Jump to content
    skinnydragon
  • Author
  • 3,144 Words
  • 4,727 Views
  • 36 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Toph's Empty Year - 16. Early April

Texas.

Breathtaking. The sun was not yet above the horizon but brightly reflected off clouds in the distance. I perceived roses, grays and a slight steel-blue cast, reflecting the gulf below. Some higher clouds, nearer shore and in slight silhouette, showed bright rose tinges as the sunlight caught their rearward billows. Breathtaking. The sun was not yet above the horizon but delicately highlighted the hair splayed on the pillows beside me. I perceived sandy browns and dirty blonds, enhanced by the light now flooding our room. The colors outside seemed to warm as they entered the room, reflecting yellow, lemon and gold off the wall. I was not sure how long I had been observing every particle of his visible body, for my rapt attention precluded time.

When dawn eventually arrived, she did so bashfully. The full face of the sun was reduced to a blinding slit of light between the horizon and the bottom of distant clouds. While those enchanted moments had fled along with the darkness, night did not abandon me. I relived, yet again, the most rewarding and gentle lovemaking I had ever experienced. The panoply of colors which had surrounding us was beyond anything I had ever experienced.

Our first time, in New Glory, delivered what was required. Gary seemed to sense my needs and his lovemaking calmed my agitated state. My colors stabilized along with my temperament. The time pressure I had created was gently released, allowing me to consider my options from a more logical perspective. I don’t mean to make light of it. The sex was good, but we had not yet begun to learn each other’s physical and emotional demands for the long haul.

The next morning began a wicked few days of arrangements and preparation. While Gary was making airline and car rental reservations, I was describing the vacation to Naomi. She easily agreed to give me time off and thought it was a good idea to take this break before finishing my portfolio tasks. She also urged me to carry along enough sketchpads and pencils, since we would be a little remote.

I still didn’t know our exact destination when I had lunch at Happy’s. I wanted Betty to be aware I was to be gone. I only knew it would be on the gulf coast of Texas. Later, when I began to worry about what to bring, Gary advised packing lightly.

“Most of the time will be spent on the beach. Bathing suits, board shorts, tank tops, tees, sandals, sunglasses, sunscreen and a few hats will be enough. All the usual stuff you would want. It won’t be summertime, so a few light jackets for the evenings would be wise. As far as restaurant clothes, be very informal.”

“Where exactly are we going?”

Gary was on his laptop, finalizing airline reservations, so he brought up Google Maps to show me. He pointed.

“There’s Corpus Christi. That’s Padre Island, which is divided into various local names. We’ll be right there.”

He pointed to a spot on Padre Island, pretty much opposite Corpus Christi.

“You were able to get reservations so quickly?”

“We’ll be staying at a condo owned by my uncle. I go there when I need a break. He only uses it in September and October. Family members use it other parts of the year.”

After a quick shopping splurge, we were ready to leave. The air travel required a few connections, but we did arrive late afternoon in Corpus Christi at an airport larger than I had anticipated. Gary explained there was a huge naval air installation nearby. After picking up our car, we stopped at a friendly looking restaurant to eat before heading over the bridge. Finally, we arrived on the first night of our vacation.

I assumed we would both be tired and if we had sex, it would be perfunctory. How wrong I was. We had stopped for a few six packs before arriving. The room was stunning; the view even more so. We were on the fifth floor, which was the highest. Outside our living room was a balcony which overlooked the beach. The two of us were drawn to it and allowed ourselves to relax with a beer and the sound of breaking waves until darkness settled in.

Soon we were resting comfortably in bed, with me contentedly in his arms. Gary began an exploration of my body which seemed to awaken my nerve endings. Each kiss, each caress ramped up the sensations coursing through my body. When he entered me, everything made sense, was complete, was perfect. I was in virgin emotional territory.

The room was now in the full light of morning as Gary’s eyes opened. I smiled.

“Good morning.”

“How long have you been awake?”

“Hours?”

“Seriously?”

“It was still dark when I woke up.”

“What have you been doing? Having second thoughts? Worrying about your portfolio?”

I chuckled. “None of that. I’ve been looking at you.”

“For hours?”

“Mm-hmm. I was watching the colors shift as the sun rose.”

“Maybe we should shower and find breakfast?”

“Probably.”

I bent over and kissed him. “Last night was perfect. I hope you enjoyed yourself as much as I did.”

“Probably more so. It was a little magical, wasn’t it?”

We grabbed breakfast at a hotel a few places down the beach. It wasn’t particularly beach weather, but it was pleasantly in the seventies and was reasonably calm. That day began a lazy routine for us.

Gary’s idea was to spend most of the time basking in the sun, not doing much of anything. His uncle’s condo unit was in a small building right on the beach. There was a pool at the condo but I thought, why be in a pool when you’re at the shore?

The evenings saw us with a glass of beer or wine on the patio to relax and watch the sky display an agglomeration of colors till darkness took over. We would then retire and make love. It was a beautiful pattern we fell into. And speaking of falling, I was beginning to love Gary a little more each day. The sex was always romantic and caring. Love and delight were always in his eyes. The General had captured my heart. For the first time since Steve, I began to think of forever. I was determined this wasn’t going to be a repeat of the dangerous threshold I had backed away from in the past.

The first few days were very pleasant. I made sure he experienced what I had awakened to that first morning. Thereafter, Gary and I wandered outside for sunrise, which explodes across the Gulf. There always seemed to be broken clouds on the horizon; probably thunderstorms brewing for somewhere else. It made each sunrise a unique, colorful and beautiful experience. I even grabbed a few photos every single morning with my phone, thinking I might discover a sky I could use in some painting. I began to notice a cute little pattern.

This pattern was in the behavior of kids. I’m sure there is no school building too near here, so they must have traveled some way, perhaps even across a bridge from the mainland. But each morning before sunrise, cars and pickups would materialize on the beach with high-school-aged kids appearing. They would sit in the sand and watch the sunrise. Some would briefly break into and out of the water, some would only sit and talk. Several were obvious couples, but there were also small groups of friends simply enjoying the morning and maybe a little Frisbee. Then at about 7 to 7:30, they would all vanish, no doubt having headed off to school. Late afternoon would find them back. Some would even stay until sunset, accompanied by coolers packed with light picnics. One pickup even carried its own small grill in the back. The boys would dutifully unload it, cook whatever they had brought, and it would be cooled by the time they left.

During this afternoon time we would also see some younger kids who weren’t old enough to drive. Sometimes they would skateboard down the concrete walk that ran for miles at the back of the beach. A few, we noticed, had arrived on bikes. Their homes and school couldn’t have been too far away.

On the third day, Gary and I were sitting on our blanket when I felt the urge to kiss him. I normally didn’t do this in public, but everything simply felt so wonderful. I think I was finally starting to recharge and loosen up. As I pulled back from the kiss, I noticed two boys approaching. They were both watching the kiss. I tensed up, not knowing what to expect. We were in Texas after all. I didn’t really think they were any particular threat, since they were both only about fourteen. One was a cute blond and the other was an even cuter brunette. Surprisingly, they dumped their stuff about 10 feet from us. This was rather close, by the standards of the huge and mostly empty beach.

They shucked their backpacks, then footwear, then school shirts and finally khakis, revealing board shorts underneath. Totally ignoring us, they took off for the water and frolicked for a while. When they returned, they lay on their towels and quietly talked, then repeated their water fun. Next time they were back on their towels, drinking up whatever sun they could, drying out. It was then they packed up to leave, but both looked directly at us. I noticed they had dropped bikes at the end of the steps, which they walked back up to the concrete strip and soon rapidly disappeared into the distance, no doubt to get home in time for supper.

Nothing was too unusual about it, except for the stares they gave us upon arrival and departure. The next day they were back. Gary and I weren’t kissing this time when they arrived. However, they both looked at us again, and then dropped their stuff. It was pretty much a repeat of the previous day, including the final stare before they left.

The third day things were a little different. After stripping down to board shorts, they looked at each other for a moment, and then walked over to us. The brunette spoke to me.

“Are you boyfriends?”

“Yes, we are.”

He turned to the blond. “Told ya.” Then they scampered away and into the surf. They pretty much ignored us until it was time to leave. They both looked at us again.

This time the blond blushed a little.

“Bye!” Then they were off.

That evening Gary and I decided to have our meal in Corpus Christi. Our dinner conversation actually revolved about those boys. Gary figured they were together too and felt safer camping close to us. I wasn’t completely convinced they were boyfriends. After all, they were awfully young.

“I’ll bet they’re really close best friends.”

He smirked. “Shall we bet?”

“You’re on!”

We decided to set up our blanket in a different location the next day, to see if they would park in the same spot or set up near us again.

Sure enough, they found us and again dropped their stuff about 10 feet away. This time, after they were in their shorts I motioned them over. When they ran up, I looked at the brunette. I turned the tables on him. “Are you boyfriends?”

He broke into a big smile, while the blond blushed a little.

“He’s my boyfriend, but I’m not his.”

Gary and I quickly looked at each other. Then Gary said, “OK. Go have fun in the water, but when you’re done, you’ve got to explain that to us.” They giggled and took off. Gary looked at me. “Do you have any idea what he meant?”

“I have a few guesses, but I suppose we’ll have to wait to find out.” While the boys were in the water, I ran back to the condo, retrieving my sketchpad.

By the time they returned and dried off, I had completed decent sketches of each of them. Instead of simply coming over to us, they brought their stuff and dropped it right next to our blanket.

“Is this OK?” The blond boy had a hopeful look on his face.

“Sure!”

“Whoah! That’s us!” The brunette had noticed my sketches. “Dude, you’re SO good!”

“Thanks. Now, you promised to explain how you two can be boyfriends in only one direction.”

The cute brunette began.

“Well, he likes me enough to be boyfriends, and I sure like him. The problem is J’s parents. They go to this crazy little church J doesn’t even like. But every week all they dump on are gay people. They don’t even realize we’re friends anymore. They actually told J to stay away from me, but he can’t resist me.” He broke out into a devilish smile, while the blond boy rolled his eyes and briefly stuck out his tongue.

“J figures if I’m his boyfriend, it would make him officially gay and, of course, he can’t be gay. So while he’s my boyfriend, I’m stuck with just being his best friend. It works out pretty good though.”

“Do you guys ever kiss?”

The blond answered this time. “Every chance we get.”

“Well then, what does it matter what you call it?”

“See. That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you!” the blond boy said again to the brunette. They were beyond adorable together.

For the rest of our vacation, the boys were our beach neighbors. They didn’t carry on too many conversations with us – after all, we were old people. They did converse a lot between themselves, and it was a ton of interesting stuff. Of course, we only understood a part of what they were saying. Each evening our meal conversation became the deciphering of that day’s overheard comments. In addition to my sketchpad, I began filling up a small notebook with everything they said. I had no idea why, but it was so delightful, I didn’t want to ever forget a single word.

Toward the end of our stay in Texas, I received a text from brother, for the first time ever. I knew Charles had gotten the number from Niles, so receiving the text from him didn’t completely shock me. And, of course, we were never adversarial.

“Toph! Just a quick text to see how you’re doing.”

“Fine, Charles. Actually Gary and I are on the gulf coast of Texas right now, having a little vacation.”

“Gary?”

“He’s a guy I’m sort of falling for.”

“Really? I’m happy for you Toph.”

“Me too. This vacation has brought us much closer together.”

“Isn’t this your first ever vacation? You never took those summer trips your friends all did.”

“Haha! You’re right! Gary makes me do all sorts of stuff I previously objected to.”

“Then you have a good man there, Toph. How serious are you?”

“I’m falling in love with him, Charles. I’ve been resisting him since we first met in September, but my walls have totally crumbled.”

“If for nothing else than removing your walls, I’m grateful to, him Toph. I always worried about you.”

We texted, off and on, for several days. Most of his texts were like that, but we both began to warm to each other, and they became even more casual. I had read some of them to Gary, who asked me all kinds of questions about him.

Charles also began talking about his latest girlfriend. I had never paid too much attention to the love life of this sibling. Apparently he always had trouble making relationships stick. He was very hopeful, with this girl, that would all change. He also became very gossipy with the preparations and intrigues surrounding Clarissa’s wedding. Charles also liked Teddy very much. This was another bit of information which made me eager to meet, and possibly befriend, Teddy. Since I began texting so much, the need for a more texting-friendly keyboard became apparent.

The shocker came in the last few days we were in Texas. I received a text from Clarence. Of course, he was always my enemy. There was never a dinner where he and my father hadn’t conspired to savage me. Probably more than anyone else, Clarence was responsible for my wall of emotionless sarcasm.

“Hey Toph, it’s Clarence. How are you doing?”

“Pretty good until I received your text.”

“Ouch! But deserved. I see you still keep your tongue sharpened.”

“What do you want, Clarence?”

“I need to apologize. I was never a very nice older brother to you.”

“That’s an understatement. Why the sudden pang of conscience?”

“I’m growing up, Toph. In a few months, I’ll be out of school and working on Wall Street. I don’t want this thing between us to continue. When you boycotted the family at Christmas it started slowly eating at me. I spoke with Austin. He said you’re different now.”

“Different?”

“Warmer.”

“Probably because I am away from you.”

“Ouch again!”

After that little exchange, the texting ceased until I read it back to Gary that night. We had a two-part conversation about it. The first part consisted of Gary trying to make me see how important it was to have close ties with my family. He was so concerned, it led to another wonderful lovemaking session. In spite of that, I remained unconvinced.

The next day, we had a frank conversation specifically about Clarence. I must admit, Gary understands the psychology of people much better than I. He pretty much broke down the relationship between Clarence and me. This was the first time I had ever attempted to understand what made Clarence tick. With Gary’s help, my brother’s insecurities and my resentments were painted as vividly as anything I had ever put on canvass.

Before, whenever thinking of my brother, I never had any ruth. Now, with Gary’s insight, he became a complex individual, warranting more delicate, or nuanced reactions from me.

I texted Clarence the following day, our last in Texas.

“I accept your apology and apologize to you for resenting you when I was younger.”

“Thank you, Toph! Thank you. Will you attend Clarissa’s wedding?”

“Yes, certainly. Assuming I’m invited, of course.”

“Oh, you will be. I’ll see you there.”

Warmth.

Warmth is what I felt at the end of our time in Texas. There was the warmth of my body from the sun, the warmth of some of my family reaching out to me, the warmth of the goodbye from our fourteen-year-old friends, and most importantly, the warmth of the very good person I was falling so completely in love with.

Those warm feelings and that incredible final night of making love with Gary were enough to guarantee me fond memories of Texas, forever.

Copyright © 2016 skinnydragon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 38
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Great chapter! So glad that Toph and Gary took that vacation together. I kno in my heart they're meant for each other. Also glad that he's starting to make amends with some of his family members. Clarence had to have been a difficult one. Not sure if he would have if it had not been for Gary. Not sure that he'll ever be able to make amends with his mother. She doesn't seem like the type that could ever be trusted. The wedding should be very interesting.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Warmth was definitely the theme this chapter, that and observation. Interesting contrast of Toph healing relationships with his brothers a bit while they see the two boys struggling with the one's parents extreme religious beliefs that is driving a wedge between the boy and his family. You really are good at making those subtle comparisons without forcing them upon the reader.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

YAY!!!!! I am having a case of the warm-fuzzies from reading this chapter!!! Toph deserves Gary...hopefully Gary is feeling the same way Toph is...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I absolutely loved those opening few paragraph. A beautiful and evocative set of descriptions. Thank you! :worship:

 

I'm a little surprised by Clarence. I can see how Toph's boycott of Christmas would have changed the family dynamics and made Clarence think, but trying to reconnect by text message seems still a bit cold. I'm not sure how it could have been done better, but Clarence really felt the way he did, I would have thought a face-to-face encounter first would have been best. That way Toph could see his expression and hopefully get a real sense of the remorse being felt (assuming he's actually remorseful).

 

What was more surprising was the short narrative about how Gary analysed the relationship between Toph and Clarence. That analysis would have been flawed because Gary could only get Toph's view as to what had happened, and that means it will have been distorted. Yes, he may have some hints as to why Clarence has been the way he has, but Gary is unlikely to have worked it out in detail. I hope Gary only suggested things to Toph about his brother, because there's still the possibility that Clarence isn't as nice as he's trying to make out. I hope for Toph's sake he is, but I can see the possibility that he's not.

 

Overall, a really enjoying chapter with, as usual, lots of depth in what's going on. Well done! :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I love the way you opened this one, SD...such a poetic way to describe the budding romance through sceic detail. Never been near the Gulf, or any ocean, just Lake Erie--not the same thing by a long shot. :)
I'm so glad that Toph is beginning to forge better relationships with his siblings, but I think the parents are going to be a tougher scenario.
The boys from the beach were a wonderful touch, showing us that despite difficulties, they can find love together.
Warm and gushy feelings here, my friend!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I'm with Graeme here, the whole deal with Clarence is very fishy. Makes me think Gary has been visiting Toph's family and knows what Clarence is like. :o Charles may have been pestering Clarence, although it makes me wonder why he never interfered with his bad treatment before. Perhaps with Toph gone Clance began picking on other family members at Christmas and they suddenly realized what an arsehole he is.
He got off much to easy - a few texts and Toph accepts his apology? For a whole life of snide remarks and nasty put-downs? And he expects all will be hunky-dory when they meet at Clarissa's wedding? And what's all this about Toph resenting Clarence? Did Gary understand this from what Toph told him? Why don't we get told what caused the resentment originally, since I assume Gary told him that too? :pissed:
While I'm happy for Toph he had a wonderful vacation and is falling in love, I'm not sold on Gary yet. His repeat on the whole you-need-your-family deal alarmed me and brought back the feeling of manipulation. :angry: I'm glad Toph remained unconvinced. While Gary may love Toph and have his best interests at heart, I can't shake the suspicion Gary wants Toph to return to Euphoria because then he would fit better into Gary's circles. He can be a nice little trophy 'wife' who paints and looks good on Gary's arm. :rolleyes:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Definitely a great feel-good chapter! A spectacular vacation, a deepening relationship, a casual bonding with adorable boys on the beach, the re-ignition of relationships with the brothers, Toph doing some relaxed sketching that seems to be strengthen him as well as giving him additional appreciation for colors and textures around him...all in all, it's too good. Perhaps too good to be true?
I'm still wanting to unscrew the port in Gary's head and get inside to poke around. I'm still not trustful of the guy. He always seems to know exactly the right thing to say or do--and it seems to be more than just because he's in tune with the circumstances. On their lovemaking: "It was a little magical, wasn't it?" On Toph's brother: a review of the importance of family and analysis of why Clarence is the way he is (and presumably he's not THAT familiar with him, or the all the reasons for the schism with Toph). And a LACK of analysis of the role of the brother-in-law. Gary's responses strike me as signs of a master manipulator--too glib, too easy--and I hope you prove me wrong. I'm hoping that the storm clouds Toph sees on the horizon aren't a metaphor for storms coming into Toph's life because of Gary.
Finely nuanced chapter, and damn fine writing here. You captured the lazy spirit of the relaxed beaches in Texas well (as their ads used to say "Texas is a whole 'nother country!"), as well as the intensifying feelings Toph is carrying for both Gary and his craft. Well done!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Warmth and pretty colours all through rose-coloured glasses? It's all a little too pretty, very feel good, but that's vacations. Will it all change in the face of real life? I hope not.

 

Great chapter, it was good for the bit of the romantic I have lurking inside.

 

tim

  • Like 1
Link to comment

A glowing and gentle chapter to fill everyone with some contentment, radiance, and comfort. And perhaps enough to see Toph actually happy. He hasn't seen life that way in forever, so this chapter is a grand embrace, a memorable hug. Thank you for this chapter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Oh SD, you had me going, you really did. I was getting caught up in the romance of the whole thing. Toph was finally letting his guard down, falling in love with someone who appeared to be treating him right. Likd he'd said there'd been something between them since the start of the story, so it was good to see that potential relationship get explored.

 

As others have stated, you captured the beauty of the Gulf Coast wonderfully, the writing of those descriptions was top not. Everything seemed absolutely blissful. I especially liked the section where they interact with those two boys on the beach. It was really cute.

 

Yes it was all too perfect. Then the texts start coming in, not just from Charles, the "good" one, but also Clarence, one of Toph's two major antagonists from his family. And oh look he's completely changed his tune from the previous 19 years of their relationship because Toph (rightly) didn't show up for the Christmas dinner. So here's Toph suspicious as anyone would be nice that his brother suddenly changed personality in 3 months. Anyone wouldn't buy that and keep their distance. But in steps Gary, who again starts spouting off about family connections, how Toph hasn't looked at it all from the right point of view, blah blah blah.

 

It immediately changed the entire tone of the chapter, and everything that's been building between them. Toph let his guard down and Gary is back to his manipulations. Or at least that's all I can see now. I would love to be proven wrong, but I don't think I am. Too bad, cause I was very nearly stating to like Gary again.

 

Very well done chapter SD!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

So very pleasing: the description of the dawn colours washing over Gary as he lies next to a very mellow and contented Toph. What a great way to start a much needed relaxing holiday! I got the feeling that he continues to open up his heart and his mind to others around him. Toph is becoming more mature. Nice interaction with the kids, too. All very low key and just what he needed. Gary is to be thanked for that!

 

Not even the texts from his brothers put him off balance, and that's another sign of Toph's new stability. Sounds like Charles has had the same difficulties with relationships as well. Perhaps all of his siblings are the same. Even Clarence appears to be making an effort to undo the admitted damage he inflicted on Toph in earlier times. A little surprising how quickly and easily Toph adjusted his attitude toward Clarence, even with Gary's poking. I guess there is a nuance between having no ruth and being ruthless! Still, Clarissa's wedding ought to be interesting!

 

A most enjoyable chapter, Skinny. Thanks!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/05/2016 02:34 PM, jaysalmn said:

Great chapter! So glad that Toph and Gary took that vacation together. I kno in my heart they're meant for each other. Also glad that he's starting to make amends with some of his family members. Clarence had to have been a difficult one. Not sure if he would have if it had not been for Gary. Not sure that he'll ever be able to make amends with his mother. She doesn't seem like the type that could ever be trusted. The wedding should be very interesting.

Thanks jay!

 

Making contact with his family was sort of the last barrier for Toph, although he had mentioned the 'possibility' a chapter or so ago. I think the jury is still out on how far or how complete it will be. But it certainly does point to growth on his part.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 06/05/2016 02:36 PM, Lux Apollo said:

Warmth was definitely the theme this chapter, that and observation. Interesting contrast of Toph healing relationships with his brothers a bit while they see the two boys struggling with the one's parents extreme religious beliefs that is driving a wedge between the boy and his family. You really are good at making those subtle comparisons without forcing them upon the reader.

Thanks so much lux!

 

Damn! I can't slide anything past you. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 06/05/2016 02:39 PM, JayT said:

YAY!!!!! I am having a case of the warm-fuzzies from reading this chapter!!! Toph deserves Gary...hopefully Gary is feeling the same way Toph is...

Thanks jt!

 

I think Toph and Gary seem to be firmly on track now. It was a good idea to vacation at this point in their relationship.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 06/05/2016 02:53 PM, Graeme said:

I absolutely loved those opening few paragraph. A beautiful and evocative set of descriptions. Thank you! :worship:

 

I'm a little surprised by Clarence. I can see how Toph's boycott of Christmas would have changed the family dynamics and made Clarence think, but trying to reconnect by text message seems still a bit cold. I'm not sure how it could have been done better, but Clarence really felt the way he did, I would have thought a face-to-face encounter first would have been best. That way Toph could see his expression and hopefully get a real sense of the remorse being felt (assuming he's actually remorseful).

 

What was more surprising was the short narrative about how Gary analysed the relationship between Toph and Clarence. That analysis would have been flawed because Gary could only get Toph's view as to what had happened, and that means it will have been distorted. Yes, he may have some hints as to why Clarence has been the way he has, but Gary is unlikely to have worked it out in detail. I hope Gary only suggested things to Toph about his brother, because there's still the possibility that Clarence isn't as nice as he's trying to make out. I hope for Toph's sake he is, but I can see the possibility that he's not.

 

Overall, a really enjoying chapter with, as usual, lots of depth in what's going on. Well done! :D

Thank you Graeme!

 

Thank you especially for your kind words about the opening paragraphs.

 

I'm not sure how much analysis Gary did with the Toph/Clarence relationship. Relationships are his job after all and the resentment of middle brothers to the youngest brother is a pretty well researched topic. Maybe he simply allowed Toph take a fresh look, from a different perspective.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 06/05/2016 02:55 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

I love the way you opened this one, SD...such a poetic way to describe the budding romance through sceic detail. Never been near the Gulf, or any ocean, just Lake Erie--not the same thing by a long shot. :)

I'm so glad that Toph is beginning to forge better relationships with his siblings, but I think the parents are going to be a tougher scenario.

The boys from the beach were a wonderful touch, showing us that despite difficulties, they can find love together.

Warm and gushy feelings here, my friend!

Thanks CG!

 

Thank you for you kind comments about the opening scene.

 

Depending where I am, I sometimes can view sunsets over Lake Erie, and they are beautiful. However, sunrise over the gulf, from the Texas side, is something to behold. I tried to do it justice.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 06/05/2016 03:52 PM, Timothy M. said:

I'm with Graeme here, the whole deal with Clarence is very fishy. Makes me think Gary has been visiting Toph's family and knows what Clarence is like. :o Charles may have been pestering Clarence, although it makes me wonder why he never interfered with his bad treatment before. Perhaps with Toph gone Clance began picking on other family members at Christmas and they suddenly realized what an arsehole he is.

He got off much to easy - a few texts and Toph accepts his apology? For a whole life of snide remarks and nasty put-downs? And he expects all will be hunky-dory when they meet at Clarissa's wedding? And what's all this about Toph resenting Clarence? Did Gary understand this from what Toph told him? Why don't we get told what caused the resentment originally, since I assume Gary told him that too? :pissed:

While I'm happy for Toph he had a wonderful vacation and is falling in love, I'm not sold on Gary yet. His repeat on the whole you-need-your-family deal alarmed me and brought back the feeling of manipulation. :angry: I'm glad Toph remained unconvinced. While Gary may love Toph and have his best interests at heart, I can't shake the suspicion Gary wants Toph to return to Euphoria because then he would fit better into Gary's circles. He can be a nice little trophy 'wife' who paints and looks good on Gary's arm. :rolleyes:

Thanks Tim!

 

I think there is no doubt Charles was behind Clarence's texts. After all, he HAD to be the one to give him Toph's number. Since Charles always worried about Toph (as he said) and discovered through his texts that Toph was stable and moving on, it is distinctly possible, as the older brother, that he leaned on Clarence a bit. I think that is a more logical conclusion than putting Gary into the mix, don't you?

 

Anyway, Gary's been sorta clean lately :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 06/05/2016 07:09 PM, Robert Rex said:

Definitely a great feel-good chapter! A spectacular vacation, a deepening relationship, a casual bonding with adorable boys on the beach, the re-ignition of relationships with the brothers, Toph doing some relaxed sketching that seems to be strengthen him as well as giving him additional appreciation for colors and textures around him...all in all, it's too good. Perhaps too good to be true?

I'm still wanting to unscrew the port in Gary's head and get inside to poke around. I'm still not trustful of the guy. He always seems to know exactly the right thing to say or do--and it seems to be more than just because he's in tune with the circumstances. On their lovemaking: "It was a little magical, wasn't it?" On Toph's brother: a review of the importance of family and analysis of why Clarence is the way he is (and presumably he's not THAT familiar with him, or the all the reasons for the schism with Toph). And a LACK of analysis of the role of the brother-in-law. Gary's responses strike me as signs of a master manipulator--too glib, too easy--and I hope you prove me wrong. I'm hoping that the storm clouds Toph sees on the horizon aren't a metaphor for storms coming into Toph's life because of Gary.

Finely nuanced chapter, and damn fine writing here. You captured the lazy spirit of the relaxed beaches in Texas well (as their ads used to say "Texas is a whole 'nother country!"), as well as the intensifying feelings Toph is carrying for both Gary and his craft. Well done!

Thank you Rex!

 

Toph DID seem to grow a lot during this vacation. And we can't lose sight of the fact he's falling in love.

 

I certainly hope you're wrong about the "too good to be true." By the way, read around this page and you will discover a LOT of suspicion.

 

But everything we can put a negative spin to also has a positive possibility. Maybe we need to be hopeful but vigilant. And ...maybe Toph is too!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 06/05/2016 10:33 PM, Mikiesboy said:

Warmth and pretty colours all through rose-coloured glasses? It's all a little too pretty, very feel good, but that's vacations. Will it all change in the face of real life? I hope not.

 

Great chapter, it was good for the bit of the romantic I have lurking inside.

 

tim

Thank you tim!

 

Ouch! What a nasty spin on all the rose. :)

 

I'm sure things will not be so 'rosey' back from vacation, but the fact he's falling in love won't go away.

So I think your 'romantic' is safe!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 06/05/2016 11:49 PM, Parker Owens said:

A glowing and gentle chapter to fill everyone with some contentment, radiance, and comfort. And perhaps enough to see Toph actually happy. He hasn't seen life that way in forever, so this chapter is a grand embrace, a memorable hug. Thank you for this chapter.

Thank you Parker!

 

It is nice to see Toph go half a month without some sort of downer. He does seem happy. Let's hope he can continue remaining happy after the vacation.

I think Toph/Gary is getting pretty solid too. That might help. ;)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 06/06/2016 01:59 AM, spikey582 said:

Oh SD, you had me going, you really did. I was getting caught up in the romance of the whole thing. Toph was finally letting his guard down, falling in love with someone who appeared to be treating him right. Likd he'd said there'd been something between them since the start of the story, so it was good to see that potential relationship get explored.

 

As others have stated, you captured the beauty of the Gulf Coast wonderfully, the writing of those descriptions was top not. Everything seemed absolutely blissful. I especially liked the section where they interact with those two boys on the beach. It was really cute.

 

Yes it was all too perfect. Then the texts start coming in, not just from Charles, the "good" one, but also Clarence, one of Toph's two major antagonists from his family. And oh look he's completely changed his tune from the previous 19 years of their relationship because Toph (rightly) didn't show up for the Christmas dinner. So here's Toph suspicious as anyone would be nice that his brother suddenly changed personality in 3 months. Anyone wouldn't buy that and keep their distance. But in steps Gary, who again starts spouting off about family connections, how Toph hasn't looked at it all from the right point of view, blah blah blah.

 

It immediately changed the entire tone of the chapter, and everything that's been building between them. Toph let his guard down and Gary is back to his manipulations. Or at least that's all I can see now. I would love to be proven wrong, but I don't think I am. Too bad, cause I was very nearly stating to like Gary again.

 

Very well done chapter SD!

Thank you spikey!

 

Thanks for the kind comments about my description of the gulf coast. Each sunrise there is special.

 

I certainly hope you are wrong about Gary. Toph doesn't need a setback right now, and that would be a horrendous setback. As I mentioned to Rex, there is an alternate possibility to each of the suspicions we (quite understandably) might have.

 

So, let's squeeze for the good. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 06/06/2016 07:54 AM, jess30519 said:

So very pleasing: the description of the dawn colours washing over Gary as he lies next to a very mellow and contented Toph. What a great way to start a much needed relaxing holiday! I got the feeling that he continues to open up his heart and his mind to others around him. Toph is becoming more mature. Nice interaction with the kids, too. All very low key and just what he needed. Gary is to be thanked for that!

 

Not even the texts from his brothers put him off balance, and that's another sign of Toph's new stability. Sounds like Charles has had the same difficulties with relationships as well. Perhaps all of his siblings are the same. Even Clarence appears to be making an effort to undo the admitted damage he inflicted on Toph in earlier times. A little surprising how quickly and easily Toph adjusted his attitude toward Clarence, even with Gary's poking. I guess there is a nuance between having no ruth and being ruthless! Still, Clarissa's wedding ought to be interesting!

 

A most enjoyable chapter, Skinny. Thanks!

Thank you jess!

 

Toph sure seems a far cry from the bitter emigre from Euphoria. And despite the (many) worries to the contrary, Gary seems to have a large role in that.

 

I'm looking forward to Clarissa's wedding too! I hope Teddy has taken proper security measures. :P

  • Like 2
Link to comment

A really beautiful opening Skinny D. You paint a very seductive view of their vacation. I hope that Toph isn't himself getting seduced by the beauty of the sunsets and colors and by the attentive and charming Gary. I want to think that Gary is straight up and that Toph made a good choice. Toph made all these strides, came to a much better understanding and acceptance of himself and he grew up and is managing his life on his terms. If it falls down around him I hope it won't take him down. I really hope it's not all for nothing.

Gary is being the perfect boyfriend. Says the right things, and puts everything into perfect perspective for Toph. All of this isn't bad, it just is unsettling. I suppose Toph's family could be making the same changes Toph is. It's harder to believe it because we don't see it. It is possible. Maybe I'm too cynical.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I think the whole point of him going on vacation was to help give perspective. You don't have perspective when it is right in front of you and only by taking a step back can you really go forward. The relationship at the beach was a perfect growth meter, since it gave Toph a moment to realize his own maturity and freedom that has evolved by observing a much younger version.
I think that even before Toph and Gary moved up the next level they were both challenging each other to look at things from a different angle and take a breathe. It is easy to give machinations to Gary because the story isn't being told from his point of view, and the motives of others can easily be considered sinister if they are unknown to you. If I were a suspecting person I would say that there may be a little family revelations before it all culminates at a wedding, whether that be Big Joes or Clarissa's wedding.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/06/2016 12:13 PM, Defiance19 said:

A really beautiful opening Skinny D. You paint a very seductive view of their vacation. I hope that Toph isn't himself getting seduced by the beauty of the sunsets and colors and by the attentive and charming Gary. I want to think that Gary is straight up and that Toph made a good choice. Toph made all these strides, came to a much better understanding and acceptance of himself and he grew up and is managing his life on his terms. If it falls down around him I hope it won't take him down. I really hope it's not all for nothing.

Gary is being the perfect boyfriend. Says the right things, and puts everything into perfect perspective for Toph. All of this isn't bad, it just is unsettling. I suppose Toph's family could be making the same changes Toph is. It's harder to believe it because we don't see it. It is possible. Maybe I'm too cynical.

Thanks for your kind words Def!

 

Poor Gary comes under a lot of criticism on this page :P

 

It seems like he is really helping Toph grow and make those strides you mentioned. As their relationship deepens, let's hope he continues to affect Toph in such a positive manner.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..