Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 1,594 Words
  • 2,220 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2014 Prompt Responses - 36. Prompt 370

Prompt 370 - List of words - turkey, gift, flowers, blue sweater, and a pen

Today was going to suck. It’s not like I was a big fan of Thanksgiving to begin with, but this year was even suckier than usual. I had recently moved to start my dream job and didn’t know too many people in the area. My family was about a thousand miles away and since I was perpetually single, I had no one to share the day with. My boss found out I was planning on spending the day alone and insisted that I come spend the day with her and her family.

Turn left on Sunshine Avenue in one half mile.

The voice of the GPS sounded way too chipper. I’d have to play with the settings and see if I could find something a bit more morose. And who the hell lives on ‘Sunshine Avenue’? Happy Funshine Bear? I shook my head grumpily.

Your destination is 500 yards on the right.

I slowed my car and pulled next to the curb in front of a gray-sided house. It was a typical suburban colonial decked out for the fall. There were mums still flowering in pots on the front porch and cornstalks and hay bales adorning the front flower beds. It reminded me of my parents’ home.

I fished in the glovebox for a pen and signed the thank-you card I had just purchased. I put it in the bag containing the chocolates I had bought for a hostess gift. I exited my car, clutching the gift bag in one hand and the side dish of cheesy cauliflower casserole I made in the other. I bumped the door shut with my hip and proceeded up the walkway, checking out the giant inflated turkey and pilgrims occupying half the front lawn. I managed to wrestle everything into one arm in order to ring the doorbell and waited for someone to open the door.

“Rob! I’m so glad you made it!” Sherrie, my boss, motioned me inside.

I plastered on a fake smile. “Me, too. Thanks so much for inviting me.”

“Nonsense! There’s no way I’m going to let one of my employees spend Thanksgiving alone.”

A crash followed by a loud wail emanated from the room to our left.

“Mommy!” A little girl ran up to Sherrie and latched onto her legs, sobbing. “Andy was pretending he was a zombie and bit me!”

Sherrie looked at me apologetically. “I need to take care of this. You can put your casserole in the kitchen. Feel free to pop it in the oven if it needs to be heated up.” She headed into the living room with the zombie victim in her arms.

As I rounded the corner to the kitchen, someone else was exiting at the same time and we collided, spilling the glass of red wine the man was holding all over his sweater. I managed to hold onto my casserole, but almost dropped it when I got a good look at the man I ran into. He had auburn hair, hazel eyes, and a physique to die for. He was dressed in khakis and a blue sweater over a button down shirt with a tie. He was the most gorgeous man I had ever met.

He grabbed for the casserole dish as it slid from my hands, and I turned bright red with embarrassment.

“I’m so sorry!” I managed to say.

“It’s no problem. If I get it into the washer right away hopefully it won’t stain.” He set the casserole dish down on the counter. “I’m Jack.”

“Rob.” I shook his hand.

He gave me an appraising look. “Nice to meet you.”

I smiled as my eyes drifted down, then back up. “Likewise.” He looked amused.

Sherrie fluttered into the kitchen and immediately latched onto Jack.

“Oh sweetie, what happened to your new sweater?”

Sweetie? Damn! I was perving on my boss’ husband.

“Just a little traffic accident. It should be fine if I get it in the wash right away.” He smiled at me as he left the kitchen, removing his shirt. I stared after him, entranced. I jumped when I felt a hand on my shoulder.

“C’mon. Let me introduce you to the rest of the gang.” Sherrie guided me into the family room off the kitchen. It was full of people conversing and laughing.

I am horrible at names, so I knew there was no way I’d remember everyone she introduced me to. The only one that stood out was Jack, and I was embarrassed as hell at being caught checking out my boss’ hot husband.

I sat on the couch next to an elderly lady who wasted no time in quizzing me on every aspect of my life. After the third round of the same questions, I heard a low chuckle. I looked up to see an amused Jack.

“Aunt Sheila, that’s enough. It’s time for dinner.” He helped her to her feet and guided her into the dining room, pulling out her chair and getting her settled before taking a seat next to me.

“I hope she didn’t drive you too nuts. She has dementia and likes to repeat herself constantly.”

“I don’t mind. She’s really sweet.”

“Jack, honey, would you do the honor of carving the turkey this year?” Sherrie held up the carving knife.

“Sure.” Jack moved to the head of the table and proceeded to carve the turkey. There was enough food to feed several armies and it all smelled wonderful. He returned to his seat after he finished carving. Our hands touched with a shock of static as he passed me the mashed potatoes and he laughed.

“I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who inspired actual sparks before.” He winked.

I laughed. “I find that hard to believe.”

“So, Rob…tell us all about you. Are you single?” A woman sitting across from me asked. I remembered that she was Sherrie’s sister, but couldn’t remember her name.

“Nancy!” Sherrie looked mortified.

“What? He’s pretty hot so I was just wondering if there was a lady Rob.”

I glanced at Jack before replying. “No, there’s no ‘lady Rob’.” I swore the look on Jack’s face was one of relief.

Nancy smirked. “What about a ‘gentleman Rob’?”

I blushed crimson. “No, I don’t have one of those, either.”

She grinned. “Good.” I wasn’t sure what she meant by that or if I should have lied and said I was seeing someone.

After dinner I helped clear the table and Jack washed the dishes as Sherrie and her sister cleaned up the leftover food. I grabbed a towel and walked over to Jack.

“Would you like me to dry?”

He grinned. “Sure, that’d be great.” He handed me a pan he had just finished washing. We worked together in companionable silence, occasionally bumping shoulders and hands as we exchanged dishes and glances in the small kitchen space.

I felt very at ease with Sherrie’s family. I was pleasantly surprised that the day turned out much better than I was expecting. At least it was until I walked into the kitchen to return my dishes after dessert and found Jack and Sherrie embracing. I felt like a fool for flirting with Sherrie’s husband all day. I really liked him, but at the same time felt a pang of disrespect for him since he had been flirting back. I set the dishes down as Jack looked at me. My disappointment must have shown on my face since he looked chagrined.

“Rob…” he started.

“Sherrie, thanks so much for inviting me to spend the day with you and your family. I had a great time, but I need to get going.”

“Are you sure? We’ve just loved having you here.”

I nodded, avoiding looking at Jack. “Yeah. I’m sure. Everything was delightful.”

I said my goodbyes to Aunt Sheila – who insisted I was her nephew and gave me a big hug and kiss – and the rest of the family before heading out the door. I was just about to open the car door when I heard someone say, “Rob! Wait a minute!”

Jack jogged down the sidewalk and stopped in front of me. “I had a great time today.”

I smiled ruefully. “So did I.”

“I mean it, Rob. I hate holidays. I love my family, but I get so sick of the questions every year. You really made things bearable this year. Thank you.”

“I’ll be honest and say I had a much better time than I was expecting to. It isn’t easy being a part of a family holiday with people you’ve never met.”

“I’d really like to see you again.”

I raised my eyebrow. “What would your wife think about that? I’m sorry, Jack. I really like you, but I don’t date married guys.”

He looked at me quizzically. “Wife? I’m not married.” He stepped closer to me. “I haven’t met the right guy yet to even consider marriage.”

I was dumbfounded. “But I thought you and Sherrie…She called you ‘sweetie’ and I thought…”

He laughed so hard I thought he was going to piss himself. “Oh my God! You thought me and Sherrie…” When he composed himself he ran his fingers through my hair, resting his hand along the back of my head. “Sherrie is my sister. She calls everyone ‘sweetie’.”

I laughed in relief as he drew me into an embrace. I wrapped my arms around him and breathed in the scent of his cologne.

“So can I see you again?” he whispered into my hair.

“I’d like that,” I replied.

Thanks for reading! I hope you liked this Thanksgiving prompt! :)
Copyright © 2014 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

:funny: Sunshine avenue where Happy Finshine Bear lives :funny: Is there a Grumpy street or Little Blue ville ? :lol: and a zombie wannabe too :lol:

nice prompt, good thing he was the boss's brother :thumbup: and not the hubby. Sweet, just the way I like Thanksgiving stories. Pity we don't celebrate Thanksgiving here :unsure2::2thumbs:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

My first instinct said that he was a brother. But when a husband didn't materialize I thought I was wrong. I was so relieved to find out Jack was single and interested in Rob. And all those match making ladies must be too. :lol:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 11/15/2014 06:45 AM, Slytherin said:
:funny: Sunshine avenue where Happy Finshine Bear lives :funny: Is there a Grumpy street or Little Blue ville ? :lol: and a zombie wannabe too :lol:

nice prompt, good thing he was the boss's brother :thumbup: and not the hubby. Sweet, just the way I like Thanksgiving stories. Pity we don't celebrate Thanksgiving here :unsure2::2thumbs:

I'll have to try and work 'Grumpy Street' or 'Blueville' into my next Prompt! LOL I'm glad you liked it. :)
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 11/15/2014 06:49 AM, Timothy M. said:
My first instinct said that he was a brother. But when a husband didn't materialize I thought I was wrong. I was so relieved to find out Jack was single and interested in Rob. And all those match making ladies must be too. :lol:
I'm pretty sure that Sherrie had an ulterior motive when she invited Rob to dinner. ;) Thanks for the review! :)
  • Like 2
Link to comment

Okay Val. Now we need the next chapter when Rob gets his hands on Jack's giblets!!! Hahaha!! I loved the story. It's ready for more. ;)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Oh heck, what's a holiday without a modicum of confusion? You did a great job of keeping this upbeat even when the MC wasn't feeling it. Nice.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Awww, I'm so glad Jack was the brother. Short and sweet and I love a feel good story anytime. :) Thank you!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

You had me smiling the whole time.Pretty skillful writing-- I figured out Rob was not gonna be the husband right away but you still kept me interested enough that I didn't mind knowing the ending and, as I said, I read with a smile on my face.

Guess we took different approaches, I tried to avoid the Thanksgiving theme :gikkle:

For some reason, the stupid blue sweater was the hardest one to work in!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 11/15/2014 07:11 AM, Cole Matthews said:
Okay Val. Now we need the next chapter when Rob gets his hands on Jack's giblets!!! Hahaha!! I loved the story. It's ready for more. ;)
OMG I'm dying here! These guys are still rattling around in my brain, so I have a feeling they will show up for at least another Prompt. I want to know how their first date goes, giblet handling or not! LMAO!
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 11/15/2014 07:11 AM, Ron said:
Oh heck, what's a holiday without a modicum of confusion? You did a great job of keeping this upbeat even when the MC wasn't feeling it. Nice.
Thanks, Ron. I usually dread the holidays, so I wanted to do something upbeat. :)
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 11/15/2014 07:14 AM, joann414 said:
Awww, I'm so glad Jack was the brother. Short and sweet and I love a feel good story anytime. :) Thank you!!!
Thanks for reading, Joann. :) I'm glad you liked it!
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 11/15/2014 07:21 AM, Carlos Hazday said:
You had me smiling the whole time.Pretty skillful writing-- I figured out Rob was not gonna be the husband right away but you still kept me interested enough that I didn't mind knowing the ending and, as I said, I read with a smile on my face.

Guess we took different approaches, I tried to avoid the Thanksgiving theme :gikkle:

For some reason, the stupid blue sweater was the hardest one to work in!

I'll have to go check your Prompt out. :) I actually found the hardest one to work in was the pen. I'm glad I kept your interest and put a smile on your face. Thanks for reading! :)
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 11/15/2014 07:49 AM, aditus said:
I had so much fun reading this! Thank you Val!
Thanks for reading, Addy! :) I'm so glad you liked it. :)
Link to comment

Another great story. Very satisfying and heart-warming with a touch of humour. I loved it. I'm going to have to make some time to read over more of your stories. The two I have read so far are absolute winners.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 11/16/2014 12:31 AM, Jaro_423 said:
Another great story. Very satisfying and heart-warming with a touch of humour. I loved it. I'm going to have to make some time to read over more of your stories. The two I have read so far are absolute winners.
Thanks so much, Jaro! :) I hope you like my others stories, too. :)
Link to comment

Great little story. I never know where these things will take the author and what they will come up with. I really enjoyed that and unlike some, I was confused through most of it trying to figure out why the boss's husband was hitting on him. Deftly handled. Hmm. The pen was the issue? Never would have guessed. You worked the words in flawlessly. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

That was sweet and funny! Nice little Rom-Com mix, in such a small package! Great job. :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 11/16/2014 03:49 PM, comicfan said:
Great little story. I never know where these things will take the author and what they will come up with. I really enjoyed that and unlike some, I was confused through most of it trying to figure out why the boss's husband was hitting on him. Deftly handled. Hmm. The pen was the issue? Never would have guessed. You worked the words in flawlessly. :)
Thanks so much, Wayne :) I had to add the pen in after I finished the story. I'm glad it worked.
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 11/16/2014 03:50 PM, Cia said:
That was sweet and funny! Nice little Rom-Com mix, in such a small package! Great job. :)
Thanks! I appreciate the review :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..