Jump to content
    skinnydragon
  • Author
  • 4,314 Words
  • 3,836 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Toph's Empty Year - 19. Late May

Charles called, twice actually, to thank me for his portrait and to congratulate me on my show, on my paintings and my decision to apply to Abington. We had told him about Abington over dinner when he was here. He asked if I had been in contact with anyone else from the family.

“Only Clarence’s apology text, when I was in Texas.”

“Do you want me to suggest anything to anyone? Maybe explain your exhibit? Recommend they contact you?”

“No. Please don’t. I’m not ready yet, and I’m pretty sure they aren’t either.”

“Anytime you want me to, I’ll pass along a message. Will you be at the wedding?”

“I’m still working it out in my mind.”

And so Charles remained the only family member I felt close to. I didn’t expect to hear anymore about my family until the wedding. But I was wrong. Friday arrived and Gary and I drove to the airport. Soon his car was secured in long-term parking; we were thoroughly inspected and finally airborne. It was a pleasant journey, as pleasant as flying can be, but at least it was a direct flight. Pleasant, that is, until near the end.

“Today your mother submitted her retirement papers for the end of the month. I thought you’d like to know.”

Gary broke this news to me while we were in the air, nearing Florida.

“You saved this news for the only moment when I couldn’t run away?”

He considered me, trying to determine if I were serious. I was getting better at keeping a neutral face; even better than he was. Realizing he was becoming uncomfortable, I leaned over to give him a quick kiss, followed by a smile.

“You’re evil, Toph.”

“Oh, no – you haven’t seen evil yet. Wait until she’s loose. As soon as we get back home, I’d better ask my brother Charles for Teddy’s number. The poor guy needs to be warned.”

“You don’t think she would retire just to meddle with your sister’s wedding.”

“No, of course not. Her plans are always much more complex and devious. Clarissa will be only one layer. I’m sure I will be another page in her war plan.”

It was after dark as we landed. He seemed to know where we were going, so I followed along down the arrival corridor. With nothing but our carry-on bags, there was no luggage hassle. Soon we were outside in the warm Florida evening. No sooner than we reached the curb, a shiny black Cadillac glided to a stop in front of us. The trunk popped and Gary, then I, loaded our bags. He opened the rear door and gestured for me to slide in. When he followed I heard the driver greet us with a very slight Spanish accent.

“Welcome back, Mr. Gary. I hope your flight was smooth.”

“Thank you, Rico, it was. This is my friend Toph. He’ll be joining us aboard Galene for the weekend.”

“Welcome to Florida, Mr. Toph. The crew and I will do everything possible to make your visit pleasant.”

The crew?

That question was answered soon after we arrived at the dock. Rico carried our bags as Gary and I boarded a small motorboat. I was searching the waters for our sailboat, but all I could identify was a well-lit yacht moored out in the harbor. Sure enough, Rico set a course directly for the yacht. As we approached, I could see it was a large sailing vessel, not the small craft I had expected.

“Rico, what is her length overall?”

“One hundred ninety feet.”

“What crew does she require?”

“The full complement is twelve. But this weekend we’ll only need five, including me. I also cook.”

As we came alongside, I couldn’t help but be overcome by its sleek beauty. I turned to Gary.

“This looks pretty new.”

“It is. It’s only two years old. My uncle had it designed to incorporate many technological advances. This was created for serious voyaging, which he intends to do when he retires in a few years.”

That description became obvious as we boarded. Also obvious, from the furled boom, was the fact we were on a very large sailing yacht. Gary’s cryptic comment last week that it didn’t matter if I knew how to sail made more sense now. We weren’t really sailing; we were on a cruise. It was the crew who would be sailing. I was a little disappointed in that.

It was late and we were tired. Gary led me down the companionway to our cabin, which was swank and impressive. I really had to reset my mind from what I had been expecting. Determined to enjoy the weekend, it only needed to be recalibrated a bit.

Everything became all right again when I was safely snuggled into his arms and gently rocked to sleep by the soft undulation of Galene on the calm Florida waters.

My early rising habit got me on deck immediately before dawn. The sky was brightening as I sat in a comfortable chair, facing aft, which allowed me an unimpeded view of the promising sunrise. Rico surprised me by setting down a tray containing a coffee urn, cream, sugar and two mugs.

“Thank you, Rico. I didn’t realize anyone was up.”

“Someone is always up, Mr. Toph. Do you need anything else?”

“No, no. This is wonderful. I’ll sit here and enjoy daybreak.

It wasn’t as beautiful as the Texas coast, but sunrise always offers the promise of a new day and, perhaps, a new beginning. It was a good time for contemplation. My mind returned to Gary and me. He called me his ‘friend’ to Rico. That did not sit well with me at the time, and it didn’t feel any better today. I knew it was my fault. He didn’t want to push me too hard.

I had to chuckle. We lived together. We slept in the same bed every night. We regularly made love, which was decidedly intense and satisfying. We spent most of our spare time together. Why did I have so much trouble calling our relationship what it was?

I realized the nametag didn’t really mean anything. It couldn’t make me more in love with him than I already was. It was only some stupid defense mechanism at work. Steve had been my boyfriend and it went bad. I was afraid of jinxing what Gary and I had by calling it what it really was. How foolish and infantile was I? A comparison to the blond Texas boy did not elude me. I flushed red.

“Good morning!” He gave me a sweet kiss. “Coffee! Great! How long have you been sitting on deck?”

“Since before sunrise.”

“I told Rico to get us underway.”

No sooner had he spoken than some young guys appeared on deck and I watched them prepare to do exactly that. The engines sprung to life and Galene glided toward the mouth of the harbor. The boys had her sails unfurled and I heard the engines cut off as we slipped out. Now we were on the water, rather than in it. There is no feeling as great as sensing yourself and your craft a part of the ocean. Engines drive you through the water; it’s always a conflict. On the other hand, sailing makes you a part of the water, you become one with it.

Gary said we were heading for a small island. It was nearly noon when he decided we could safely have a beer. On the way, after enjoying the feeling of life beneath me and jealously watching the boys at work, I broached the subject which worried me earlier.

“I love you.”

“I love you too, Toph.”

“I mean, I am in love with you.”

Gary’s eyes met mine. He kept them locked as he said, “I am in love with you, Toph. I am truly, completely in love with you.”

“I want this to be forever.” There, I finally had the balls to say it!

“That’s all I wish for.” He leaned over and gently kissed me.

“We’re boyfriends.” I had gained confidence.

“Yes we are. We’ve been for a while, you know.”

“I know. I only had trouble saying it.”

“Will you have any trouble saying it from now on?”

“No, Boyfriend, I won’t.”

Those words kicked off a stunning weekend where we sailed, visited some remote islands, picnicked, swam, sunbathed and made love. Rico turned out to be a great cook. We lived on Galene and, despite my original misgivings, I came to love her.

Late Sunday afternoon, Rico had returned us to port. We were in the Cadillac, on our way to the airport, when Gary promised me a real sailing week later in the summer off Maine, on a little boat his father owned. I wasn’t fooled by his use of the adjective ‘little.’ Knowing his father, I expected a bit more, but it would be a boat I could sail. That much, Gary promised.

We had arrived home late Sunday night and took the opportunity to sleep in. I was, as usual, awake early but seeing the contentment of my partner and still in his embrace, I didn’t budge from my warm cocoon. I began to remember some of the sketches I made over the weekend and that got my creative juices flowing. I could envision the colors conjured up for each of the various highlights which passed through my memory. Yes, I was sure there were several paintings queued, awaiting my labor to release them.

“How long have you been awake?”

“Hours.”

“You didn’t sneak away this time.”

“No. I was too comfortable in your arms.”

“My arms belong to you. I hope you’re always contented here.”

That earned him a kiss. But it was long past time to get up.

“I’m going to Naomi’s to begin painting some of the drawings from our trip. Are you going to work?”

“Yes. I’d better put in some hours. I’ll meet you at the gallery later, if you want.”

“I want.”

I did bring my drawings with me to Naomi’s and told her to take a break for a few hours. Mondays are usually slow for the store, so I was able to get well into my first painting, which was of the sleek craft, Galene, moored in that isolated cove where we skinny-dipped. After swimming, we had returned to dry off and dress. It was then we launched a small boat with a picnic and my sketchpad. I could still feel the warmth of the sun and my love as we explored and then ate on the little beach. That was when I made my sketch. It was gratifying that the sense of place, which I remembered, was able to emerge in my new work, rather than simply being a painting of a yacht.

When Naomi returned, I left for the gallery. Unbelievably, there were still a few people there enjoying the show. Luke told me the traffic had pretty much been stable since it began. He then told me that Texas Boys, as I decided to name the work, was becoming a larger attraction. I didn’t know quite what to make of it.

I enjoyed conversing with the patrons, a few of whom told me they were from Euphoria. Luckily, they were not people I knew. But I did worry that they could possibly recognize my last name, Denny. After all, it was on the program. If they had, they never brought it up in our conversations.

Eventually Gary arrived. I only noticed when I glanced at the entry foyer and saw him in conversation with Luke. When I wandered over, Luke asked me about the paintings from our weekend. I gathered Gary must have told him, or possibly Naomi called. It didn’t matter; I would probably have shown him anyway. But he wished to visit Naomi’s to set a price for them as each was finished.

“You’re gaining a bit of a reputation, Toph. Naomi’s might find itself even more popular when it becomes known your paintings are shown there. You really need prices on them.”

“If you think so. I guess you’re my agent now, Luke.” I chuckled. It was then that Gary suggested we unwind from the trip at Belsorriso’s. I was never going to argue with that proposal! And so our ‘weekend’ concluded with the lovely strains of violin music, spaghetti aglio e olio, and intense lovemaking.

The next day was more challenging. Deciding to take a break from painting, I came home for a quick sandwich. I checked the mailbox to discover two envelopes had arrived for me. I opened the larger one first. It was the invitation to Clarissa’s wedding, which was to be on Saturday, the twenty-seventh of July. Of course it contained a little RSVP return card. Realizing Gary and I needed to discuss this, I placed it on the entry table and turned my attention to the second. It was a small note card with flowers on the front. When I opened it, a sound got caught in my throat.

 

Dearest Toph,

I hope you understand that I love you, and always have.

Mother

 

That little message made me choke on the breath I had been holding. I decided to file it in my back pocket for future review. The thought occurred to me that I had neglected to send her a card on Mother’s Day, which was the twelfth. Perhaps that was behind the note, or perhaps not. Before I left for the gallery, a text arrived from Charles.

“I received my invitation from Clarissa, and suppose you have too.”

“Yes, I opened it just now, actually.”

“Are you going to attend?”

“I might. Gary and I need to talk about it first.”

“You really should. Teddy wants to meet you.”

“Why?”

“He seems intrigued by you.”

“Really?”

“He knew you existed, and that you lived nearby, so he asked me about you.”

“And what did you tell him?”

“Ha! Don’t worry, I made you sound nice! But I did describe you as my most interesting brother. I only recounted your dramatic farewell scene.”

“And now he wants to meet me?”

“Oh, yes.”

“Why did he ask you, and not Clarissa?”

“That isn’t the way Teddy works.”

“???”

“He doesn’t like to spend too much time trying to decipher hidden meanings. He always goes to the best source first – so he told me.”

“I think that makes me want to meet him too. I’m pretty sure we’ll go, but I do need to talk with Gary first.”

“I understand.”

By now I had an enormous amount of anxiety and couldn’t do anything important until Gary came home and we spoke. I spent the rest of the afternoon preparing a canvass in my home studio, choosing the next sketch, arranging brushes, cleaning the kitchen, browning meat, peeling potatoes and carrots and bringing a beef stew together, then setting it to simmer for a few hours. It was all mindless stuff and it did actually calm me down.

Finally Gary arrived and we went to the gym. I figured after the physical workout I could be calm and collected when discussing my family. It began at the tail end of our ride home.

“We received Clarissa’s invitation today.”

“Oh, good. When is the wedding?”

“Saturday, July 27th.”

“Have you thought about it? I mean, earlier you seemed to agree to attend the wedding but not the reception.”

“Well, I think I want us to attend the church service.”

“OK, that’s good. Have you thought about the rest?”

“A lot, actually. Ever since Clarence sent me the apology, some of the sting of being near my family for the reception has been blunted. I was probably going to attend until the mail arrived today.”

At this point we had made it home and were entering the apartment.

“Was there something in the invitation that upset you?”

“No. That isn’t the part of the mail I was talking about.” That’s when I slipped my mother’s note from the back pocket and handed it to him as we sat down. Gary read it.

“I see. What do you make of this?”

“I don’t know what to make of it.”

“Perhaps it is what its face value suggests?”

“I doubt it. My gut instinct says she’s now on my page in her battle plan. The ‘pro’ side of the argument to attend is the fact I’ll have allies with Teddy and Charles present.”

“You’ve talked to Teddy?”

“Not yet. Charles texted, encouraging me to attend. He told me Teddy wanted to meet me. He’s ‘intrigued’ by me.”

Gary laughed. “Yes, from what you told me when we were in Texas, you two might get along quite well. Maybe too well; heaven help the rest of us.”

And so, with Gary looking over my shoulder, I filled out the RSVP, indicating *two* for the reception.

I kissed my boyfriend – it was so pleasant, thinking of him that way – and explained he was my first line of defense. I was still very wary of Mother’s war plan.

The remainder of the week found a creative spirit within me. Between Naomi’s and my home studio, I finished four paintings from the Florida weekend. They were now all displayed at Naomi’s. Luke was true to his word, and price tags were attached. My visits to the gallery also buoyed me as I met people who seemed to like me and my work. In the moments when I reflected on all this, it occurred to me that perhaps this new confidence I was experiencing might provide the missing pieces needed to defend me from whatever my mother had up her sleeve.

Saturday was the twenty-fifth and it had been weeks since I last saw Oscar. I was missing his wisdom.

“Toph! What a pleasant surprise.”

“I’m sorry to barge in like this, but I was in the neighborhood, and it’s been a while.”

“Think nothing at all of it! Come, let’s palaver on the patio. As I recall, you quite enjoy it there.”

Our little talk was nothing substantial. We floated through many topics. I mentioned what Luke had told me about the popularity of the Texas Boys and my misgivings about ever selling them. He quizzed me more on the story I had outlined.

“I’m ashamed to admit, I haven’t gone past the description I told you about. You thought it was too long and since then, with painting, the show and our trip last weekend, I really haven’t had any time to revise it or flesh it out. But the idea I had is still strong within me, and that idea will make it a very long saga.”

“Then that is what you shall write. Why don’t you try to begin filling in that outline, a little at a time. Read your notes of their conversation snippets, and I guarantee you’ll be properly motivated. Pretty soon it will be well on its way to completion. I hope you’ll share the chapters with me as you complete them. I’m really quite interested in what your concept is.”

That’s how we spent the afternoon, talking and sipping on mint juleps, if you can believe that! I only sipped on two, but it was enough to require a nap when I returned home. Joanne made our meal and we decided to stay in that Saturday night.

The final Sunday of May found us on a golf course up in the nearby hills. Gary took us out on their driving range to give me a quick lesson. I had never swung a golf club in my life.

“You’ll pick this up really fast, Toph. It’s just like tennis.”

It was decidedly not just like tennis. But after much frustration and many expletives, I could reliably launch the ball from the tee. However, I could not reliably predict where it would go after launch. The club had a small practice course of only nine holes which they called a par-three course. I’m sure it was designed to prevent players, such as me, from injuring bona fide golfers on the real course which, I must admit, was a beautiful vision, rambling over the hills. Hopefully, some day it’ll be safe for me to play there. Safe, that is, for everyone else. But if Gary’s intent was to take my mind off everything, he was successful. It was another happy day with my boyfriend. God, I love saying that word.

The final week in May would be the final week of my New Glory exhibit. Everything seemed to be progressing well. Betty and Big Joe even visited the gallery one day. That was a very pleasant surprise for me. I stole an hour here and there to write more detail into the Texas Boys’ story outline. I made a few paintings from old sketches I found in my room. There was no pressure at all, and they were rather more therapeutic than required for anything.

Charles texted one day, asking if Clarence had ever contacted me after the first conversation we had, which he hadn’t. He gave me Teddy’s number, explaining I should text him, which I did. The conversation was nothing scintillating, only establishing that he couldn’t wait to meet me and I passed along my request that Gary and I be placed nowhere near my mother’s table.

Again, everything seemed to be rolling along smoothly. This was especially true when I received Dr. Boynton’s email from Abington. He explained that I needn’t bring any of the paintings which were in Luke’s gallery. It appeared all the interviewers had visited the show! He also congratulated me again on the concept and also the quality of my work.

All seemed to be going along so well. I was a little proud that every single painting of the New Glory exhibit had sold. That was beyond any expectation I had at the beginning of the show. I was at the gallery on the final Friday. Luke had just informed me that there were several inquiries about Texas Boys. He was pretty sure it would be sold soon, although he asked to keep it in the gallery until it did. I still had misgivings about losing them.

It must have been about two in the afternoon when I turned around and froze. My body began to shiver. Entering through the front door was the Ice Queen, my mother. Thank God she hadn’t seen me. Toph immediately slipped around a corner and headed for the rear exit. He was out of the gallery, into Toph’s TeAra, and speeding blindly away, all while still trembling.

Without realizing it, or having any memory of the trip, I was at the river. I parked, and then took deep breaths. I tried to think rationally. This was far from her normal behavior. What could she be up to? I began walking on the path which parallels the river. After a long hike, my mind was still roiling. I knew this state was no use to me. I tried the opposite tactic of forgetting about the whole incident. I continued walking, thinking of Gary and me in Texas, then of us in Florida. Happy and pleasant thoughts slowly pushed the others out.

I turned and reversed course, strolling with more calmness now. I began taking note of boats on the water, other walkers and joggers, the beautiful late May afternoon and roses blooming along the shore. I knew it was wise to not return home yet. I really needed to spend the day down here to cure me of the apprehension I felt.

I walked by the Crab Shack and decided to enjoy the view with a bucket of crab. Now that I had something to busy my hands and mind, the time flew by and my attention was diverted to the task before me, when it wasn’t consumed by the view. Being in no hurry, I leisurely cracked shells and ate, thinking of the approaching Abington interview.

After I left the restaurant, I sat on a park bench. I supposed in another era, this would have been the moment to light a cigarette. I began to reflect on the fact that all my New Glory paintings had sold. The money was only one aspect of the satisfaction. The other was the realization that people enjoyed my art enough to buy it. It was such a new feeling for me to experience. It meant I had worth. I had a purpose in life. I wasn’t merely intended to exist day-to-day until my end. I had pride in myself. This might have been the first time I ever had that sensation.

Stubbing out my imaginary butt, I rose and walked to the little platform which overlooked the river. The air was calm, the sky deep blue with only small wisps of clouds about. All this was expressed in the river, reflecting a million twinkling sparkles from the sun now getting lower in the sky. The flickering pattern appeared to be opposing thoughts fighting with each other. The irony was that while clashing, they were each needed to compose the whole. It was a fascinating idea to me. All that rumination was interrupted when two familiar arms encircle me from behind. They were the very arms my boyfriend promised would always belong to me.

“I thought you might be down here. Luke was quite alarmed when you suddenly vanished. I’m afraid he’s gotten several others worried too, by calling around looking for you. When I got home there was quite a bit of concern. I tried to calm them, but left to check this place.”

“Hug me tighter Gary. I’m going to need all your help and strength.”

“Luke told me.”

“Yes, Mother is attacking.”

Copyright © 2016 skinnydragon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 39
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

There's a lot in this chapter, so I'm only going to concentrate on a few points that jumped out at me on the first read. The big one was how Toph temporarily reverted to talking about himself in the third person when he saw his mother. It was only for a few lines, but it jumped out at me and told me very powerfully that Toph was completely unnerved by her appearance. I don't know how he'll cope at the wedding, but hopefully with preparation, he'll be okay (I won't say fine, because I doubt he'll be that relaxed).

 

On that note, though, since he's been busy tearing down the walls inside his mind, he's given Gary the job of defense. It makes sense: the General is put in charge of defending his boyfriend...now that the boyfriend has healed enough to admit the relationship to himself :D

 

Finally, I couldn't help notice the date of the wedding. If there continues to be two chapters for a story month, and that this story is going to be for one year, then the wedding will be in the penultimate chapter. That indicates to me that there's going to be some sort of dramatic confrontation at the wedding. Bad dragon! Don't you know that that will be Clarissa's day and having her mother spoil it (somehow) is just not on! :P

Link to comment

:)

 

I really loved the slow-burn build-up of tension leading us to the end of the chapter, which is really only the beginning. You handled the change in Toph's maturity as far as how he reacted to his mother's presence by ceasing his running and taking the time to come to terms with it very well, too. I was curious, however, about the switch from Toph referring to himself in first person to third person in his moment of panic. I had to refer back to the initial chapter(s?) to check and see that Toph did that a bit. Once I saw that I could definitely say that it is a very good device at returning Toph momentarily to the state of his mind under the weight of his family at the beginning of the story. Cool beans.

Link to comment

I thought this chapter was lovely, part of a continuing exhibition of Toph at peace. I could revisit such a gallery every day. Toph's declaration and Gary's response only confirmed this. But then something in the light changed, and the pictures have turned darker. Why does Toph fear his mother so very much? Surely the power she possesses had attenuated since Toph fell in love with Gary. But perhaps Toph does not yet recognize this, or maybe there is something you will reveal to us soon. In any case, you have given us a remarkable chapter.

Link to comment

For the most part, the chapter was lovely, just the way that Parker described. What I find interesting is, Toph came from a life of privilege which he rejected. We don't have tons of details of his formative years, but I don't imagine he ever participated in a weekend sailing cruise despite the opportunity for such a thing being present. I think it's an interesting paradigm shift for Toph that he not only would participate in such a trip but ultimately enjoy it. Of course Gary's presence made all the difference here. Yes SD, for the moment I like Gary with Toph. At this point he's been very good to and for Toph.

 

Toph's talent is blossoming nicely, and his newfound goal of getting into Abington is essentially assured at the moment. And really he did this all on his own. His attachment to the Texas boys is something that will merit further examination. Why does he have such an emotional attachment to that specific painting?

 

So, Toph's reaction to his mother is somewhat perplexing. Toph didn't like his being around his family, and it wasn't a good environment for him to be in. Why though has his attitude toward his family in general become suddenly focused on his mother? I went back over the early chapters of the story and his mother didn't seem particularly malicious. In fact his biggest antagonists were Clarence and his father. Yes, since he left his mother has taken some decidedly invasive and manipulative measures to control Toph in some way, but she didn't seem to be the main source of his poor treatment within the family. Toph's near panic attack is interesting, again he didn't like his family, and they were somewhat toxic to be around, but they didn't seem THAT horrible. Why is his mother of all the family members he could see, suddenly evoking such a strong reaction?

Link to comment

190 foot sailboat? I'm very glad that I don't have to sand its bottom and do the anti-fouling paint. Yikes!

 

Toph is getting it together and still plumbing new depths of his own character. He seems a little surprised to find that he's a talented artist and generally a very nice person to be around. Clarissa's impending wedding has been looming larger with its potential for renewing family tension, and now, with the appearance of the Ice Queen at the gallery, we see Toph about to re-erect his defences. I hope Gary can successfully guide Toph through this upcoming ordeal, possibly with Charles' help. We don't know yet if Toph's fears are justified, but we don't have much longer to wait. Thanks, Skinny!

Link to comment

Such a nice chapter, until Toph's mother shows up. We've hardly seen her, but I don't like her attitude toward her children. Granted, we don't know how much this view of her is biased through our hero's eyes, but he is more than sensitive enough to be aware of a person's bad qualities.

 

I sincerely hope she's not going to ruin things for him, but what would the story be without a villain(ess)?

Link to comment

I read this last night. And i felt at the time that this was my favourite chapter - to date, at least. There was something about it, maybe a calmness, it was comfortable. It was more like you were writing about yourself here, i know you sail and your descriptions of the water, of the differences between motors and actual sail was so right to me.
Toph and his feelings feel right to me, too. Such a lovely chapter. Nice, SkinnyD.

Link to comment

I, too, noticed the change from first person to third person, then back to first person. I think it was a defense mechanism, maybe thinking Toph did this and Toph did that, that it wasn't really happening to him but to somebody else. If that makes sense.

 

I'm thrilled he RSVPd yes to his sister's wedding. I'm looking forward to meeting Teddy also. :)

 

I don't know what his mother is up to though. The note she sent sounds innocent enough. Why did she suddenly show up where Toph works? What's on her agenda? Oh! Maybe she's dying and she just wanted to make sure Toph knew she always loved him? Yeah, no, that wouldn't be good. Unless of course Toph makes all amends with her...

 

I really enjoyed reading about Toph's relaxing weekend sailing off the coast of Florida. He needs to get away more often! He's also matured enough to finally admit to Gary he's in love with him and to put a label on their relationship. :) I'm proud of him! :D

Link to comment

I'm glad Toph escaped when his mother arrived. Gary may be a wonderful boyfriend in all other ways, but I don't like it when he tries to pressure Toph about Mrs Denny. All my distrust of Gary returns when he suddenly informs Toph about her pending retirement or suggests the 'love' note is actually genuine. It makes me think Gary considers Toph an immature and petulant child who is wrong about his mother, instead of at least considering the fact that Toph ran away from home for a reason, and there are other people (eg Teddy) who finds her manipulative and tiresome. It may be she's not as bad as Toph makes her out to be, but Gary should believe in his boyfriend and support him rather than making him uncomfortable by dismissing those very real feelings of fear and panic which his mother causes. Gary's behavior in this matter makes me :pissed:

Link to comment
On 08/15/2016 04:32 PM, Graeme said:

There's a lot in this chapter, so I'm only going to concentrate on a few points that jumped out at me on the first read. The big one was how Toph temporarily reverted to talking about himself in the third person when he saw his mother. It was only for a few lines, but it jumped out at me and told me very powerfully that Toph was completely unnerved by her appearance. I don't know how he'll cope at the wedding, but hopefully with preparation, he'll be okay (I won't say fine, because I doubt he'll be that relaxed).

 

On that note, though, since he's been busy tearing down the walls inside his mind, he's given Gary the job of defense. It makes sense: the General is put in charge of defending his boyfriend...now that the boyfriend has healed enough to admit the relationship to himself :D

 

Finally, I couldn't help notice the date of the wedding. If there continues to be two chapters for a story month, and that this story is going to be for one year, then the wedding will be in the penultimate chapter. That indicates to me that there's going to be some sort of dramatic confrontation at the wedding. Bad dragon! Don't you know that that will be Clarissa's day and having her mother spoil it (somehow) is just not on! :P

Thank you, Graeme!

 

Yes, it didn't take long for Toph to lose all the progress he's made. At least he was able to calm himself and confront it--and he has Gary now. I can't imagine what would have happened if this were back in October.

 

Maybe everything will be resolved before Clarissa's wedding?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/15/2016 04:35 PM, Lux Apollo said:

:)

 

I really loved the slow-burn build-up of tension leading us to the end of the chapter, which is really only the beginning. You handled the change in Toph's maturity as far as how he reacted to his mother's presence by ceasing his running and taking the time to come to terms with it very well, too. I was curious, however, about the switch from Toph referring to himself in first person to third person in his moment of panic. I had to refer back to the initial chapter(s?) to check and see that Toph did that a bit. Once I saw that I could definitely say that it is a very good device at returning Toph momentarily to the state of his mind under the weight of his family at the beginning of the story. Cool beans.

Thank you, lux!

 

The mother thing was sort of there in little omens earlier in the chapter ...hehe.

 

But you're correct in recognizing that this is a different Toph now. He is much better at bouncing back.

 

I wonder if his mother will recognize that, if she ever gets another shot at him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/15/2016 10:15 PM, Parker Owens said:

I thought this chapter was lovely, part of a continuing exhibition of Toph at peace. I could revisit such a gallery every day. Toph's declaration and Gary's response only confirmed this. But then something in the light changed, and the pictures have turned darker. Why does Toph fear his mother so very much? Surely the power she possesses had attenuated since Toph fell in love with Gary. But perhaps Toph does not yet recognize this, or maybe there is something you will reveal to us soon. In any case, you have given us a remarkable chapter.

Thank you, Parker!

 

It WAS basically a good half-month for Toph, all things considered. Mom's power may have attenuated, not only because of Gary, but also because of Toph himself, although that final shock made him regress for a short while.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/15/2016 11:23 PM, spikey582 said:

For the most part, the chapter was lovely, just the way that Parker described. What I find interesting is, Toph came from a life of privilege which he rejected. We don't have tons of details of his formative years, but I don't imagine he ever participated in a weekend sailing cruise despite the opportunity for such a thing being present. I think it's an interesting paradigm shift for Toph that he not only would participate in such a trip but ultimately enjoy it. Of course Gary's presence made all the difference here. Yes SD, for the moment I like Gary with Toph. At this point he's been very good to and for Toph.

 

Toph's talent is blossoming nicely, and his newfound goal of getting into Abington is essentially assured at the moment. And really he did this all on his own. His attachment to the Texas boys is something that will merit further examination. Why does he have such an emotional attachment to that specific painting?

 

So, Toph's reaction to his mother is somewhat perplexing. Toph didn't like his being around his family, and it wasn't a good environment for him to be in. Why though has his attitude toward his family in general become suddenly focused on his mother? I went back over the early chapters of the story and his mother didn't seem particularly malicious. In fact his biggest antagonists were Clarence and his father. Yes, since he left his mother has taken some decidedly invasive and manipulative measures to control Toph in some way, but she didn't seem to be the main source of his poor treatment within the family. Toph's near panic attack is interesting, again he didn't like his family, and they were somewhat toxic to be around, but they didn't seem THAT horrible. Why is his mother of all the family members he could see, suddenly evoking such a strong reaction?

Thanks, spikey.

 

You said: "And really he did this all on his own."

I think we sometimes overlook this aspect of Toph's year. (so far)

He has come a long way since Labor Day.

 

The fear(?) of Mother is in his 'old' mind. What if she's impressed with the new Toph? I'm not saying she is, but HE called her appearance at the gallery an attack. But was it?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/16/2016 09:57 AM, jess30519 said:

190 foot sailboat? I'm very glad that I don't have to sand its bottom and do the anti-fouling paint. Yikes!

 

Toph is getting it together and still plumbing new depths of his own character. He seems a little surprised to find that he's a talented artist and generally a very nice person to be around. Clarissa's impending wedding has been looming larger with its potential for renewing family tension, and now, with the appearance of the Ice Queen at the gallery, we see Toph about to re-erect his defences. I hope Gary can successfully guide Toph through this upcoming ordeal, possibly with Charles' help. We don't know yet if Toph's fears are justified, but we don't have much longer to wait. Thanks, Skinny!

Thanks, jess!

 

My inspiration for Galene was Ethereal. Links don't work in replies, so you'll need to copy and paste this into your browser:

 

http://www.royalhuisman.com/en/yachtgallery936.html

 

--It'll be worth it. :)

 

You're right, Toph has a lot of allies now in dealing with Mother Dearest.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/16/2016 02:19 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

Such a nice chapter, until Toph's mother shows up. We've hardly seen her, but I don't like her attitude toward her children. Granted, we don't know how much this view of her is biased through our hero's eyes, but he is more than sensitive enough to be aware of a person's bad qualities.

 

I sincerely hope she's not going to ruin things for him, but what would the story be without a villain(ess)?

Thanks, CG!

 

Yes, 24 chapters of peaches and cream would get a little boring. hehe.

 

But there was a ton of good stuff for Toph in this chapter, including the fact he's becoming emotionally stronger. Plus he's got the general at his side!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/17/2016 01:20 AM, Mikiesboy said:

I read this last night. And i felt at the time that this was my favourite chapter - to date, at least. There was something about it, maybe a calmness, it was comfortable. It was more like you were writing about yourself here, i know you sail and your descriptions of the water, of the differences between motors and actual sail was so right to me.

Toph and his feelings feel right to me, too. Such a lovely chapter. Nice, SkinnyD.

Thank you, tim!

 

And thanks so much for your kind words. I sort of thought it was a great chapter for Toph too (minus the mother stuff).

 

Maybe I added all the sailing feelings because I got screwed out of sailing off Maine this July. :(

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/17/2016 02:00 PM, Lisa said:

I, too, noticed the change from first person to third person, then back to first person. I think it was a defense mechanism, maybe thinking Toph did this and Toph did that, that it wasn't really happening to him but to somebody else. If that makes sense.

 

I'm thrilled he RSVPd yes to his sister's wedding. I'm looking forward to meeting Teddy also. :)

 

I don't know what his mother is up to though. The note she sent sounds innocent enough. Why did she suddenly show up where Toph works? What's on her agenda? Oh! Maybe she's dying and she just wanted to make sure Toph knew she always loved him? Yeah, no, that wouldn't be good. Unless of course Toph makes all amends with her...

 

I really enjoyed reading about Toph's relaxing weekend sailing off the coast of Florida. He needs to get away more often! He's also matured enough to finally admit to Gary he's in love with him and to put a label on their relationship. :) I'm proud of him! :D

Thank you, Lisa!

 

It was mature to agree to attend the wedding. Actually, I thought Toph came a long way in this chapter--notwithstanding that moment of panic at the end.

 

Maybe it's time to connect with Teddy and take over Dennydom!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/18/2016 04:17 AM, Timothy M. said:

I'm glad Toph escaped when his mother arrived. Gary may be a wonderful boyfriend in all other ways, but I don't like it when he tries to pressure Toph about Mrs Denny. All my distrust of Gary returns when he suddenly informs Toph about her pending retirement or suggests the 'love' note is actually genuine. It makes me think Gary considers Toph an immature and petulant child who is wrong about his mother, instead of at least considering the fact that Toph ran away from home for a reason, and there are other people (eg Teddy) who finds her manipulative and tiresome. It may be she's not as bad as Toph makes her out to be, but Gary should believe in his boyfriend and support him rather than making him uncomfortable by dismissing those very real feelings of fear and panic which his mother causes. Gary's behavior in this matter makes me :pissed:

Thanks, Tim!

 

Didn't you interpret Gary's retirement bulletin as alerting Toph rather than pushing him?

 

Maybe Gary is slowly evolving. Maybe it's Toph who will ultimately be pushing Gary around. :o

Link to comment

I suppose it's interesting to place this chapter in the context of the earlier Texas vacation installment. For me, the question is, is Toph continuing to grow? Earlier we had him ecstatic and comparing his love to the colors of a sunrise; here he have him only now accepting their relationship as boyfriend and boyfriend. His discussion with Gary about semantics and feeling hurt by Steve, whom he considered his bf, is very telling.

 

So, at the end, the spectre of Mother raises her Medusa head and retreats Toph into himself….BUT Gary is there, embracing from behind, and the infantile retreat is halted.

 

In case you can't tell, I really liked this chapter. Lots to think about, and I like to think ;)

Link to comment
On 08/19/2016 02:31 AM, AC Benus said:

I suppose it's interesting to place this chapter in the context of the earlier Texas vacation installment. For me, the question is, is Toph continuing to grow? Earlier we had him ecstatic and comparing his love to the colors of a sunrise; here he have him only now accepting their relationship as boyfriend and boyfriend. His discussion with Gary about semantics and feeling hurt by Steve, whom he considered his bf, is very telling.

 

So, at the end, the spectre of Mother raises her Medusa head and retreats Toph into himself….BUT Gary is there, embracing from behind, and the infantile retreat is halted.

 

In case you can't tell, I really liked this chapter. Lots to think about, and I like to think ;)

Thanks, AC!

 

I appreciate your comparison of the two chapters. They were two steps in Toph's journey, the second impossible without the first.

 

Despite the regressive jolt at the end of May, his newly named 'boyfriend,' now protector, has materialized to have his back.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Very nice chapter and amazing story, congratulations!
I am glad that Toph, although already intellectually mature, seems to be growing emotionally as well. Family though still disturbs him bad. I hope that he and Gary stay together in the forever he looks for after Steven. I was a bit uneasy of Gary at first, but now he seems to be what Toph needs, even if they have almost a 10 year difference (by the way, when is Gary's birthday?). He could always read him and help him since the beginning, but gave Toph the space he needed. I think he understood when they meet that he was falling in love with a scared boy, and waited until Toph grew into a young man.
And actually, although Toph would probably prefer to date a middle class boy (that would definitely annoy his dear mother), dating a socially and financially "superior" than his own family, previously mother's boss, without any interference from his family, is the shield he needed to face his family. It is almost ironic, he did the "best mariage" without being a heartless snob :P

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/24/2016 01:30 AM, sweetlion86 said:

Very nice chapter and amazing story, congratulations!

I am glad that Toph, although already intellectually mature, seems to be growing emotionally as well. Family though still disturbs him bad. I hope that he and Gary stay together in the forever he looks for after Steven. I was a bit uneasy of Gary at first, but now he seems to be what Toph needs, even if they have almost a 10 year difference (by the way, when is Gary's birthday?). He could always read him and help him since the beginning, but gave Toph the space he needed. I think he understood when they meet that he was falling in love with a scared boy, and waited until Toph grew into a young man.

And actually, although Toph would probably prefer to date a middle class boy (that would definitely annoy his dear mother), dating a socially and financially "superior" than his own family, previously mother's boss, without any interference from his family, is the shield he needed to face his family. It is almost ironic, he did the "best mariage" without being a heartless snob :P

Thank you so much, sweetlion!

 

I appreciate the way you interpreted Gary and his appraisal of the 'scared boy' he was falling for. Also for detecting the irony of class conflict and what we expect will be the ultimate conclusion.

 

btw Gary's bday is fast approaching!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..