Jump to content
    skinnydragon
  • Author
  • 3,391 Words
  • 4,443 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Toph's Empty Year - 11. Late January

Loneliness.

My weekends were vacant now. I took to discovering New Glory again, as I did when I first arrived. The only difference was I knew at the end of each tour I would return to Niles’ park. It was inevitable. I didn’t fight it. On my first return, there she was again.

She was alone. I mean in her life. I could easily detect that now. Only the lonely can so easily perceive it in another soul. She was on a bench across a sward of park. We were reflections of each other, reverse images of sadness.

I held the sadness of failure, the failure of my first relationship. I had lowered my shields and then was attacked. However, I vowed not to raise them again. I’ve matured, in a way. Perhaps the fire from my breakup also served as the fire to anneal me. But, as with metal, the cooling down must be slow and gradual for maximum results.

On the other hand, my reflection had a mission. She was feeding the pigeons, who greedily swarmed around her. What brought her to this? Who was she and why did she need to feed those pigeons?

I succumbed to Oscar’s gentle nudge. My mind began to create the back story of this humble woman. I decided her name was Antoinette. It was a name filled with hope and prospect. Her parents chose the name because it described the charm and a certain elegance they were so sure she would grow into.

When she was five years old, Antoinette fell in love for the first time. She did to the degree any five year old could fall in love. He was the same age, vacationing at the small lake with his family, as Antoinette was with hers. They each took an instant liking to the other as they labored, constructing sand castles on the beach where they found themselves daily. It was an idyllic time which, being five, she believed would never end. But, as vacations do, this one did end after two weeks. The need for this, Antoinette never understood. Of course, her family convinced her they would return in a year’s time when she could continue her friendship with the little towhead. Naturally, this never happened. Antoinette did not forget the failure of her first relationship.

The bitterness of her loss remained. She did not allow herself to fall in love again until she was twelve. Naturally, it was another little towhead. Unfortunately, they were each very shy and didn’t connect until near the end of the school year. Her bliss waxed again for nearly an entire month. When vacation began, they swore their love for each other and promised to keep connected and even visit over the summer. That did not happen because, once again, her love was wrenched from her grasp as fate had the audacity to dictate his family move that summer. Antoinette spiraled in to a depression only found in girls of a certain age. During her final year in middle school, she became morose and withdrawn.

These were the exact traits one could never exhibit in middle school. Therefore, as could be easily predicted, Antoinette became a social outcast. Being a social outcast in the final year of middle school also doomed her for the entire high school career. It was a stigma she could not erase. To compound her isolation, near graduation time her mother died and subsequently she began to take care of her ailing father.

Thus her fate was sealed. She was undone by her intense loneliness, aggravated by the loss of her mother.

Remembering Oscar’s encouragement, I decided to write Antoinette’s little story. It was painfully difficult for me. I am certain I wrote and rewrote the little tale a hundred times. I knew Anders and Gary were chuckling between themselves as I banged away on my laptop nightly, cursing and moaning.

Finally, I gave up making changes. I printed the damn thing to discover it was only two pages long! In my mind I had written War and Peace. It was a childish and awful attempt at writing, but I had done it. I had written my first bit of fiction. Anyway, I placed it in the bottom drawer of my desk to die a natural death, like the whatever-it-was between Steve and me.

. . . . . . . .

On Monday, a new letter arrived in the mail.

Dear Toph,

Just a quick note as a reminder I haven’t forgotten you. Maybe we should meet, if just to catch up. I only have sketchy reports of your life since our last meeting in November. I’m sure you have lots to report. You’ll discover I’m a willing listener.

You may not be interested, but I can bring you up to date on Clarissa and the big blowup at Christmas. Also Nico and Austin, but only if you want. I would never force any of this on you. I’ve enclosed another card, in case you (ahem) lost the one I gave you.

Please, just shoot me a text to let me know one way or the other. No pressure!

Niles

 

Only if you want. No pressure. Niles is a cunning fox.

I never doubted for a minute Niles was clever. He wouldn’t pressure me to listen to anything, but told me there was a blowup at Christmas involving Clarissa. It hung there, suspended, like a big juicy worm on a hook. A blowup, with whom? Certainly not her boyfriend. The news would have been described quite differently if that were the case. No, only the Christmas dinner I missed could have been the venue, and the blowup was with Dennydom. Had my reckless Labor Day divorce somehow sown the seeds for Dennerdämmerung?

He wanted to bring me up to date with Nico and Austin? What could possibly have occurred to bring me up to date? Were they not experiencing the joys of living amongst the privileged at privileged schools? What could be new? Did something happen to them during Christmas break too? I’m sorry, but I had serious difficulty envisioning Nico engineering a blowup with Papa Popendropolis. With only older sisters, he was the heir apparent.

Niles said he was still interested in me. He was devastatingly beautiful. How could a relationship even work? I mean, he lived in Euphoria, so we’d always have to meet here. I’m sure that would grow old fast for Niles. Whatever did you have up your sleeve, you sly boy?

I stand here in awe of you Niles. You have quickly snagged me now! Your note arrived precisely when I was feeling the crushing weight of my loneliness. Did you somehow know? I’ll bet you did. Then a beautiful boy makes me an irresistible offer. You are simply too clever. I have to meet with you now, if only to reward you for that. Maybe we can become closer. Maybe I’ll even reward you with a kiss.

I had not (ahem) lost his previous cards.

I sent Niles a text. Within a few minutes, we set a place – his park – and a time – next Sunday afternoon – for the visit. It would be good for me to actually look forward to something again.

I think with some things I’m ready to move on.

. . . . . . . .

These last weeks of January saw me still working with the architects. They were really a great bunch of guys, even though none was Frank Lloyd Wright. They even dragged me out Friday, the twenty-fifth, which was the final Friday of January. Having seen firsthand the evils alcohol could accomplish, I kept my fake ID safely parked in my wallet and also safely imbibed in Perrier.

While a lot of beer unquestionably disappeared from our table, my colleagues seemed to be not dangerous. Perhaps they were a little loose though, because they did agree to a proposal I made. I don’t understand why I even brought it up, but I requested some time off, the beginning of next week, to visit some of the strip malls England unfortunately has been responsible for. I wanted to make some sketches showing how more interesting results might have been accomplished.

Not only did they agree, but they seemed sincerely enthusiastic for me to do exactly that. Thinking about it later, I decided either they were intoxicated beyond what I could detect or they found it a good way to get the pain-in-the-ass out of their department for a few days. Whichever was their motive, I thought it would be an unusual and interesting addition to my Abington portfolio.

Another thing the Friday night on the town did was take my mind off this absurd straightjacket of isolation I was beginning to feel. It was so constricting, I hadn’t even been able to paint anything since completing the bird lady.

. . . . . . . .

Sunday’s meeting with Niles was interesting and disappointing. Interesting because of his reports. Disappointing because of my paralysis.

As one would expect, Clarissa’s wedding was being skillfully removed from her control by our mother. The normal script for this would be for her to complain to Mother and then be mollified by a few concessions. Meanwhile, the essence of the plan would remain in place, and everyone – mother – would be happy. I had already attended this play several times before.

“From my sources, that’s not how it went.”

“Who on Earth was your source, Niles? I hope it wasn’t Clarence.”

“No, hehe, it was Teddy himself.”

“Teddy?”

“Yes, your mother tried to engineer a dinner with the entire family and their chosen ‘others’ present.”

“I take it Teddy is Clarissa’s husband-to-be?”

“Yes. Clarence was there with Vivvy and you were supposed to be there with Steve.”

“Vivvy Van De Mark?”

“The very one.”

“But she was in my group! She's so much younger than Clarence.”

“Maybe when she discovered you were a Denny dud, she went for the next Denny dude.”

We both broke into uncontrollable laughter at Niles’ witticism. It was worthy of TALON. Gosh, I couldn’t remember the last time I laughed like that. Then something he said suddenly hit me.

“Wait. She expected me there with Steve? Why did she think I would even attend, let alone bring him?”

“According to Teddy, there were two places set for you and a visibly upset mother when they stayed empty the entire dinner. That is, until Clarissa made your mother forget about you.”

“Before you explain Clarissa’s little scene, would it be possible for you to contact Teddy sometime to see if he has any idea why she expected Steve?”

“I don’t have to. He already told me.”

“Niles! Don’t let me hang here waiting!”

“Hmmm. Maybe I want to sell you the information.”

“I don’t have a lot of money.”

“Who said anything about money?” He was grinning now.

“Niles?!”

“Easy, Toph. I only thought a kiss would be fair exchange. We’ve been here for a half hour and I’m desperate!”

“That’s OK. I was going to give you one anyway.”

“Oh? ...”

I didn’t know if he was going to add anything to his sentence or not, but it was interrupted anyway with a kiss from me. While I was in the middle of my first hungry kiss, I recalled how much I enjoyed his other kiss, all those months ago. The only thing wrong was the angle of being side-by-side on a park bench. I remedied that by swinging my leg over to straddle Niles, forcing myself and my lips into him. The kiss was hot, I’ll admit. We were hot too, as we could certainly feel, pressed into each other as we were.

I reluctantly broke the kiss and got off him.

“Probably not a good idea to continue that out here on a park bench.”

He chuckled. “No doubt.”

“OK, there was my little payment, now more of the story.” I was actually smiling! It felt so good to smile.

“Let’s see, where were we ...”

“Teddy knew she expected Steve.”

“Right. Well Teddy overheard your mother and father talking after the dinner. She specifically told your father she had talked to Steve.”

“Holy shit! She tried to manipulate me too.”

“Teddy said he had her pegged back on Thanksgiving. That was some of the issue with Clarissa.”

“First, before you get into that, tell me about Teddy.”

“Sure. Remember I told you Clarissa and I both attended Princeton?”

“Yes. I do remember.”

“Well, I met Teddy as a freshman. We became close friends and ultimately roomed together from sophomore through senior years. I hope you get a chance to meet him, Toph. You’d like him. He’s very unpretentious, although his family is both rich and politically powerful. But you’d never guess. He’s an honestly nice guy. That’s how Clarissa met him. He was always along anytime Clarissa and our little gang got together. Clarissa can be a little prickly.”

“For sure!”

“But she soon fell head over heels for Teddy. In fact, they’re quite a pair together. He’s done a lot for her. She’s a better person now.”

“OK. Teddy’s a good guy. Now tell me about the blowup.”

Niles paused. I chuckled and gave him another kiss. It wasn’t as intense as the last, but I wasn’t going there again, on the park bench. All his kisses were nice.

“Now, about Christmas. Teddy has visited a lot, naturally. He determined right away he wasn’t staying at or anywhere near the Denny home. In fact, he always stays down in the city near the waterfront. You know the Hilton down there?”

“Yes, right across from the big Anglican cathedral.”

“Well yes, and that was part of the problem. Teddy fell in love with the cathedral and had even befriended the bishop and several of the priests who base themselves near there. I’m sure some Teddy-dollars were involved somehow, but it’s where he wanted the wedding. That was deviation number one from your mother’s plan. She intended the wedding to be at your church in Floria.”

“I’m sure some Denny-dollars were involved there somehow.”

“I’m sure too. The second sin was Clarissa announcing, since the wedding was to be downtown, they didn’t want the reception to be at the Country Club.”

“Ouch! I can see the clouds gathering. Damn! If I had known about this, I might even have attended Christmas, just to watch!”

“I guess you missed quite a show. That’s where Teddy got into the middle of it. He often goes to an exclusive restaurant on the river. Do you know which one?”

“Yes, in fact I ate there in December. It’s about as exclusive as you can get!”

“I did tell you Teddy was rich.”

“Don’t tell me the reception will be there!”

“The reception will be there. Serious Teddy-dollars were involved, I’m sure. At the dinner, Teddy pretty much took over, explaining exactly how and where the wedding would be, and the fact his family would be paying for it. He completely pulled the rug out from under your mother.”

“Oh shit. Two troublemakers for the Denny’s and their names both begin with a T.”

That got us both laughing again, which I ended with a short kiss.

“What about Nico and Austin? You mentioned them.”

“Austin wants – no needs – to meet with you, anytime, anyplace. He says you have unresolved issues?”

“He’s right. If you see him again, give him my number. I owe him an honest talk. I was a little hurtful in August, but my total focus was on fleeing Euphoria at that point.”

“Nico has a bigger difficulty. Papa is not well and Nico is expected to take over the business. The problem is Papa might not make it four more years. Nico would need to leave school, although he doesn’t want to. He has no choice about the business. You know how hands-on and personal Papa Popendropolis is, and Nico will need to be the same way. It’s the only way his kind of thing works. So it’s tough for Nico. Not life threatening, but tough for a twenty year-old. By the way, he wants to talk with you too. As you know, he always considered you his best friend and can’t get his head around his life with you suddenly absent. Here’s his number; you should give him a call. Sort of tidy up loose ends with him.”

“You’re right, Niles. It’s been bothering me a bit too. My painting and then the thing with Steve had pretty much swallowed up all my thoughts last autumn. That together with becoming comfortable in New Glory.”

“What about us, Toph? I know you’re single again. Do we have any chance?”

“I don’t know, Niles. I’m sure you realize I like you, but it hasn’t yet been a month. I think I'll need a little longer to heal. I’m not trying to put you off, but don’t miss out on something if it comes your way. I think it would be really bad if I got into a relationship right now. Bad for all concerned.”

And so, after another lovely kiss, I walked Niles back to his car and he left.

I think with some things I’m not ready to move on.

. . . . . . . .

The end of the month was a Thursday. Joanne was over to make dinner again, not an unusual occurrence. I was her helper again, a usual occurrence. We worked so well together we could talk without interruption. It was a good thing. I needed some third party advice. Anders was useless for this type of thing. Gary would have been a good choice except for two minor points. First, he was not an impartial observer. Second, I wasn't finished being coldish to him.

I realize that last sentence makes me sound childish. Maybe I’m not mature enough yet to sound oldish.

OK, I knew I was being extreme with Gary. I promised myself that February would bring a thaw.

Back to Joanne. I needed her advice and she normally had pretty good instincts.

“I’m in a bad spot.”

“How so, Toph?”

“I miss being in a relationship, or whatever it was Steve and I had. I never had anything quite like it before. I think I grew accustomed to it, without fully realizing how it was changing something inside me. Now, without it, I’m sort of lonely.”

“Isn’t there anyone you could be interested in?”

“That’s just it. I crave a relationship but at the same I’m time fearful of one. Is that normal?”

“After your sudden and unexpected breakup? Yes, I think it’s perfectly normal.”

“You think I’m gun-shy.”

“I know you’re gun-shy. But it’s normal. Give it a little time, I’m sure you’ll overcome it.”

“On a different matter, what do you think I should do about Gary?”

“Do you hate him?”

“No.”

“Do you miss him? I mean doing things with him?”

“Yes.”

“You think you’re punishing him, right?”

“Sort of...”

“Toph, think. Who are you really punishing?”

“I get it. Thanks, Joanne.”

I talked to Gary often during our dinner that night. I believe It’s when it finally sunk in. I missed him. I had been childish. What I should have done was have it out with him back in December. It would have cleared the air and been taken care of by now. He would have understood my feelings. I would have understood why he did what he did, instead of resenting it. I would not have lost two months.

Thanks Joanne, I learned a lot from you today. You’re a great teacher!

After dinner, Gary and I sat together on the sofa and talked while the TV was mindlessly filling in background noise. I had missed his intellectual conversations. He took up where we had left off in November, as though my winter had not been so full of discontent.

We made plans for the gym and tennis the next day after work. The first of February would bring springtime for Toph, even if it was pushing the season a bit. But that’s how I felt right now. I was eager for a change. I had been treading water a little too long.

I would be twenty in March!

It was time for Toph to march!

Copyright © 2016 skinnydragon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 44
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So Toph is really growing! This is great to see. But how did Teddy really know about Steve? The parents' conversation? I wonder if Steve was more than he appeared...oh well. Niles wants Toph, but perhaps it's wise to keep him at arms' length just now. Good for Toph for writing his first story. More will come from practice, no doubt. Has he got dragon blood in him, too?

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I'm grateful that Toph didn't immediately jump toward a miles relationship--thankfully, Toph is smart enough to realize it's not time for that.
The Christmas dinner should have been fun--more action than a Ringling Bros. event! But I'm also certain there's a back story with Steve and his family's involvement.
Really looking forward to "Toph's Charge"!
A well done chapter, moving the story along, tying up some loose ends, and opening up some future plot lines. You did GREAT here!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Toph knows he's maturing, and he's smart enough to wait for the old to be fully shed and the new one to be broken in before making his next move. He has a lot of talking to do. We'll see what happens... great chapter skinny.
i just hope the next one has zombie or vampire in it :)

 

tim

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I wonder how much of Antoinette's story was autobiographical, if it was so painful for Toph to write. Was he drawing on his own bitter experiences in his earlier years? If he went through heartbreak at such a young age this would help to explain why his shields went up and stayed up for so many years.

 

Niles is still a mystery! Clearly he moves among Tophs old friends, but IIRC Toph had no idea how Niles fit in, at first. Yet he pops up as a pipeline back to Toph's old life, both his friends and his family.

 

I'm glad that Toph is finally talking to Gary. The silent treatment never works as well as one thinks it will! One less thing for Toph to worry about. A good chapter, and very nicely crafted, too. Thanks, Skinny!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I'm going to stay fixated on this because I think it's important. Steve ditched Toph because they skipped the Christmas Eve dinner. And it was done so brutally it was like he didn't even care about Toph anymore after that. This news from Niles only confirmes this. The question is why? And why didn't Toph ask that follow up question. His mother and Steve talked? There is literally no link between them at all, how would they have gotten into contact? This seems like a ridiculously grand conspiracy, but obviously someone was behind this and Toph isn't interested enough to find out who's interfering in his life.

 

At this point I think all signs point to good old "Gary" who has his secret agenda and has had plenty of practice at sticking his nose in Toph's life behind his back. Who kept suggesting Toph go home for Christmas? How often was this possibly in Steve's presence? Who could easily put Steve in contact with Toph's mother. Of course the question of motivation comes into play. Why was this so important to Steve that he'd dump Toph right after it didn't happen? Also if "Gary" did this, was it all delibrate, a ploy to drive a wedge between them and leave Toph conviently single again? He is the General after all. I still don't trust "Gary" and I think Toph should be considering these things before letting a manipulative jerk like him back in.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

A great chapter! I liked Toph's developing maturity showing, especially his insights into his failed relationship. On that subject, though, I wonder how much his mother's interference affected Steve? Since we now know that she contacted him, was she a factor in what he did? He still didn't handle breaking up with Toph well, but maybe he was running scared (just like Toph ran from his family back at the start of the story)?

 

Niles's conversation was a great way to fill in some off-camera events. It seems that not all is happy in Dennyland. I'm still curious, though, as to exactly how much as Toph's mother changed? She has -- Gary's previous comments have shown that -- but the behind-the-scenes contacting of Steve implies that there's something still going on.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I have to admit this chapter confused me. I waited to see if the reviews from other readers would help, but I'm still :huh: ? I hope the next chapter will clear things up.

  1. What was the deal between Steve and Toph's mother, and how did she know about him and get in touch with him. Why don't we hear anything about the family's reaction to Toph being gay? Or did she mean to spring on everyone? btw I don't think she has changed at all. :no:
  2. Why does Toph let Gary resume their relationship as friends as if nothing has happened? I want to see a confrontation where Gary is made to admit all his betrayals and manipulations and understand how badly he hurt Toph. :angry: He should apologize for everything and promise to do better.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/11/2016 08:27 AM, Parker Owens said:

So Toph is really growing! This is great to see. But how did Teddy really know about Steve? The parents' conversation? I wonder if Steve was more than he appeared...oh well. Niles wants Toph, but perhaps it's wise to keep him at arms' length just now. Good for Toph for writing his first story. More will come from practice, no doubt. Has he got dragon blood in him, too?

Hey Parker! Thanks for you comments on Toph!

 

Maybe that rotten Early January helped Toph turn the corner. We can only hope.

 

Since everything is Toph's POV, we only discover stuff when he does. Which is sometimes agonizingly slow. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 03/11/2016 08:40 AM, Robert Rex said:

I'm grateful that Toph didn't immediately jump toward a miles relationship--thankfully, Toph is smart enough to realize it's not time for that.

The Christmas dinner should have been fun--more action than a Ringling Bros. event! But I'm also certain there's a back story with Steve and his family's involvement.

Really looking forward to "Toph's Charge"!

A well done chapter, moving the story along, tying up some loose ends, and opening up some future plot lines. You did GREAT here!

Thanks Rex!

 

I think Toph is starting to mature a bit and is more careful with his relationships now.

 

Sorry we missed that Christmas dinner, but we're stuck with Toph's POV ...hehe :)

 

You're right. Time for Toph to (take) charge.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 03/11/2016 09:10 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Toph knows he's maturing, and he's smart enough to wait for the old to be fully shed and the new one to be broken in before making his next move. He has a lot of talking to do. We'll see what happens... great chapter skinny.

i just hope the next one has zombie or vampire in it :)

 

tim

Thanks tim!

 

Yes, that was a mature thing to do ...waiting for the dust to settle. I think he AND Gary have a lot of talking to do, and with each other.

Toph sort of glided over that at the end of this month.

 

Wait a bit. The zombie story I write will be in 2250, when I are one! :P

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 03/11/2016 12:47 PM, jess30519 said:

I wonder how much of Antoinette's story was autobiographical, if it was so painful for Toph to write. Was he drawing on his own bitter experiences in his earlier years? If he went through heartbreak at such a young age this would help to explain why his shields went up and stayed up for so many years.

 

Niles is still a mystery! Clearly he moves among Tophs old friends, but IIRC Toph had no idea how Niles fit in, at first. Yet he pops up as a pipeline back to Toph's old life, both his friends and his family.

 

I'm glad that Toph is finally talking to Gary. The silent treatment never works as well as one thinks it will! One less thing for Toph to worry about. A good chapter, and very nicely crafted, too. Thanks, Skinny!

Thanks for the comments jess!

 

In a way, all stories have a touch of autobiography in them, if there is any kind of emotional connection with the author.

 

Niles is connected to Clarissa and so to Toph's old life. It was a little surprising he wanted to even hear about it, but maybe his attraction to Niles was the real motivator ...hehe :P

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 03/11/2016 01:01 PM, spikey582 said:

I'm going to stay fixated on this because I think it's important. Steve ditched Toph because they skipped the Christmas Eve dinner. And it was done so brutally it was like he didn't even care about Toph anymore after that. This news from Niles only confirmes this. The question is why? And why didn't Toph ask that follow up question. His mother and Steve talked? There is literally no link between them at all, how would they have gotten into contact? This seems like a ridiculously grand conspiracy, but obviously someone was behind this and Toph isn't interested enough to find out who's interfering in his life.

 

At this point I think all signs point to good old "Gary" who has his secret agenda and has had plenty of practice at sticking his nose in Toph's life behind his back. Who kept suggesting Toph go home for Christmas? How often was this possibly in Steve's presence? Who could easily put Steve in contact with Toph's mother. Of course the question of motivation comes into play. Why was this so important to Steve that he'd dump Toph right after it didn't happen? Also if "Gary" did this, was it all delibrate, a ploy to drive a wedge between them and leave Toph conviently single again? He is the General after all. I still don't trust "Gary" and I think Toph should be considering these things before letting a manipulative jerk like him back in.

Hey spikey! Thanks for your usual great comments that I can't answer. :P

 

A connection between Steve and mother dearest is downright spooky. Toph tried to probe a bit, using Teddy, but clearly there's deep doodoo here.

Unfortunately we (the readers) only know what Toph knows. But if you're worried about it, Toph probably is too. Hopefully, we'll find out.

 

Gary could be a villain or an incorrect guess on your (and many others') part. We don't have enough data -- yet.

But if Toph is curious, things might be revealed.

As you can tell, his nature is to be cautious. So -- yawn --

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 03/11/2016 01:02 PM, Graeme said:

A great chapter! I liked Toph's developing maturity showing, especially his insights into his failed relationship. On that subject, though, I wonder how much his mother's interference affected Steve? Since we now know that she contacted him, was she a factor in what he did? He still didn't handle breaking up with Toph well, but maybe he was running scared (just like Toph ran from his family back at the start of the story)?

 

Niles's conversation was a great way to fill in some off-camera events. It seems that not all is happy in Dennyland. I'm still curious, though, as to exactly how much as Toph's mother changed? She has -- Gary's previous comments have shown that -- but the behind-the-scenes contacting of Steve implies that there's something still going on.

Thanks Graeme for your great comments!

 

Toph is clearly growing up. And that's good!

 

As I mentioned to spikey, Steve/Mother is a deadly combo. Hopefully Toph will probe further. He's slow, but he's relentless.

 

I'm not really sure mommy has changed. She sure sounds as calculating and controlling as ever. Maybe we can't see everything, but Steve/Mother doesn't sound too good to me. :(

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 03/12/2016 05:09 AM, Timothy M. said:

I have to admit this chapter confused me. I waited to see if the reviews from other readers would help, but I'm still :huh: ? I hope the next chapter will clear things up.

  1. What was the deal between Steve and Toph's mother, and how did she know about him and get in touch with him. Why don't we hear anything about the family's reaction to Toph being gay? Or did she mean to spring on everyone? btw I don't think she has changed at all. :no:
  2. Why does Toph let Gary resume their relationship as friends as if nothing has happened? I want to see a confrontation where Gary is made to admit all his betrayals and manipulations and understand how badly he hurt Toph. :angry: He should apologize for everything and promise to do better.

Hey Tim, thanks for your review and probing questions!

 

Steve/Mother is still an unknown.

With only Toph's POV, we only know what he does. He did seem interested, so hopefully he'll probe further when he can find the right witnesses.

 

I'm not quite sure Toph's being gay is or was an issue. When he came out at the dinner, it was the first time he came out. But he also mentioned earlier that everyone knew back in Euphoria, it just wasn't something one talked about.

If everyone knew, his family probably knew too, It just wasn't important enough to worry about. (conjecture)

 

Toph/Gary is a whole other thing. There's more than meets the eye on both sides. I think Toph is approaching the showdown though. It might be revealing. ;)

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Hooray! Stagnant, quasi-resentful Toph was beginning to be a worry. So much lovely movement in this chapter. I am inquisitive to know what Toph's mother said to break him and Steve apart, but probably just the contact was quite sufficient. Bravo, Teddy! I think I like him. Please note Anglicans do not have Monsignors. Priests, Precentors, Deans, Canons, Bishops and Archbishops, yes, Monsignors are a Roman manifestation, or infestation, if you prefer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/14/2016 12:51 AM, BrianM said:

Hooray! Stagnant, quasi-resentful Toph was beginning to be a worry. So much lovely movement in this chapter. I am inquisitive to know what Toph's mother said to break him and Steve apart, but probably just the contact was quite sufficient. Bravo, Teddy! I think I like him. Please note Anglicans do not have Monsignors. Priests, Precentors, Deans, Canons, Bishops and Archbishops, yes, Monsignors are a Roman manifestation, or infestation, if you prefer.

Hey Brian! Thanks for the review and the correction.

 

I was a little sloppy in my research, sorry - all fixed now.

My only contact with Anglicans, unfortunately, has been a rather snooty prick who lived next door. I should have researched a bit better than HIM! My bad.

 

Teddy does seem like a likable and clear headed guy! Maybe if he were around sooner, Toph would have stayed home, having an ally ...hehe.

 

Steve and Toph's mother is an unknown to US now cuz Toph doesn't know. Will he be curious enough?

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I, too, questioned why Mommy Dearest (MD for short) spoke with Steve. I wonder what things she spewed to him. I also wonder how she knew about him to contact him, and how on earth did she find out his number? Then I read Spikey's review, and it was like a light bulb turned on. Gary. Did Gary want to sabotage Toph and Steve's relationship because HE wants Toph, and he knows what Toph's mother is like? He must be thrilled then that Toph is talking to him again.

 

Another thing I was wondering was about Niles. Ok, from what I remember, Niles is a PI who Nico (Nico, right, not Nick?) hired to find out where Toph disappeared to and if he was ok, right? But is it total coincidence that Niles went to Princeton with Clarissa and Teddy? That just seems too random, you know?

 

On a side note, I really liked the story about Antoinette. If the story was autobiographical, like Jess wondered, Toph must have been in a lot of pain growing up. Very sad story.

 

Great chapter, Skinny! You always leave me wanting more! :) Now I have to play catch-up with D2 and Co. :P

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/18/2016 11:55 AM, Lisa said:

I, too, questioned why Mommy Dearest (MD for short) spoke with Steve. I wonder what things she spewed to him. I also wonder how she knew about him to contact him, and how on earth did she find out his number? Then I read Spikey's review, and it was like a light bulb turned on. Gary. Did Gary want to sabotage Toph and Steve's relationship because HE wants Toph, and he knows what Toph's mother is like? He must be thrilled then that Toph is talking to him again.

 

Another thing I was wondering was about Niles. Ok, from what I remember, Niles is a PI who Nico (Nico, right, not Nick?) hired to find out where Toph disappeared to and if he was ok, right? But is it total coincidence that Niles went to Princeton with Clarissa and Teddy? That just seems too random, you know?

 

On a side note, I really liked the story about Antoinette. If the story was autobiographical, like Jess wondered, Toph must have been in a lot of pain growing up. Very sad story.

 

Great chapter, Skinny! You always leave me wanting more! :) Now I have to play catch-up with D2 and Co. :P

Thanks for the great comments Lisa!

 

Oooo ...what a suspicious mind you have of Gary! Let's hope for Toph's sake there is a different explanation laying around somewhere in Skinnyland.

 

I think Niles confessed his connection a while ago when Toph realized Niles sort of knew him. It's just the sort of chummy club thing about Euphoria Toph hates.

 

We don't really know too much about Toph's growing up years. Maybe it will come to light later.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I somehow perceive the moral of this chapter to be our young hero learning the value of 'tidying up loose ends.'

 

Early on, Toph draws the analogy of tempering a sword to his emotional growth. Is that a martial nod to Gary as his General and general 'adversary.' Intriguing…. A loose end?

 

Then there is Niles – beautiful Niles – and the chance to 'pay him' with a couple of kisses.

 

Followed by Toph learning that Nico and Austin were both genuinely hurt by his lack of friendship. Friends tell friends they are running away. Two loose ends for sure.

 

And then, we learn that Mother Denny had spoken to Steve. Halt the press. That's not a loose end; that's a loose flyleaf with something glues behind it. I must pull back the veil and know what is going on.

 

Thanks for another revealing chapter, and now that I'm all caught up, I can stop by the forum and see what's ado over there. Cheers!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 03/26/2016 09:55 AM, AC Benus said:

I somehow perceive the moral of this chapter to be our young hero learning the value of 'tidying up loose ends.'

 

Early on, Toph draws the analogy of tempering a sword to his emotional growth. Is that a martial nod to Gary as his General and general 'adversary.' Intriguing…. A loose end?

 

Then there is Niles – beautiful Niles – and the chance to 'pay him' with a couple of kisses.

 

Followed by Toph learning that Nico and Austin were both genuinely hurt by his lack of friendship. Friends tell friends they are running away. Two loose ends for sure.

 

And then, we learn that Mother Denny had spoken to Steve. Halt the press. That's not a loose end; that's a loose flyleaf with something glues behind it. I must pull back the veil and know what is going on.

 

Thanks for another revealing chapter, and now that I'm all caught up, I can stop by the forum and see what's ado over there. Cheers!

Thanks AC!

 

I guess there actually WAS all sorts of tidying going on here. But then, it's the thing to do if you want to move forward, right?

 

Let's hope Toph will do that soon. We're all growing cobwebs around here.

 

Oh right. Gary and Mommie. I guess those two need to be dealt with. ;)

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Teddy sounds like an eventual ally if Toph ever returns to the fold. Mom contacting Steve? Could be as simple as a chance encounter or as devious as a private investigator. We have no way of knowing as yet. I find it amusing that Gary becomes the prime suspect with readers. It will unfold, and meanwhile, Toph is at least lightening up... he's growing... like twenty-year-olds do. Too much speculation... I need a nap... I'll just say one more thing... Niles... NO... but I could be wrong... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/04/2016 07:33 AM, Headstall said:

Teddy sounds like an eventual ally if Toph ever returns to the fold. Mom contacting Steve? Could be as simple as a chance encounter or as devious as a private investigator. We have no way of knowing as yet. I find it amusing that Gary becomes the prime suspect with readers. It will unfold, and meanwhile, Toph is at least lightening up... he's growing... like twenty-year-olds do. Too much speculation... I need a nap... I'll just say one more thing... Niles... NO... but I could be wrong... cheers... Gary....

Thanks, Gary!

 

Yeah, Teddy-Toph sounds like an unbeatable combo.

 

Too much speculation is right. Things are just at the turning point for Toph, he's really starting to emerge from behind his walls. Hopefully, he'll be rewarded.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..