Jump to content
    skinnydragon
  • Author
  • 4,639 Words
  • 3,815 Views
  • 21 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Toph's Empty Year - 22. Early July

Monday was the first of July and the first I determined to get to the bottom of the Steve business. I had gone through a lot of mental phases on Steve. Of course, the shock of betrayal was the initial phase. I must admit that I did run from the situation. There was no way to sugarcoat it. I was a coward – an injured coward, but a coward nonetheless. The second phase was distance. I placed distance between myself and even thinking about Steve. I also put a distance between me and any other possible boyfriend. As Joanne noted, I became gun-shy. That period of time also gave birth to the next phase – the guilty one – which I was still not completely finished navigating. What was wrong with me? What did I do to chase Steve away?

When Niles informed me that Mother had somehow been dealing with Steve in the background, you would have thought the culpability phase would have passed, but it hadn’t. However, it did bring this final aspect to life, the one I was now inhabiting: my mother was responsible for it all. That would free everyone from blame but her. I was smart enough to realize this was not true, but it hung there in the orchard of my mind like plump, ripe, absolving fruit. There was only one way to get to the bottom of it and that was to talk with Steve. Only a month ago, I would have been afraid to confront him. After meeting with Moms, all that had changed. The simple truth was, Gary loved me and Gary’s parents loved me. You have no idea how that had liberated me and implanted a deep resolve.

I now fully intend to confront Mother before the wedding. I had enough evidence of her interference to provide most of the ammunition I needed. Once I got the real story from Steve, I’d have more than enough. I’d been thinking about this a lot. When that happened, I silently apologized to Gary for not ‘bouncing this off of him,’ as he wished. But sometimes one has to take responsibility into one’s own hands. This was not Gary’s fight or was it his mother’s. It was my battle, and I had become determined to make my voice heard, even if it meant a foray into my dreaded Euphoria.

With all that in mind, I called Steve when I knew he would be at lunch.

“Toph? What do you want?” There was an edge to his voice.

“I need to meet with you, Steve – the sooner the better. I’ll come to your apartment. Is there some time that could happen?”

“Oh, wow. You’re not going to get violent, are you?”

“Steve, you know me better than that.”

“Hehe, yeah, I guess that’s not your style. Look, I have a date tonight. How about tomorrow right after work? You know what time I get home.”

“OK. You’re on. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

At that point, my only worry was to get out of our gym workout tomorrow without Gary discovering what I was up to. But after thinking about it a little more, I decided to tell Gary. After all, only I could make this visit. It had to be done alone. Even Gary would be able to see that.

We were at his club resting after tennis.

“I won’t be able to go with you to the gym tomorrow.”

“Oh? What’s up?”

“I have a meeting.”

“Who with?”

“Steve.”

“Really?”

“Yep. I’m going to get to the bottom of the Stevegate affair.” That made Gary chuckle.

“Do you want me to wait outside in the car? Just in case you get a shocking revelation and need a hug.”

“Tempting as that may be, I need to be completely on my own for this. Can you understand?”

He thought for a moment. “Yes. It makes perfect sense to me. But if you’re really distraught, please don’t drive. Call me or at least take a cab. We can pick up your car later. I want you to stay all in one piece, love. I’m sort of selfish in that regard.” He leaned in and gave me a soft, meaningful kiss.

I stared into his eyes, slipping more deeply in love with the man who, I could plainly see, was helping mould the new Toph – Toph3.0.

He smiled back, but then got serious. “Thursday is The Fourth, you know. I hope you don’t mind, but I took the liberty of arranging for one of England’s private jets to fly us into Portland. Commercial travel will be a zoo that day. I know it’s not your style, but I guarantee you would not like the alternative.”

“How long will we stay in Maine?”

“I figure we could come home late Tuesday, the ninth. Is that OK with you?”

I leaned in; it was my turn to give him a soft, meaningful kiss. “Anything you arrange is OK with me.”

The next day crawled along until it was time to leave for Steve’s. It felt eerily familiar, taking the route my mind had memorized so well. I parked, but could see his car was not there yet, so I waited by mine. About five minutes later, I recognized his car pulling into its usual slot. He got out, warily checking the parking lot until his eyes zeroed in on TeAra and me. The look on his face was inscrutable, as if it were masking his true emotions. I approached, but didn’t know whether to shake his hand or hug him. I chose to do neither. I could be inscrutable too.

“Hello, Steve. How have you been?”

“Hi, Toph. I’ve been OK, I guess. You look a little different.”

“Really, how?”

“You seem taller and slimmer. Have you been well? I didn’t mean it that way; you really look terrific.”

He unlocked the door and ushered me in. “I must have gone through a late growth spurt. I shot up a few inches, but didn’t add any weight, so that’s why I look slimmer, I guess. Anyway, it sort of raised havoc with my old clothes. I’ve had to shop a bit – hehe.”

“Want something to drink?”

“Have a beer?”

“Sure!” He retrieved two beers as I followed him into the kitchen. Sitting at the breakfast nook, we each took a swig.

“You’re probably wondering why I’m here.”

“In a way, but I’m sure it has something to do with why we’re not together anymore.”

“Yes.” I could see his eyes drop to the tabletop and his beer. “First though, just out of curiosity, you mentioned a boyfriend. Is it that blond boy from New Year’s Eve?”

“Tracy? No. He works at Pettibone’s too, but we never became boyfriends. Just a hookup now and then.”

I have to admit it rankled me that he would hook-up while we were still together.

“Oh? Well, something’s been on my mind and I was hoping you could help me out.”

“Sure, Toph.” He continued to be very interested in the Formica pattern.

“What did I do wrong? It would help me if I knew – y’know, to not make the same mistake again.”

He continued looking down, and then spoke quietly, almost in a whisper. “Nothing, Toph. You didn’t do anything wrong.” Everything went purple.

WHAM! I slapped my hand on the table and stood, knocking over the stool I was on.

Goddam it, Steve! Look at me!

He did look into my eyes and the initial fright was replaced with something I could not identify, but it was not a comfortable look. “That’s better. Now, please explain what happened. I need to know!”

I think when I picked up the chair and sat, taking another sip, he calmed down.

“It was really several things. I became frightened. The first happened when we were at dinner that night at your apartment. That’s when I first met Gary. You had told me that afternoon you thought he was into you, so I watched him pretty carefully. I could see it too.”

“But, you know I – ” He silenced me by raising his hand and continuing.

“I didn’t doubt you. That was only the first inkling of trouble. I mean, he was just a dude who was quite a bit older than you. I didn’t worry much about him until you came back from your meeting with his father at that fancy restaurant. That was the first time I began to worry. I mean, I never knew he was such a big-shot. And then it sank in how rich and powerful his father was. I suddenly realized you were being absorbed into something I didn’t have the resources to fight.”

I tried to interrupt again, but he stopped me. Steve wasn’t finished yet.

“I know. You didn’t let it affect you, and I’m proud of you for that. But I also knew what would happen to you. But then, your mother visited me.”

“What?! She came here?”

“Yes, right to my door. When she identified herself, I let her in, figuring she was like my mother and wanted to get to know her son’s boyfriend a little. She told me you were a bit of a hothead when it came to your family, which sort of jibed with your story. I wondered where she was going with this.”

“Hothead?”

“Well, you did make a little scene and then left home.”

“Yeah, OK. So what did she do? Did she threaten you?”

“No, not then. She said she wanted to mend fences. She explained your whole family would be together for Christmas dinner and asked what we were going to do. When I said we’d be at my parents’ for Christmas Eve, she said that it was perfect. We could attend her dinner. When I raised doubt you would want to go, she tried to convince me how healing it would be for you. Up until that moment, I was seeing things from her perspective. That’s when she gave me the check.”

“Oh, shit.”

“Yes. At first I was shocked, but she tried to explain.”

“How do you explain a bribe?”

“Cleverly, that’s how. She knew it was going to be difficult for me to get you there. She left it up to me to figure out a way to do it. The money was for any expenses I might incur while trying to convince you. She also hinted there was enough to also be a personal ‘thank-you’ from her for all my effort.”

“How much?”

“Twenty-five thousand dollars.”

“That much for me to be at dinner. What if I didn’t go? Were you to return the money?”

“No. I asked her that very question. She said I could keep it for my efforts and maybe I could convince you to attend the next holiday meal. But it was pretty obvious she wasn’t expecting me to fail.”

“So you badgered me to say yes, and I did. Then you got mad at me when I said no.”

“No, Toph, that wasn’t what happened at all. For several nights after Christmas, I couldn’t sleep. The more all these rich people kept squeezing me, the more frightened I became. I mean, think! Here I was, in competition for you with Gary, who could buy or sell me, get me fired, even have me killed if he wanted to. On the other side was your mother who could do all the same things! I had more money in my pocket than I’d ever seen before. I knew I was in over my head – totally outclassed. There was only one safe way out that I could see. That was to not be your boyfriend anymore. I didn’t want to do it – I really didn’t! But I had no other option.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Because I was a coward. I thought maybe you would break up with me if I shoved Tracy in your face. I was surprised you never did. You just walked away.”

“No, I came to talk to you at lunch and saw you running across the street with him, laughing. I lost all interest in confronting you when I saw that. I knew it was over. I figured, why make a scene?”

“Toph, I’m sorry.”

“Me too, Steve. And if it’s any consolation, I sort of understand. I have just one last question; promise to be honest?”

“Sure. There’s nothing to hide anymore.”

“Did Gary get involved in any way with either the Christmas dinner or our relationship?”

“No, Toph. I never saw him again after that dinner at your apartment.

“Thanks, Steve. Thanks for being honest with me.” That was when I left.

How could I have asked that? I’m so weak!

I hated myself for asking that last question. You either trusted someone or you didn’t. I knew I didn’t deserve Gary. Deserve the same guy who was waiting for me when I returned. The same one who hugged me and asked if I were OK.

“No, I’m not.”

“What happened?”

“I betrayed you.”

“You had sex with Steve?”

“No, nothing like that. After he explained what my mother did, I asked him if you were involved in any way.”

“And?”

“There is no ‘and.’ I never should have asked. I should have trusted you. Now I feel like shit. Now I feel like I just broke up with you.”

“Do you still love me?”

“More than you can imagine.”

“Then you can’t break up with me. I love you the same way.”

“But I….”

“Shush! You asked what you needed to. I take no offense.” Gary’s lips touched mine. I hugged him and began to sob. I was becoming a crying infant the older I got.

After holding on long enough for me to realize he was my rock, I separated and kissed him gently too. But I was suddenly hungry for this unbelievable man. My kisses grew more urgent – more impatient. I grabbed his hand and dragged him into our bedroom. My body beseeched him to love away all my weaknesses, and he did – and I cried again! I never moved after that and slept through till morning, contented and protected by his embrace. It was the morning of the Fourth of July, Independence Day.

We left for the airport, but drove to the opposite side of the runways from the terminal. This was where the private jets were. With no hassle at all, we were aboard and in the air, headed for Portland. Gary explained his parents had a summerhouse on Southport Island. I assumed we would be renting a car, but my amazing man surprised me again. It was a quick cab ride to the seaport, where he had made arrangements for us to be taken across Casco Bay, saving at least an hour of driving around it, so he said. The charter was docked near a place called J’s Oysters, where we ate an enormous number of steamed clams for lunch.

Soon Captain Henry was approaching a large island. Gary was explaining to him where the house was when he suddenly turned my body, pointing out our destination. As we slowed toward the dock, we passed a sailing craft moored just off starboard. When we did arrive alongside the pier, I couldn’t wait and jumped out before the boat stopped. I secured the forward spring line to the stern cleat for the short few minutes it took to unload Gary and our bags. Captain Henry chuckled at my impatience and waved as – a few minutes later – he backed out and opened up, returning to Portland. I stood at the end of the dock to admire the sailboat.

“She’s beautiful!”

“She’s a Morris 36, built right here in Maine – all handmade.”

“I’ve never seen that design before.”

“That’s because it’s brand new, just introduced.”

“When can we sail?”

“Tomorrow morning?”

“I have to wait that long?”

Gary chuckled. “Well, we need to settle in, go for dinner and maybe watch some fireworks. That sounds like a pretty full rest-of-the-day. We’ll be fresher and more relaxed tomorrow. But we will be on the water to get dinner.”

By the time we unloaded our gear and opened the house it was late afternoon. Gary suggested we navigate around the island and then eat at a special place he knew. Walking out on the dock, we took off in the small dinghy, which was tied there for transportation to the Morris. She mocked us as we motored past her and headed south, paralleling the island’s coast. This island was larger than I had expected. Soon I could see a lighthouse ahead. It was on a small rock just south of the island. Gary navigated between three islands, the larger one on our starboard, Cape Island, and two smaller ones aport, The Cuckolds. The smaller Cuckold held the lighthouse.

“The keeper’s house has been converted into a small bed and breakfast. You can only get there by boat, and it’s booked years in advance.”

Fascinated, I put my binoculars on it as we motored by. We then headed north to follow our island’s western coast until our heading became northeast and then east into a small channel.

“We’re in Townsend Gulf. See that line of boats ahead?”

“Yeah. Why are they like that?”

“Masted and larger craft line up here for that swingbridge ahead. It is the only road onto the island. We’re low, so we can go under the bridge.”

Sure enough, Gary slowed significantly as we approached the bridge and began to pass beneath. Just as we were under it, I heard the bells and horns announcing it was about to open to allow the craft waiting on either side to pass. Turning, I watched it swing, creating a clear path for the boats. We passed the westbound queue, and almost immediately Gary pulled alongside a dock. I got out and secured our small boat. After a few steps we entered a restaurant, precariously perched on the rocks near the bridge and half out onto a concrete pier.

“This is Robinson’s Warf. It’s the only restaurant on the island. You’ll love the seafood.”

We chose to sit not in the dining room, but out on the dock at a table under a Cinzano umbrella. When the young waitress approached to take our drink order, I looked at Gary.

“Have the Geary’s ale, you’ll love it.”

I tried to take in the incredible view; all the blue of the sky and water produced a most calming effect. I began to look at the menu, trying to decide between lobster and haddock entrées. Before I could get very far, we were distracted by the loud engine of a boat arriving on the opposite side of the dock from where we were sitting. A young guy climbed up to our level and began to operate a winch I hadn’t noticed before. Soon crates of fresh lobster were hauled onto the concrete, only ten feet from where we were sitting. At the same time, a small forklift made its way between the tables and lifted the payload of hundreds of lobster. It swiveled, and returned to the restaurant building. Well, that certainly made my choice easy. You couldn’t get any fresher than that. It was lobster for Toph!

The most delectable lobster, and hearty Geary’s ale, made for a perfect light dinner. I gave Gary my piece of corn on the cob. I only ate corn in season. I knew this was probably some gummy stuff imported from Florida. Wow! I just heard myself. Did I know this guy who was talking?

After dinner we stayed right there on the dock, but moved off onto some Adirondack chairs. The establishment had placed these further toward the end of the pier. It’s where we had our final ale. The trip back was short. Our place must have been pretty far north on the island’s east coast. It’s when I realized the east coast meant sunrise!

There was a short yard between the house and the water. It’s where we watched some fireworks, probably from Boothbay Harbor, according to Gary. My sweetheart was right; the day was a full one. Although, we did find the time and energy for making love that first night.

I let Gary sleep-in the next morning, as I extricated myself from his embrace and took a freshly brewed cup of coffee to the dock to watch the sky lighten and observe the sun rise over the end of a peninsula, which I later discovered was called Ocean Point. This gave me some time to think. I couldn’t remain angry with Steve. He was simply overwhelmed by money and power, and was totally unprepared to deal with it. What I had grown up with, and considered phony and supposititious, had actually frightened him and he fled. I could understand that.

Learning she put such a large sum of money into his hands made me bristle at my mother. She tried to buy off Austin with money. She tried to control me with money. She succeeded in running off Steve with money, even if it was not her intent. From virtually the moment I left, she had tried to interfere with my life. Money had been her weapon of choice, or perhaps it was the only one she had. Something needed to be done before Clarissa’s wedding. I needed to confront MATER.

“Beautiful, no?”

“Yes, I love sunrises. They offer so much hope. You didn’t mind I snuck out, did you? I figured you’d like to sleep.”

He came right up to me and caressed my face.

“I love you so much.”

Well, that needed to be rewarded with a kiss, which I gave him.

“Do me a favor, love?”

“Anything, Gary.”

“Try to stop thinking about whatever you’re thinking about and simply enjoy the weekend. Think after you get home?”

“Yeah, I’m sorry.”

“You’ll be able to make better decisions if you’re completely recharged. Now let’s eat a bit, and then get on Aura for some sailing.”

I couldn’t argue with that. I did as my sweetheart suggested, and for the next four days, we were completely on vacation. We sailed, visited a few harbors to wander and enjoy delectably fresh seafood and, except for one night, returned to the summerhouse each evening. We decided to spend Sunday night on Aura. It was fun and it was romantic. After dinner that night we were a good four hours away from the house anyway. I’ll admit there were a few times, in the evenings, when my mind began to wander into thinking, but Gary was quick to notice and bring me back with a few of those methods guaranteed to focus all my attention on us.

Tuesday was for buttoning everything up. No sooner was the luggage on our dock, than Captain Henry motored up, and by Tuesday night we were safely snuggled into our own bed in the apartment.

“Thank you, Gary. Thanks for the weekend, for the sailing and for making sure my mind recharged.”

“My pleasure, love. Now you can return to overthinking things.” He chuckled.

“Well, you may be surprised. I think I’ve learned a few things on this vacation.”

“Oh?”

“Yes. I can’t describe it exactly, but each time you sensed I was about to start worrying and thrashing over my thoughts, there was a similar color in my mind; it was sort of a dim light-purple. Toward the end of our vacation, whenever that shade began to appear, I got involved with something else and didn’t slip into that state. You might have just given me a defense against my debilitating deliberations. Anyway, I’ve decided to take more action and do less thinking.”

“Really? Action, as in?”

“Mother.”

“Oh? Do I dare ask?”

“The night I came back from Steve’s, I told you what she had done to that poor guy and what he was feeling. At this point I have a catalogue of her attempts to interfere with and control me. There’s nothing left to overthink or even plain old think. To prevent her from ruining Clarissa’s wedding with a big scene, which could be her plan of punishment for Clarissa, I need to pay her a visit.”

“Are you certain?”

“There’s simply no other way. She’s got to be stopped before she spends her retirement ruining everyone’s life.”

“Do you need a weapon?”

I couldn’t tell if he was being sarcastic or serious. “I have one of my own – the facts. Let her answer to me for a change.”

“Maybe you should visit Moms before you take that step?”

“Now who’s overthinking?”

A little blush swept over Gary’s face. “Yikes! When did my sweet Toph become my feisty Toph?”

“When someone fucked with me, that’s when.” I kissed him on the nose, snuggled into his arms and fell blissfully to sleep.

The next day was Wednesday and TALON day. I was much more alert and, for a change, contributed quite a bit. Upon arrival, I thanked Luke for Texas Boys. I didn’t need to say another word. Luke’s no dummy and I could tell from his smile everything I needed to know about his influence in getting the painting home, where it always belonged. Speaking of those Texas Boys, after the meeting I gave Oscar what I had outlined and written so far, and accompanied him home.

“One hundred twenty-two chapters? Are you sure?”

“That’s how many days there are between Labor Day and New Year’s Eve. I want a chapter for each day.”

“Your readers will get bored.”

“I’m not writing this for any readers, Oscar. The story is writing itself. And a spooky thing is that it’s starting to include some symbolism. I had to think about some events for a long time because I didn’t understand why I chose a particular confrontation or experience. Suddenly I realized it was a symbol for something else. Sometimes a metaphor and sometimes a representative token. No reader would ever discover those things. This story will be only for me.”

“You have a pretty complete outline here with several plot threads. Do you have any chapters fleshed out?”

I handed him a stack of papers. “These aren’t sequential. When I thought about the outline, certain chapters became touchstones and I was compelled to write those first. Nothing’s been revised. These are just first drafts. Could you look them over? Not to edit, but to comment on the feel you get for the story. These are the critical moments in J’s journey and the story will flow through those moments.”

“Certainly, Toph; certainly. I look forward to reading these. May I keep the outline to see where all this fits?”

“Be my guest. You’re doing me a great favor, Oscar. You know it’s funny, but this filling out the critical points before filling in the details is exactly the way I’ve been painting.”

He put the writing aside and we enjoyed some of his smooth rye before I left, thanking him again.

Saturday was the thirteenth and an ominous day indeed. The mail was usually delivered early on Saturdays and there it was, sinister and menacing, lying benignly among the other items.

“You open it.” I gave it to Gary.

“It’s addressed to you.” He gave it back.

“I can’t. I can’t be the first to look at it.” Again, I gave it to him.

This time my sweetheart indulged me and slit open the letter from Abington. I studied his face but he was too good. There was not a single tic or flaw from the perfect poker face.

“I’m dying over here!”

“You’ve been accepted, and given a free ride.”

Copyright © 2016 skinnydragon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 35
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

Let's start at the end...yes! A happy ending to this chapter, and the sign of a new chapter opening up in Toph's life.

 

Now, onto other matters. I can really appreciate why Steve reacted the way he did. He's not used to money and it scared him. I really like how Toph recognises what happened and believes Steve's story. While he doesn't say it, it also strengthens his relationship with Gary because money will never be scary for Gary. Ultimately, money is just a tool, but for those who are not used it it can be a frightening tool. At least Steve didn't become greedy and covet the money Toph's mother had given him.

 

Now onto the upcoming confrontation with Toph's mother. I wouldn't be surprised if she claims to not realise what she's been doing. After all, if you've always had money and always used money to solve problems, giving it to 'people you care about' isn't nefarious at all. She deposited money into Toph's account and she gave money to Steve when she thought he was Toph's boyfriend. I'm sure she'll say that she didn't mean any harm by doing so; she was just being generous. That doesn't mean that she's innocent, just that she'll try to claim that she is. We don't really know that much about her. Most of our perceptions have come from Toph, with only Gary's comments about how she appeared to have a mini-breakdown when Toph walked out on the family as a counter. It's the latter that gives rise to the possibility that Toph's mother isn't as bad as he fears. However, we'll all just going to have to wait and see...

Link to comment

Hmm, 122 chapters Labour Day to New Years? Now why does that sound familiar... :P

 

Great chapter. I really like the 'shape' of it. Steve's actions were understandable - except for Tracy. It is difficult to find any respect for him after using that method as an out. Perhaps I hold people to too high a standard, but I have never understood people who deliberately create a bad situation in order to end a relationship. I glad Toph was finally able to get that out of the way. I found the synesthesia bit to be particularly interesting - why purple and why that particular purple? I ask partly because I have a degree of synesthesia with music in colour and kinetic forms, so it is always interesting to learn what the specifics of different peoples' reactions are. For example, my music-colour associations are not the same as those reported by Scriabin. We can all breathe out in relief that Toph did make it in to Abington (though as a reader it seemed difficult to imagine he wouldn't), and the scholarship Toph will hopefully be able to accept as what it is - an affirmation of his talent and potential. Now off to deal with mother dearest... that will be revelatory, and if the past is any clue it will not proceed the way Toph likely imagines.

Link to comment

First, I have to say I love how you defended 18 Weeks of Twoey. "I'm writing this one for me." That was all that needed to be said. I knew he had gotten into school, I was quite expecting a full-ride. I also called mom's involvement with Steve way way back ;) lol...Great Job....post more soon

Link to comment

I have to be quick, and that is a great pity. I love how Toph is getting to the core of his insecurities, how he could face Steve and protease to face his mother. And I love how you create and convey Gary and Toph's continuing, deepening love. The acceptance letter was just plain icing, and while we knew it was coming, it is still so very satisfying.
many, many thanks...

Link to comment

Aw wonderful ... you can feel the love Toph has for Gary, it's like a sunburst! I like that he was brave and spoke to Steve. That was a sad moment when Steve did what he did. I realize he was afraid be he still could have done a better job, but that's in the past.
Gary is everything I'd hoped he'd be. I don't blame Toph for asking Steve what he did with respect to Gary. How could he not with so many around him playing games. Gary handled it wonderfully.
lovely chapter, skinny.
xo

Link to comment

Not much I can add to what Graeme said--he covered my points pretty well.
The continuing development of Toph and Gary's relationship is great, and he's doing a fantastic job helping Toph navigate through his mental confusion through the tools of love and gentle hints which help him sort out his way.
For a long time I've thought of Toph's mother as evil, but Graeme's words gave me pause; I could buy it except for the way she tries to interfere in Clarissa's wedding and relationship, and set one of Toph's brothers against him...she isn't at all innocent, and money was just one of her methods--didn't Steve say that she hinted at threats later in their dealings?
I was glad Toph got accepted into Abingdon, wasn't expecting that with his impressions of how badly the interview went. I was thinking before reading this, that they were showing their snobbery by quibbling over his knowledge of art history and the nuances of the various movements when he clearly has an amazing talent...to paraphrase a certain doctor from Star Trek: 'I'm an artist, not an encyclopedia!'
Eager for the next one, my friend!

Link to comment

An excellent chapter! Well, any chapter involving boats, especially sailboats on the Maine coast, has to be good.

 

I wonder whether Toph will become suspicious of the free ride at Abington, if a nagging idea that someone - Gary's family or England or someone else - has somehow managed things this way. But I believe that he has moved past that kind of thinking, especially now that he has definitely pinned the other instances on dear old Mom. Good that he cleared the air with Steve; one less thing to overthink.

 

Love the crossover with 18 Weeks! The two Garys are very different, and a good thing, too! Thanks, Skinny!

Link to comment

See, Toph totally overthought his interview and thought he flubbed it. And he didn't! And he got a free ride! :D Now hopefully Gary or Moms or England had nothing to do with that...

 

Loved the Twoey reference! One hundred and twenty-two chapters! Your readers will get bored (no f'n way!). I'm writing this for me. Awesome, Skinny! :) Btw: I STILL miss reading Twoey!!! :(:(:( One of the best stories on here.

 

Also loved the mini vacation the took in Maine. I felt like I was there. There's nothing cooler than taking a boat, docking it, and climbing up into the restaurant. Way cool. B)

Link to comment

Ok everyone else already said it but I have to mention, I seriously chuckled when you mentioned the 122 chapters from Labor Day to New Year's Eve. That was a nice reference SD! :D

 

I will say after reading this chapter, I came to appreciate Gary and what he means to Toph going forward. I actually went back through a few of the previous chapters and some of my reviews. Man was I harsh to poor Gary. I hope you laughed at my paranoid reactions and were not disheartened. You knew what was going on and we didn't so I hope that was fun for you. Of course the revelations from this chapter put everything into a different perspective, so now I can look back and see where I was wrong.

 

I do feel a bit sorry for Steve for being so intimidated by the people in Toph's orbit that he felt like he didn't have a chance. However he decided to hide Mrs Denny's machinations from Toph and then let a good thing go because he wasn't willing to fight for it. Shame for him, but Gary is probably a better fit for Toph now anyway.

 

I like that Toph is finally allowing himself to be vulnerable, and it's perfect that Gary is there for him. Toph has always needed that love and support and he just sadly never had that before. As I said earlier, I was fairly certain that Toph passed the interview. Now I just hope that he can move forward with Gary's (and all his friends) support and actually be confident in his abilities.

 

Obviously the confrontation with mom is overdue, as her interference has caused Toph some serious issues this last year. I'm with Graeme that I'm thinking at least part of his mother's actions might have been in reaction to his leaving. That goes back to my thought from a few chapters ago that she didn't seem antagonistic at the start of the story. But, there's still some dysfunction there. I somehow think Toph will never really be as close to his family as he will eventually be to Gary's parents. Not to mention their close friends.

 

I really enjoyed this chapter SD. I'll be sad to see this story end.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/02/2016 03:34 PM, Graeme said:

Let's start at the end...yes! A happy ending to this chapter, and the sign of a new chapter opening up in Toph's life.

 

Now, onto other matters. I can really appreciate why Steve reacted the way he did. He's not used to money and it scared him. I really like how Toph recognises what happened and believes Steve's story. While he doesn't say it, it also strengthens his relationship with Gary because money will never be scary for Gary. Ultimately, money is just a tool, but for those who are not used it it can be a frightening tool. At least Steve didn't become greedy and covet the money Toph's mother had given him.

 

Now onto the upcoming confrontation with Toph's mother. I wouldn't be surprised if she claims to not realise what she's been doing. After all, if you've always had money and always used money to solve problems, giving it to 'people you care about' isn't nefarious at all. She deposited money into Toph's account and she gave money to Steve when she thought he was Toph's boyfriend. I'm sure she'll say that she didn't mean any harm by doing so; she was just being generous. That doesn't mean that she's innocent, just that she'll try to claim that she is. We don't really know that much about her. Most of our perceptions have come from Toph, with only Gary's comments about how she appeared to have a mini-breakdown when Toph walked out on the family as a counter. It's the latter that gives rise to the possibility that Toph's mother isn't as bad as he fears. However, we'll all just going to have to wait and see...

Thanks, Graeme!

 

Yes, you might be correct about the less-than-Cruella de Vil(lainy) of Toph's mother. I can't wait to see how she reacts either. But I think our fragile little bloom is going to descend on her with both guns blazing. :o

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/02/2016 04:18 PM, Lux Apollo said:

Hmm, 122 chapters Labour Day to New Years? Now why does that sound familiar... :P

 

Great chapter. I really like the 'shape' of it. Steve's actions were understandable - except for Tracy. It is difficult to find any respect for him after using that method as an out. Perhaps I hold people to too high a standard, but I have never understood people who deliberately create a bad situation in order to end a relationship. I glad Toph was finally able to get that out of the way. I found the synesthesia bit to be particularly interesting - why purple and why that particular purple? I ask partly because I have a degree of synesthesia with music in colour and kinetic forms, so it is always interesting to learn what the specifics of different peoples' reactions are. For example, my music-colour associations are not the same as those reported by Scriabin. We can all breathe out in relief that Toph did make it in to Abington (though as a reader it seemed difficult to imagine he wouldn't), and the scholarship Toph will hopefully be able to accept as what it is - an affirmation of his talent and potential. Now off to deal with mother dearest... that will be revelatory, and if the past is any clue it will not proceed the way Toph likely imagines.

Thanks, Lux!

 

Somehow I got the feeling Steve wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer and he really had a terrible track record. Tracy was probably the only means he could think of to get out -- without having to admit the truth. I don't think he was a good fit for Toph anyway.

 

Purple is my worried color, so I just gave it to Toph. hehe.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/02/2016 04:20 PM, JayT said:

First, I have to say I love how you defended 18 Weeks of Twoey. "I'm writing this one for me." That was all that needed to be said. I knew he had gotten into school, I was quite expecting a full-ride. I also called mom's involvement with Steve way way back ;) lol...Great Job....post more soon

Thanks, jt!

 

Yeah, couldn't resist. :P

 

You were onto lots of stuff in this story. Do I have to check my laptop for bugs? :o

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/03/2016 12:16 AM, Parker Owens said:

I have to be quick, and that is a great pity. I love how Toph is getting to the core of his insecurities, how he could face Steve and protease to face his mother. And I love how you create and convey Gary and Toph's continuing, deepening love. The acceptance letter was just plain icing, and while we knew it was coming, it is still so very satisfying.

many, many thanks...

Thanks, Parker!

 

Toph seems to have turned a corner. He'll start cleaning up loose ends before his empty year is up. I'm sure none of this would have happened (so quickly) without his boyfriend behind him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/03/2016 12:46 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Aw wonderful ... you can feel the love Toph has for Gary, it's like a sunburst! I like that he was brave and spoke to Steve. That was a sad moment when Steve did what he did. I realize he was afraid be he still could have done a better job, but that's in the past.

Gary is everything I'd hoped he'd be. I don't blame Toph for asking Steve what he did with respect to Gary. How could he not with so many around him playing games. Gary handled it wonderfully.

lovely chapter, skinny.

xo

Thanks, tim!

 

Aw, what a beautiful word -- sunburst -- I wish I'd have thought to use it. I may steal it yet :P

 

I agree concerning asking Steve about Gary. I think that may have been the last little piece of unease left. So watch out Gary! Toph's all-in now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/03/2016 02:48 AM, Randy Wade said:

Another great chapter! The fact that he followed his instincts and found out and confirmed pretty much what he suspected about his mother's meddling into his life is proof that Toph has grown. I can't wait to see that confrontation with his mother. i think it's great that he is with someone a little older to help him grow as a person too.

Thanks, Randy!

 

Hey, I can't wait to see that confrontation either.

 

Before, when Toph was pissed-off, he retreated into himself. The 'new' Toph attacks! Watch out Mother!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/03/2016 03:07 AM, ColumbusGuy said:

Not much I can add to what Graeme said--he covered my points pretty well.

The continuing development of Toph and Gary's relationship is great, and he's doing a fantastic job helping Toph navigate through his mental confusion through the tools of love and gentle hints which help him sort out his way.

For a long time I've thought of Toph's mother as evil, but Graeme's words gave me pause; I could buy it except for the way she tries to interfere in Clarissa's wedding and relationship, and set one of Toph's brothers against him...she isn't at all innocent, and money was just one of her methods--didn't Steve say that she hinted at threats later in their dealings?

I was glad Toph got accepted into Abingdon, wasn't expecting that with his impressions of how badly the interview went. I was thinking before reading this, that they were showing their snobbery by quibbling over his knowledge of art history and the nuances of the various movements when he clearly has an amazing talent...to paraphrase a certain doctor from Star Trek: 'I'm an artist, not an encyclopedia!'

Eager for the next one, my friend!

Thanks, CG!

 

Gary does seem to understand his little bloom pretty well, doesn't he? And it's all for the good for Toph.

 

I'm pretty sure Mother is a meddler, there's enough evidence of that. Now, whether she's an EVIL meddler, well that is the question Toph needs to have answered. And it doesn't seem he intends to be passive, either.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/03/2016 08:39 AM, jess30519 said:

An excellent chapter! Well, any chapter involving boats, especially sailboats on the Maine coast, has to be good.

 

I wonder whether Toph will become suspicious of the free ride at Abington, if a nagging idea that someone - Gary's family or England or someone else - has somehow managed things this way. But I believe that he has moved past that kind of thinking, especially now that he has definitely pinned the other instances on dear old Mom. Good that he cleared the air with Steve; one less thing to overthink.

 

Love the crossover with 18 Weeks! The two Garys are very different, and a good thing, too! Thanks, Skinny!

Thanks, jess!

 

Somehow I knew you'd like the setting. The sad news is there are about a thousand words on the cutting room floor, as they say, which was all description of the four days on the water. The chapter would have been too long and boring -- for some landlubbers -- so they never even made it past the first revision. :(

 

There was a crossover with 18 weeks?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/03/2016 12:45 PM, Lisa said:

See, Toph totally overthought his interview and thought he flubbed it. And he didn't! And he got a free ride! :D Now hopefully Gary or Moms or England had nothing to do with that...

 

Loved the Twoey reference! One hundred and twenty-two chapters! Your readers will get bored (no f'n way!). I'm writing this for me. Awesome, Skinny! :) Btw: I STILL miss reading Twoey!!! :(:(:( One of the best stories on here.

 

Also loved the mini vacation the took in Maine. I felt like I was there. There's nothing cooler than taking a boat, docking it, and climbing up into the restaurant. Way cool. B)

Thanks, Lisa!

 

And thanks for the kind words about David's little journey -- He and Twoey thank you too!

 

Overthink? Toph? hehe ...you had that one right.

 

I agree with you about docking and climbing up into a restaurant -- especially that one. If you're ever there, definitely stop for lunch. Umm ...it's also on the highway, so you can drive there. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/05/2016 12:09 AM, spikey582 said:

Ok everyone else already said it but I have to mention, I seriously chuckled when you mentioned the 122 chapters from Labor Day to New Year's Eve. That was a nice reference SD! :D

 

I will say after reading this chapter, I came to appreciate Gary and what he means to Toph going forward. I actually went back through a few of the previous chapters and some of my reviews. Man was I harsh to poor Gary. I hope you laughed at my paranoid reactions and were not disheartened. You knew what was going on and we didn't so I hope that was fun for you. Of course the revelations from this chapter put everything into a different perspective, so now I can look back and see where I was wrong.

 

I do feel a bit sorry for Steve for being so intimidated by the people in Toph's orbit that he felt like he didn't have a chance. However he decided to hide Mrs Denny's machinations from Toph and then let a good thing go because he wasn't willing to fight for it. Shame for him, but Gary is probably a better fit for Toph now anyway.

 

I like that Toph is finally allowing himself to be vulnerable, and it's perfect that Gary is there for him. Toph has always needed that love and support and he just sadly never had that before. As I said earlier, I was fairly certain that Toph passed the interview. Now I just hope that he can move forward with Gary's (and all his friends) support and actually be confident in his abilities.

 

Obviously the confrontation with mom is overdue, as her interference has caused Toph some serious issues this last year. I'm with Graeme that I'm thinking at least part of his mother's actions might have been in reaction to his leaving. That goes back to my thought from a few chapters ago that she didn't seem antagonistic at the start of the story. But, there's still some dysfunction there. I somehow think Toph will never really be as close to his family as he will eventually be to Gary's parents. Not to mention their close friends.

 

I really enjoyed this chapter SD. I'll be sad to see this story end.

Thanks, spikey!

 

No, I didn't laugh at your earlier reactions to Gary. And you certainly weren't alone. We only had Toph's POV on those happenings and HE felt unsure about Gary. So I was sort of happy most felt that way. It meant he (and I, as the writer) conveyed that worry to the reader.

 

I agree about Gary being much better for Toph than Steve. I mentioned that in my reply to Luxey below.

 

It's amazing what a little bit of love can do for a guy who never had it (from is family) before.

 

Well, I better start writing to find out how that little confrontation with Mother will go, I'm curious too!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Like a game of Clue we can all decry "It was the mother, in the parlour, with a checkbook!" Yes, I suppose the rich are used to using funds to grease the wheels and slip-and-slide outcomes to their liking.

 

I'm glad Toph did the mature thing (at last) and spoke to Steve. Although I'm not sure about our hero's petulant display. The banging on the table and shouting sure got my attention, but I'm not sure if Toph was angry or just being bossy. Hmmm, perhaps he is his mother's child after all ;)

 

A stunning chapter. A lot of progress made, and you took us on a beautiful word-tour of some Maine coastline to boot. I thoroughly enjoyed the ride.

 

Thank you!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 10/06/2016 10:32 PM, AC Benus said:

Like a game of Clue we can all decry "It was the mother, in the parlour, with a checkbook!" Yes, I suppose the rich are used to using funds to grease the wheels and slip-and-slide outcomes to their liking.

 

I'm glad Toph did the mature thing (at last) and spoke to Steve. Although I'm not sure about our hero's petulant display. The banging on the table and shouting sure got my attention, but I'm not sure if Toph was angry or just being bossy. Hmmm, perhaps he is his mother's child after all ;)

 

A stunning chapter. A lot of progress made, and you took us on a beautiful word-tour of some Maine coastline to boot. I thoroughly enjoyed the ride.

 

Thank you!

Thanks, AC!

 

I loved your "Clue" reference!

 

Wait! Are you implying that Toph has ever acted immaturely? hehe

 

Maybe the answer to your 'angry or bossy' question will come at the confrontation with his mother. We can only hope.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..