Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 1,303 Words
  • 2,213 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2014 Prompt Responses - 14. Chapter 14

Prompt 317 – Creative
Tag – The Bunny
Holidays have never interested you and most of the time you forget when they are. This morning you had to be up before dawn for a marathon you were running. As you got outside you spotted a pure white bunny in a vest with a huge basket over one of his paws. What do you do?

It was downright frigid in the predawn hour. I was not a morning person and I grumbled as I went outside to start the car. I stopped dead and stared at the giant white bunny wearing a vest and holding an Easter basket standing beside the car. It was way too early for this shit. “If you’re wearing that, take your own car. I won’t be seen with you.”

Brad sighed. “Oh get a sense of humor, will you? Easter is next week. There will be a ton of people there in costume.”

“Well ‘a ton of people’ doesn’t mean I have to suffer through watching my boyfriend debase himself this way. Seriously, Brad, you look like an idiot.”

“I knew you’d be a dick about it. That’s why I didn’t tell you.”

I rolled my eyes. “I think thirty-five is a bit old to be running around dressed like the goddamn Easter bunny.”

Brad smirked at me. “Think of it as a motivator for you. I bet you’ll beat your personal best time trying to run away from me.”

“Ha. Ha. Ha.”

Brad opened his arms up wide. “C’mere and give me a kiss, honey bunny.”

My Grinch heart must have grown a size or two because despite myself, I actually laughed. Brad gathered me in a warm, fuzzy, bunny hug.

“You’re nuts, you know that?” I looked up at him to kiss him, and my heart promptly deflated back to Grinch size. “Are you wearing make-up?”

I tried to push myself away, but Brad held me tight and kissed me. When he pulled back his pink nose and black whiskers were smeared. I wiped my hand across my face and looked at the pink and black smudges all over it. “Oh hell, no!”

I stormed inside as Brad followed me, laughing.

*****

I’ve never been a big fan of holidays. Most of the time I forget when they even are and I certainly don’t celebrate them. I didn’t have the most stellar childhood, so holidays were either forgotten or best forgotten. I met Brad a little over a year ago and he’s the polar opposite of me when it comes to holidays. He loves them and celebrates them all in the grandest way possible. He doesn’t understand my miserliness. Granted, I haven’t tried to explain it to him, either. How do you explain to someone that you hate Santa because your drunkard father, dressed as the Jolly Red Elf, passed out and then puked all over you when you tried to wake him up? Not the best impression for a five year old. If my mom even bothered to buy me Easter candy it was either gone or half-eaten by the time Easter came around thanks to the ‘munchies’.

I grudgingly agreed to drive Brad to the marathon because parking was an absolute bitch. I refused to leave the driveway until he removed his ears, though. I had my limits.

Brad wasn’t kidding about the people in costume. Everywhere I looked there were Easter bunnies, chicks, and girls and guys in pretty dresses wearing Easter bonnets. I truly didn’t understand how these people could possibly be taking running this marathon seriously. I’d run in several marathons and had never experienced anything like this. If I had known, I wouldn’t have signed up.

Brad was right; I did beat my personal best time. By a lot. I guess the key to a good marathon time is being chased by freaks in fuzzy bunny suits. Brad was so proud of me when he found out I decimated my personal best time that he tried to give me a big hug and kiss, forgetting that he was dressed like hell spawn. I don’t think I’ll ever forget the look on his face when I ducked away from him.

The drive home was silent.

That night, Brad slept on the couch. Actually, he slept on the couch all week. He barely talked to me and shrugged me off any time I tried to communicate with him. I had hurt him very deeply, and it kind of pissed me off. My opinions about holidays and that stupid rabbit outfit had been quite clear.

On Good Friday, Brad went to church and then out for a fish fry with his family. He didn’t invite me. I suppose the invitation was implicit since we had been dating for over a year and lived together, but I didn’t volunteer and he didn’t ask. I wonder what this meant for us. Were holidays, the bane of my existence, going to ruin the best thing that had ever happened to me? I loved Brad and didn’t want to lose him, but this holiday crap just had to stop.

I went for a good, long run and Brad was home when I walked in the door. I went into our bedroom to grab some clothes to change into after I showered and found him packing a suitcase.

“What are you doing?” I frowned.

“I’m spending the weekend at my parents. I’ll be back Sunday night.” He snapped the suitcase closed and brushed past me.

Over the next couple days, I never felt so alone in my life. I went for a long run Easter morning. There was a church on my usual route and I had completely forgotten about it being Sunday morning. Easter Sunday morning, which meant that there were throngs of people milling about, making it very difficult to navigate through them and the cars clogging the street. I dropped to a walk, frowning. A little boy wearing a nice suit smiled up at me.

“Happy Easter, mister!”

The boy’s mother grabbed his hand and pulled him away from me. He waved to me and walked into the church in between his mother and father, holding each of their hands. I stood there staring after them. I watched as the throng of people entered the church. There were mainly families there, dressed in their Easter finery. There were also elderly couples and the occasional young couple. I wondered if this was what Brad and his family looked like at their church this morning.

I stood looking at the church after the last couple had entered, and found myself walking up to the doors, then into the sanctuary. It was full, so I stood at the back. I got more than my share of strange looks from the well-dressed churchgoers.

I didn’t pay much attention to the sermon, but observed the families during the service and felt a pang of longing for something I never had. It was the first time in a very long time that I felt the pain of my neglected upbringing. I don’t think my parents ever set foot in a church. Certainly not with me.

I started to have a better appreciation for Brad’s upbringing, and thought to myself that maybe it was time he knew the reasons for my behavior.

Brad walked in the door at 9:00 that night. A part of me wasn’t expecting him to come back. He put his suitcase in our bedroom, and then walked into the living room. I could see the look of surprise on his face when he saw all the lit candles and the basket of Easter chocolate sitting on the coffee table next to a bouquet of Easter lilies. I walked up to him and pressed a lily against his chest.

“I’m so sorry, sweetheart.” I whispered. “I never meant to hurt you. You mean the world to me and I don’t want to lose you.” I took his hand and led him over to the couch. I sighed and looked the man I loved in the eyes. “Let me tell you about how I spent my holidays when I was growing up…”

Copyright © 2014 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A wonderful story you have written, Valkyrie. Honey bunny, since that is the only name you give your MC, certainly didn't have the best of childhood memories and he definitely screwed up at the marathon but that was nicely done with his stepping into church, and a realization.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/12/2014 02:14 PM, Ron said:
A wonderful story you have written, Valkyrie. Honey bunny, since that is the only name you give your MC, certainly didn't have the best of childhood memories and he definitely screwed up at the marathon but that was nicely done with his stepping into church, and a realization.
Thank you so much :) I'm glad you enjoyed it.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Heartwarming and believable. I can understand the division between the main characters that a simple lack of communication can cause. The moment in the church was very touching and I liked how he found the longing for the family connection he'd been missing. Nicely done. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/13/2014 12:53 AM, Mann Ramblings said:
Heartwarming and believable. I can understand the division between the main characters that a simple lack of communication can cause. The moment in the church was very touching and I liked how he found the longing for the family connection he'd been missing. Nicely done. :)
Thanks, Mann :) I appreciate your review and I'm glad you liked my story :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I'm glad "honey Bunny" started to explain to Brad why he is not a big fan of holidays :) I liked this story :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/15/2014 07:18 PM, Slytherin said:
I'm glad "honey Bunny" started to explain to Brad why he is not a big fan of holidays :) I liked this story :)
It's a big step forward in their relationship and one that needed to happen. I'm glad you liked it. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
11 hours ago, AlexLittel said:

Communication, communication, communication.

Exactly!  Thanks for reading all my old prompt responses.  I logged on to about 130 notifications today!  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..