Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 742 Words
  • 2,365 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2014 Prompt Responses - 35. Prompt 368

First line - You'll get it back over my dead body!

“You’ll get it back over my dead body!”

“Fine!” Will yelled and tackled me. We fell to the living room floor. I grunted as he landed on top of me, even though he didn’t weigh all that much anymore.

I clutched the baggie of meth in my hand and held it above my head in an attempt to keep it away from Will. He tried to climb up me to grab it and I threw it across the room so I could use both my hands to try and contain the ball of fury that used to be my friend.

He leapt off me and lunged toward the meth, but I grabbed his leg, stopping him. He kicked furiously, landing a couple blows to my arms and ribs. I hissed with pain, but didn’t let go. He turned on me like a snake, raining blows on my chest and face. I threw my arms up to shield myself. He had a lot more power behind him than his looks suggested.

“Leave me alone!” he screamed as he pummeled me.

Somehow, I managed to push him off me and I dove for the baggie, grabbing it and running into the bathroom, Will in hot pursuit. I shoved him back, threw the baggie in the toilet, and flushed.

From the cry of anguish that escaped his lips, you would have thought I flushed his cat.

“You son of a bitch! Do you know how much that shit cost? What the fuck, asshole? Why are you even here?” He tried to hit me again, but I grabbed his arms, pushing him out the door and into his bedroom. I threw him down on the bed, straddling him. He bucked and flailed like a fish out of water, screaming obscenities and calling me every hateful name he could think of. I rode it out until he stopped fighting and started sobbing. I let go of his arms and sat back. He tried to hit me again, but he had used up all the strength his drug-ravaged body contained.

“Why are you doing this?” he sniffled.

“Because I care about you.”

He snorted derisively. “Yeah, right. You made it perfectly clear you don’t want anything to do with me, Dave.”

“Why do you think I’m here?”

“I have no idea, but I really wish you’d leave so I can go out and get another hit. You just flushed the last of my stash.”

I shook my head. “You really don’t get it, do you?” I moved off him and sat next to him. I took his hand. He closed his eyes, refusing to look at me.

“Do you want to be an addict?”

“Who the hell wants this?”

“Then do something about it.”

“It’s too hard. Every time I try to go clean, I just end up relapsing.”

“You can’t do it alone. You need help.”

“What the hell would you know about it?

“My brother was an addict, too. He overdosed five years ago.” My voice hitched. “I couldn’t stand it if the same thing happened to you.”

He sat up, facing me. He reached his hand up to my face shakily, looking in my eyes. I blinked and a tear slowly trickled down my cheek. I looked into his hazel eyes and brushed his dirty blonde hair away from his forehead. I could see a trace of my friend struggling to break free.

“Help me, Dave. I don’t know what to do,” he whispered.

“I have a bed waiting for you at a rehab facility. They’re one of the best around. We can go right now.”

He embraced me tightly, running his hands along my back. “I’m so scared.”

I rested my cheek along the top of his head. “It’ll be ok. I’ll help you however I can.”

“I love you, Dave.”

“I know, Will, but I meant it when I said I won’t date you until you’re clean. This is the first step. I happen to think you’re worth waiting for.”

He cried softly into my chest. “You’re the only person that’s ever told me that I’m worth anything.” He looked up at me and I ran my hand along his cheek before leaning down and kissing him softly.

“You’re worth so much, Will.” I took his hand and led him toward the door. “Ready?”

He nodded. For the first time in two years, I had hope for the man I loved.

Thanks for reading! Please leave a review and let me know what you think. :)
Copyright © 2014 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Crap! You just sent my blood pressure through the roof and brought tears to my eyes.

Pain, anguish, love and hope all brought together in such a short tale. That's what great story-telling is all about!

Abso-fucking-lutely masterful!

:worship:

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 11/12/2014 03:42 AM, Carlos Hazday said:
Crap! You just sent my blood pressure through the roof and brought tears to my eyes.

Pain, anguish, love and hope all brought together in such a short tale. That's what great story-telling is all about!

Abso-fucking-lutely masterful!

:worship:

:blushing: aww...thanks, Carlos! :hug: Sorry about the blood pressure! lol
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Drugs are hard on everyone and I was glad to hear Dave telling Will that he wouldn't date him till he was clean. I have a friend who had fallen pray to drugs but so far no one has been able to get through to her. You story sends out hope. :thankyou:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 11/12/2014 04:04 AM, Caz Pedroso said:
Drugs are hard on everyone and I was glad to hear Dave telling Will that he wouldn't date him till he was clean. I have a friend who had fallen pray to drugs but so far no one has been able to get through to her. You story sends out hope. :thankyou:
I'm sorry to hear about your friend. My cousin is an addict, too and he just went through detox and is currently clean and sober. I'm hoping he sticks to it, because this isn't the first time. Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. :):hug:
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 11/12/2014 05:11 AM, ColumbusGuy said:
Wow, a punch to the gut, hope, and love all in so few words! Love it valkyrie.
Thanks, CG :)
Link to comment

You gave us a short but crucial glimpse into their life. Not too much - not too little. I liked it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 11/12/2014 05:32 AM, aditus said:
You gave us a short but crucial glimpse into their life. Not too much - not too little. I liked it.
Thanks, Addy. I'm glad you liked it. :)
Link to comment

That brought tears to my eyes :( Dark beginning but the end was brighter.

 

I hope your cousin are okay and stay sober/clean :hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 11/12/2014 10:16 AM, Slytherin said:
That brought tears to my eyes :( Dark beginning but the end was brighter.

 

I hope your cousin are okay and stay sober/clean :hug:

Thanks, LBO. He seems to be doing pretty good right now. Hopefully he will stay that way!
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 11/12/2014 12:35 PM, Cole Matthews said:
What a lovely, heartfelt scene Val. This is something that plats out without the hope at the end every day. Great job!
Thanks, Cole. Unfortunately you are right. Hopefully Will's rehab will be successful.
Link to comment

What a great story! So neat and so full of angst and love in so few lines. I loved it. It brought tears to my eyes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 11/13/2014 09:32 PM, Jaro_423 said:
What a great story! So neat and so full of angst and love in so few lines. I loved it. It brought tears to my eyes.
Thanks, Jaro :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..