Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 1,352 Words
  • 2,379 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2014 Prompt Responses - 33. Prompt 358

Use the following in a story – fall leaves, rain storm, blue jeans, kitten, and a pizza

The windshield wipers barely cleared the rain, even on their fastest setting. I slammed on my brakes, narrowly avoiding rear ending the car that suddenly materialized in front of me. I hated rainstorms. No one wanted to get wet, so it was left to me to deliver the pizzas, wings, and subs for all the football parties. Who cares if the pizza delivery boy gets wet? At least it usually meant a few extra bucks in tips.

I turned left down Center Street and slowed to a crawl, searching for the address of my next delivery. The rain made it nearly impossible to read the house numbers. The person behind me was tailgating, so I pulled over to the side of the road to try and get my bearings. I was only a few houses away, so I crept along until I found the house I was looking for.

The rain showed no signs of letting up, so I donned my baseball cap, gathered up the customer’s order, and quickly exited the car. As I rushed up the driveway to the front door, I slipped on a pile of wet autumn leaves. The pizza and wings went flying through the air, landing on the ground shortly before I did, cushioning my fall.

The rain chose that moment to increase even more in intensity, thoroughly drenching me. I sat in utter dejection. The rain cascaded off the brim of my baseball hat like a waterfall, soaking my blue jeans and providing a freezing cold counterpoint to the hot pizza warming my ass.

“Are you ok?”

I looked up, startled. I decided that maybe I had suffered a concussion and knocked myself out because there was no way that I could still be in reality. The most gorgeous man I had ever seen knelt in front of me. His black hair was plastered to his head from the rain and his wet shirt clung to his body, showcasing his very well developed chest and arms. His jeans clung to his legs like a second skin and I sat there like an idiot, staring at him with my mouth open.

He reached out and gripped my shoulder firmly, giving me a soft shake. “Hey… did you hit your head? Are you ok?”

I managed a small nod. “Yeah, I’m fine. Just humiliated.”

He smiled warmly. “Good. Why don’t we go inside and get out of this rain?” He stood up and offered me his hand. I took it and he hauled me to my feet. I grabbed the box of wings and squashed pizza and followed him through the front door. I stood, shivering and dripping all over his floor as he took the food from me and set it on the breakfast bar separating his kitchen and living room. He grabbed his wallet from the counter and walked back over to me. He held out some money.

I shook my head. “You don’t have to pay for this. You can’t eat it… it’s all squished. I’ll call and have them refire your order. I can be back here in about a half hour. It’s on us for the inconvenience.”

He took my hand and pressed the money into it. “Then consider this your tip.”

I looked at him in shock. “I can’t accept that! It’s my fault your dinner was ruined!”

He chuckled as he closed my hand around the cash. “Indulge me.”

I smiled as I pocketed the cash. “Thanks.”

“Do you have any more deliveries?”

I shook my head. “You were my last one.” I fished my cell phone out of my pocket to call the pizzeria. I cursed when I saw the cracked screen. “Damn! I just got this stupid thing! Can I borrow your phone? I need to let them know they need to remake your order.”

He held out his phone but pulled it away when I reached for it. “On one condition.”

I looked at him, puzzled. “Okay…” I said slowly.

“You stay and have dinner with me.”

I stared at him. Was he serious?

He held out the phone again. “Please?”

“As long as I can stop by my apartment first and change into dry clothes.”

“You can borrow some of mine.”

I smiled. “Ok.”

I called the pizzeria and explained what happened. A half hour later, I parked in front of the customer’s house and grabbed the fresh boxes of food. I was thankful that the rain had finally reduced to a drizzle. I walked up the driveway carefully and managed to reach his front door without sitting on the food. He opened the door before I had a chance to knock and moved aside to let me in.

I couldn’t keep my eyes off him. He had changed into a dry pair of jeans and button-down shirt. They clung to him in all the right places. He took the food from me, setting it on the breakfast bar and motioned down a hallway.

“The bathroom is at the end of the hall. I set out some dry clothes for you.”

“Thanks.” I headed down the hallway, not oblivious to the fact that I didn’t know this guy from Adam. He could have been a serial killer for all I knew, but I was willing to take the chance. I changed into the sweatpants and shirt he set out for me and walked back to the living room. He had set out the pizza and wings along with paper plates, napkins and soft drinks.

He looked me over as he took my clothes from me. “I’ll put these in the dryer for you. I have to say, you wear those much better than I do.” He winked.

I stared at him incredulously. He was kidding, right?

“Help yourself and have a seat in the living room. Halftime’s just about over.”

I filled my plate with pizza and wings and poured myself a glass of pop. He returned just as I sat down on the couch and joined me shortly thereafter.

I held out my hand. “I’m Shane.”

He shook my hand, squeezing firmly, letting the handshake linger. “Ben.”

“So, Ben. Do you always invite the guys who deliver your pizza in to share it with you?” I smirked.

“Only the cute ones.”

I blushed. I jumped when I felt my hand nudged, since it wasn’t Ben that did it. A little orange kitten sat on the couch next to me, staring at my food.

Ben laughed. “That’s Oliver.”

I petted Oliver and he flopped onto his back, latching onto my hand with all four legs and teeth.

“Ow!” I shook my hand as the kitten skittered away.

“He didn’t scratch you, did he?” Ben looked concerned.

“Nah. Just startled me more than anything.”

The kitten sat a few feet away, staring at me.

“I adopted him a few weeks ago. He’s a little spitfire.”

“I can see that. He’s cute, though.”

We ate our pizza and wings, conversing, largely ignoring the game. Ben had a personality that matched his looks.

The football game ended with our team losing, although I really don’t think either of us cared. It was getting late, though and I needed to work my other job in the morning.

“Thanks so much for dinner, Ben. I have to get up for work at 6:00, so I better get going.” Oliver attacked my feet as I stood up. I laughed and stepped around the little furball.

“It was my pleasure.” He walked me to the door.

I felt his hand on my shoulder as I opened the door. He drew me into an embrace as I turned to face him. I melted in his arms. “I’d really like to see you again,” he murmured into my hair.

I tilted my head up to look at him, smiling. “I’d like that.”

He kissed me and then stepped back. “I think I may have to order another pizza tomorrow night.”

“Why don’t we go out to dinner instead? Tomorrow’s my night off.”

He ran his hand along my cheek. “It’s a date.”

Please leave a review and let me know how you liked the story. Thanks for reading! :)
Copyright © 2014 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Very nice ending Val--I keep forgetting to read more of your stuff, which I really like. I promise I'll amend that later today! :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/07/2014 08:50 AM, ColumbusGuy said:
Very nice ending Val--I keep forgetting to read more of your stuff, which I really like. I promise I'll amend that later today! :)
Thanks :) I'm glad you are enjoying my stories. :)
Link to comment

The least Ben could have done was to let Shane change into dry clothes before he drove back to the restaurant and got more food, and not afterward. :/ That would have been more chivalrous. :thumbup: Cute story, Valkyrie.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/07/2014 01:49 PM, Ron said:
The least Ben could have done was to let Shane change into dry clothes before he drove back to the restaurant and got more food, and not afterward. :/ That would have been more chivalrous. :thumbup: Cute story, Valkyrie.
I thought about that, but it was still downpouring so Shane would have just gotten soaked again. I suppose he could have offered him two changes of clothes... ;) I'm glad you liked it, Ron. Thanks for the review!
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Sweet AND a little orange kitten (I'm very fond of orange kittens right now) What a nice start of a new acquaintance ! Nice prompt !

 

cat-hug-and-love-smiley-emoticon.gif

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/13/2014 05:07 AM, Slytherin said:
Sweet AND a little orange kitten (I'm very fond of orange kittens right now) What a nice start of a new acquaintance ! Nice prompt !

 

cat-hug-and-love-smiley-emoticon.gif

I love the kitty smiley! Thanks for the review. :)
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 11/01/2014 11:08 AM, Carlos Hazday said:
Loved how you worked in the prompt wors... Very subtle
Thanks :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..