks, I’ll surprise my friends when these paintings accompany me home.

Even while finishing those, I finally was able to begin a new painting at Naomi’s. It has a myriad of pastel shades. This was unlike anything I had previously begun. But I somehow felt compelled to launch it in this manner. Not at all sure who or what will emerge, I thought it mightn't even be a portrait. Well, that was unlikely, but only time would tell.

. . . . . . . .

“When are you going to set the date?” I had finally built up enough nerve to confront him.

“I don’t know Toph. I wanted to wait until Papa made me a partner, but Jo and I are getting impatient and there's something else going on. I think we might be pretty close to making the decision.” Big Joe was nervously twisting his stirrer as he explained.

“Is it a financial consideration?”

“No, I’ve been pretty frugal and have quite a bit saved up. Certainly enough for a down payment on a house. I wanted to prove myself first. That might sound silly, but it’s always the way I’ve been. It probably even goes back before I made them stop calling me Little Joe.”

“You were only eight then.”

“Yeah. It’s just something inside me. Maybe because I’m so short.”

“Joe, you realize you don’t have anything to prove. You’re a great guy. I want to meet Jo too!”

At this point, Big Joe caught me completely off guard. “Maybe we should all go out to dinner one night, like a double date.”

“A double date?”

“Sure. Me and Jo and you and your boyfriend.”

“My boyfriend?”

“Betty said you have a boyfriend now.”

I called Betty over.

“I have a boyfriend?”

“I’m guessing since about the middle of last month. Am I wrong, Toph?”

I had to chuckle. “No, that’s pretty accurate, Betty. Who told you?” I figured Anders’ mother must have said something.

“You did, Toph.”

“What? I don’t remember telling you.”

“Did you think you could hide something like that? Not from Betty you can’t! It was all over your face and in your eyes.”

Oh my! I used to be so expert at guarding my emotions from view. There you have it. New Glory at work again!

. . . . . . . .

Speaking of the boyfriend, Saturday had become our day. Steve worked until noon. I usually showed up around four and we found something to do. Dinner, a movie, a game, there was always something to do in the city. Returning home invariably led to sex, often a few sessions since neither of us worked the next day.

I always stayed over. After Steve fell asleep and Merle came home, we would talk or watch terrible late night movies until he retired at about three. I usually read until Steve awakened. I’d make him coffee and share tender kisses until it was time for me to leave. He always asked me to stay and sleep there, but I didn’t want him to feel I was moving in.

The Sunday morning after Big Joe’s little bomb, I mentioned it to Steve.

“There’s this guy I usually have lunch with.”

“Oh-oh, should I be worried?”

I chuckled. “No, nothing like that. His name is Joe, although everyone calls him Big Joe.”

“Big Joe huh? How big is he?”

“He’s actually shorter than me.”

“Maybe he’s big somewhere else?”

I began laughing. Steve had a way of making me laugh. In any event, I explained all about Big Joe and how he got his name.

“And he wants us four to go to dinner? What do you think? Do you want to do that?”

“In a way, I do. I mean, we’ll have fun. Joe’s a great guy and I can’t wait to meet Jo. But there’s something else.”

“Oh? What’s that, Toph?”

“Well, last Saturday night, after Merle went to bed, I began thinking. My life seems like a suburb, divided into little yards. The more I thought about it, the more I realized it was always that way--even when I was younger back where I came from. Now I’ve got my work, my apartment, my boyfriend, my painting and my New Glory friends separated by little picket fences.”

“Oh?”

“Yes. Being together with you, in all the places we go, I think has shown me something I never realized before.”

“Which is?”

“It’s artificial, what I do. It’s why I think this dinner is a good idea. It will sort of take down one of the little fences. Now, Steve, I’ve got to be honest with you. This is not easy for me. I’ll need your help and support as I attack these fences, one at a time. But you’re the first person I’ve ever known who I feel I can rely on.” I gave my boyfriend a kiss.

“Where’s your family, Toph? Why are they missing from your little yards? You never talk about them. Ever.”

I was quiet for a bit. I needed to think about what Steve asked. Finally, I responded.

“My family is not behind little fences, Steve. It’s behind a large, forbidding wall with razor wire on top. We’re not anywhere near ready for that assault. Maybe never.”

This revelation made Steve draw me to him in a warm hug, another thing new for me. I think it was the very moment I looked at Steve differently. I did not see him as my current boyfriend. Maybe we did have a future. Having a future with Steve was something I had never considered before. It was such a novel idea that I had trouble fully embracing it. But for the first time, I did embrace it.

. . . . . . . .

For the first time, I was able to join two of my yards. I accepted the invitation. Dinner with Big Joe and Jo was a total triumph! Jo is a dynamite girl. She’s short as Big Joe but as fiery as he is laid back. Jo’s dark eyes flashed when she got involved in the conversation, which was always. She was like a force of nature. I didn’t know how he’s been able to keep from being married for so long. Steve fit in easily with both of them. My usual reserve even vanished. This was so different from my Euphoric life. For the first time, I was euphoric.

The dinner was at a pretty nice restaurant in the city. Big Joe informed us, up front, he was paying.

“I don’t want any haggling over the bill when we’re finished. It ruins the aura. Dinner is on me because I invited you. If you invite us, dinner will be on you. I like to keep it simple.”

I had Nico’s perfect fake ID, but decided against using it. I chose iced tea instead. Big Joe bought a bottle of wine, which the other three shared. I’m certain Steve hadn't had too much experience in elegant dining. I caught sight of him checking which utensil I used and other unconscious habits which were bred into me from my former life.

It’s funny, but the more imposing the restaurant, the more lightly I choose to eat. It’s always been that way. Maybe I should visit a shrink to have it explained. In any event, Big Joe thought I was doing this because he was treating. I calmly pointed out the price of the meals were similar. I was content with confit of duck breast, which did look lonely on the plate. Maybe I was too nervous to eat more. Steve certainly didn’t appear nervous. I hoped his stomach would be able to withstand the heavily creamed sauces which drowned each thing on his plate.

As I had previously implied, the purpose for me wasn’t about the food or even about the company--although Jo was a gem--but the merging of two of my yards. In that respect, it was a smashing success. More so than I had any right to expect because I could feel a change take place within me.

Later, when we were alone, Steve too said he saw a change in me. He thought the dinner brought out a new me. I’m sure something happened. The warm feelings I had led to surprise sex, for the first time initiated my me. It was new sex with new feelings. The only negative being after such a wonderful high, I had to go to work. For the first time, I wished I had a day job, when I could spend my nights cuddled with Steve.

It was an era of firsts for me.

. . . . . . . .

Speaking of firsts, I received my first letter not from Niles. It was an invitation. I had a flash of worry, once I saw the size of the envelope. My worry was it would be an invitation to Clarissa’s wedding. Then I got a surge of hope. Perhaps it was an invitation to Big Joe’s wedding. But it was neither. It was an invitation to a Tea.

Really? Me, invited to a Tea?

The very concept sounded so bizarre and antiquated. But it was from Luke, who ran our gallery, and so it was certainly legitimate. Clearing my schedule for Wednesday, three o’clock saw my arrival at Luke’s house. The gallery was closed Wednesday, so it made perfect sense. In fact, most everything closed Wednesdays in New Glory.

The “Tea” wasn’t quite what my mind had envisioned. Luke’s house was large. Certainly another relic from the eighteen-nineties. Luke explained it was his family home, which he had inherited. In a large drawing room sat a most ornate table of heavy, highly polished, wood. Around it sat Naomi, Abigail, a gentleman I had yet to meet, and two empty chairs, reserved for Luke and me.

Luke introduced me to Oscar, a writer who lived in town and seemed to be the approximate age of everyone else. I was in the process of greeting Abigail and Naomi when suddenly Oscar exploded. “Toph! You’ve provided the perfect final letter!”

We all looked at him in wonder.

“The ‘T’ makes our group T-A-L-O-N, simply perfect!”

I certainly could spell, but I couldn’t imagine what he meant by ‘perfect’ until the ‘Tea’ evolved. It turned out to be a monthly meeting of old friends, stretching back to their high school days. No one drank tea. Oscar and Abigail sipped martinis, which were actually crystal goblets filled with ice, Tanqueray, and two olives. Naomi sipped a Hungarian Tokaji Aszu, from a similar goblet. Luke, and then I, sipped Costa Rican coffee from fine china cups. Its supply was from a large silver urn on the table. Oscar was the bartender for himself and the ladies. The bar was just behind the table along a wall of dark wood and light marble. A fire crackled at the end of the room.

Luke smoked some type of colored cigarette from a holder. No one paid the smoke any mind. Oscar kept a small pad with a smaller pencil. Every so often he would jot down a few words.

The ‘Tea’ was a swirl of one witticism after another. It was difficult to keep up, but I tried. It was also difficult to keep from laughing. These folks were good. However, we were allowed only smiles of recognition for one bon mot after another.

Oscar was certainly the king. “TALON” made perfect sense, as he ripped into one golden calf after another. He even edged me into this territory. It was unusual, because I already do this all the time in my brain. Finally it was allowed to spill out of me. It was like therapy. Perhaps it’s why they’ve kept at it for so many years.

Finally, the thought which had been eating at me was allowed into the open.

“I have a question for you all. Why have I been invited to your private little club? Not that I haven’t thoroughly enjoyed it, but I’m so much younger and much less educated and experienced than you. Why me?”

Oscar chose himself to be the spokesperson. “I’ve had to sit here for weeks listening to these people talk on and on about you. When even Luke said he met you, I insisted you be invited. I’m sure I speak for the group when I say you will always be welcome to crash or little club, as you call it. We meet the second Wednesday of each month, so circle it on your calendar, or whatever it is you young people do with the calendar on your phones.”

Then Abigail spoke. “In any event, we were getting bored with one another and thought it was time to lower the average age. You’re only beginning your life and education, Toph. We believe there will be great times ahead for you. Call us the talent scouts of New Glory.” Then they all had a rare chuckle.

More firsts for Toph. It was turning out to be a surprising November.

. . . . . . . .

I did visit my credit union to talk about a new car. They were most helpful, providing me with pamphlets describing repair histories and bottom line prices I should aim for. Everything was moving well until we got to the part called pre-approval. This was what they did before one went shopping. You could confidently conclude a deal, knowing you would be able to borrow at least a certain dollar amount. Everything sounded wonderful until they ran what they called a credit check. They did this to determine the interest rate on the loan, allowing them to figure the monthly payments.

I’ll need to discuss this with Merle. No one in Euphoria, teacher or family member, had ever explained this side of finance to me. It seemed I was frowned upon because I had never borrowed money before. I thought not needing to borrow money in the past would be a big plus, but the elves of finance think differently. In fact, I discovered a shocking little secret. It seemed the more you owed other people, the happier the elves were and the more likely they would allow you borrow even more money from them.

That seemed so counterintuitive!

Suppose I had enough money to loan some to a friend who needed help. I would be more comfortable with helping out someone who had never needed help before, as opposed to someone who was constantly hitting up all his friends for loans. I wouldn’t think the latter person was safe at all. However, the elves of finance thought exactly the opposite. They were more worried about the person who had been prudent, never needing a loan, than they were about the person who always lived beyond his means. I supposed I would never understand the world of finance. I concluded I would need to nurse my car a longer, too.

Copyright © 2016 skinnydragon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 44
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

Very interesting. Toph is beginning to understand himself better, and is working to address what he sees as the problems. His analogy of little yards was very aft, but the part that fascinated me was his comment when Steve asked about his family:

 

“My family is not behind little fences Steve. It’s behind a large forbidding wall, with razor wire on top. We’re not anywhere near ready for that assault. Maybe never.”

 

The interesting part is the first word of the second sentence. Toph's family is not "They", they're an "It" -- a group that's he's not thinking of as being people but some abstract collective.

 

Well done to Toph on his month of firsts. :) I hope that continues. Now we need to find out if he's going to do anything about his sister's wedding...

 

PS: Regarding his new painting, I'm waiting for the time when he discovers he's doing a self-portrait. The way he paints, it will only be a matter of time. However, I have a suspicion that painting his self-portrait and what he learns from it will also be the end of the story, so I'd like that to still be some time in the future, please... :D

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Certainly an interesting period in Toph's life--a lot of firsts! Remarkably, for so much self-revelation, he's handling it all well. (Not everyone handles that sort of analysis well.) In fact, that's the thing I'm finding most interesting about Toph; he analyzes everything. Perhaps too much so. Is there any room in his life for spontaneous action?
You've painted a great portrait of Toph, filled with nuance and detail. Really enjoying this tale! MORE!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

This chapter covers a lot of ground, and you have handled this fast-forwarding very nicely, Skinny. Toph is learning a lot about himself and so are we, and I'm finding many aspects of his character that resonate with me. Thanks, Skinny!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Wow, who is this new guy? I like him, stopping to think, wonder about himself and the there in his life. I like the fences and that he's breaking them down or merging them into bigger spaces.

 

Nice chapter!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/23/2016 10:16 AM, Graeme said:

Very interesting. Toph is beginning to understand himself better, and is working to address what he sees as the problems. His analogy of little yards was very aft, but the part that fascinated me was his comment when Steve asked about his family:

 

“My family is not behind little fences Steve. It’s behind a large forbidding wall, with razor wire on top. We’re not anywhere near ready for that assault. Maybe never.”

 

The interesting part is the first word of the second sentence. Toph's family is not "They", they're an "It" -- a group that's he's not thinking of as being people but some abstract collective.

 

Well done to Toph on his month of firsts. :) I hope that continues. Now we need to find out if he's going to do anything about his sister's wedding...

 

PS: Regarding his new painting, I'm waiting for the time when he discovers he's doing a self-portrait. The way he paints, it will only be a matter of time. However, I have a suspicion that painting his self-portrait and what he learns from it will also be the end of the story, so I'd like that to still be some time in the future, please... :D

Thanks for the review and great comments Graeme!

 

Yes, I pondered quite a bit over that one little word. But as pleasing as has been his progress, Toph isn't there yet ...not even close. He's still on the outside looking in, or on THAT side looking OVER, whichever fits ;)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/24/2016 12:05 AM, Robert Rex said:

Certainly an interesting period in Toph's life--a lot of firsts! Remarkably, for so much self-revelation, he's handling it all well. (Not everyone handles that sort of analysis well.) In fact, that's the thing I'm finding most interesting about Toph; he analyzes everything. Perhaps too much so. Is there any room in his life for spontaneous action?

You've painted a great portrait of Toph, filled with nuance and detail. Really enjoying this tale! MORE!

Thanks for the great review Rex!

 

The 'analyzing' you so delicately mentioned :P is deeply ingrained from his past life and, as you note, the missing spontaneity - which could be the final piece of his puzzle, but it's still awfully far away.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 01/24/2016 12:44 AM, jess30519 said:

This chapter covers a lot of ground, and you have handled this fast-forwarding very nicely, Skinny. Toph is learning a lot about himself and so are we, and I'm finding many aspects of his character that resonate with me. Thanks, Skinny!

Hey jess thanks for your comments!

 

Toph resonates with me too, so I know how you feel. :o

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/24/2016 02:13 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Wow, who is this new guy? I like him, stopping to think, wonder about himself and the there in his life. I like the fences and that he's breaking them down or merging them into bigger spaces.

 

Nice chapter!

Hey tim! Thanks for that!

 

Toph does seem like a new character, every time he works through an issue from his past. But unfortunately, he's got a lot left.

 

One baby step at a time...

  • Like 2
Link to comment

An era of firsts indeed. I liked his introspection, and then consciously allowing himself to experience those firsts. Little things, but significant. I sense, and you've indicated that there's a lot of ground to cover with Toph.
I want to know what happened with Toph's family, why he is reluctant to discuss them. Was there a real trauma or simply their lack of interest and connection with Toph, which is, growing up with it, is trauma enough. Will he bring Steve if he gets invited to the wedding, if he even goes..
Also, very curious about the story with Niles..
Loved the chapter SkinnyD, I'm eager for more of Toph..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/24/2016 06:49 AM, Defiance19 said:

An era of firsts indeed. I liked his introspection, and then consciously allowing himself to experience those firsts. Little things, but significant. I sense, and you've indicated that there's a lot of ground to cover with Toph.

I want to know what happened with Toph's family, why he is reluctant to discuss them. Was there a real trauma or simply their lack of interest and connection with Toph, which is, growing up with it, is trauma enough. Will he bring Steve if he gets invited to the wedding, if he even goes..

Also, very curious about the story with Niles..

Loved the chapter SkinnyD, I'm eager for more of Toph..

Thanks for your thoughts Def!

 

Yes, little steps. Maybe Toph was more damaged than he or we thought.

 

A reader mentioned somewhere (Toph Forum?) that he was functioning well despite his problems. Maybe it's what's keeping friends from noticing something's wrong. idk

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Narrative voice is your bliss. I like how being in Toph's head is different from being in David or Twoey's head. Even the brief bits of Matty have a distinctive feel. Like Toph's canvases, your tonal work teases out a full portrait in abstract.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/24/2016 07:53 AM, Dayne Mora said:

Narrative voice is your bliss. I like how being in Toph's head is different from being in David or Twoey's head. Even the brief bits of Matty have a distinctive feel. Like Toph's canvases, your tonal work teases out a full portrait in abstract.

Thanks for the lovely comment dayne!

 

Once the characters are alive in my head, it's much easier to get in and out of them, so to speak. I don't think it would be possible if I didn't love them, every one!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Not a ton to add beyond what other reviewers have already mentioned. I'm glad Toph is recognizing these limitations he's placed in his own personal life and is trying to remedy that problem. I'm glad he's recognizing there's potentially more to his relationship with Steve than merely "scratching an itch." Steve seems like a good guy, and probably deserves at least that much consideration. He does seem to want a bit more with Toph than a convenient lay.

 

Everything else... it's all still a mystery now. Does his family want to invite him to the wedding? Do they even care beyond possible proprieties and appearances?

 

Also what to make of this Tea or how it might help Toph in the future is still up in the air as of yet. Though for right now it seems like a good thing.

 

Overall I'm enjoying it and just continue to look forward to more.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/26/2016 12:25 PM, spikey582 said:

Not a ton to add beyond what other reviewers have already mentioned. I'm glad Toph is recognizing these limitations he's placed in his own personal life and is trying to remedy that problem. I'm glad he's recognizing there's potentially more to his relationship with Steve than merely "scratching an itch." Steve seems like a good guy, and probably deserves at least that much consideration. He does seem to want a bit more with Toph than a convenient lay.

 

Everything else... it's all still a mystery now. Does his family want to invite him to the wedding? Do they even care beyond possible proprieties and appearances?

 

Also what to make of this Tea or how it might help Toph in the future is still up in the air as of yet. Though for right now it seems like a good thing.

 

Overall I'm enjoying it and just continue to look forward to more.

You're right spikey. There's a lot of beginnings but not many endings from this chapter ...but there's a whole empty year for Toph to fill ;)

 

The Toph/Steve thing does seem less worrisome than it did in the last chapter. I guess we'll have to see how it plays out.

 

Thanks for the great comments, as always!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

There's always something for the intellect in your pieces. Just now, as I was reading about the portraits taking shape in Toph's studio, I began thinking about the fate of Austin's picture. It's in the closet, isn't it? Austin is in the closet. Yes…I suppose no new work can come on the Austin front until he comes out. This is the sort of thing I mean when I say 'something for the intellect.' It's very rewarding to let this story seep in and then guide my thinking as it goes.

 

On the merits of this chapter by itself, I think you did well in drawing out our hero so when he thought to himself "I was euphoric," there was developmental backing to that. He's making strides.

 

I'm sure all the 'firsts' of this chapter will soak in and be my subconscious guide as I venture on to the next installment.

 

Very well done!

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
On 02/03/2016 10:02 AM, AC Benus said:

There's always something for the intellect in your pieces. Just now, as I was reading about the portraits taking shape in Toph's studio, I began thinking about the fate of Austin's picture. It's in the closet, isn't it? Austin is in the closet. Yes…I suppose no new work can come on the Austin front until he comes out. This is the sort of thing I mean when I say 'something for the intellect.' It's very rewarding to let this story seep in and then guide my thinking as it goes.

 

On the merits of this chapter by itself, I think you did well in drawing out our hero so when he thought to himself "I was euphoric," there was developmental backing to that. He's making strides.

 

I'm sure all the 'firsts' of this chapter will soak in and be my subconscious guide as I venture on to the next installment.

 

Very well done!

Thanks for your nice comments AC!

 

Yes, this was a chapter of development, although Toph thinks of that development as a series of 'firsts'. I personally thing he's wrong. Development does imply firsts, but firsts do not imply development. You can have firsts, but go nowhere. Toph is clearly moving forward, probably in ways he can't yet imagine.

 

Thanks again for your review!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Graeme was very astute when he noticed the 'It' and not 'They' when Toph was describing his family. I suppose since they don't act like a family should act with Toph, he subconsciously thinks of them as 'it'.

 

And speaking of which, I really loved Toph's description of the parts of his life that are stored behind little white fences. I'm equating these little white fences with David's little compartments and shelves in his mind. It's the same concept, right?

 

It is exciting when two or more of these aspects of Toph's life can merge together, such as the dinner with Big Joe, Jo (lol) and he and Steve. When he does this, he becomes more like a real, visible person. :)

 

Why is Niles so smitten with Toph? How did he learn so much about him? He seems familiar to Toph, but has he ever met him before? Hmmm, maybe his father hired him at some point? Or his mother?

 

Another awesome chapter, Skinny! :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/03/2016 03:13 PM, Lisa said:

Graeme was very astute when he noticed the 'It' and not 'They' when Toph was describing his family. I suppose since they don't act like a family should act with Toph, he subconsciously thinks of them as 'it'.

 

And speaking of which, I really loved Toph's description of the parts of his life that are stored behind little white fences. I'm equating these little white fences with David's little compartments and shelves in his mind. It's the same concept, right?

 

It is exciting when two or more of these aspects of Toph's life can merge together, such as the dinner with Big Joe, Jo (lol) and he and Steve. When he does this, he becomes more like a real, visible person. :)

 

Why is Niles so smitten with Toph? How did he learn so much about him? He seems familiar to Toph, but has he ever met him before? Hmmm, maybe his father hired him at some point? Or his mother?

 

Another awesome chapter, Skinny! :)

Thanks Lisa!

 

Yes, you're right. Toph doesn't think of his family as individuals, but as a monolith of some kind.

 

Oh no! Am I bleeding David and Toph somehow together? :o

Maybe it's my own head looking at its reflection ...hehe.

 

Niles will clear it all up in the next chapter. Well, at least how he knows Toph. The rest will stay muddy, I guess. ;)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Big changes here. It was as if he was having revelation after revelation. The boy is opening up... to himself and others. I find it interesting how he considers Niles a Major and Gary a General. I sense fear of Gary... does that equate to fear of his past life, or fear of what he feels when he's around the man. Has he connected with him on an entirely different level? I liked his self-realizations, and that he's giving Steve more credit in the here and now, but I wonder... is he a step on the ladder to Christopher? I'm too tired to continue thinking, buddy... so I'll just say, great chapter, and good night... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/06/2016 03:53 PM, Headstall said:

Big changes here. It was as if he was having revelation after revelation. The boy is opening up... to himself and others. I find it interesting how he considers Niles a Major and Gary a General. I sense fear of Gary... does that equate to fear of his past life, or fear of what he feels when he's around the man. Has he connected with him on an entirely different level? I liked his self-realizations, and that he's giving Steve more credit in the here and now, but I wonder... is he a step on the ladder to Christopher? I'm too tired to continue thinking, buddy... so I'll just say, great chapter, and good night... cheers... Gary....

Thanks, Gary!

 

This chapter shows Toph trying desperately to understand himself among his new acquaintances. The problems for us, as readers, are that we shouldn't forget we see everything through Toph's eyes and mind and we also shouldn't let Toph's intelligence make us forget that he's only a 19 year-old kid.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..