Jump to content
    skinnydragon
  • Author
  • 3,081 Words
  • 4,774 Views
  • 25 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Toph's Empty Year - 5. Late October

Steve.

Steve and I have been sort of seeing each other since the middle of the month.

The first night was at a dark table near the rear of Angie’s Tap Room. Yes, they actually named it a tap room. Nico’s perfect fake ID looked better than Steve’s genuine one. At least it did to the waitress/bartendress.

Steve asked if I was really 22. I confessed my true age.

I asked if he was actually 22. He said he was. That’s how I knew his ID was genuine.

I don’t drink, but everyone knows beers don’t count.

We each sipped on a Sam.

We spoke with quiet voices about this and that.

We spoke with our eyes about that and this, our upcoming relationship.

We essentially made plans for a future date. Future, as in the very next day when Steve was off work.

I’ve come to discover Steve doesn’t plan too far into the future. I’m perfectly comfortable with it. We were not in it for the long haul. I was perfectly comfortable with that too. This relationship was important to me for at least two entirely valid reasons.

First, it was not hidden. Not from my small group of friends, not from my apartment mates and not from the world. Anywhere we went, it was utterly obvious we were together. I’ll tell you something. For me, it was a cathartic experience.

Second, it was two months since I last had sex. Finally, I was freed from all my pent up frustration. I’m certain I was becoming not nice to be around. Actually, it took us a number of days to build up to full sex.

The first night, after we left Angie’s, Steve slipped into my car in the parking lot. He and I kissed. It was very nice. I was not used to kissing. It was all we did because I was about to leave for work. I thought it was tender. It made me smile all night, as I tagged items and straightened goods on the counters.

The next morning, we stopped to chat for a few moments. He reminded me of our date that evening. Verifying I had his address, we planned to meet after he was off work. The first date was dinner at a little restaurant which was quiet and dark. Steve never took his eyes off me. I never took my eyes off Steve.

Later, we returned to his empty apartment. After I entered, Steve pushed the door shut and pushed me gently into it. For the first time in my life, I experienced a full body kiss. I knew he wanted to go faster, wanted to go farther. The wonderful thing was, he didn’t. It wasn’t anything I said, or any of my body language. In fact, my body language probably screamed, “Fuck Me!”

For a guy who didn’t plan too far ahead, Steve was actually doing just that. He seemed to understand a quick sexual experience would end our relationship that very night. It would be a one-off. And so, he steered us to a sofa, where we made out while mostly relaxing and watching TV until it was time for me to leave for work.

Steve’s apartment is shared with one other dude, Merle, a 23 year old accountant. I’ve come to like Merle. He was a pretty chill guy. Merle’s in an oddkward relationship with a girl, spending most of his evenings at her place, but never overnight. He hadn’t ever mentioned her by name, at least to me. This, of course, freed Steve’s place for us, not that Merle would have ever been any hindrance. About three or four times a week, I met Steve after he left work at 5, spending the evening until it was my turn to leave for work.

Steve loves to kiss, a departure from Austin. I’ve been learning to love it too. Kissing added a certain dimension which had been missing from my previous relationship. Our kissing led to the next step, bringing each other off in various ways, from using our hands through frottage. We finally arrived at the comfort level he felt necessary for oral sex. In his patient approach, Steve was correct, of course. The bonus was a growing fondness for each other. A few days later it was time--long overdue--for me to enjoy what Steve was packing. I was slightly apprehensive the first time, because of my having experience with only one other partner. I needn’t have worried. Steve was gentle and affectionate in our lovemaking. He so filled and fulfilled me, I soon forgot my concerns. Thankfully, it was a Saturday night and I chose to stay over. We made love twice; each time was more tender than I had ever remembered sex. Steve finally fell asleep a little after midnight. I couldn’t sleep until 8 AM, of course. It proved to be all for the good.

I didn’t want to go home right away. We made a deeper connection that night. I believed going home while Steve slept would feel too much like a hookup, for both of us. I intended to busy myself until morning. I wanted us to say goodbye after a wake-up kiss. As I wandered around the apartment, looking for something to read, Merle came home. He brought out some beers and we talked until after three. It was an ideal opportunity to meet Steve’s roommate. Merle was a very nice guy, although we didn’t have too much in common, except Steve. It seems Merle and Steve had known each other for years, even having been in high school together. So, in addition to learning more about Merle, I discovered more about Steve. I was pretty sure Merle implied he was the first person Steve came out to. In any event, I was glad I stayed. That morning, Steve couldn’t hide his pleasure I had remained the night.

I had never brought Steve home to my apartment. I think it bothered him a little. It isn’t Anders and Gary didn’t know about Steve. I’d by no means hidden the fact we see each other. I’d never concealed where I spent those evenings. I was sure they would welcome Steve as much as they welcomed Joanne.

So what was the problem? I was acutely aware of Gary’s feelings. He’d never said anything, but he didn’t need to. I’m not thick. Gary has feelings for me. Somehow I sensed he understood Steve was no long-term threat. I think he was biding his time, waiting Steve out. Gary is a general, not a lieutenant.

I really didn’t want to flaunt Steve in Gary’s face. Neither deserved it. I didn’t know what to do about Gary. When Steve and I are ended, the problem with Gary will remain. I didn’t want to jeopardize my living here. It’s simply too perfect. I also had the unsettling suspicion Gary and I weren’t well-suited, long term. I mean, I knew from experience how wealthy people were with love and relationships. Ultimately, I knew I needed a close and devoted relationship. So again, I didn’t know what to do about Gary.

Back to Steve. Our sex was relaxed. Our sex was good. He’d asked me to top a few times, not my preferred position. I’d enjoyed it because Steve had, but he preferred to top. We were pretty sexually compatible.

Don’t get the impression our evenings were sex romps. We did other stuff, and then had sex, usually finishing about an hour before I left. It gave us time to settle down, and me to shower and look pretty for the ghosts, I suppose. Yes, except for a cleaning crew, I worked alone on the Vampire shift.

. . . . . . .

“Toph, this is stunning and subtly different from your other portraits. This boy has fire beneath his outer appearance. This was your lover, no doubt about it.” Naomi was sagacious, as always.

The new, darker painting at Naomi’s had indeed become Austin. But unlike the others, Austin fought from escaping the canvass. He fought me and fought the canvass. I found I could not work on him for long periods of time. The process of freeing Austin was simply too taxing on my psyche. Austin was still not completed, even after several weeks!

“Naomi, I’m crashing into some sort of invisible barrier with this painting. Has this ever happened with you? What can I do?”

Naomi gave me a knowing look. I could tell she had been observing my inadequacy to realize this latest portrait.

“Barriers are within you Toph. You cannot finish this painting because there is something unfinished between you and the boy in the painting. Finish that, and the painting will complete itself.”

“I can’t go back, Naomi. I cannot go back!”

And so, an unrepentant Austin was placed in a storage room. Perhaps over the course of time, he will be joined by others. I spent the remainder of the month idly playing with brush strokes and layering. Naomi’s seemed to echo Austin’s ghost. I couldn’t think there, couldn’t dream there, and couldn’t paint there. It would be a while before I could begin anything in Naomi’s studio again. I was simply too emotionally drained.

Thankfully, I was able to begin a new painting at home. I let my mind go blank as it chose the colors. The pastels were shades of green and yellow, but there was a disconcerting shade of pink that my hand was drawn to. I put it back, realizing at once the clash it would represent. That was foolish; my hand was drawn to it again. I succumbed. What the hell, I figured, it couldn’t be worse than Austin’s catastrophe. As broad swaths filled the canvass, I wondered what would emerge.

. . . . . . . .

Heeding Joanne’s advice, I began talking with Gary a lot, the evenings I was home. Apparently he was a decent tennis player and had been trying to entice me into a game at his club. I was weakening. He’ll probably wear me down by November. I needed the exercise anyway. Painting wasn’t too physical, unless you threw a canvass across the room, which had happened only once so far.

Gary was also attempting to convince me to join a gym to work out again. Naturally, he had suggested the one to which he belonged.

“Toph, we could drive there together before dinner a few times a week. It would be so much easier if we both were at the same place. It’ll also eliminate any excuses for not going.”

He made compelling arguments. But I wasn't naive. I knew The General was skirmishing. However, I did need to work out and tennis was singing its siren’s song. The result was I joined his gym.

I know, he won this skirmish!

A couple nights a week, when I’m not meeting Steve, Gary picked me up after his work and we spent some time at the gym. I wasn't quite ready for the tennis commitment, but it was only a matter of time. It was inevitable.

I also learned a few things about Gary. I now knew he sails. His family had a yacht anchored in Florida and another in Maine. Gary expressed a desire to sail with me, one place or the other, or both, next spring and summer. The General was laying out his long term campaign. Would I be strong enough to resist? How did he even know I love to sail? I got the uneasy feeling The General was way craftier than I previously believed.

. . . . . . . .

I met a new and interesting person.

I had been visiting the gallery a day each week. I would spend an hour or two, usually confining myself to one or two of its rooms. As I explained before, there was much good work there. I didn’t want to absently walk by something of interest. Each painting in each room received my full attention and non-expert interpretation. Painting is a lot like poetry. What the viewer observes is not always what the artist was considering. I think it’s what makes all the arts come to life. Good plays, good music, good literature and good art all have these multifaceted dimensions.

In a room devoted to Dadaism, I was amazed to discover an actual Duchamp sculpture. As I was studying it, someone cleared his throat. I turned around to see a shortish, dapperly dressed gentleman of probably fifty years. He was dressed in a sort of 1920s-modern fashion, including a bright blue bow tie!

“I’ve seen you here quite a lot, my friend. I’m delighted someone seems to understand how to properly enjoy a gallery. Oh, I’m sorry, you don’t even know who I am.”

Introducing himself as Lucius Junia, he observed my wide-eyed look.

“I see you know your Roman history as well my friend. Junia is my family name, but my parents had a perverse sense of humor. Either that, or they forgot our republic was already established and didn’t need another founder. I’m only thankful they didn’t add Brutus as a middle name. Call me Luke, please!”

“I’m pleased to meet you Luke, my name is Christopher, but call me Toph. I take it you are in charge here?”

“Yes, indeed. I had been wondering if you were the one Naomi talked about. I see my guess was correct.”

We had a very long chat that afternoon. Luke seemed to be the perfect curator for the gallery. He even invited me to his office. Over a small glass of Sherry, he explained some of the difficulties such a small gallery had, despite several impressive works. We also discussed his plans for its future. I was impressed with both his wit and intellect.

My future visits to uncover what this place embraces will be more meaningful because of our visit. This made my anticipation all the greater.

. . . . . . . .

One thing my relationship with Steve had accomplished was Joanne seemed to have abandoned her matchmaking. Of course The General clearly didn’t need her anymore. I was sure there were charts and battle plans drawn up somewhere in his office. I certainly intended to stay on guard.

Since I was at the apartment for meals only a few nights each week, Joanne and I usually ended up in deep conversations when I helped her prepare dinner. My soup supply hardly ever got accessed anymore.

I was surprised it took me this long to discover she was a business teacher at New Glory High. She was in charge of something called an academy. She placed students in various businesses for internships, while they were still in high school. They even worked in those placements for summer employment. In fact, two of her academy students were currently interning at my credit union. I was sure it helped with their college applications. Needless to say, Joanne put in many extra hours each week, keeping on top of it all.

From Joanne, I’d learned Anders worked in the city for MetLife. I didn’t think he sold insurance though. She had never volunteered where Gary works, nor had he. Of course, I’d never ask. He was clearly someone with clout, if he had the power to fire--not to mention wearing Armani.

. . . . . . . .

Surprisingly, for someone who had been going with his girlfriend since high school, Big Joe seemed to be entering a phase I can only describe as puppy love. It was quite remarkable, and entertaining.

“Betty, what’s up with Big Joe? He’s beginning to behave like a lovesick fifteen year-old.”

“I know, sometimes he sits and stares off into space, hardly eating his lunch.”

“Do you suppose they're talking marriage?”

“I don’t know Toph, he’s said he wanted to wait until he was a full partner, but it sure looks like he’s dreaming of other plans.”

“Maybe there’s trouble in paradise?”

“No, it’s not a worried look.”

“I agree. Don’t even know why I said it. Only trying to figure it out, I guess.”

Soon after, Big Joe came in, slipping onto the stool next to me. We exchanged greetings and ordered. While I was eating, I needed to restart each conversation because his mind would wander as I was speaking. Betty only shrugged her shoulders. I don’t think Joe ate much of anything.

“Is everything alright, Joe?”

“Huh? ..Oh sure, just fine.”

“You seem a little distracted is all.”

“No, Toph, things are fine …just fine.” He smiled at me.

OK, all I had to do was call him out on it, but I didn’t have the nerve to ask him yet. Perhaps next week, if he’s still like this.

Speaking of unlikely behavior, toward the end of the month I began to be visited by nightmares. I think it’s proper to call them nightmares, even though I sleep mornings. These scary dreams always involved my family. What made them so frightening is I was friendly with my family and they were friendly with me. I wasn't speaking of Charles, who would make more sense, but it was Clarence and my father who were friendly. I woke up each time in cold sweats!

Could it be a premonition that they were up to something? Were they going to attempt a sabotage of my now happy life? I’d tried to always be financially independent, never requesting handouts as my siblings constantly did. I couldn’t think of any way they had power over me. Why was I conjuring up these imaginings? Should I check the drug store for sleeping pills or something to drive me deeper than dream level?

As if the dreams weren’t enough, my car was starting to resent me too. By requiring a major repair each week or so, it was showing signs something was clearly wrong. I wondered if it was time for a replacement. It was difficult not to think about trading while I was driving, but the last thing I needed was for the car to know. If it realized what I was considering, it would find a way to punish me. I should maybe talk to the nice folks at the credit union next time I cash my check. It was certainly time to discover if new car payments would be much higher than my monthly repair bills.

Copyright © 2016 skinnydragon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 44
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

First. Again. Toph is out and being his own man. That must feel great. He feels Steve is good for him, but is resisting Gary - and who is this new fellow? I think Toph is about to learn that his own desires, actions and plans have big effects on others - Gary may be teaching him that - but I'd hate to see Toph break someone's heart. Excellent chapter all around. Please post more, soon.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Okay, I'm worried Toph thinks his car is out to get him.
Toph has certainly (for him) become a social butterfly, all manner of dates, Steve, Gary, Joe, Luke now??? Painting and the gym! Interesting.
But he knows Gary likes him and he knows Steve isn't long term, so why the games I wonder. Though he does play games fairly and thoughtfully.
Nice chapter skinny..
thanks,
tim

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

An interesting chapter that sets up lots of things for the future. I like how Toph views Gary as a General, with the implication being that Steve is the Lieutenant in that comparison. But that very comparison shows that Toph views himself as a minor player, a Lieutenant equivalent himself. He's not ready to reach the rank of General, and he's not sure when he will be.

 

Looking forward to the next chapter! :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Hm. Suppose that Gary's co-worker does turn out to be Toph's mother; has Gary made the connection somehow, and that is how he knows about Toph's likes and dislikes? Have to wait and see...
Seems there are still issues with Austin buried deep in Toph's subconscious. Are they somehow related to his nightmares about reconciliation with his family? It seems very unlikely that Toph would go back to his old life at this point, he's so happy with his current situation. But one never knows, in SkinnyLand! Can't wait for the next chapter! Thanks, SkinnyD!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/14/2016 07:12 AM, Parker Owens said:

First. Again. Toph is out and being his own man. That must feel great. He feels Steve is good for him, but is resisting Gary - and who is this new fellow? I think Toph is about to learn that his own desires, actions and plans have big effects on others - Gary may be teaching him that - but I'd hate to see Toph break someone's heart. Excellent chapter all around. Please post more, soon.

Thanks for the review Parker!

 

Toph does have a lot yet to discover. As you point out, he still must think of himself as "invisible" but not in the way he used to mean.

 

He'll certainly need to mature past that point.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/14/2016 08:36 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Okay, I'm worried Toph thinks his car is out to get him.

Toph has certainly (for him) become a social butterfly, all manner of dates, Steve, Gary, Joe, Luke now??? Painting and the gym! Interesting.

But he knows Gary likes him and he knows Steve isn't long term, so why the games I wonder. Though he does play games fairly and thoughtfully.

Nice chapter skinny..

thanks,

tim

Hey tim thanks for the comments!

 

Actually Toph has only dated Steve. That is, since Austin.

 

But he seems afraid of Gary

and the gym

and The General's plans

and his car

shit! I guess he is a little messed up.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 01/14/2016 08:42 AM, Graeme said:

An interesting chapter that sets up lots of things for the future. I like how Toph views Gary as a General, with the implication being that Steve is the Lieutenant in that comparison. But that very comparison shows that Toph views himself as a minor player, a Lieutenant equivalent himself. He's not ready to reach the rank of General, and he's not sure when he will be.

 

Looking forward to the next chapter! :D

Thanks for the review and insightful comments Graeme!

 

You've detected Toph's weakness in his insecurity.

We have to wonder if The General has also. And if he has, will he be wise enough to allow Toph to blossom or will he only be after the victory?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/14/2016 08:57 AM, jess30519 said:

Hm. Suppose that Gary's co-worker does turn out to be Toph's mother; has Gary made the connection somehow, and that is how he knows about Toph's likes and dislikes? Have to wait and see...

Seems there are still issues with Austin buried deep in Toph's subconscious. Are they somehow related to his nightmares about reconciliation with his family? It seems very unlikely that Toph would go back to his old life at this point, he's so happy with his current situation. But one never knows, in SkinnyLand! Can't wait for the next chapter! Thanks, SkinnyD!

Hey jess, thanks for all that! lol

 

Welcome to SkinnyLand!

 

Toph has a whole load of crap buried deep in his subconscious, it seems.

He may not go back to Euphoria, but he certainly has to 'go back' to address the issues!

 

Thanks again for the great review!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

All caught up--and really happy about it. It's remarkable how you're painting Toph, bringing together his disparities into a cohesive whole. It's almost like sitting in on a therapy session! And thankfully, the converging Toph is even more interesting than his separate fractured parts. But, his social life isn't fully integrated yet, and it's fascinating to watch him sometimes dispassionately report on each public (and occasionally, private) interaction.
All I can say is--you've gotta regularly update this story! It's too damn good to sit idle!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 01/14/2016 11:59 PM, Robert Rex said:

All caught up--and really happy about it. It's remarkable how you're painting Toph, bringing together his disparities into a cohesive whole. It's almost like sitting in on a therapy session! And thankfully, the converging Toph is even more interesting than his separate fractured parts. But, his social life isn't fully integrated yet, and it's fascinating to watch him sometimes dispassionately report on each public (and occasionally, private) interaction.

All I can say is--you've gotta regularly update this story! It's too damn good to sit idle!

Thanks again Robert!

 

Yeah, he's still a little socially ...stiff? isolated? apathetic? Haha ...maybe all those things.

 

I try to update about once a week, but this chapter seemed to fight me. Sort of like Austin fighting his portrait. :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Oh Toph, are you on your way to breaking another poor boy's heart? :unsure: The unfinished business with Austin is that Toph never acknowlegded Austin's feelings. He does not have to go back or even contact Austin (though he might send him a letter), but unless he realizes about hurting Austin, he won't be able to finish the painting. And he may end up hurting Steve too, in just the same way. Toph sets out with the statement none of them are looking for something permanent, and then blithely tells of growing fondness and Steve being happy he stayed the night. Sigh, I fear it may not end well.
I have a theory about Toph's nightmares, it's probably wrong, but here goes: Toph is slowly building a new family: Naomi as Mom, Luke as Dad, and Anders and Joanna as brother and sister(-in-law). This reminds him of his own family and the pain of having never felt loved or accepted (apart from Charles), and he dreams of them but acting as his new family. I hope it's his way of dealing with those issues.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

It's weird, I know Toph didn't have a happy home life, else he wouldn't have left like he did, but the more I read about him the more his behavior astounds me. It appears he had a lot of trouble connecting with the people around him. Even when they apparently care about him a lot, he seems to think (mistakenly?)all his relationships are superficial. I'm guessing Austin had stronger feelings for him than he realized. The problem here is Toph is still holding everyone at arms length, even the guy he's dating, and that's apparently going to keep hurting all of his relationships romantic or otherwise. That nightmare was definitely telling him something.

 

Great writing skinny, you write Toph so well. I'm very interested in what this new picture he's painting is going to be and how it'll factor in.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/15/2016 05:31 AM, Timothy M. said:

Oh Toph, are you on your way to breaking another poor boy's heart? :unsure: The unfinished business with Austin is that Toph never acknowlegded Austin's feelings. He does not have to go back or even contact Austin (though he might send him a letter), but unless he realizes about hurting Austin, he won't be able to finish the painting. And he may end up hurting Steve too, in just the same way. Toph sets out with the statement none of them are looking for something permanent, and then blithely tells of growing fondness and Steve being happy he stayed the night. Sigh, I fear it may not end well.

I have a theory about Toph's nightmares, it's probably wrong, but here goes: Toph is slowly building a new family: Naomi as Mom, Luke as Dad, and Anders and Joanna as brother and sister(-in-law). This reminds him of his own family and the pain of having never felt loved or accepted (apart from Charles), and he dreams of them but acting as his new family. I hope it's his way of dealing with those issues.

Hey Timothy!

 

You're right, of course, about Toph's 'problem' and it could be related to what Spikey mentioned in his review. Clearly Toph needs some sort of breakthrough to become more human, if that's an apt analogy.

 

Your conjecture about his nightmare sounds plausible. I wonder where The General fits into that family ;)

 

Thanks for commenting and putting up with Toph!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 01/15/2016 07:11 AM, spikey582 said:

It's weird, I know Toph didn't have a happy home life, else he wouldn't have left like he did, but the more I read about him the more his behavior astounds me. It appears he had a lot of trouble connecting with the people around him. Even when they apparently care about him a lot, he seems to think (mistakenly?)all his relationships are superficial. I'm guessing Austin had stronger feelings for him than he realized. The problem here is Toph is still holding everyone at arms length, even the guy he's dating, and that's apparently going to keep hurting all of his relationships romantic or otherwise. That nightmare was definitely telling him something.

 

Great writing skinny, you write Toph so well. I'm very interested in what this new picture he's painting is going to be and how it'll factor in.

Hey Spikey! Thanks for the comments.

 

The 'arms length' thing has never left Toph, even though he became "visible." Apparently he has a deeper problem than being invisible.

 

Unfortunately, he'll never be in a happy relationship until he comes to grip with whatever is doing this to him.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

So, Toph. Something clearly needs to give with regards to Austin. Whether it is actually Austin or what he represents, it obviously needs attention. Otherwise Toph will never be completely visible I don think. I also think that he did feel more for Austin, but didn't allow himself because he felt he had to be invisible. Finding out Austin might have cared too, is probably messing with his head. Who knows.
The other thing I find odd, is that he finds out about his roommates through Joanne. So, is he not having meaningful conversations with the people he lives with? He is with other people, like the gallery owner and Big Joe, and what do you do for work is very basic convo. Just struck me as curious. So much going on with Toph, but I like that you're making us see him work it out.

 

As an aside, the months before my lease is up I sweet talk my car because I think it will explode if it knew I was trading it in.. I totally get Toph's thinking..

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/15/2016 12:56 PM, Defiance19 said:

So, Toph. Something clearly needs to give with regards to Austin. Whether it is actually Austin or what he represents, it obviously needs attention. Otherwise Toph will never be completely visible I don think. I also think that he did feel more for Austin, but didn't allow himself because he felt he had to be invisible. Finding out Austin might have cared too, is probably messing with his head. Who knows.

The other thing I find odd, is that he finds out about his roommates through Joanne. So, is he not having meaningful conversations with the people he lives with? He is with other people, like the gallery owner and Big Joe, and what do you do for work is very basic convo. Just struck me as curious. So much going on with Toph, but I like that you're making us see him work it out.

 

As an aside, the months before my lease is up I sweet talk my car because I think it will explode if it knew I was trading it in.. I totally get Toph's thinking..

Hey Def! Thanks for the comments!

 

You might be right about the deal with Austin could be greater than Austin himself. We'll have to see how that evolves.

 

Toph clearly has trouble in basic convo, as you said, with his roommates. There must be a reason. I mean, he got more out of Merle in a few hours than he ever got from even Anders. Strange.

 

We all have weird superstitions with our cars, don't we? I never had my first car washed until the day before I traded it. Since then, every time I go through a car wash, I reassure my cars they have nothing to worry about. :)

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Ok, that Toph *snakes head slowly* he don't seem to get it, lol.

 

This chapter has generated many nuanced reviews, and I find myself agreeing with many points that have already been raised.

 

First, some thoughts about the main character: Does Toph by nature feel that human relationships are bound to be 'short-term,' or is it simply more a crushing cynicism that all interactions with others in the past have left him hurt, cold towards people, and simply 'invisible'? Idk…

 

Whatever the reason, it's a sh*t thing to do to Steve. If Toph goes into a dating scenario believing it will be a temporary thing, then guess what!? He'll make it exactly that. Now, we come to your skill as a writer, for Steve's caring is shown to the readers through the messed-up lens of Toph's view of him, and even still, the slightly older young man comes across as a wonderful person. His hesitance to not rush the budding connection with a 'hook-up' speaks volumes about his character – although it passes Toph's consciousness almost entirely unscathed. It breaks my heart that he thinks of Steve the way he does, and that the same line of thought is extended to Gary; for even if and when our boy and his flatmate strike up a romantic bargain, Toph will sabotage it with thoughts of a 'short-term thing.'

 

Dissociative identity disorder, I think is what we are being shown here, and brilliantly too.

 

Secondly, some praise for the level of writing: If my 'diagnosis' is correct, then perhaps the more pressure (emotional pressure) placed on Toph, the more disorganized his thinking patterns will become. Already here, I noticed a looseness to the structure of this installment, with his ideas blending from one scene to the next. I wonder if that will intensify until we come to a climax where he discovers just being visible is not enough; he must feel real as well.

 

Fascinating chapter. Thank you for posting it!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 01/17/2016 11:03 AM, AC Benus said:

Ok, that Toph *snakes head slowly* he don't seem to get it, lol.

 

This chapter has generated many nuanced reviews, and I find myself agreeing with many points that have already been raised.

 

First, some thoughts about the main character: Does Toph by nature feel that human relationships are bound to be 'short-term,' or is it simply more a crushing cynicism that all interactions with others in the past have left him hurt, cold towards people, and simply 'invisible'? Idk…

 

Whatever the reason, it's a sh*t thing to do to Steve. If Toph goes into a dating scenario believing it will be a temporary thing, then guess what!? He'll make it exactly that. Now, we come to your skill as a writer, for Steve's caring is shown to the readers through the messed-up lens of Toph's view of him, and even still, the slightly older young man comes across as a wonderful person. His hesitance to not rush the budding connection with a 'hook-up' speaks volumes about his character – although it passes Toph's consciousness almost entirely unscathed. It breaks my heart that he thinks of Steve the way he does, and that the same line of thought is extended to Gary; for even if and when our boy and his flatmate strike up a romantic bargain, Toph will sabotage it with thoughts of a 'short-term thing.'

 

Dissociative identity disorder, I think is what we are being shown here, and brilliantly too.

 

Secondly, some praise for the level of writing: If my 'diagnosis' is correct, then perhaps the more pressure (emotional pressure) placed on Toph, the more disorganized his thinking patterns will become. Already here, I noticed a looseness to the structure of this installment, with his ideas blending from one scene to the next. I wonder if that will intensify until we come to a climax where he discovers just being visible is not enough; he must feel real as well.

 

Fascinating chapter. Thank you for posting it!

Wow! Thank you for this penetrating review, AC!

I think I'll comment on none of it ...well maybe only a little. ;)

 

Also, I may never write another review myself ...whew!

 

I will comment on a couple points.

Toph seems to regard the anima of inanimate objects. tim pointed this out.

 

Toph began as an observer of himself and his world. He made a breakthrough which brought him (or part of him) into the world had had previously only been observing. We are witnessing, through many of the symptoms you and others have pointed out, a conflict between those mental states (nothing Earth-shattering here).

 

Where does it lead? who gets hurt? who wins? who loses?

 

I hope I can be successful in exposing all that. I'm not completely convinced, if the struggle for this chapter was any indication, but I'm an optimist :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Another terrific chapter. The developing relationship with Steve was well written and whether it goes on for weeks or months it will be good for Toph. Interesting bit about Austin's painting, but maybe Toph will go back to it to at least put enough more into it call it finished. Gary, well, I think Gary has a pretty good idea who Toph is if he doesn't actually know who he is. What will Toph do if he finds out Gary's last name is England? Will he run away, again. It's was also nice to see Toph having a little problem with life in general. How many of us have been in the position of having to decide whether to get a new car or to keep repairing the one we have?
Look forward to reading Chapter 6.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/26/2016 02:50 PM, CarlHoliday said:

Another terrific chapter. The developing relationship with Steve was well written and whether it goes on for weeks or months it will be good for Toph. Interesting bit about Austin's painting, but maybe Toph will go back to it to at least put enough more into it call it finished. Gary, well, I think Gary has a pretty good idea who Toph is if he doesn't actually know who he is. What will Toph do if he finds out Gary's last name is England? Will he run away, again. It's was also nice to see Toph having a little problem with life in general. How many of us have been in the position of having to decide whether to get a new car or to keep repairing the one we have?

Look forward to reading Chapter 6.

Thanks for the review Carl!

 

I think Toph is surprised at the relationship developing with Steve, and certainly has feelings for him now. It'll be interesting to see if he lets it develop (which could change him) or goes back to being an outside observer. You're correct in believing Steve could be the key for Toph.

 

Gary is still an enigma. We don't know for certain who he is, even if we suspect. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

There's not much else I can say that your readers didn't already comment on.

 

Interesting though about AC's thoughts on Toph having DID. From what I know of DID, I thought the person develops alternate personalities because they can't deal with life as a whole person, something like schizophrenia, but not quite. Maybe I'm totally wrong. But if that were the case, there would be a new name for each personality. He wouldn't be Toph for everyone.

 

Anyway...it was an educating chapter in SkinnyLand. (Thanks, Jess! :D). Toph can't finish Austin's portrait because he has unfinished business with Austin (dealing with his feelings maybe?), and obviously Austin can't come through the painting if Toph isn't sure of the context of the portrait. Did that even make any sense? lol Of course he's not going back to Euphoria, but maybe he can get a message to Austin through Niles? Just a thought.

 

One reader (I'm too lazy to check who though! lol), mentioned how Toph thought he was so invisible in Euphoria, and we only see things through his eyes, in his perspective. We don't hear anyone else's pov, so we don't know what they're thinking of Toph. We know through Niles that Nico was very worried about Toph, and he really missed him, and he loves him. Toph was surprised at Nico's admission. Toph's invisibility cloak was firmly in place in Euphoria, but it must have had some holes in it because he was visible to his friends. He wasn't truly real, like there in the moment. I can't explain it. Toph needs to be himself with everyone and not hide behind his invisibility cloak.

 

Also, why is Toph constantly thinking that any relationship he might have with another boy will only be short-term? It's so obvious that Steve really likes Toph. I'm sure Steve isn't looking at this as some short-term thing; I think he'd be really hurt if he knew Toph didn't have any long-term plans for them.

 

Same with the General. If he ever gave the General a chance, as far as Toph is concerned, it would only be for the here and now, not in the future.

 

Ok, on to chapter six. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/03/2016 01:48 PM, Lisa said:

There's not much else I can say that your readers didn't already comment on.

 

Interesting though about AC's thoughts on Toph having DID. From what I know of DID, I thought the person develops alternate personalities because they can't deal with life as a whole person, something like schizophrenia, but not quite. Maybe I'm totally wrong. But if that were the case, there would be a new name for each personality. He wouldn't be Toph for everyone.

 

Anyway...it was an educating chapter in SkinnyLand. (Thanks, Jess! :D). Toph can't finish Austin's portrait because he has unfinished business with Austin (dealing with his feelings maybe?), and obviously Austin can't come through the painting if Toph isn't sure of the context of the portrait. Did that even make any sense? lol Of course he's not going back to Euphoria, but maybe he can get a message to Austin through Niles? Just a thought.

 

One reader (I'm too lazy to check who though! lol), mentioned how Toph thought he was so invisible in Euphoria, and we only see things through his eyes, in his perspective. We don't hear anyone else's pov, so we don't know what they're thinking of Toph. We know through Niles that Nico was very worried about Toph, and he really missed him, and he loves him. Toph was surprised at Nico's admission. Toph's invisibility cloak was firmly in place in Euphoria, but it must have had some holes in it because he was visible to his friends. He wasn't truly real, like there in the moment. I can't explain it. Toph needs to be himself with everyone and not hide behind his invisibility cloak.

 

Also, why is Toph constantly thinking that any relationship he might have with another boy will only be short-term? It's so obvious that Steve really likes Toph. I'm sure Steve isn't looking at this as some short-term thing; I think he'd be really hurt if he knew Toph didn't have any long-term plans for them.

 

Same with the General. If he ever gave the General a chance, as far as Toph is concerned, it would only be for the here and now, not in the future.

 

Ok, on to chapter six. :)

Hey Lisa, thanks for churning along through SkinnyLand!

I wonder if jess would give me permission to use it as the title of a new story. :o

 

Whether he has DID or another disorder had some interesting development in the Toph discussion forum.

 

I think you've latched on to an important barrier to Toph's future happiness. Somehow he MUST stop seeing relationships as time-finite entities. It must be difficult for him to break this chain, seemingly linked to his past.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Toph sucks at reading people. I'm beginning to wonder if he had his family all wrong. He certainly had his friend Nico wrong, and probably Austin as well, and somewhere inside, he might suspect this which is why the painting is waiting in a cupboard. What he says about Steve and what he shows us are two opposing things. It's a little unsettling at this point, but I guess that IS the point. I have no idea where this is going... I just know I am intrigued... and your writing is superb. I'll be back... stole a little time for this :) ... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/30/2016 09:40 AM, Headstall said:

Toph sucks at reading people. I'm beginning to wonder if he had his family all wrong. He certainly had his friend Nico wrong, and probably Austin as well, and somewhere inside, he might suspect this which is why the painting is waiting in a cupboard. What he says about Steve and what he shows us are two opposing things. It's a little unsettling at this point, but I guess that IS the point. I have no idea where this is going... I just know I am intrigued... and your writing is superb. I'll be back... stole a little time for this :) ... cheers... Gary....

Thanks, Gary!

 

And thanks for stealing a little time for Toph. One problem readers must never forget with a story narrated by one individual is that everything we think we know is through his perspective. When that individual has certain... er... adjustment problems, well, we maybe need to begin reading between the lines.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On Thursday, January 14, 2016 at 8:51 AM, skinnydragon said:

Thanks again Robert!

 

Yeah, he's still a little socially ...stiff? isolated? apathetic? Haha ...maybe all those things.

 

I try to update about once a week, but this chapter seemed to fight me. Sort of like Austin fighting his portrait. :)

YAY! 5,000 likes for you, buddy :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..