Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 846 Words
  • 1,760 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2014 Prompt Responses - 38. Prompt 381

Prompt 381 - Challenge

Every writer has a time where they need to create a scene around something uncomfortable. This can be someone being fired, a death in the family, or breakup. Your challenge is to create such a scene and include as much detail as you can. What is the setting? What can we see or hear? Is the person sweating or can we smell antiseptic? Involve as many of the senses as you can in your scene and bring it to life.

 

My breath hung in a small, white cloud, illuminated by the beams from the streetlight above me before dissipating into the crisp night air. I stared, rapt, as the process repeated itself over and over in a steady rhythm. The cold from the stone underneath me seeped through my jeans, numbing my ass and legs. I swung my legs absently, in time with the appearance/disappearance of the smoky breath-clouds. I imagined that the snowflakes that melted on my tongue on each inhale were reborn into ice crystals flung into a brief suspended animation on each exhale before falling to the Earth to join their brethren in cold, white piles. I wondered if I would experience any sort of rebirth when I hit the icy water below.

“Mind if I join you?” An overweight African-American man stood next to me, shivering.

I shrugged. What difference would it make? He took that as assent and clambered up the stone wall. His breath-clouds mingled with mine as he huffed and puffed from his effort to sit next to me.

“So what brings you out here at this time of night?”

I stared ahead, concentrating on watching my breath stretch out before me. It was a tangible reminder that I was still alive.

“Boy, the river sure is beautiful isn’t it? The moonlight glinting off the ice and the big, beautiful snowflakes. Reminds me of one of those snow globes you shake with the white glitter suspended in whatever that liquid is. Name’s Rory.” He held out his hand.

I reflexively reached my hand out and shook it. My pale skin created a yin/yang against the ebony of his hand before I let go and resumed staring at my breath.

“What’s your name, son?” He asked.

“Henry.”

“Henry. That’s a nice name.”

I looked at him, raising an eyebrow. He wasn’t fooling me. I knew why he was here.

“My guess, Henry, is that you’re thinking of jumping down into that water there. What I want to know is why? What’s so bad that you won’t let anyone help you?”

I shook my head. I couldn’t tell him. He’d probably push me in if I did. I suppose that might make it easier on me.

“No one understands,” I whispered.

“One needs to have the opportunity to understand before being accused of not understanding.”

I exhaled sharply. He had a point. I looked at him. He held his arms close to his chest in an effort to stave off the cold. I looked into his chocolate brown eyes and saw nothing but concern and kindness. I decided to take a chance. What difference did it make if I was just going to end up in the river anyway?

“When I was born, my parents named me Abigail.” I looked away before I could see the look of realization, then disgust at my words.

“But you never felt like an Abigail.”

I shook my head. “I always knew there was something wrong with me.”

“Son, there’s nothing wrong with you. There are plenty of others out there who feel like you do.”

I laughed mirthlessly. “What would you know about it?”

“Honestly? Not much. But I do know that there are hotlines and centers out there specifically for people in your situation.”

“Doesn’t it bother you that I’m a freak?”

“No, because you’re not a freak. You’re just going through a rough time right now. I thought you might want to know that somebody cares.”

“How can you care about me? You don’t even know me,” I whispered.

“I know enough.” He pulled up the sleeves of his black quilted coat and held his arms out. They were riddled with raised scars that were slightly darker than his skin.

I didn’t even realize I was crying until I saw the tear splatter on my trembling hand. I wiped my cheeks, but it was so cold my tears had frozen to my face.

“Why don’t we go somewhere warmer to talk? I don’t know about you, but a nice hot cup of soup sounds pretty good right about now.” He grunted and groaned as he swung his legs around and jumped down to the sidewalk. He held his hand out and I hesitated, looking between him and the dark, frozen water below.

“Someone once took a chance on me and made me realize that there are people out there who care. Please let me return the favor.”

I gave the water one last look before swinging my legs around and taking Rory’s cold sweaty hand.

I hope I met the challenge ok.  Please leave me a review and let me know how I did.  smile.png
 
Copyright © 2014 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What a beautiful, touching and respectful approach to an important issue. This vignette portrays the Henry/Abigail's of the world as human beings who struggle yet choose the courageous path. I want to think he wasn't going to do it. But, an angel made sure. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 12/31/2014 03:09 PM, Cole Matthews said:
What a beautiful, touching and respectful approach to an important issue. This vignette portrays the Henry/Abigail's of the world as human beings who struggle yet choose the courageous path. I want to think he wasn't going to do it. But, an angel made sure. :)
Thanks, Cole. I'm glad you liked it. :)
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 12/31/2014 03:11 PM, Irritable1 said:
Really nice, Val!
Thanks, Irri. :)
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/01/2015 07:45 AM, Slytherin said:
Touching. Moved me to tears. I could feel the his emotions and despair. Good job !
Thanks, LBO :)
Link to comment

Awesome!

Right on point with the prompt. You painted a vivid picture of a very difficult/uncomfortable situation. I'm glad to see I'm not alone in my strong belief of paying it forward.

Thank you, Val

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/01/2015 08:05 AM, Carlos Hazday said:
Awesome!

Right on point with the prompt. You painted a vivid picture of a very difficult/uncomfortable situation. I'm glad to see I'm not alone in my strong belief of paying it forward.

Thank you, Val

Thanks for reading Carlos. :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..