Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 1,064 Words
  • 1,741 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2014 Prompt Responses - 21. Prompt 327

Adam has concerns about his friend's new boyfriend. Will having them over for dinner alleviate those concerns?

“What, exactly, is your problem with Vincent? He’s a great guy and he’s done wonders for Tom.”

I shifted in Sy’s arms, turning to face him. “I think it’s great that Tom isn’t so focused on work anymore, but he’s really withdrawn from us since he met Vincent.”

Sy smirked at me. “Yeah, hun. It’s called ‘getting regular sex’. I wouldn’t be hanging around us, either.”

I playfully hit his shoulder. “It’s not just that. We used to meet for lunch all the time and we haven’t since he started dating Vincent. Tom’s always been such a sun-worshipper and now he’s so pale. Now that I think about it, we only ever see him at night anymore.”

Sy rolled his eyes. “So, what, you think he’s a vampire or something? I know we call him ‘bloodsucker’, but geeze… it’s a joke!” Sy laughed.

I frowned. I kinda did think that.

Sy looked at me incredulously. “Please tell me you’re kidding.”

“Have you noticed how drawn people are to Vincent? He always has a flock of people around him, but they’re always different people. Nobody seems to stay around him very long. That seems odd for such a ‘great’ person. He never eats when we go out and Tom’s neck is always covered now.” I shuddered. “I bet he has bite marks.”

Sy stifled a laugh. “Yeah, hun, they’re called hickeys.” He nuzzled into my neck. “I seem to recall giving you a few of those, and I’m not a vampire…” He kissed and nibbled my neck.

I squirmed away. “Stop! I’m serious. I’m really worried about Tom.”

Sy sighed in exasperation. “Why don’t we have them over for dinner? You can get to know Vincent better and see for yourself what a great guy he is.”

“Ok… I guess...” I wasn’t that thrilled at the thought of having Vincent in my home; although I did really miss Tom.

“You can make blood pudding. Just don’t use any garlic. Oh, and don’t use the good silver, either.” Sy failed miserably at controlling his laughter.

“Ha. Ha. Ha. Asshole,” I muttered. “I’ll use the good silver. Silver affects werewolves, not vampires.”

Sy laughed even harder.

*****

Tom and Vincent were thrilled to accept our invitation. I planned an Italian menu for dinner, heavy on the garlic. I didn’t tell Sy, but I stopped at the local church and filled two gallon jugs with Holy Water. The confused priest didn’t seem to think that boiling the water and cooking pasta in it would taint the Holiness of the water. I was also planning on using it as our drinking water. I bought two necklaces with crosses, but Sy wouldn’t wear his. He said he refused to play into my delusion.

I had the lasagna in the oven and had just finished making the garlic bread when the doorbell rang. Sy was still getting dressed so I answered the door. I plastered on a fake smile. “Tom! It’s so good to see you!” I gave him a big hug. I nodded at his companion. “Vincent. I’m glad you could make it.”

Vincent smiled at me disarmingly. I had to admit the man was gorgeous. “Adam, it’s very gracious of you to have us over for dinner.” He paused as we all stood in the doorway. “Aren’t you going to invite us in?”

My heart leaped into my throat. Vampires needed to be invited into your house. “Uh –“

“Tom! Vincent! Please come in! It’s so good to see you both.” Sy put his hands on my shoulders and not so gently led me away from the door.

I headed into the kitchen to check on dinner as Sy led our guests to the living room. He entered the kitchen a minute later to pour them their requested drinks. Dinner wouldn’t be ready for another half hour, so I joined Sy in the living room.

Vincent kept up a steady flow of conversation, and it was easy to see how people fell for his charm. He kept looking at me surreptitiously and giving me sly smiles. I pretended to discretely flirt back with him, but inside I just felt nauseous. When I left to finish getting dinner ready, Vincent followed me. I turned on the burner to start heating up the veggies. Vincent put his hands on my shoulders and leaned into me. “Everything smells fantastic,” he murmured into my ear.

I wiggled away, smiling at him coyly. “Sy might see you.”

Vincent smiled at me predatorily. “So friends can’t flirt?”

I moved past him to grab the garlic bread and put it in the oven. “Why don’t you have a seat? Dinner is just about ready.”

His hand trailed along my back as he headed into the dining room. I shuddered.

After everyone was seated, I brought out the lasagna, veggies, and garlic bread. When Vincent took his first bite of lasagna he started choking and coughing. He was bright red. I ran to the kitchen and poured a glass of the holy water. I handed it to him and he took a sip. He coughed again and sprayed the water all over his plate. I raised an eyebrow at him and subconsciously grabbed my necklace. Once Vincent’s coughing fit calmed down he smiled at me with a dark expression in his eyes. “Sorry about that. It just went down the wrong way. I wasn’t expecting warm water, either. You have my sincere apologies for making such a mess.”

Sy cleaned up Vincent’s plate and brought him a new one. The rest of the dinner was uneventful. It was nice being around Tom again and the conversation was light and pleasant. I managed to temporarily forget my concerns about Vincent.

When it was time for Tom and Vincent to leave, Vincent hung back while Sy and Tom chatted. He looked at me with the same dark expression in his eyes that he had after the choking incident. This time, though, there was a hint of amusement, too. He leaned close to me and whispered, “Nice try, Adam. Garlic and holy water are old wives tales.” He smiled at me, giving me a glimpse of sharp canines. He winked at me as his eyes glowed faintly red. “It was so nice of you to invite me in, though. I’m sure I’ll be seeing you again real soon.”

My response to Prompt 327:
He was a lawyer and most of your friends referred to him as a bloodsucker. He seemed to run after the ambulances and encourage people to sue, but then he met Vincent and work took a back seat for him. Vincent was dark, broody, and made everyone, male or female, just seem to want to be at his side, but most seemed to disappear once they did. Your lawyer friend is changing and you wonder is becoming a real bloodsucker. What do you do?
Copyright © 2014 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

:funny: That was fun. So he was a vampire and he has been invited and can come back :funny: Great prompt :great:
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 05/27/2014 05:35 AM, Slytherin said:
:funny: That was fun. So he was a vampire and he has been invited and can come back :funny: Great prompt :great:
Thanks :) Yup, he was a vampire. I'm not so sure Adam is going to want him to come back, though. :/ I'm glad you liked it. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Twisted little tale. So he really was a vampire. hmmm. Food for thought. And I'd do all I could to revoke that invite. :lol:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 05/27/2014 02:05 PM, comicfan said:
Twisted little tale. So he really was a vampire. hmmm. Food for thought. And I'd do all I could to revoke that invite. :lol:
Hopefully Adam will be successful in doing just that. But he has to leave the house sometime... :devil: Thanks for reviewing. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..