Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 1,768 Words
  • 2,250 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2014 Prompt Responses - 37. Prompt 372

This is a continuation of Prompt 370. What's next for Jack and Rob?
Prompt 372 - First line - "Wait. You want me to do what now?"

“Wait. You want me to do what now?” I stared at my boss incredulously.

Sherrie took a deep breath. “Rob, please… Do this for me and I owe you, big time.”

“This isn’t exactly in my job description, you know.”

“I know. I promise I won’t ask again. Please? Just this once?”

I sighed in frustration. “Fine. I’ll go this once, but I’m not your errand boy. I have a lot of work to do.”

She beamed at me and held out a twenty dollar bill. “You are an absolute doll.”

“Yeah, yeah,” I grumbled as I headed to my office to grab my coat. I wasn’t looking forward to going back out in the snow just to get my boss coffee from her favorite shop. I really hoped she wasn’t going to make a habit of asking me to do petty errands like this. The next time she asked, I would definitely refuse.

The shop was only a block away from the office and I was glad to escape the cold. I opened the door to the small coffee shop to a blast of hot air and stood in the doorway rubbing my hands.

“Rob?”

I looked to my left to see Jack sitting at a table by the window with a steaming cup of coffee in front of him. My morning ‘errand’ made a lot more sense now.

“Hi, Jack.” I headed to the counter and ordered a mocha with whipped cream as well as a ‘to go’ cup of chai latte for Sherrie. I slid into the seat across from Jack.

“How’s Aunt Sheila?” I asked.

His deep, throaty chuckle sent a thrill down my spine. “Wondering how her nephew is. You seem to have made quite an impression.” He looked at me pointedly.

I looked down into my cup as I took a sip. When I set it down, Jack smirked as he leaned forward and wiped my whipped cream mustache with a napkin. I turned bright red and was very grateful to be sitting down so Jack wouldn’t know the effect the brief contact had on me.

“Thanks,” I muttered.

“Rob, I just want you to know that this wasn’t my idea. I mean… I do want to see you again, but I don’t want to trick you in order to do it.”

“I’m sorry,” I whispered.

He moved his hand like he was going to take mine, but changed his mind and settled back in his chair.

“I don’t understand. I thought we were getting along so well. You told me you wanted to see me, too.”

“I know. And I meant it… I do really like you, Jack. I just don’t know how appropriate it is for me to be dating my boss’ brother.”

He snorted derisively. “That’s just an excuse. What are you afraid of?”

I stood up and put my hand on his shoulder and squeezed gently before heading out the door.

“Good bye, Jack.”

 

I glared at Sherrie as I set her latte down on her desk.

“So…how did it go? And please don’t feed me that ‘it’s not appropriate for me to date my boss’ brother’ crap.”

I raised an eyebrow. “I guess you two have been talking.”

“Jack and I are very close. I knew you’d hit it off with him the minute I met you. Please don’t let me stand in the way of what could be a very good thing.”

“So that line about you not wanting any employees to spend Thanksgiving alone?”

“I meant it. I would have invited you, even if Jack wasn’t there. It just happened to be very good timing.”

I looked at her skeptically.

“Honest!” She paused. “He really likes you, you know.”

“I know.”

“He hasn’t dated in ages. Not since –“ Her eyes grew big. “Oh, I shouldn’t have said anything!”

I looked at her curiously.

“It’s not my place to tell. Just trust me when I say that Jack is very special.”

I turned so she couldn’t see the smile on my face.

“I know,” I said softly as I exited her office.

“Does this mean you’ll call him?” She yelled after me.

I pretended that I didn’t hear her.

 

I was really torn about Jack. I liked him a lot, but the last time I mixed my work and personal life it ended so disastrously I vowed to never make that mistake again. It was a good thing I had a big project to work on, because it took my mind off Jack. I made quite a bit of progress, not really paying attention to the time or the weather.

Sherrie knocked on my door and stepped inside. “Have you been following the weather reports?”

I shook my head. “I’ve been so wrapped up in the Anderson project I haven’t even taken any breaks. Why?”

“Sorry to tell you this, sweetie, but I’m afraid that light snowfall they predicted for today turned into a full-blown lake effect event. They’ve instituted a travel ban. I’m afraid we’re stuck here for at least tonight.”

I ran to the front window. The snow was falling so fast that visibility was zero.

“Damn! Look at it out there! What was I thinking moving out here this time of year?”

Sherrie laughed. “Get used to it, sweetie. It’s called living by the Great Lakes. We get to deal with that lovely phenomenon called ‘lake effect’.”

“We got snow in the Midwest, but nothing like this.”

“C’mon. I have some cans of soup we can heat up for dinner.”

 

We ate our dinner in the conference room, chatting amicably. I was really enjoying getting to know Sherrie better. I could see a lot of similarities between her and Jack. It wasn’t surprising that they were so close.

I decided to take advantage of having the extra time at work and completed more of the Anderson project. Sherrie protested, telling me that it wasn’t necessary, but I wanted to do something to keep my mind occupied.

It felt like only minutes later when I woke up to Sherrie shaking me. “Wake up, Rob. You can’t be comfortable like that.”

I lifted my head and groaned. I had a splitting headache and my stomach was roiling. I ran to the bathroom and threw up. I rinsed my mouth out with some water and made my way back to my office shakily.

“Are you ok? You don’t look so good.”

I didn’t feel so good.

“I feel like I’ve been run over by a Mack truck.”

“C’mon. You can take the couch in my office.” She guided me into her office and I collapsed on the couch. She felt my forehead and couldn’t hide the look of alarm on her face. “You’re burning up.”

I curled up, shivering. Sherrie put her coat over me and pulled the garbage can closer in case I needed to throw up again. She left and returned moments later with cool, wet paper towels. She placed them on my forehead, but it didn’t help much.

I spent the night in a fever-induced haze, tossing and turning, and occasionally emptying my stomach. Sherrie tried to get me to drink broth she strained from one of the cans of soup, but I threw it up almost as soon as I drank it. She placed baggies of snow along my face to try and bring the fever down, but I was shivering so violently they wouldn’t stay in place.

The next thing I was aware of was a pair of strong arms lifting me and a deep voice telling me that everything will be ok. I was taken outside and strapped onto something, but then the fever took over and I lapsed back into oblivion.

 

The steady beeping was quite annoying. I frowned as I opened my eyes. It took me a while to realize that I wasn’t in my house. I tried lifting my hand, but something was weighing it down. I looked to the right of the bed and saw Jack sleeping in a chair next to me. He was holding my hand and it finally dawned on me that I was in a hospital.

Jack looked haggard, but beautiful. His auburn hair had fallen across his eyes and he was sporting several days’ worth of sexy scruff. He stirred and opened his eyes, looking directly into mine. I smiled. “Hey.”

He sat upright and was at my side in an instant, caressing my face. I closed my eyes and leaned into his touch. “You’re awake.”

“Am I? It feels like a dream to me,” I muttered.

He laughed that wonderful deep, throaty laugh. “It’s not a dream. You gave us quite a scare.”

“What happened?” I croaked. My mouth felt like it was full of cotton.

Jack poured some water into a cup and helped me sit up so I could take a few sips.

“Thanks. That’s much better.”

A knock on the door drew both our attention as a doctor entered the room. “I see you’ve decided to rejoin the land of the living.”

I smiled wanly. “I don’t know what happened to me. Why am I here?”

“You can thank your boyfriend. He saved your life. If he hadn’t brought you here when he did, you would have succumbed to the flu.”

I raised my eyebrow at Jack and he looked away sheepishly.

“He’s just a friend,” Jack said, avoiding my gaze.

The doctor chuckled. “Sorry…not buying it.” He took my vitals and gave me a thorough check up, pronouncing me on the road to recovery.

“So I owe you my life, huh? I guess you’ll do anything to get me to go out with you, huh?”

Jack laughed and took my hand. “I’m just glad you’re ok.”

I smiled and closed my eyes. I was exhausted, but had to know how I got to the hospital.

“Tell me how you got me here.”

“He was amazing. A true knight in shining armor, only with a snowmobile, not a horse.”

I opened my eyes to a smiling Sherrie.

“I’m so glad you’re finally awake, hun,” she said. “You were so sick and I was so scared. I didn’t know what to do, so I called Jack. It took him three hours, but he managed to get to the office on his snowmobile. We strapped you in front of him and he got you here just in time.” Her voice hitched. “He’s a hero.”

I smiled and squeezed his hand. “My boyfriend, the hero…” I mumbled as I drifted into sleep.

Thanks for reading!  These guys are still rattling around in my brain, so I'm not sure we've seen the last of them.  wink.png  Let me know if you'd like to read more about them. smile.png
Copyright © 2014 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator
On 11/25/2014 03:16 AM, Cole Matthews said:
I like a knight on a shiny snowmobile image. Thats fantastic. I love these guys. More please. :)
Thanks, Cole :) I was inspired by recent events. lol I'm thinking these guys need their own story. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 11/25/2014 04:00 AM, Caz Pedroso said:
Loved the prompt and would really love to hear more about these two. :D
Thanks :) I'm glad you like it :)
Link to comment

Three hours in a snowmobile! That must mean something. :) So what's next? Buying a Christmas Tree? Visiting the Christmas Market? Yep, I want more too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 11/25/2014 04:44 AM, aditus said:
Three hours in a snowmobile! That must mean something. :) So what's next? Buying a Christmas Tree? Visiting the Christmas Market? Yep, I want more too.
In a storm like that, a 15 minute ride can easily turn into 2 or 3 hours. I like your ideas, Addy. :) We'll see what Friday's prompts inspire! Thanks for reading! :)
  • Like 2
Link to comment

That was just about as good as it gets. A little conflict, a little scare, some heroics and wedding bells ringing in the background!

Loved it Val!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

So sweet of him to come like A Knight in Shining Armor on a snowmobile and save his Prince :wub: Dang, I see that Cole wrote that too :pinch: Anyway, I liked this prompt, can't wait to read more :P

 

Did someone say Shining ?? :joe:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 11/25/2014 04:58 AM, Carlos Hazday said:
That was just about as good as it gets. A little conflict, a little scare, some heroics and wedding bells ringing in the background!

Loved it Val!

Thanks, Carlos :) It's a little soon for wedding bells, but who knows what the future holds? ;)
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 11/25/2014 05:02 AM, Slytherin said:
So sweet of him to come like A Knight in Shining Armor on a snowmobile and save his Prince :wub: Dang, I see that Cole wrote that too :pinch: Anyway, I liked this prompt, can't wait to read more :P

 

Did someone say Shining ?? :joe:

LOL! I was inspired by stories from our recent storm. Firefighters had to carry people for blocks to get them to the hospital because the roads were impassable. Snowmobiles were the only way to reach a lot of people who were stranded. I'm glad you liked it. (Hands off the shiny!) LOL
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I liked the coffee shop trick, but the flu thing was weird. Nobody who is young and healthy dies from flu - and in less than 24 hours. Now if you had said meningitis that would have made a lot more sense. I'll just pretend you did, and Jack really saved his life and he now needs a long convalescens period where Jack can take good care of him. :) Should do the trick, lol.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Great as always, Val. I'd like to read more of their story, I can already picture them all in just this short narrative.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Very romantic! You have me there! I love it! I just wanted to say to Tim that people who are young and healthy do die of flu and suddenly! I know of a case! Thanks for the addition and hope you do continue their story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..