Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 536 Words
  • 1,921 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2014 Prompt Responses - 26. Prompt 334

List of words: horrible smell, broken door, honey comb, thunder, and a key

“Son of a bitch!” I cursed as I tried to get my key into the lock of my front door. It wouldn’t budge. Lightning flashed and thunder pealed far too close for my comfort. I was soaking wet from the rain, which didn’t improve my mood. I was glad I left my luggage in the car. This was a hell of a way to come home after a week-long business trip.

I had a sinking feeling about the reason my key wouldn’t work. Mark had found out about Chris. I shook my head as I ran around the side of the house to the back door. The broken screen door slammed into the house as I entered the mudroom off the kitchen. I stood; dripping and shivering. I grabbed a towel from the laundry and dried off as best I could before venturing into the house. I covered my nose as a horrible smell permeated the air. The source was easy to find. A bowl of Mark’s favorite cereal – Honeycomb – was sitting in the sink in curdled milk. Mark must have left soon after I did for it to stink that badly.

An envelope was set on the counter with my name on it. My hands shook as I opened it.

Rob,

I found the letters. I knew something was wrong between us, but I never imagined it was this wrong. I could have forgiven a one-night fling, but a three-year affair? What did I do to push you so far away from me? Why couldn’t you talk to me? It’s obvious that this was about much more than just sex. That’s what hurts so much. I loved you with every fiber of my being. It’s legal now, so I was planning on proposing to you on our anniversary. I wanted to make the last twenty years official.

I’m giving you two weeks to clear out of the house. I took vacation time and am staying with my parents. Don’t bother calling. I can’t bear seeing you right now and I refuse to let you talk me into a third chance. I’d wish you good luck, but I don’t really mean it. The truth is that I hope Chris dumps your sorry ass and you realize just exactly what you have lost.

Please honor my wishes and don’t contact me. It’s the least you can do.

Mark

I sank down the counter, crushing the letter in my hands. I stared numbly forward. I had been trying to find the nerve to break it off with Chris for a while now. I realized that I fell in love with the newness of the relationship. The sex was amazing, but more than that was the attention. I relished when Chris told me how sexy I was and how much he loved me. I hadn’t had that from Mark in years.

Hot tears fell down my face as I realized that I had thrown away the past twenty years for another piece of ass. I dissolved into wracking sobs as the knowledge that I would never get to hold Mark again or tell him how much I truly did love him hit home.

I've been feeling a bit melancholy lately, hence a melancholy prompt. Let me know how you liked it. Thanks for reading! :)
Copyright © 2014 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Ok between you and a certain other author we both read, I'm having a really sad day. (smile) You conveyed this scene so well and all I can add is "Chris, you STUPID IDIOT!!!" Thank you for letting me get that off my chest. :funny: Great prompt, sad but great.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 06/30/2014 02:18 AM, LadyDe said:
Ok between you and a certain other author we both read, I'm having a really sad day. (smile) You conveyed this scene so well and all I can add is "Chris, you STUPID IDIOT!!!" Thank you for letting me get that off my chest. :funny: Great prompt, sad but great.
Thanks :) Sorry to add to your sad day. I needed a few tissues myself after reading that chapter. lol I'm glad you liked it.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

There is nothing quite like the pain and remorse of discovering that you have just

stupidly caused terrible hurt to someone you love, but most of all caused yourself

to have the worst of it. I think of an old saying that love breaks under the weight of

time. In this case, it seems it didn't, -then it did!

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 06/30/2014 07:32 AM, Stephen said:
There is nothing quite like the pain and remorse of discovering that you have just

stupidly caused terrible hurt to someone you love, but most of all caused yourself

to have the worst of it. I think of an old saying that love breaks under the weight of

time. In this case, it seems it didn't, -then it did!

Rob's left a whole mess of hurt in his wake. Hopefully now he will realize that his actions have consequences and use that realization to be more honest with himself and future partners. Thanks for the review. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
:( Sad prompt and you posted it on my birthday, glad I didn't read it then :lol: Just kidding :hug: He got what he deserved, I can understand that he became sad when his partner for 20 years left him but what did he expect ? Sad LBO now :(
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/02/2014 07:32 AM, Slytherin said:
:( Sad prompt and you posted it on my birthday, glad I didn't read it then :lol: Just kidding :hug: He got what he deserved, I can understand that he became sad when his partner for 20 years left him but what did he expect ? Sad LBO now :(
It's hard to muster up too much sympathy for Rob. He did, indeed, get what he deserved. I'm glad you waited to read it. I wouldn't want a sad LBO birthday. ;) Thanks for the review :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Short, moving and very, very real. I liked how you showed that something was missing in their relationship that prompted the affair in spite of the obviously poor decision to continue with it. It's always sad when something ends that might have been salvaged.

 

Well done.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/04/2014 10:22 PM, Mann Ramblings said:
Short, moving and very, very real. I liked how you showed that something was missing in their relationship that prompted the affair in spite of the obviously poor decision to continue with it. It's always sad when something ends that might have been salvaged.

 

Well done.

Thanks, Mann. :)
Link to comment

What a wonderfully sad story, Valkyrie. Just enough detail that I could see it happening, and evoke true sympathy for Mark, who doesn't even appear except on paper.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/16/2014 09:51 PM, ColumbusGuy said:
What a wonderfully sad story, Valkyrie. Just enough detail that I could see it happening, and evoke true sympathy for Mark, who doesn't even appear except on paper.
Thanks, CG. Sorry for the late reply. Somehow I missed this review. Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment. :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..