Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 889 Words
  • 2,437 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2014 Prompt Responses - 32. Prompt 354

span style="font-size:1em;line-height:1.3em;">Use the following in a story – bottle of pills, birth announcement, a balloon, a scuffed sneaker, and a new car.

I lay on the couch contemplating whether or not I wanted to actually take the pills in the bottle in my hand. I read the label for the hundredth time. Prozac – take one pill by mouth at night. I frowned. I didn’t want to take them, but Bill insisted that I needed to. I set the bottle on the coffee table next to a flower arrangement on its last legs. The powder blue basket was surrounded by brown-edged daisy petals and the baby shaped balloon sagged halfway to the table.

I picked up the birth announcement that lay next to it and held it to my chest. I didn’t need to read it to know what it said. Baby boy Sullivan, Due date July 15, 2014.

So I’d been a bit down since the adoptive mother changed her mind and decided to keep the baby and raise him herself. It didn’t mean I needed medication. Everyone felt down sometimes, right? I exhaled sharply. I suppose not everyone spends an entire week in bed.

I heard the front door open just as the tears began to fall. I closed my eyes. I didn’t want to see Bill’s look of pity. He ran his hand through my hair and caressed my cheek, brushing the tears away. I sat up and melted into his embrace. He kissed the top of my head.

“How did your appointment go?”

“Ok, I guess,” I replied. “They prescribed medication, just like you said they would. It’s sitting on the table.”

“Did you take any yet?”

I sighed. “Not yet. I’m supposed to take it at night.”

“I know how hard this is for you. I’m so proud of you, sweetheart.”

I scoffed. “Proud of me for having a complete meltdown?”

He moved to sit next to me, keeping his arms around me. “I’m proud of you for realizing that there’s nothing wrong with needing a little help once in a while.”

I looked at him skeptically. “Sandy called. She wants to come to dinner tomorrow. I told her ok. I hope you didn’t make any plans. She was pretty insistent.”

Bill laughed. “You know you can’t say no to my sister. Tomorrow sounds great. Are you up to cooking? I can’t take the day off, so I’ll be home around 5:00.”

“Yeah. I’ll be fine.”

“She probably just wants to show off her new car. She won’t shut up about it.”

I swung my feet around so I could lie back against Bill’s chest. He kicked off his sneakers before joining me.

“You just bought those things and scuffed them up already?”

He shrugged. “I can’t help it if I’m a klutz. Did you start anything for dinner?”

I shook my head. “I thought we could just order something.”

Bill tightened his arms around me. “Sweetheart, we can’t keep ordering out every night. It’s too expensive. Besides, I thought you planned some meals? What happened?”

He was right. I had planned some meals, but that appointment today really threw me. I talked about a lot of things I really hadn’t planned on. It was draining. Bill picked the birth announcement up off the floor and set it on the table.

“Rudy… It’ll be ok, hun. I know how much this last one hurt, but another one will come along, you’ll see.”

“This was the third time. We’ve been waiting two years! Maybe we’re just not meant to be parents.”

“Don’t talk like that. We’ll be great parents. The right one will come along. We just need to be patient. Now, what should be order for dinner?”

*****

“Oh my God, Rudy! This tastes amazing! You should cook more often.” Sandy gushed around a mouthful of beef stroganoff.

“Thanks. I’m planning on it.”

“So where’s the rest of the clan?” Bill asked.

“Jack has rugrat duty tonight. I wanted to talk to you guys without hearing ‘mommy’ being yelled every five seconds.”

I smiled wanly. It wasn’t easy hearing about Sandy’s three children when Bill and I couldn’t even get one.

Sandy smiled at me reassuringly and took my hand. “I know it’s been hard on you guys and you’ve been waiting so long. It’s really not right that two such awesome people should be childless.” She took a deep breath. “Jack and I have been talking and we’ve decided that three children are enough. We’ve been so blessed, but I was thinking of getting my tubes tied.”

Bill looked at her in confusion. “Ok… that’s great, sis, but why the private dinner to tell us something that’s really between you and Jack?”

She squeezed my hand. “Because I want to undergo one more procedure before the surgery and I need your permission to do it. Well, that and Rudy’s sperm.”

Bill spewed the sip of coffee he just took all over the table. “What?”

I stared at her incredulously.

“Well, it needs to be Rudy’s because although I love you guys, I draw the line at having my brother’s baby. You don’t have to give me an answer now. Just know that I am willing to be your surrogate and Jack is with us 100%.”

Bill and I stood up at the same time and rushed over to embrace Sandy. I’m pretty sure all three of us were crying.

“Thank you,” I whispered.

Thanks for reading! Please leave me a review and let me know how you liked the story. :)
Copyright © 2014 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator
On 09/21/2014 03:26 AM, Carlos Hazday said:
Best of all possible solutions, the kid will have the DNA from both it's dads. :D
Agreed. :) Thanks for reading. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/21/2014 05:08 AM, Ron said:
Does that mean Rudy doesn't have to take the Prozac? :P
I'm thinking not... lol :)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/21/2014 05:47 AM, Caz Pedroso said:
A lovely sweet story. :read::2thumbs:
Thanks :) I appreciate the review :)
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/21/2014 02:58 PM, ColumbusGuy said:
Another great piece, Valkyrie--I especially like the scene at the end with her announcement!
Thanks so much! :) I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. :)
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/21/2014 07:13 PM, Slytherin said:
:,( That was so sweet :hug: and I thought Rudy was a girl :P Lovely Little story :hug:
LOL Nope... Rudy is definitely a man! Thanks for reading! :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/21/2014 07:41 PM, Suvitar said:
I´m sure they´ll be great dads :hug:
Me, too. :) Thanks for reviewing!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..