Jump to content
    skinnydragon
  • Author
  • 4,324 Words
  • 4,154 Views
  • 26 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Toph's Empty Year - 13. Late February

Loose ends.

I received a call from Niles. After our last meeting, I had expected to never hear from him again. Either he has not given up or has slipped me into his friend zone. In either case, I am always delighted to hear from him. I do like Niles and he usually has interesting news.

In spite of my permission for him to give Nico and Austin my number, he has not.

“It’s your choice, Toph. I thought I’d give you a month or so to think it through. Last night I did receive a message from Austin. Ironically, it came by way of Nico. Austin thought Nico could directly contact you, because you had been best friends. The bottom line is, Austin wants to meet with you this weekend, if possible. Do you want me to give you his number, or continue to be the middleman?”

“Why don’t you give me both their numbers. I zapped everything from my old phone when I left Euphoria.”

Thus I was in possession of Austin’s number. It required a beer and an hour to build my courage. I even conjured up a lengthy list of possible scenarios. Finally, I called.

“Austin, it’s Toph.”

“Oh, my God! I never thought I’d hear from you! Are you all right? Please tell me you’re okay.”

I chuckled. “Yes Austin, I’m fine. I’m painting, working and even getting taller. How about you? How was your first semester at Brown?”

“Oh, I’m so glad to hear that. Brown is great. I think it took me the whole semester to get my bearings, but everything is going fine. Toph, I want to see you.”

“You can’t be that desperate. There must be a plethora of pulchritude from which to choose at Brown.”

“Actually, not. But that’s not why I want to see you. I don’t want to have sex with you, I want to talk to you.”

“I’m not good enough anymore?” I couldn’t help teasing.

Austin let out a huge sigh. “Toph please! That’s not what I meant. I’d love to hook up with you, but we need to talk. You’ve got to know that!”

“I’m sorry Austin. It was a lame joke. I know we need to talk. I’ve been thinking about it too. Niles mentioned perhaps a time this weekend. Is that still open?”

“Yes. Quite by accident, I found a little place during a trip I took over winter break. It’s about a two-hour drive for you and maybe three for me. You’ll love it there. Let me book a room. There’s a great restaurant right in their building. We can catch up over dinner. Please say yes, Toph!”

“Of course I’ll say yes. Give me the address. I’ll leave after lunch Saturday and be there by 4 at the latest, probably sooner.”

I agreed because the unfinished business with Austin needed to be addressed. It would be another picket fence for me to smash. Maybe I would even be able to complete his damn portrait! I was not certain about the sex, but decided to play it by ear.

Saturday morning, I visited Naomi. I do not do it as often as I should.

“Well, the good news is I may finally complete the portrait I stored with you last fall. Later today I am meeting my friend Austin.”

“That is good news, Toph. Finishing the portrait, certainly, but meeting your friend is the most important event. You must have left things incomplete with him.”

“Worse! I left him. When I ran off from Floria, he never even knew I had left.”

“Then I am pleased you will meet with him. Changing the subject, when you have a few free hours, I’d like to discuss some ideas with you. After you’re back, let me know when will be good.”

From Naomi’s I went directly to Happy’s for lunch. For once, I got to listen. Betty and Big Joe were discussing his June wedding. I discovered my guess was correct. His dad does have a medical problem. He never named it, but it is cancer for sure. Big Joe has developed a certain inner confidence since the time I first met him. Perhaps it is the seriousness of the potential loss of his father, running the business or his wedding. Any one of those would be enough to do it. The impact of all three has to be sobering.

I stopped back home to pack a few clothes. It was not clear Austin meant for me to stay over with him. Either way, I would be prepared.

It was about 3:30 when I arrived. The front desk called his room. A few minutes later, I was in Austin’s arms. He picked me up and twirled us in a circle.

“Toph! Toph! You can’t believe how happy I am!”

He set my feet back on the floor and held me at arm’s length, looking me over. “Look at you! You’re taller and even thinner. But you look really healthy and fit!”

There was a silent moment followed by another hug. This time, we both had tears streaming down our faces. The hotel staff had bemused looks.

“Where’s your bag? Still in the car? Let me help you. Oh, here’s your room key.” From that, I knew I would be staying the night.

Upon entering our room, I noticed two Queen-sized beds. Turning to Austin, I raised my eyebrows.

“I’m sorry, Toph. I wasn’t sure. I thought I would give you the option.”

I believe my kiss revealed the option I chose. We sat on one of the beds, totally relaxed with each other. We always were. I was pleased to realize that had not changed. I insisted he give me a recap of his first semester. I have to admit, it was enjoyable listening to Austin describe his college experience. As I said, we were completely at ease. He even described the two guys he had been intimate with. As I previously explained, we always had that type of relationship.

Our dinner reservations were for 6:30, which was getting close. We freshened up, then went down to the restaurant. During the meal it was my turn to bring Austin up to date. He was quite surprised I had a boyfriend, if only for a few weeks.

“I didn’t think you had arrived at that emotional level. You certainly weren’t ready for a relationship while in Euphoria. I tried to explain that fact to your mother.”

“What?! My mother?”

“Oh, yes! She cornered me before I could leave for school, right after Labor Day.”

“She cornered you?”

“It was even worse. She accused me of hiding you somewhere! There I was, not even aware you had fled Euphoria, and there she was, offering me a huge sum of money to break off our supposed relationship and rat you out. I even had nightmares about her for weeks.”

“She offered you money to break up with me?”

“A pretty large chunk of change. It actually had me worried.”

“I’m sorry you had to endure that. You didn’t deserve what happened. I should have told you but was all wrapped up in planning my escape. That she even cared surprises me. But you were right realizing I was definitely not ready for anything when I was in Euphoria. Last fall I did eventually find a guy I liked and thought we were in a relationship. Apparently, he didn’t. Right after New Year’s he dumped me.”

Austin laughed. “It’s a good thing he didn’t know your mother. It probably wouldn’t have lasted as long as it did!”

I knew otherwise, and did not laugh. We spent the rest of our dinner filling in all the other little gaps from our time apart.

Austin pressed me against the door as soon as I closed it. The myriad of events, separating us from the last time we were together, vanished in the midst of our hungry kisses. I’m not sure how long that phase of our evening lasted. I do remember what happened when we started to remove our clothing.

“Which bed do you want, Toph?”

“Whichever one you’re sleeping in.”

When Austin entered me, not everything felt familiar. It was like returning home after a long trip. There was the warm familiarity but, at the same time, a touch of difference – a strangeness. None of this subtracted a fig from the ardor we exhibited. Austin was completely involved in our lovemaking. I experienced an uninhibited ease for the first time since our last time in August. Even as I hungrily pushed back meeting each of his thrusts, even as our gazes never left the other’s, and even as our orgasms delivered us into each other’s arms, that slight difference told us it was to be our last coupling.

After a contented night’s sleep, with our limbs intertwined, I was first to awaken. Admiring the beautiful Austin beside me, I realized this should have happened last August. How cruel I had been! I should have stayed the night, then explained I was leaving Euphoria. I thought of these things, lying there, watching him until his eyes opened. Experiencing his broad smile, my wait was made worthwhile.

We showered, then went downstairs for breakfast. I am certain we both realized a relationship between us was impossible. We were somehow content with it. I had the strong impression we will always be friends; always keep in touch. Sometimes, in some lives, nothing more is possible.

In the parking lot, before we got into our cars, Austin gave me a tender kiss. I smiled as we departed, driving to our futures in opposite directions.

. . . . . . . .

I was relieved the unease with Austin, unconsciously percolating inside me, had now passed. The sky was brilliant today, with a warmish southerly breeze. I decided to visit the little park, which I continue to think of as Niles’ park.

My mind was quite devoid of thought, simply enjoying a quiet Sunday afternoon. Sitting on a bench, I realized it was the same one where I had seen the pigeon lady. I looked across to the reflecting bench, but she wasn’t there, just the young illustrator I had spoken with a few weeks ago. Even though Oscar insisted I should paint him, he simply would not emerge. Something was missing. Thinking perhaps a few more sketches were needed, I opened my pad.

It wasn’t until I started sketching that I noticed something was not quite right. From the way he was sitting, it made me believe he was very unhappy. He was certainly talking to himself. I tried to capture the facial expressions as I hurriedly dashed off a few sketches. Perhaps this intriguing person would yet emerge from the blank canvass which had been mocking me. I attempted to empathize with whatever his problem was. He was a poignant – no, delicate – soul but also a beautiful young man. As when I first met him, he appeared so vulnerable sitting over there. My heart went out to him.

He produced, then lit a cigarette, but quickly made a repugnant face. It wasn’t the face he would make if there were enjoyment. No, it was clearly a face of disgust with himself. I guessed he had quit and whatever trouble he was feeling compelled him to relapse. He continued at it, the smoke now wreathing his head. I realized I was doing what Oscar insisted I do. I was creating a story for this scene. I was becoming cognizant of the feelings and inner struggles of someone who was, for once, not me. Thank you again, Oscar!

In truth, I was about to walk over, thinking perhaps I could offer a shoulder to cry on. But before I could lift myself off the bench, a slightly older man approached him. He took the cigarette from Ian, said a few words, then tossed it away. He sat down, gently kissing the younger man. I assumed a lover’s quarrel was the cause of Ian’s distress.

The older one opened a small bag in his hand, showed the contents to Ian, and kissed him again. I couldn’t see what was in the bag, but it could not have been much larger than a pound can of coffee. The younger man beamed and they kissed again. They rose and walked out of the park, hands linked. Instead of seeing a painting, I saw a story.

Returning home, I began to write what turned into a brief narrative about these two. Ian, the younger more fragile one, had recently escaped from a terrible relationship, which he barely survived. The older man was totally in love with him. Sadly, the previous relationship was preventing Ian from being anything but fearful he would relive his last nightmare. I decided to name the older man Miles. It was a subtle modification from Niles, in whose park this all occurred.

Over the next few days, I wrote the story. Beginning with the scene I witnessed, the story stretched a few months into the future. These two were deeply in love, but Ian kept envisioning Miles angry with him for imagined offenses. The love and patience of Miles eventually brought out a sense of balance Ian had been suppressing. Miles won the day; their love became yet closer.

I was proud of my little tale. It even had a happy ending. I couldn’t endure waiting until next month’s TALON meeting, so I called Oscar to schedule a meeting as soon as possible.

. . . . . . . .

I guess this was the month for taking up my items of ‘Old Business.’ I called Nico.

“It’s Toph.”

“Thank God. Niles tells me you look healthy and are terribly busy working and drawing. Not that I don’t believe him, but I must see you myself.”

“Anywhere but Euphoria.”

“How about a Thursday evening dinner at Gordon’s, in the city.”

“It sounds perfect. I’ll meet you there at seven.”

On Thursday, Nico spotted me as soon as I emerged from my car. Exhibiting a wide smile, he came jogging over. I was suddenly in the middle of another embrace from my past. At that moment I realized how close we once were; how much I missed him.

It was a different reunion from the one with Austin. Over dinner, I grasped how frustrated he was. Poor Nico had no choice. After only one semester, he was out of school, possibly for good. I tried to tell him it did not need to be so. He could return when things were under control. Perhaps he could get his older sisters involved in the business. He agreed, explaining he had already approached them. I honestly do not think he saw it as a solution to what he faced. Nico believed his life and future were already written for him.

I asked about his love life. He was very popular in high school. Some of it was certainly from the fact he was a Popendropolis. But even if he were not, Nico’s warm and outgoing personality would have made him popular anyway. I remembered a few girlfriends, but never one from our group. He described a couple of girls from college he had gone with, but now he is not serious with anyone. I have a distinct suspicion an arranged marriage is in his future, and he is avoiding the inevitable for as long as possible. Why do families eat their young?

This made me realize, in a way, I was so much freer. It was also interesting to compare the similar situations of Big Joe and Nico. Each had been groomed to assume his father’s business. Each finds himself thrust into the role much sooner than he expected, and for the nearly identical reason. It is fascinating to note where the similarity ends. Big Joe looks forward to experiencing his challenge, amplified by having a new bride to share it. On the other hand, Nico accepts the crown with sadness and resignation. There probably is a lesson somewhere in there for me to discover. I’ll need to reflect upon it in the future.

In high school we were always looked upon as best friends, and we were. In spite of that, we never had discussions about personal things. Perhaps it was me. I cannot remember being involved that way with anyone. Austin was for sex. Nico was for tennis and organizing our group of friends. I only had personal dialogues with myself. I suppose it was those damn picket fences again.

In a way, Gary has given me a rebirth in New Glory. He has made me confront issues and feelings I always safely avoided. In that respect, Gary has been more of a friend to me than anyone I have ever known. Is it Gary or is it the fact I have changed? Is it Gary who has been the catalyst of that change? It is another question I will need to investigate.

Nico and I shared an enjoyable reunion. We promised to meet again, perhaps for tennis. I doubt it will happen.

. . . . . . . .

On the day of my meeting with Oscar, I was pacing as he read Ian’s story. When finished, he sat me down.

“Toph, please don’t become discouraged by what I’m about to tell you.”

“It’s awful, right?”

“Actually, it’s not. It simply doesn’t hang together. Your characters are very likeable. The various scenes are interesting and each exhibits a dry humor. The problem is, it is not a story. It’s like a series of unrelated episodes. Take this first chapter, where Ian thinks the relationship is over. You have too many internal thoughts; too many explanations of the feelings each boy has. The effect of the chapter is very cute, almost too funny to be sad, but we know it’s supposed to be sad. We see how vulnerable Ian is.”

Then Oscar proceeded to cross out nearly the entire three-page chapter. All that remained were a couple paragraphs.

“There. It conveys everything the original chapter was attempting, but it is so much cleaner. Read it over.”

I did.

“It is better, but how can you write a whole story like this?”

“You didn’t write a whole story in the first place. You only wrote a series of unconnected scenes, filled with adjectives and descriptions which did not unite or move the story at all. Each had a nice central idea. Why don’t you take this home and pare each chapter as I did the first. See what you get.”

I did.

What remained were ten unrelated scenes of only a few hundred words each. The more I read them, the more I realized they did tell the story of a patient lover who helped Ian blossom into the person who was hiding within. It was not a story, but an un-story, which told the tale plainly enough. When I was comfortable, I stashed it into my writing folder alongside the pigeon lady, probably never to be seen again.

However, I was able to paint Ian. What emerged in the final oil was not Ian on the bench. It was a scene of Ian standing, in the embrace of Miles. His back was nestled into Miles chest. His head was tilted back, resting on his lover’s shoulder. Their cheeks were touching. Enwreathed by a coral mist, a crimson background brought focus to their loving expressions. It was peaceful, tender and serene.

Can one become jealous of one’s own creation? These two were sharing something. It made them complete. Have I ever shared anything? I have attempted to break down the little picket fences in my mind. By smashing some of them, I may have shared their yards with each other, but they were compartments yet in my mind.

I understand how much of a weakness this is. However, you cannot begin to realize how difficult it is for me to let someone in – really in. I don’t even know how to begin! Perhaps therapy would help? I’m not sure. I suppose Oscar is my ad hoc therapist for now, but is even he capable of unraveling me?

Why do I have issues with people who become close? Did I somehow, unconsciously, chase Steve away once I flirted with the idea of loving him? My list is beginning to lengthen. Now Niles and Austin have been added to it. As soon as feelings emerged with Niles and Austin, did they become off-limits? Will Gary be next? I have always known Gary has feelings for me. I have certainly felt a puzzling attraction toward him. It has been there since the first time we met. What happens if either of us crosses the line; trespasses onto the fenced-in yard of love?

. . . . . . . .

Toward the end of the month I found myself in the little meeting Naomi had requested. She told me she was getting old. This was patently untrue. She was the same age as Abigail, probably about fifty. Naomi attempted to convince me she was slowing down. What this was really heading toward was a job for me.

Before we got to that, she filled me in on some interesting background. Her parents had purchased the little shop for her, shortly after she finished college. Naomi explained the shop they purchased was about half her current shop/studio. She always wanted to expand, to create a small oasis for artists. Apparently, she even toyed with the idea of a coffee shop onsite. Unfortunately, the adjacent properties never became available, except for the one she had annexed as the studio. Now, ‘slowing down,’ she has given up the dream. This brought her to the job offer.

“How near completion is your apprenticeship at England?”

“Very near. I’ve been involved in every department related to design. I know I’ll be leaving pretty soon. Next, I need to concentrate on completing my portfolio for Abington. I should get right on that and also make sure my application is in order. Time is getting short.”

“You’ll need employment. Why don’t you work here, for me? You can run the store and use the studio when it’s not busy. It will permit me to paint a little more and relax with fewer store hours. You can even continue to work here while you’re in school. That’ll be a big bonus for you. What do you think?”

“To be honest, it would be like a dream come true.”

It was thus I became employed for the third time in my life. Upon arriving, I began discussing the end of my England apprenticeship with Gary. We were home alone, sitting side by side on the sofa. Anders and Joanne were out for dinner and a show.

“I figured you’d be near done by now.”

“Naomi’s offer couldn’t have been made at a better time. It’s perfect, especially being able to work there while in school.”

“Don’t concern yourself with England. I’ll take care of all the paperwork for you. Start at Naomi’s whenever you want.”

“Thanks, Gary, I really appreciate it. I have a question maybe you can help with.”

“Of course! Anything, Toph.”

“Well, you know that money I found in my account?”

Gary smiled and said, “Last fall, when you accused me?”

“Yeah, I’m sorry about that. I had some trust issues back then. Well, the amount of my car loan is pretty much secured with my own money now, from all my paychecks. I want to know where the other money came from. Do you have any ideas how I can find out?”

“Ask at the credit union. They have to know.”

“The loan officer I talked to only identified it as from JP Morgan.”

“She must have been looking at the summary which appears on your account screen. The information is in that wire, somewhere. Go talk to a manager. You’ll find out. Banks frown on unknown funds, certainly such a large amount.”

“Thanks, Gary. That was easy. I’m such a financial simpleton.” We both chuckled and smiled at each other.

“You’re so much more relaxed than you were, even as recently as last month. Do you feel it?”

“Not really. I mean, I believe I’m more comfortable with myself. I’m more comfortable with who I am and where I am. I can feel it in my motivation for paintings. You know, I am going to dig out Austin’s portrait and finish it. I’ve been making lots of sketches in the park and I want to paint many of them too. I think for the first time since I discovered portraits, I have inspiration.”

“No, I believe it’s greater than that. You seem to be more alive than you have been at any time since the day you arrived.”

“I think Oscar has helped. He’s made me think of the inner motivations of other people. By writing a story of what I see and draw, even though I invent it, my mind connects with them. I don’t think it ever happened to me before.”

“The painting of the boyfriends, you recently finished, is stunning. Have you ever considered selling any of your works or putting on a show?”

“I think I would need more works for a show. No, selling has never occurred to me. Anders forced me to accept money for Joanne’s portrait. I still feel funny about that. But I understand what he meant, since he was the one to give it to her.”

We sat, comfortably silent. Gary’s arm rested on top of the cushion behind me. Turning, I looked at him, at this boy I was simultaneously attracted to and wary of. He gave me a smile, which I returned. For a long time we peacefully looked at each other. And then I kissed Gary.

Copyright © 2016 skinnydragon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 44
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Well its about damn time Toph!! Lol! I think Toph and Gary will be a good match. There's definitely attraction, and maybe already love from Gary's side. I hope it works out for them. I'm wondering if maybe Toph's mother somehow found out where he was banking and had the money put into his account?? Or perhaps Gary's father? I need to know! Lol!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

WHOA! Helluva chapter here--I'm exhausted from all of Toph's introspection; he's really digging in deeply, isn't it.
Probably the most striking thing (for me) was how unemotional he seemed over both Austin and Nico. During the love scene with Austin, he's thinking, "that slight difference told us it was to be our last coupling". Seemingly no real regrets, just a recognition that they both have moved on. And Nico's visit, while certainly cordial, was more of the same, with the mention of a tennis game, "that will never happen". That's more than a little emotionally isolated! And yet, it's enough to trigger the analysis that maybe Toph is pushing them all away. Deep stuff!
The new job is great, and is a veer in another--unplanned, but perhaps fortunate--direction. And the source of the funds is problematic. I'm still convinced Gary is in that up to his eyebrows, and isn't to be trusted, but I'm concerned that Toph is about to mistakenly open up to him. We'll see.
All in all, an incredibly complex chapter, delivered in your clear-headed style, with enough missing details to keep us all involved. Damn fine job here, my friend!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

How can you end the chapter like that dragon? And now we won't get an update for weeks yet? Nope, that's it, you simply must write the follow up immediately, right this instant. You're grounded from all other writing until the follow up is written... What's that you say? You don't work for me? You have a life outside of providing free entertainment on GA? Also free entertainment is in fact free and I should just shut up and thank you for another great chapter? But but but... That's a really good point...

 

Please excuse my multiple personality argument with myself.

 

Seriously though this was a great chapter, lots of stuff going on not sure where to begin on commenting. I think I'm more inclined to agree with Robert than jay on the Toph/Gary situation. Even if Toph and Gary together ever ends up being a thing, I think a lot would need to happen before it was a healthy relationship. Gary has a lot to answer for. He seems to be innocent of the mysterious money deposit, however I'm still not convinced. I'm now considering his mother as a potential party involved in all that as well, but the question would still remain, how did she even get access to his confidential information like that.

 

I also thought the follow ups with his old friends was strangely distant. Especially with Nico. It's like he recognized where he held back in the past with these relationships, while he seemed to continue doing the same thing. Nico was for tennis in high school, and apparently still is though Toph doesn't even plan to actually play.

 

Huge hint about the Steve situation was given through Austin. Mom offered him (a presumably wealthy kid) money to break up with Toph. That woman is a freaking nightmare (well Toph's whole family is) and now I'm like triply glad he stayed away from the holiday dinner. Steve was definitely not rich and might have been shallow enough to take money to end the relationship. Though to me that doesn't fully jive with the chain of events as they were presented. There's more to the mystery to be unfolded.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

What ever happened to Steve's roommate??? It seemed like Toph and him were becoming friends, he could've gotten some answers about Steve from him maybe. I wonder if maybe Steve felt guilty enough and if Toph's mom did pay him off to breakup with Toph to maybe give that money to Toph.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I felt strangely unsatisfied by the scene with Austin. I know this is from Toph's point of view and that explains why, but Niles made it sound like Austin was desperate to see Toph, but that didn't come over in the scene. Toph saw it as a closing of a chapter of his life -- Austin as a lover -- but I didn't get a sense of what Austin got out of it. The little frustrations we readers can sometimes get. Maybe I should follow Oscar's advice and come up with my own story as to what Austin wanted :P

 

Toph is developing quickly. While he might not have broken down all those little picket fences in his mind, I think some of the ones remaining have a few holes in them. His life isn't remaining as compartmentalised as it used to be. And that's a good thing.

 

Thank you! I always enjoying seeing a new chapter of this story :worship:

  • Like 2
Link to comment

SkinnyD...you write an excellent story. Great chapter promising lots more to come. Is Toph's mother really a dragon? Did she pay Steve off? If so why set the table to include him? Is GRy "the one"?
Thanks for writing such a good story!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I absolutely LOVED the fact that it was TOPH, and not YOU, Skinny, mayor and most valued VIP of Skinnyland, who wrote Ian and Miles' story!!! :P And what a beautiful story it was! :)

 

I agree with all your other reviewers who said that Toph was pretty distant with both Austin and Nico. Even though Toph and Austin's ease with each other came back pretty quickly, the way they left it, with Toph feeling the 'difference' and knowing they won't be together again, was kind of odd.

 

And with his best friend, Nico -- why would he think they'll break their promise to play tennis together? Or even see each other again at all? Why? He missed Nico, and we know that Nico has missed him. Plus they were (are??) best friends. Why on earth wouldn't they continue to be best friends? Can't Toph have friends from Euphoria as well as New Glory? Does it have to be one or the other?

 

Another awesome chapter, Skinny! :) You always leave me wanting more! :P

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I'm glad Toph has met with Austin and Niko...even if he doesn't see them in future, he's left them both in a good place where each knows the value of the bonds they share. Oscar is doing wonderful things to broaden Toph's horizons both artistically and emotionally...he's just the paternal figure that's been missing in Toph's life.
Is Gary going to be the love bond that's been missing? I think it's too early to tell, there is still a lot of tension which needs resolution there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/18/2016 11:32 PM, jaysalmn said:

Well its about damn time Toph!! Lol! I think Toph and Gary will be a good match. There's definitely attraction, and maybe already love from Gary's side. I hope it works out for them. I'm wondering if maybe Toph's mother somehow found out where he was banking and had the money put into his account?? Or perhaps Gary's father? I need to know! Lol!!

Hey jay, thanks for the comments!

 

Yep, we'll find out where the $$ came from. Toph is on it now. He may be slow, but he's thorough ...haha. :)

 

It is about damn time ...I told you he was slow!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 04/18/2016 11:39 PM, Robert Rex said:

WHOA! Helluva chapter here--I'm exhausted from all of Toph's introspection; he's really digging in deeply, isn't it.

Probably the most striking thing (for me) was how unemotional he seemed over both Austin and Nico. During the love scene with Austin, he's thinking, "that slight difference told us it was to be our last coupling". Seemingly no real regrets, just a recognition that they both have moved on. And Nico's visit, while certainly cordial, was more of the same, with the mention of a tennis game, "that will never happen". That's more than a little emotionally isolated! And yet, it's enough to trigger the analysis that maybe Toph is pushing them all away. Deep stuff!

The new job is great, and is a veer in another--unplanned, but perhaps fortunate--direction. And the source of the funds is problematic. I'm still convinced Gary is in that up to his eyebrows, and isn't to be trusted, but I'm concerned that Toph is about to mistakenly open up to him. We'll see.

All in all, an incredibly complex chapter, delivered in your clear-headed style, with enough missing details to keep us all involved. Damn fine job here, my friend!

Hey Rex!

 

For sure, Toph does a lot of that 'introspection' thing.

 

As for the emotional isolation, Toph might have already turned the page in his mind. But he realized he didn't do it right and took a Mulligan? Hehe ...that's what it looks like.

 

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Toph kissed Gary. Oh how i liked that.
I guess I feel from his reactions and treatment of his friends, possibly he's out grown them to some extent. Toph is growing up and out (and i dont mean he's getting fat!!)
Nice skinny
tim xo

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/19/2016 12:13 AM, spikey582 said:

How can you end the chapter like that dragon? And now we won't get an update for weeks yet? Nope, that's it, you simply must write the follow up immediately, right this instant. You're grounded from all other writing until the follow up is written... What's that you say? You don't work for me? You have a life outside of providing free entertainment on GA? Also free entertainment is in fact free and I should just shut up and thank you for another great chapter? But but but... That's a really good point...

 

Please excuse my multiple personality argument with myself.

 

Seriously though this was a great chapter, lots of stuff going on not sure where to begin on commenting. I think I'm more inclined to agree with Robert than jay on the Toph/Gary situation. Even if Toph and Gary together ever ends up being a thing, I think a lot would need to happen before it was a healthy relationship. Gary has a lot to answer for. He seems to be innocent of the mysterious money deposit, however I'm still not convinced. I'm now considering his mother as a potential party involved in all that as well, but the question would still remain, how did she even get access to his confidential information like that.

 

I also thought the follow ups with his old friends was strangely distant. Especially with Nico. It's like he recognized where he held back in the past with these relationships, while he seemed to continue doing the same thing. Nico was for tennis in high school, and apparently still is though Toph doesn't even plan to actually play.

 

Huge hint about the Steve situation was given through Austin. Mom offered him (a presumably wealthy kid) money to break up with Toph. That woman is a freaking nightmare (well Toph's whole family is) and now I'm like triply glad he stayed away from the holiday dinner. Steve was definitely not rich and might have been shallow enough to take money to end the relationship. Though to me that doesn't fully jive with the chain of events as they were presented. There's more to the mystery to be unfolded.

I can't understand what your problem is spikey! He TOOK the kiss. This was no cliffie. :)

 

But I think you're right that Gary needs to answer a lot of questions.

 

I agree with you it isn't likely Steve was paid to break up. I mean, she expected them for the Xmas dinner and was upset they didn't show.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 04/19/2016 04:13 AM, JayT said:

What ever happened to Steve's roommate??? It seemed like Toph and him were becoming friends, he could've gotten some answers about Steve from him maybe. I wonder if maybe Steve felt guilty enough and if Toph's mom did pay him off to breakup with Toph to maybe give that money to Toph.

Hey jt!

 

You're right about Merle. Maybe Toph will think of asking him, if he ever decides he wants to know. ;)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 04/19/2016 04:29 AM, Graeme said:

I felt strangely unsatisfied by the scene with Austin. I know this is from Toph's point of view and that explains why, but Niles made it sound like Austin was desperate to see Toph, but that didn't come over in the scene. Toph saw it as a closing of a chapter of his life -- Austin as a lover -- but I didn't get a sense of what Austin got out of it. The little frustrations we readers can sometimes get. Maybe I should follow Oscar's advice and come up with my own story as to what Austin wanted :P

 

Toph is developing quickly. While he might not have broken down all those little picket fences in his mind, I think some of the ones remaining have a few holes in them. His life isn't remaining as compartmentalised as it used to be. And that's a good thing.

 

Thank you! I always enjoying seeing a new chapter of this story :worship:

Thanks Graeme!

 

Yes, what DID Austin get out of the meeting? He couldn't have merely needed a hookup. Could the resolution of whatever they were have been enough of a draw? It doesn't seem convincing. Hmmm.

 

I agree that Toph is moving pretty quickly in the emotional maturity department. CG mentions Oscar may be the father image Toph had always been missing. A distinct possibility.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 04/19/2016 11:35 AM, Coastguard said:

SkinnyD...you write an excellent story. Great chapter promising lots more to come. Is Toph's mother really a dragon? Did she pay Steve off? If so why set the table to include him? Is GRy "the one"?

Thanks for writing such a good story!

Thanks for the kind words, Coastguard.

 

Oh my! Toph's mother. The only thing we really know about her so far is that she tried to commandeer Clarissa's wedding. At least Teddy put a stop to that. I hope we meet Teddy someday.

 

As far as GRy goes, we only have seen one kiss. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 04/19/2016 02:42 PM, Lisa said:

I absolutely LOVED the fact that it was TOPH, and not YOU, Skinny, mayor and most valued VIP of Skinnyland, who wrote Ian and Miles' story!!! :P And what a beautiful story it was! :)

 

I agree with all your other reviewers who said that Toph was pretty distant with both Austin and Nico. Even though Toph and Austin's ease with each other came back pretty quickly, the way they left it, with Toph feeling the 'difference' and knowing they won't be together again, was kind of odd.

 

And with his best friend, Nico -- why would he think they'll break their promise to play tennis together? Or even see each other again at all? Why? He missed Nico, and we know that Nico has missed him. Plus they were (are??) best friends. Why on earth wouldn't they continue to be best friends? Can't Toph have friends from Euphoria as well as New Glory? Does it have to be one or the other?

 

Another awesome chapter, Skinny! :) You always leave me wanting more! :P

Thanks so much Lisa!

 

I actually found myself reading "Ian and Miles" again, myself!

 

I really think Toph is trying to separate himself from all things Euphoric. He realized he didn't to it nicely in August. I speculated in the reply to Rex's review that maybe he took a Mulligan. :o

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 04/20/2016 03:28 AM, ColumbusGuy said:

I'm glad Toph has met with Austin and Niko...even if he doesn't see them in future, he's left them both in a good place where each knows the value of the bonds they share. Oscar is doing wonderful things to broaden Toph's horizons both artistically and emotionally...he's just the paternal figure that's been missing in Toph's life.

Is Gary going to be the love bond that's been missing? I think it's too early to tell, there is still a lot of tension which needs resolution there.

First, I'm so happy you found Toph CG!

 

I can't disagree with any of your comments. I think you really understand what's going on in Toph's mind. Maybe because you binge-read the chapters, the continuity in his poor brain was more apparent to you.

 

Whichever, I'm tickled to see you reviewing again, and especially Toph.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 04/20/2016 10:33 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Toph kissed Gary. Oh how i liked that.

I guess I feel from his reactions and treatment of his friends, possibly he's out grown them to some extent. Toph is growing up and out (and i dont mean he's getting fat!!)

Nice skinny

tim xo

Thanks tim!

 

I think you've got Toph pretty well pegged.

While he surely has a lot of growing up to do, he is advancing beyond the way he was in high school. He has moved into a new dimension and the old friends don't fit anymore.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

A very densely packed chapter, where Toph is learning more about himself, and we do, too. I can only concur with all the previous comments but I must admit I am still a little apprehensive regarding the story's title and how all this introspection and growth resolves into an empty year. Only 6 months to go before I find out! Thanks, Skinny!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/23/2016 05:26 AM, jess30519 said:

A very densely packed chapter, where Toph is learning more about himself, and we do, too. I can only concur with all the previous comments but I must admit I am still a little apprehensive regarding the story's title and how all this introspection and growth resolves into an empty year. Only 6 months to go before I find out! Thanks, Skinny!

Thanks jess!

 

Densely packed but sort of pivotal. With all his loose ends attended to, I wonder in which direction he will now move?

Oh, right ...he kissed Gary.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

For this review I'll just stick to commenting on all the comments. Many have pointed out Toph's closing the door with Austin and Nico, and I have to agree it's an important element here. One thing that you set up way back in Chapter 1 as a fleeting reference comes back here in lovely confirmation: Austin did have feelings Toph, and Toph knew it but shut them out. Now, as to why…? I'll come back to it.

 

With Nico and the tennis thing, the carelessness with which he tosses out the notion that it will never happens means a couple things to me. One, he will get out of the relationship exactly as much as he puts into it: zilch; and two, it means Toph is still lost within himself and has much growing yet to do. That may explain the Austin feelings and his willful ignoring of them. Okay, nineteen – I get it, and it's appropriate for your character to be in this spot with himself and others. (Incidentally, this ties into the question of what happened to Steve's roommate and Toph's closeness with him: answer is the same, Toph gives nothing to the relationship and gets nothing in return. Disposable in his mind.)

 

Now, a proper reply to all of this speculation and proselytizing on my part is for you to ready the next chapter for us! Don't waste time here, other than a nice 'thank you' ;)

 

Well done!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/27/2016 01:37 AM, AC Benus said:

For this review I'll just stick to commenting on all the comments. Many have pointed out Toph's closing the door with Austin and Nico, and I have to agree it's an important element here. One thing that you set up way back in Chapter 1 as a fleeting reference comes back here in lovely confirmation: Austin did have feelings Toph, and Toph knew it but shut them out. Now, as to why…? I'll come back to it.

 

With Nico and the tennis thing, the carelessness with which he tosses out the notion that it will never happens means a couple things to me. One, he will get out of the relationship exactly as much as he puts into it: zilch; and two, it means Toph is still lost within himself and has much growing yet to do. That may explain the Austin feelings and his willful ignoring of them. Okay, nineteen – I get it, and it's appropriate for your character to be in this spot with himself and others. (Incidentally, this ties into the question of what happened to Steve's roommate and Toph's closeness with him: answer is the same, Toph gives nothing to the relationship and gets nothing in return. Disposable in his mind.)

 

Now, a proper reply to all of this speculation and proselytizing on my part is for you to ready the next chapter for us! Don't waste time here, other than a nice 'thank you' ;)

 

Well done!

thank you ;)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I don't think that Toph knows what he wants yet and is still trying to figure it all out. There is a certain amount of things happening without a lot of effort being put into them, such as jobs coming and going and his relationships seems to reflect that also. I am interested to see how he is going to evolve when he finds something that he wants but is not easily attainable. The whole year seems to be about finding aspects of himself that were hidden, much like the way he paints. I am anxious to see what colors will evolve in him next.
Thank you for an interesting read.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/27/2016 08:31 AM, TasteofHome said:

I don't think that Toph knows what he wants yet and is still trying to figure it all out. There is a certain amount of things happening without a lot of effort being put into them, such as jobs coming and going and his relationships seems to reflect that also. I am interested to see how he is going to evolve when he finds something that he wants but is not easily attainable. The whole year seems to be about finding aspects of himself that were hidden, much like the way he paints. I am anxious to see what colors will evolve in him next.

Thank you for an interesting read.

Hey! Thanks for reading and leaving a review!

 

You have made an excellent point!

Things are happening TO Toph, but we haven't seen him DO too much beyond lots of introspection and, of course, discovery.

 

Let's hope, as he evolves from his colors, we see him enjoy the satisfaction of attaining something he desires, but has to fight for.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/19/2016 11:27 AM, Randy Wade said:

About time Gary made a move. i hope toph doesn't run. Gary's the one.

Thanks, Randy!

 

Yeah, it seems we're on the edge of something happening--finally. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..