Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 883 Words
  • 1,545 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2014 Prompt Responses - 13. Prompt 314

strong>Prompt 314
Two months ago a rare find in Mexico happened. Inside an old pyramid, a perfectly preserved body was found. On closer inspection they found the body was actually still alive, but in some sort of suspended animation. The body has been on tour, nicknamed the Sleeping Beauty. You go to the exhibit and discover something truly unusual about the two hundred year old beauty. What is it?

The line outside the museum stretched out the door and wrapped around the building. Everyone was there to see the real-life ‘Sleeping Beauty’; a recently discovered two hundred year old body in some sort of suspended animation.

What I wouldn’t give to have been part of the excavation team that discovered her. Two months ago an archeological team in Mexico found a previously undiscovered Mayan pyramid. Inside they found the body now dubbed ‘Sleeping Beauty’. When they discovered that she wasn’t quite as dead as they thought, half the team fled in terror while the other half rushed her to the world’s leading experts in Mayan Culture, Egyptology, bio-archeology, and any other sub-discipline they could possibly think of. They even called in the world’s best physicians to evaluate her state of health. The results only deepened the mystery.

So what do you do with a two hundred year old body in suspended animation that you know nothing about? Put it on tour and exploit it.

Yes, I am a hypocrite since I thought the whole idea of putting her on display was wrong and just plain disgusting. However, I felt such a pull every time I looked at pictures of the Sleeping Beauty that I just couldn’t stay away. The fact that it was a mandatory assignment for all students in the archeology department gave me the moral out I was looking for.

So here I was, waiting in line for hours to get a glimpse of the so-called ‘Sleeping Beauty’. I had my headphones on and was listening to music on my iPod when I heard a faint whisper.

Help me

I paused the music and looked around. The other people in line gave no indication of someone in distress, so I resumed listening to my music. The line slowly inched forward.

Help me

The voice was a little louder this time. I took my headphones off and asked the person behind me “did you hear that?”

The guy shook his head dismissively.

About fifteen minutes later, I finally reached the inside of the building.

I’ve been waiting for you.

I spun around, but could see no one greeting waiting friends. I shook my head. I was losing it.

I’ve been waiting for you. Help me.

I turned to the guy behind me again. “Please tell me you heard that.”

The guy just looked at me like I had sprouted three heads.

The voice chuckled. No one else can hear me.

“Then how can I hear you?”

The guy behind me left the line.

I’ve been waiting for you for centuries. You are the one to save me.

I thought I should take a sabbatical from school because the stress was clearly getting to me.

You’re not crazy. The voice sounded amused.

“What would you call it?”

The people in front of me left the line.

Destiny

I wondered how long I had before I was hauled off to the nut farm. The closer I got to Beauty’s display room, the louder and clearer the voice became. The pull that I felt whenever I looked at the exhibit pictures was nothing compared to the pull I felt now. When I entered the room that contained the body, I heard the voice gasp.

There is no doubt anymore. You are my salvation. Help me, my love!

I gasped myself when I finally set eyes upon Sleeping Beauty. Beauty doesn’t even come close to describing the exquisite creature before me. He looked like a Mayan god dressed in finery. He was androgynous in appearance, with fine features and gorgeous jet-black hair. His body was trim and toned and just as beautiful as the rest of him. I understood why the experts had misjudged his gender. At first glance I would have labeled Beauty as female, too; however the voice in my head was clearly male.

Save me from this curse, my love.

“How am I supposed to save you?”

If you look deep into your heart, you will know.

I knew in that instant that I couldn’t bear to be away from him. I sprung over the guardrail and was almost to the body when I was tackled by security.

“Let me go! I have to save him!” I shouted, fighting the guards.

“Erik? What on earth are you doing, boy?” It was Professor Barrett, my Central American Studies teacher.

“I can save him, Professor. I know how to wake him up!”

He frowned at me. “What do you mean? How can you possibly know how to wake her up?”

“It’s not ‘her’. It’s ‘him’.” I stated. “Let me go and I’ll show you!”

The professor was standing with the museum’s curator and they had a hurried discussion. Apparently Dr. Barrett vouched for me, since the curator motioned for the guards to let me go.

I walked over to the display where they were keeping Beauty. “Please open it.”

The curator looked decidedly against the idea, but Dr. Barrett indicated for the guards to go ahead and open the plexiglass container.

The minute it was open I bent down and kissed Beauty on the lips. His eyes opened and he sat up, looking at me in wonderment. “My love…” he whispered. We put on quite the display for the gawking museum-goers.

Copyright © 2014 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So Beauty is actually a man. Nicely done. I enjoyed that and you had them kiss to break the spell. Interesting.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/08/2014 11:01 AM, comicfan said:
So Beauty is actually a man. Nicely done. I enjoyed that and you had them kiss to break the spell. Interesting.
There's so much more I wanted to convey about these guys. This may be a prompt I end up expanding. Thanks for the review :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I was afraid to the last line that the Beauty would kill Erik and switch Place with him
:lol:
I Watch too many bad TV shows
:funny:

Erik saved him with a kiss - that is so sweet
:D:thumbup:
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/08/2014 05:52 PM, Slytherin said:
I was afraid to the last line that the Beauty would kill Erik and switch Place with him
:lol:
I Watch too many bad TV shows
:funny:

Erik saved him with a kiss - that is so sweet
:D:thumbup:
LOL That never occurred to me and I can have a bit of a dark streak sometimes :devil: Thanks for reading and reviewing :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/10/2014 04:49 AM, Ron said:
Ha-ha. I'd have left the line too, as the other guy did.
Me, too ;) Thanks for reading :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 02/16/2015 08:10 AM, Puppilull said:
Oh, this would be an interesting story to read. A Mayan in todays society! Loved the short story too.
Thanks :) I appreciate you leaving all the reviews. :) I'm glad you liked it.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..