Jump to content
    skinnydragon
  • Author
  • 3,302 Words
  • 7,413 Views
  • 23 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Toph's Empty Year - 1. Late August

Employment.

I thought it was a significant accomplishment anyway. Oh, you thought I meant getting a job, didn’t you. No, getting the job was easy. Pissing off my parents, family and friends, all at the same time, now that was a triumph!

The only problem was re-ordering my schedule. Go to bed at eight. Wake up at noon or one. Hide until dinner. Paint after dinner. Leave for work by 10:45. Work 11:30 to 7:30. Rinse, repeat.

Third shift is what they call it. Midnights. The Vampire Shift. It’s when I have to be awake. The store sleeps. The owner sleeps. The salespeople sleep. The customers sleep. Toph is awake. Toph makes everything right for the day people. Toph cleans things, polishes things, neatens things and tags all the new merchandise. Toph departs as the day people arrive. We never speak. We never nod. We do not recognize the other exists. I am invisible.

The store is old-fashioned, closing on Sunday. Saturday night is my day off.

It’s not a bad job. It’s not a difficult job. The pay is better than I expected, probably because of the shift. A good thing too. Otherwise my car would be difficult. Insurance, gasoline, maintenance, and the occasional repair. Nine year old cars need lots of repairs. My car feeds the job. My job feeds the car.

A gustatory stasis.

What little left over went into savings. I was not sure why. There must have been something worth saving for, but it hadn’t occurred to me yet.

It was slightly after the middle of the month, Friday, August seventeenth to be exact, when things started going south with my friends. I had only recently become employed. Most people didn’t know. Let me rephrase. Nobody knew.

It began when my phone chirped. It was afternoon, my hiding-out time. The display showed: Nico – usually a pleasant surprise.

“Toph? It’s Nico.”

“Hey man, where are you?”

“Home. What are you doing tonight?”

“Working.”

“Really? Bummer. How about tomorrow?”

“My day off. Wanna do something?”

“For sure. I’ll call you tomorrow.”

“Wait till noon. I work all night.”

“Holy shit! What the fuck kind of job is it?”

“Mine.”

“Okay. Well, I’ll call you tomorrow!”

Nico, or more formally, Nicolas Popendropolis, was as close to a best friend I had in high school. He’ll be a freshman at some expensive East Coast Ivy, starting next week or something. Daddy owned half the land in our suburb of Floria, or as we always referred to it: Euphoria.

Oh, and no, we weren’t that kind of friends. Nico was straight. He was a great friend and tennis teammate. I wondered what he had in mind for tomorrow. He was never much of a drinker, but I hadn’t seen him this summer. He had been getting accustomed to breathing the rare air of America’s highest and snootiest school. Who knew what he was into by now.

Another chirp. Austin. WTF! Why all these calls?

“Toph? It’s Austin.”

“Hey man, where are you?”

“Home, doofus. Vacation’s over. Time to get ready for Brown.”

Crap! They were all going to be back, getting ready for college.

“Oh yeah, I sorta lost track.”

“Aw, Toph, I feel bad. You lost track of me! Now get the fuck back on track and let’s do something!”

“I work every day but Saturday.”

“Jesus, you should have gone to school instead of taking a gap year. Working sucks!”

“Thanks for the news flash, Austin.”

“Toph, we’ve gotta get together! My cock was leaking all the way home!”

“Calm down boy. Haha. Give me a call tomorrow afternoon and we’ll figure something out. Don’t call in the morning, it’s when I sleep.”

“What?”

“Um, yeah. I work midnights.”

“Holy Fuck, Toph! OK, I’ll call tomorrow afternoon. Holy Fuck!”

Austin was my one constant throughout high school. The only person who knew I was gay and made sure to keep us satisfied. We weren’t boyfriends or anything. He had a few others he played with, but I didn’t want to go there. I figured every additional person who knew, would be an additional chance the information would leak home. It simply could never happen. Not even now.

You may be confused about my friends returning home before going to school. You need a bit of background. Euphoria is a privileged town. Not everybody can live here. True, not everybody can afford to live here. But even if they could, not everybody can live here, if you get my drift. All real estate is bought and sold through Papa Popendropolis, and he is our Heimdall, our gatekeeper.

It is tradition the young travel to exotic beaches and other worthy destinations every summer, usually returning the middle of August. This year, of course, my people, recently graduated from high school, are returning to prepare for the mass exodus to all the shining universities to which they feel entitled. Nico had to forgo the beaches because his school was so elite, he needed to be prepared. Think of it as an obedience school for preppies.

Before you think poorly of me, I have never bought into this shit. This was my town. It was full of preppies and yuppies, actually drowning in all the pees one can imagine. I hated it. I have always hated it. I didn’t participate in anything and never have – except for tennis. My only weakness in this privileged life was tennis. It was something I got into when I was a tiny boy, and I loved it. I’m certain it was the only reason I had any friends in high school. The good news is they long since gave up trying to convert me. While they always invited me to participate in whatever, at least they accepted my “I’m sorry” as a final answer. But they continued to ask. I guess it was the polite thing to do. We have all been taught impeccable manners. We are Euphoric.

Enough hiding. It was closing in on dinnertime. The period to shower and dress. Yes, of course, we dressed for dinner. Dinner was always at 6:30 sharp.

Dinner had moved from being uncomfortable and boring most of my life, into awkwardness now I’ve decided further schooling was not my thing, at least not yet – at least it’s what I lead them to believe. I’ll need to think of something else for next year, I guess.

“Good evening, Mother and Father. I hope your day was pleasant.”

“Thank you, Christopher. Actually, I have obtained a new supervisor.” Mother is head of the accounting department at England Inc. I didn’t know or care what they did or made or brewed, but I always thought the juxtaposition of “England” and “Inc.” was subtly witty.

“I have every expectation you will train him properly in the requirements incumbent on being your boss, Mother.”

“The only problem, he is very young, not yet thirty.”

“What can old England be thinking? The boy’s probably fresh from college. What could he possibly know of the world of business?” Father, of course. Next it would be my turn. Dinner was like a well rehearsed play.

“Christopher, I hear you’ve found employment for this idiotic gap year. When do you begin?”

“Yes, Father, I have. Actually, I began Monday.”

“How could you have? Elizabeth tells me you’ve slept until noon every day! Are you lying to me?”

Elizabeth was our maid. I should have figured she’d rat me out. We never got along. I would need to plot a suitable revenge.

“Not at all, Father. I did not sleep-in every morning. Mornings are now my time to sleep. You see, my job is during the overnight hours.”

“Oh, well, that explains it. There had to be an explanation. I knew you’d never lie to me.”

End of the ‘Christopher’ topic for today. I was pleasantly surprised at its harmlessness. Father and Mother moved on to more important things, like the charity raffle for brokers hurt in the latest Wall Street downturn. They never asked where I worked or what I did. It was all irrelevant and unworthy of their time and consideration. The only thing ‘idiotic’ was the gap year. Since not hustling off to climb the League’s Ivy is out of their knowledge set, it must be idiotic.

. . . . . . . .

When Saturday afternoon finally claimed me, so did Nico.

My phone’s vibration caused my eyes to pop open. One o’clock sharp. A decent night’s sleep.

I croaked, “Hey, Nico, what’s up?”

“You sound asleep. Did I wake you?”

“No – yes – it’s OK. Time for me to be awake. We have plans?”

“You’re going to join us all at Wild Wings – four-thirty. We’ll all catch up and let the evening reveal itself as it evolves.”

By “us all” Nico was referring to Austin, Kayla, Jacob, Vivvy, Tyler and Taylor. The crowd who insisted I was a member too – Nico's crowd. It was the crème de la crème of our high school. It was ironic they adopted Toph.

I checked my text notifications. They were ‘us all’ represented. Euphoric and Efficient, weren’t they?

I didn’t bother to read their crap. It was only going to be: ‘I’m involved in this amazing and important [ fill in the project name ].’

The implication was plain. ‘Toph wasn't doing shit.’ ‘He was working the Vampire Shift.’ I didn’t need any more crap. Didn’t I already get enough from my family?

I needed to call Austin.

“Hey, Toph, you got the imperial summons by now, huh?”

“Indeed. Now make my day by telling me we are not going to be a component of their evening, as it evolves.”

“You bet your sweet ass we’re not – literally.”

Thank God. Austin could have as much of my sweet ass as he wanted. It’d been a dry summer for Toph.

After cleaning up, deciding to not shave, announcing my not-at-home dinner plans to Mother. Avoiding each probing question and dodging every pointed barb, I escaped.

I needed to move out of that house.

I’d like to tell you Wild Wings was a warm reunion, with my high school pals reconnecting and promising lifelong friendship. I’d like to, but I can’t. OK, I’ll be honest. I didn’t want it to happen either. Excellent news! It’ll be the last Wild Wingding involving Toph.

It wasn’t a complete loss though. To my delight, Austin whispered that his house stood empty this weekend. It was about six somethingorother when he gave me the sign. We’d both had enough soda, grease and bullshit. We made our excuses, as usual. It was normal for Austin and I to abandon these little get-togethers. They all knew why, no doubt. Everyone was brilliant, of course. Everyone also possessed impeccable comportment. The situation was accepted and ignored. We were Euphoric, after all.

I was already quite hard by the time Austin closed his door. It was long past the time to fuck, methinks. Austin believed it too. We never kissed much. As I said, we were not boyfriends. Austin and I did kiss that night. Immediately, immensely and protractedly. We kissed as though we knew it was the last time we’d ever be together, which we did.

Our lovemaking, and that’s what it was that night, became a sweet recapitulation of all the themes we had ever composed throughout high school. The first one was slow and gentle, with an incremental crescendo, culminating in a loud climax. Austin bit my shoulder as he erupted, filling me – at the exact moment I came in the most satisfying orgasm of my life. Round One.

A long conversation and a couple beers later, Round Two was the opposite. I was loose and slippery. Austin was aroused and hungry. The sex was powerful and active, by both of us. I met every one of his thrusts with one of my own. I’m surprised we were able to last so long, but the physicality was impossible to go on forever. This time I came first, it was simply too excruciatingly intense. A minute later Austin followed, forcing himself as deep into me as he’s ever been.

This time after sex, it was nap time for Austin. I decided to unload his offerings and take a shower while he slumbered, totally at peace. I could not sleep. It would interfere with my schedule. Remember, eight o’clock was bedtime for Toph. I discovered some magazines in his living room and another beer in the fridge. Returning to Austin’s room, I read until he stirred at about three.

Three – haha. Round Three. Der Abschied. The Farewell. Needy; sad; grateful; concluding. When Austin came his final time, I did not. Austin’s afterglow began to entice him back into slumber. I kissed him gently and wished him well at Brown. Within a few minutes, my beautiful Austin was asleep. He was the boy who scratched my itch for four years.

I left.

I left him behind.

I left my previous life behind.

The bulletin from destiny was loud and clear.

I needed to move.

I needed to leave my Euphoria behind.

I needed to find another gay boy.

The search began soon after returning home. Scrutinizing the Sunday paper classified section, I had a list of six leads. But it was eight A.M., time for sleep. These numbers would be called as soon as I awoke.

. . . . . . . .

Sunday afternoon was contact time for Toph. Realizing I needed to keep my job, all the contacts were nearby, but in different suburbs. There was no Euphoria in my future.

Five dead ends. Too expensive, no teenagers, already rented. Crap, I wasn’t looking for an apartment on my own! These ads were for someone to share a place. Figuring number six would end similarly, I only half-heartedly inquired. Luckily it was a pretty young – relatively speaking – dude named Anders. He was already renting this three bedroom apartment in New Glory, a suburb two away from Euphoria, but in an arc around the city. From his location, my work in the city would be approximately the same distance as from my parents' place.

Well, this was Anders' explanation.

“My third renter accepted a job offer in another state. I’m pretty eager to rent, Christopher, but I don’t want a cat lady or some stuffy old goat who’s gonna complain every time the music’s a little loud, if you follow. My other apartment mate completely agrees.”

“Anders, there are no cats or goats with me or will there ever be. Better yet, I work the midnight shift. You guys can howl all night for all I care. I sleep from eight in the morning until noon or so. I imagine you don’t usually party during those hours.”

“Chris, dude! I can’t believe how perfect you are! Blake and I both work all day. You can sleep in peace! How old are you anyway?”

“I’m nineteen.”

“Holy shit! But no, it’s OK. It’s not a problem at all. Only a little younger than I anticipated, but it’s fine.”

“Anders, I don’t drink or smoke, but I don’t mind if you do. My father smokes cigars. I’m used to the smell. I don’t have many friends, therefore no parties, but I don’t mind if you do. I’m really pretty invisible.”

“Shit, Chris, you’re too good to be true.”

After minor haggling over the rent, I decided it could be afforded on my take-home pay. I didn’t even bother to inspect the place. After all, how bad could it be? It was only a place to sleep. I’d be able to heat up a can of soup for my supper, eat some snacks and I would be good to go. The room would be available September first, which will give me time to move the little stuff I own in a couple of trips. I’d break the good news to my parents after I was all moved in. By Labor Day, I would be a shiny New Gloryite. My roommates were Anders Martin, twenty-five and Gary Blake, a couple years older. They would be invisible to me most of the time. After all, they were day people.

. . . . . . . .

By the end of the following week, I had taken care of all the particulars required before my move.

Monday. I paid a visit to The Floria Bank and Trust, closing my account. I was presented with a cashier’s check for $7326.91, my life's savings. A quick drive ended with my discovery of The New Glory Community Credit Union. I am now a proud credit union member, account balance: $7326.91. All available to me except for $5, which is my share. I was now a shareholder in a financial institution. Father would be proud if he ever knew, which, of course, would never happen.

Wednesday. I knew where my important papers were kept. My father was very organized, his single good trait. In the lower file cabinet was the Christopher folder. In it was everything significant, from birth certificate through my final report card. It now lived in Toph’s room, ready to escape with him.

Friday. Last on my list was a phone. My current phone was still on my parents' plan. There was not a single contact I had any future interest in. I purchased a track phone. I now had a different number and an eager new phone. I didn’t intend to use it much though.

Labor Day would be Liberation Day. It was on September third this year. It meant I had both Saturday and Sunday nights off. The ideal weekend to quietly move my stuff to New Glory. My entire family would be here. The perfect setting for my farewell address would be our annual Labor Day dinner. This one was formal. Even the Chesterboys must dress black tie.

. . . . . . . . .

Friday, August thirty-first. Dressing for dinner, I recognized his voice. Shit, I had no luck.

Clarence, my twenty-three year old youngest older brother must have driven in from college to get an early start on a drunken weekend. It was Friday night of the Labor Day weekend. He’d be going out with his friends tonight.

“Well Chris, I see you finally got up. Is it all you do? Lie around all day? Doesn’t it get to you? I mean, you used to be a popular kid. A regular jock. What happened? Have you quit life?”

And, as expected, Father joined in their comedy routine.

“You claim you don’t know what you want but, Christopher, at least go to a state college. You won’t discover anything sleeping all day and working all night.”

Busying myself with the dinner plate and sipping from my glass of water, I decided to talk to Mother. “How is the new supervisor working out? You were a little worried about him. Have you trained him yet?”

“He’s alright. Everyone has their own way of doing things. He’s no exception.” Which was unmistakably Mother-code for ‘I can't control him.’

“You said he was young, how old is he?”

“He’s only twenty-eight.”

“What? He must be Mr. England’s son.”

“Not quite. The boss doesn’t have children. Garrett is his nephew. I guess they’ve always been close and he’s been working for his uncle in the company’s other location. He’s been learning the ropes since he was fifteen. I guess he’s being groomed to eventually take over. I believe he's the only heir.”

Father couldn’t resist, of course. “See Christopher! That boy has some gumption and it’s going to get him far. You should learn from him.”

“What, learn to pick a rich uncle?”

“You simply don’t get it Christopher.” My esteemed, scholarly, youngest older brother was bestowing his wisdom upon me before going out to get fucked-up tonight.

Only three more days.

Copyright © 2016 skinnydragon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 52
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This is a splendid beginning. Reflective without too much bitterness, given the nature of Toph's relationship to his world. What a goodbye to Austin. Not all of us were so lucky as we left high school as to have that kind of farewell. The new roommates appear to be full of potential for adventure, perhaps - in any case, they're new people, which may be exactly what Toph feels he needs. What a pity this story will post only slowly! Many thanks for sharing this with us all.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Great first chapter SkinnyD. I was totally caught up in this story. So interesting how Toph is, or chooses to be so different from his fellow Euphorites his parents included. I wonder how that happened. It did make me like him immediately as someone who knows who he isn't. Could Garret be Gary the new roommate? That would be a trip.
I look forward to the rest. I absolutely agree with Parker, it's a pity the slow roll out on chapters, but it will be worth it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/06/2015 12:30 AM, Parker Owens said:

This is a splendid beginning. Reflective without too much bitterness, given the nature of Toph's relationship to his world. What a goodbye to Austin. Not all of us were so lucky as we left high school as to have that kind of farewell. The new roommates appear to be full of potential for adventure, perhaps - in any case, they're new people, which may be exactly what Toph feels he needs. What a pity this story will post only slowly! Many thanks for sharing this with us all.

Thanks for the kind review Parker!

 

This, of course, only showed us Toph as he was in the prison (his mind) of Euphoria. It will be interesting to see if a new Toph emerges.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/06/2015 02:52 AM, Defiance19 said:

Great first chapter SkinnyD. I was totally caught up in this story. So interesting how Toph is, or chooses to be so different from his fellow Euphorites his parents included. I wonder how that happened. It did make me like him immediately as someone who knows who he isn't. Could Garret be Gary the new roommate? That would be a trip.

I look forward to the rest. I absolutely agree with Parker, it's a pity the slow roll out on chapters, but it will be worth it.

Thanks Defiance for your lovely welcome to the new story.

 

It'll be interesting to watch Toph evolve from what he was to what we hope he can become.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

It's wonderfully well-written, and besides my reservations on Toph's emotional disconnect with the world, he still drew me in and intrigued me.

 

I love reading about the internal world and inner-dialogue of smart people, and your main character is certainly such a one. While I am a bit dubious about his woe-is-me excuse for not being out, he nevertheless engages me with his calm, dispassionate and objective POV.

 

One way you really show this in my opinion is the 'lovemaking' with Austin. I found it somewhat heartbreaking that Toph knew this was a special event for Austin – a loving farewell – and yet allowed himself to feel no emotional response to it. Or, at least he did not let himself feel it in the moment, and that's the only time he could have done something about it. We know it's special for Austin because he was affectionate and kissing, which was not in character for the usual sexual exchange they have.

 

So, I am anxiously awaiting the next chapter. I'm hoping the secret running away from his parents that he's concocted will also coincide with his emotional coming out. It's not enough for any of us to know we are Gay, but to be ok with it. In my view, this has to happen before we can grow even one inch as a fully-realized person.

 

It's a great beginning!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/06/2015 11:38 AM, AC Benus said:

It's wonderfully well-written, and besides my reservations on Toph's emotional disconnect with the world, he still drew me in and intrigued me.

 

I love reading about the internal world and inner-dialogue of smart people, and your main character is certainly such a one. While I am a bit dubious about his woe-is-me excuse for not being out, he nevertheless engages me with his calm, dispassionate and objective POV.

 

One way you really show this in my opinion is the 'lovemaking' with Austin. I found it somewhat heartbreaking that Toph knew this was a special event for Austin – a loving farewell – and yet allowed himself to feel no emotional response to it. Or, at least he did not let himself feel it in the moment, and that's the only time he could have done something about it. We know it's special for Austin because he was affectionate and kissing, which was not in character for the usual sexual exchange they have.

 

So, I am anxiously awaiting the next chapter. I'm hoping the secret running away from his parents that he's concocted will also coincide with his emotional coming out. It's not enough for any of us to know we are Gay, but to be ok with it. In my view, this has to happen before we can grow even one inch as a fully-realized person.

 

It's a great beginning!

Thank you for the welcoming review, AC!

 

A very interesting comment on the lovemaking scene. We're not quite sure what to make of that, since we only have Toph's POV. This will be our (as readers) weakness throughout the story. Probably something to keep in mind.

 

Your fourth paragraph comment is insightful too. Toph needs to be freed from the straitjacket of his Euphoria to be able to stretch into what I'm sure he's capable.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

An excellent first chapter. Your main character drew me in right away, as did the premise. I'm looking forward to reading more of this one.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I agree with AC. concerning Austin. Toph may think neither of them wanted to be boyfriends, but Austin might have developed feelings for Toph if he hadn't been too closed off. However, it was probably for the best, since Austin was still a tie to his old Euphoria life which Toph is determined to escape.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I liked this very much. I'm not sure what I think of Toph just yet. He's nineteen, so young but at an age where you 'know all and see all' but the reality is, you know very little and especially don't know what you don't know.
Moving away from his perception of his life in Euphoria, what will he learn and see?
Will we witness the becoming of Toph? We'll see.
Wonderful Skinny, pulled me in beautifully...
tim

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/12/2015 06:06 PM, Gee Whillickers said:

An excellent first chapter. Your main character drew me in right away, as did the premise. I'm looking forward to reading more of this one.

Thanks Gee!

I hope it keeps your interest as Toph slowly unfolds.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/13/2015 02:45 AM, Timothy M. said:

I agree with AC. concerning Austin. Toph may think neither of them wanted to be boyfriends, but Austin might have developed feelings for Toph if he hadn't been too closed off. However, it was probably for the best, since Austin was still a tie to his old Euphoria life which Toph is determined to escape.

Hey Timothy, thanks for the review!

 

I think you may both be correct re: Austin. Toph does need to move on. Any relationship based in Euphoria probably would be doomed anyway - you got that right too!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/13/2015 03:18 AM, Mikiesboy said:

I liked this very much. I'm not sure what I think of Toph just yet. He's nineteen, so young but at an age where you 'know all and see all' but the reality is, you know very little and especially don't know what you don't know.

Moving away from his perception of his life in Euphoria, what will he learn and see?

Will we witness the becoming of Toph? We'll see.

Wonderful Skinny, pulled me in beautifully...

tim

Hey tim! Glad you found this interesting.

 

You're very correct. Toph is about to discover himself. Hopefully we'll discover right along with him. 19 is pretty young - yeah.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Toph is making a clean break. Good for him! Time to get out of that rarified upper-class atmosphere and see how the real world lives. Seems he knows the rules, but doesn't want to fit in there anyway. Kind of too bad about Austin; something could have developed there, perhaps. There was a hint that Austin was more into that relationship than Toph was. I'm looking forward to seeing how he handles the sudden separation from the life he's known up to now! I'm hooked, SkinnyD! Thanks!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/20/2015 08:48 AM, jess30519 said:

Toph is making a clean break. Good for him! Time to get out of that rarified upper-class atmosphere and see how the real world lives. Seems he knows the rules, but doesn't want to fit in there anyway. Kind of too bad about Austin; something could have developed there, perhaps. There was a hint that Austin was more into that relationship than Toph was. I'm looking forward to seeing how he handles the sudden separation from the life he's known up to now! I'm hooked, SkinnyD! Thanks!

Hey Jess! I'm happy you discovered Toph!

 

It's a little different from Twoey and a hell of a lot shorter! whew!

 

Toph has a world to discover, plus himself. I hope his journey is entertaining!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Oh man, Skinny, another story from you???? lol

 

What rock was I hiding under that I didn't see this?

 

And just when I was gonna read another chapter of Twoey...oh well, Twoey can wait. Can't wait to get lost in this promising story!! :lol:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/14/2016 01:24 PM, Lisa said:

Oh man, Skinny, another story from you???? lol

 

What rock was I hiding under that I didn't see this?

 

And just when I was gonna read another chapter of Twoey...oh well, Twoey can wait. Can't wait to get lost in this promising story!! :lol:

Hey Lisa!

Thanks for discovering Toph!

 

He would be easy to miss, as I don't add a chapter very often.

I hope you enjoy him.

Toph's fun to write.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I've been away, and am just now discovering this story--and I'm glad I found it! Loving your efficient descriptions of Euphoria and the privilege that lives there; also loving the complex portrait you've painted of Toph. (And having him refer to himself in third person is genius--it really shows how emotionally detached/isolated he's made himself.)
I'm really looking forward to the rest of this story!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/14/2016 10:46 PM, Robert Rex said:

I've been away, and am just now discovering this story--and I'm glad I found it! Loving your efficient descriptions of Euphoria and the privilege that lives there; also loving the complex portrait you've painted of Toph. (And having him refer to himself in third person is genius--it really shows how emotionally detached/isolated he's made himself.)

I'm really looking forward to the rest of this story!

Thank you for your review Robert, and for discovering Toph!

 

"Emotionally isolated" is a perfect description of Toph at this point in his life. Thanks for your kind comments.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

A very likable story with a very likable protagonist. I find it interesting the interest in art is only hinted at as if it's just a hobby or is it something that will be developed later, whichever it is it gives a certain expectation to the story. Also, the way Toph is interested in escaping from privilege to live a life outside that life can lead in so many different directions. I look forward to following Toph as he moves on in life.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/23/2016 08:18 PM, CarlHoliday said:

A very likable story with a very likable protagonist. I find it interesting the interest in art is only hinted at as if it's just a hobby or is it something that will be developed later, whichever it is it gives a certain expectation to the story. Also, the way Toph is interested in escaping from privilege to live a life outside that life can lead in so many different directions. I look forward to following Toph as he moves on in life.

Hey Carl! Thanks for discovering Toph, and for stopping in with a comment too!

 

Our protagonist is on a one year trek into reality and discovery. I hope he can remain interesting, although he may not be likable every step of the way :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Just discovered this story through the update list...I like it so far, and have a lot of sympathy for Christopher. HIs family reminds me of how my classmates at college must have been raised--almost all of them from well-off Eastern families who sent their children to a private university for status. So many of them partied, I thought it was hard to see how they could graduate.
We had the usual sports teams, but they mostly sucked...but there were ritzier ones too like lacrosse and tennis. I went to a few parites at frats or sororities sponsored by people in some of my classes, but that life was so fake it was insane. I did have a lot of fun attending group meetings on history, German club and and concerts though. Thanks to small class sizes, we got to know our professors in most cases, and I came out first to one of my English professors in her Women in Literature class. She was very supportive
This is a far cry from 18 Weeks...on to Chapter 2!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Wonderful beginning, skinny! Extremely well written... Toph is immediately interesting. I don't know yet whether he is acerbic, disillusioned, antisocial, or a mixture, but he does come across as intelligent, and maybe one step ahead of the rest. I sensed no arrogance here, and that makes him a likeable rebel when compared to his family and his upbringing... well done... I am intrigued... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/23/2016 02:18 PM, Headstall said:

Wonderful beginning, skinny! Extremely well written... Toph is immediately interesting. I don't know yet whether he is acerbic, disillusioned, antisocial, or a mixture, but he does come across as intelligent, and maybe one step ahead of the rest. I sensed no arrogance here, and that makes him a likeable rebel when compared to his family and his upbringing... well done... I am intrigued... cheers... Gary....

Thanks, Gary!

 

I'm so glad you discovered this story. There are some rough times ahead for Toph but also some rewarding times. Enjoy the ride!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..