Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 4,051 Words
  • 5,790 Views
  • 36 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Hollow Hills - 19. Chapter 19

Please read the story warning if you haven't yet done so.

Joshua

 

“Boss! Over here!” Kevin yelled. “I found a bunker.”

I was right on Liam’s heels as we ran past the deer shed east of the cabin. There was a heavy, metal door set into the side of a hill, camouflaged by dense shrubbery. It was unlocked. Liam leaned down to open it, but Kevin stopped him.

“We should call for back-up,” he said.

Liam shook his head. “No way. It will take too long for them to get here. I’m going in.” He opened the door and disappeared down a dimly lit stairway.

I started to follow, but was stopped by a hand on my shoulder. “Stay here,” Detective Adams ordered, then followed Liam and Kevin down the narrow set of stairs.

My debate about whether or not to follow was brief. I heard a scream that made my blood run cold, followed by several voices shouting and yelling. I ran down the stairs and stopped dead when I reached the bottom. My entire world shattered in that instant.

I was standing in a small room carved into the stony hillside. Liam bent over a naked man shackled to a bed on the far side of the room. He was frantically working to undo the restraints. My heart felt like it had stopped when I saw the blond hair and heard Liam speak Galen’s name. My friend was covered in blood, and flailed his arms and legs, fighting Liam once he realized he was free. When it registered that it was Liam in front of him, he sobbed into his cousin’s chest briefly before his body went limp.

Low laughter drew my attention to my right as Liam yelled for someone to call for an ambulance. Roger stood in front of a utility sink as Kevin put Roger’s hands behind his back and snapped handcuffs around his wrists. He was naked and covered in both fresh and dried blood. Chains with shackles on the end hung from the ceiling next to him, swaying ominously. A metal cart stood next to the sink, filled with a variety of knives and other grotesque instruments. I slowly lifted my eyes to meet his.

“Figures it had to be Liam that found me,” Roger said, scowling. Blood trickled down his face from his nose.

“Josh…you shouldn’t be down here. Liam is taking care of Galen. Why don’t you wait in the cabin? We can have a chat once I get this asshole settled,” said Kevin.

I stared at Roger, trying to make sense of what was happening.

“So you know my latest prey, huh?” Roger laughed as his cold eyes met my own. “You been fucking him? Or I should say letting him fuck you…we both know it ain’t gonna happen the other way around. I gotta say…never thought you’d cheat on me. Although I can’t blame you with this one. He is rather exquisite, isn’t he? Or he used to be, anyway.”

“I never cheated on you,” I whispered. “I loved you.”

Roger snorted derisively. “Then you’re a bigger fool than I thought.”

Kevin jerked Roger forward roughly, dragging him toward the stairs. “You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you…” his voice trailed off as they ascended the stairs.

A slow creaking sound brought my attention to the other side of the room. The bed squeaked with Liam’s movements as he tended to Galen, breathing into his cousin’s mouth steadily. The thought of my friend dying was too much for me to bear. I was next to Liam in a few quick strides before I felt an arm around my shoulders, attempting to lead me away.

“The ambulance will be here in about twenty minutes. How is he?” Detective Adams asked.

Liam stopped his motions and placed his hand on Galen’s chest. “He’s breathing and has a pulse, but I don’t know for how long. He has some pretty extensive injuries.”

“Let’s go; I have some questions for you,” the detective stated.

I shook my head. “I’m staying.”

“Go, Josh. I’ve got him,” Liam said.

“I want to be here for him.”

“Like you’ve been there for him in the past? Sorry, Josh, but you’re the last person he needs right now.”

I flinched as if he had struck me. “I just want to help.”

Liam sighed. “I’m sorry. That was shitty of me.” He looked at Galen, the lines on his face pronounced in the dim light. “Can you get him a blanket, Josh?”

I nodded. “Yeah, I’ll go get one. Do you need anything else?”

Liam ran his hand through his hair. “I have no idea. I don’t think so.”

I looked at Galen’s still form as Liam gently stroked his hair. I wanted nothing more than to sit at his side and do the same. After our last encounter, I had been sure I lost his friendship, but losing him permanently was not something I cared to consider. I allowed the detective to lead me outside, past the patrol car containing Roger and Kevin. My heart raced as I passed my now-former lover. Although his face appeared passive, the set of his jaw and rigid posture told me he was fuming inside. A chill ran through my body as I entered the building.

I knew this place as intimately as I knew—thought I knew—Roger. I spent my days there since it wasn’t safe to explore the woods during hunting season unless you were a hunter, which I was not.

The door opened into a small kitchen/dining area where I spent the majority of my time cooking while Roger was out hunting. I enjoyed that time. Although I did most of the cooking at the farm, it was rare I spent an entire day doing so due to my teaching responsibilities. I paused at the worn, brown couch where we would sit in the evenings in each other’s arms in front of the wood-burning stove, chatting about whatever topics came to mind. We had even made love on that couch more than once. I realized that we spent most of our time together in the back bedroom. Roger was usually pretty tired after hunting all day, so we would eat, then either sit in front of the fire for a little bit or retreat directly to bed.

My back stiffened, eyes widening in realization. After Roger was out hunting all day… It seemed now that everything he had told me was a lie. I spent my days playing househusband while he had Galen five hundred yards away doing—I couldn’t even contemplate what he had done to put Galen in such a state. I ran to the bathroom and emptied my stomach. I slumped against the wall, my hand pressed to my forehead.

Detective Adams handed me a glass of water and knelt beside me. “How long did you know Michael Sullivan?”

I stared at him blankly.

“The man in the bunker….”

“His name is Roger,” I said.

“This property is deeded to a man named Michael Sullivan. DMV records and a background check confirmed his identity.”

I closed my eyes and held my breath. Apparently I didn’t even know my boyfriend’s name. “I’ve been told for years that Roger was just using me. I didn’t believe them. I thought I knew him better than anyone….”

“Betrayal is never easy, no matter what form it takes.”

I nodded in acknowledgement.

“Where can I find a blanket?”

I stood shakily. “In the bedroom.” The detective followed me as I headed into the room I shared with Roger and retrieved a soft blanket. It was plaid with muted earth tones to match the décor of the room. I had bought it during my first stay at the camp.

The patrol car containing Kevin and Roger was gone when we crossed the yard to re-enter the bunker. It was a strange feeling to think that I would probably never see him again. I swallowed the disgust that rose like bile from my stomach and followed the detective down the stairs.

Liam had turned Galen onto his stomach, and I almost threw up again when I saw why. His back was crisscrossed with deep wounds in varying stages of healing. The bed he lay on was stained dark crimson. His blond hair looked almost auburn from the matted clumps of blood. Liam’s eyes reflected my own horror.

“I want to get him out of here, but I’m afraid to move him.”

“I know it’s difficult, but we need to wait for the rescue squad,” Detective Adams replied. “Has he regained consciousness at all?”

Liam shook his head.

I handed him the blanket. “I’m not sure it’s a good idea to cover him. It might stick to his wounds.”

Liam clenched his jaw and balled his hand into a fist. “Tell me again you didn’t know.”

“I thought you knew me better than that. How can you possibly think I’m capable of this?”

Liam stood, his face inches from mine. “Maybe you stayed with him because you’re just as sick a fuck as he is.”

Anger flared within me. “I may be a fool, but I’m not a monster. I could never do this, especially to the man I lo—“ I stopped and turned away from him. I hastily brushed a tear away from my cheek, then faced Liam again. “I care about him too much to ever hurt him.”

Liam snorted. “You’ve done nothing but hurt him. You know, you’re a real piece of work sometimes.”

“Nice to know you think so much of our friendship.”

“Friendship? Friends listen to each other. They don’t accuse them of lying when the truth hurts too much to hear.”

“Is that your way of saying ‘I told you so?’ Well you know what, Liam. You were right. Roger’s an asshole, and I’m a fool. Happy now?” I couldn’t remember ever being as angry as I felt in that moment.

Liam glanced at Galen before narrowing his eyes at me. “Happy? Are you fucking kidding me? You stupid son of a—“ He stopped abruptly. “How could you be so blind? I mean seriously, Josh… I find it hard to believe there weren’t any clues.”

“Clues? You really think in my wildest imagination I thought he was capable of this? Galen is my closest friend. The thought of him lying here while—“ I swallowed the acid that rose in my throat.

Liam scrutinized me, his eyes boring into me as if he could see into my soul. “I think you were willfully ignorant. You didn’t want to see what was right in front of you. And it might have cost my cousin his life.” His voice broke on the last few words.

I shook my head. “You think I don’t blame myself? I keep thinking that I should have seen something…I should have known…I could have saved him sooner.”

Liam softened his stance and stepped a few feet away.

“For what it’s worth, I believe him,” Detective Adams said softly.

Liam sat down next to Galen, exhaling slowly. “I believe you too, Josh. You have to appreciate the position I’m in…I thought I’d seen everything during my law enforcement career… They don’t prepare you for the victim being someone close to you.”

“I understand, Liam. I’m not exactly feeling so great here myself.”

Detective Adams turned toward me. “It will be a little while before the paramedics arrive. I have some questions for you, Mr. …”

“Riordan. Joshua Riordan.”

Detective Adams nodded in acknowledgment. “Are you ok if we head to the cabin and wait for the ambulance there, Sheriff?”

Liam nodded. “Yeah, I’ll be fine.”

“I’m not leaving him,” I stated. “Besides, I don’t know what I can tell you.” I glanced at the cart across from us and grimaced. “I had no idea,” I whispered.

A low moan drew my attention to my injured friend. Galen’s face was twisted with fear, and his limbs twitched as if running. Liam smoothed his hair back and talked to him a low voice. “Easy there, little bro. You’re safe.”

I sat on Galen’s other side, unsure what to do. He cried out and stretched his hand toward me, as if reaching out for something. I took his hand in my own and squeezed it.

“You’re safe, Galen,” I said. “Liam and I are here. We won’t let anyone hurt you again.”

His demeanor instantly relaxed, and he slipped into unconsciousness once more. He remained still for the fifteen more minutes it took for the rescue squad to arrive. The look on the EMTs’ faces when they saw Galen’s condition, along with the environment we were in, told me just how dire his situation was.

After Galen was loaded into the ambulance, Detective Adams stayed behind to wait for the state investigators and forensic technicians to arrive. Liam and I were allowed to ride in the front of the ambulance since we had no other transportation to the hospital.

The nearest hospital was a good twenty minutes away, and with sirens blaring, the ambulance driver approached speeds that I would never attempt on such winding roads. The blare of alarms sounded a few times over the shriek of the ambulance siren, and I counted along with the EMTs in the back of the vehicle, willing Galen’s heart to beat in time with my own.

It felt like a lifetime until we reached the small hospital. They knew ahead of time that they were ill-equipped to handle someone in Galen’s condition. The nearest trauma center was at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in New Hampshire, and it was over an hour away via ambulance, so they made arrangements for a helicopter to airlift him after he was stabilized. There wasn’t enough room for Liam and me to accompany him, but the state police were also waiting for us and drove us with their lights and sirens blaring. By the time we arrived, I never wanted to hear another emergency siren in my life.

We were provided an update soon after we arrived. The news was not good. Galen’s bowel had been perforated, causing him to become septic. He would not have survived much longer than another day or two. He was in surgery to repair the perforation. They would also clean the wounds on his back and suture any that needed it.

Liam and I spent the next hour in a small waiting room. I sat on a lumpy, black sofa, and Liam alternated between sitting in a chair opposite me and pacing around the room like a caged animal. We didn’t converse, and the atmosphere was tense. Numbness set in as I tried to process everything that had happened since the three law enforcement officials had showed up at the camp.

I knew Roger could be a dick sometimes, but I never imagined him capable of the horror I had witnessed in that bunker. I thought about the first night we met. Even though we were both at a gay bar and hoping to get laid, we spent the night at his place talking. He told me about his hopes and dreams, and I was so proud of him when he started his own business a few years later. I now wondered if any of it was true. Did he even own a business? I stood and paced around the room, avoiding Liam as he walked his own circular pattern around the small room.

After a couple of minutes I flopped back down on the couch. Visions flashed through my mind: the first time Roger kissed me, the cute half smile on his face when I caught him watching me as I cooked for him, the hand-carved horse figurine sitting on my desk at work that he had bought for me on a business trip. The anger I felt the first time Alannah told me he had hit on her. I felt ashamed that I had directed my anger at her and not Roger. I hadn’t believed her, although at the same time, I was baffled as to why she would want to break us up. I felt like an idiot for not believing her.

I considered myself an intelligent man, so the idea of being fooled so completely by Roger felt like a physical punch. I tried desperately to think of anything that could have been a clue as to his predilections…but came up empty. I pounded my fists on my legs. There had to be something! How could I have been so blind?

I wondered if his kidnapping of Galen was deliberate due to our friendship, but pushed that idea aside almost immediately. So you know my latest prey… Roger’s words chilled me to the bone, and also implied that he was unaware of Galen’s connection to me. I felt my rejection of Galen even more acutely. Why had I passed up the beautiful blond’s attention for the sporadic visits of a man who, in retrospect, clearly had no respect for my needs?

It was a question I couldn’t answer, and one I feared would forever affect my relationship with Galen. I had made the biggest mistake of my life the day before I left for my trip—the day Galen asked me to choose between him and Roger. I wanted to go after him when he stormed out of the house, but Alannah had stopped me. She was right that he needed time—we all needed time for our emotions to settle down—but none of us could have known we’d never get that time. I wondered if things would be different right now if I had made a different decision. If I had stayed…if I had chosen Galen over Roger…would he be laying in that hospital bed right now, being put back together after Roger took him apart?

I had a secret that only Alannah knew; I had admitted to her that I made a mistake. I had planned on breaking up with Roger at the end of this trip. Galen had made me realize that I needed more out of life. Only now I was sure I’d never get that opportunity. I would never tell him of my plans; I was sure he wouldn’t believe me, or if it would even make a difference to him. Tears fell down my face as I convinced myself that Galen would never forgive me for what Roger did to him. I felt responsible for Galen being brought to that bunker.

You know my latest prey…. The words chilled me to the bone. I wondered how many other men Roger had kidnapped and brought to the camp, and what their ultimate fate was. I had a feeling I wouldn’t like the answer. I was pretty sure that he had no intention of Galen leaving that bunker alive.

I jumped when a strong arm snaked around my shoulders.

“Any news?”

I had only met him once, but the spiky, black hair and tribal neck tattoos made Jody pretty hard to forget. “He’s in surgery. They don’t know if—“

Jody’s jaw tensed and he tightened his arm around me. “So what happened? Liam was a bit vague on details.”

I closed my eyes and tried to fight the nausea I experienced whenever I thought of my friend’s condition.

“You OK? You’re looking a little green.”

I ran to the garbage can next to the door and vomited. I suppose ‘attempted to vomit’ would be more accurate since there wasn’t anything left for my stomach to purge. When I finished, Jody gently guided me back to the couch and sat next to me. I thought it was strange that he put his arm around me again.

“How’d you get here so quickly? We tried to call, but your cell went right to voicemail.”

Not surprising since it was on the nightstand next to the bed in the camp. I lifted my head and noticed Alannah sitting next to Liam, holding his hand. She met my gaze and walked over to me.

“How are you holding up, love?”

I shook my head, not trusting myself to speak. Alannah was the only person who knew my true feelings for Galen.

“I don’t think he’s doing so hot,” said Jody. “Do you have any idea what’s going on?”

She nodded and gestured for him to follow her. I heard Liam’s deep voice and Alannah and Jody’s gasps as he relayed the information he knew. I tried to separate myself from my surroundings, envisioning my favorite spot in the woods beyond the barn at the farm. It was a clearing at the edge of a small valley overlooking a narrow stream. It was spectacular in the fall, especially when the sun glinted off the crimson, yellow, and orange leaves that made the valley explode in a symphony of color. I closed my eyes and imagined I was there with Galen, sitting side by side, my friend even more beautiful than the scenery splayed out before me as the bright light reflected off his blond hair, reminiscent of living sunshine.

Jody brought me out of my reverie when he clasped his hand on my shoulder. The look of sympathy on his face almost made the dam bottling up my emotions burst, but I reinforced the cracks and held them back. Jody hugged me tightly and I was very confused by his behavior. He was Galen’s best friend. He knew the pain I had caused him. I had no idea why he was being so nice, especially since I was sure he knew of the connection between me and Galen’s abductor.

“Why are you being so nice to me?” I asked.

“I know I don’t really know you, but Galen’s told me a lot about you. Even though there’s been times I’ve wanted to kick your ass, you’ve also brought a lot of joy into his life. I’m pretty good at reading people, and I don’t think you had anything to do with this. You’re hurting just as much as everyone else. I think you need comfort right now just as much as I do.”

I nodded. “I can see why Galen likes you so much.”

He smiled. “Yeah, I am pretty awesome, aren’t I?”

My return smile was weak, but it was all I could manage.

 

We waited for several more hours for any further news. Liam changed out of his bloody uniform and was given a set of scrubs to put on. Detective Adams wanted to question me, but Jody wouldn’t let him. He said I wasn’t in any condition to answer questions and that I should have a lawyer present. He still confused me, but I was grateful for his presence.

We all sat up simultaneously when the surgeon entered the room and cleared his throat.

“Are you the family of Galen McLeod?”

Liam stood and nodded. “Yeah, I am.”

The lines on the surgeon’s face were pronounced and dark circles under his eyes, along with his expression, conveyed his exhaustion. “He’s out of surgery,” he stated. “Would you prefer that we speak in private?”

Liam shook his head. “It’ll save me having to repeat everything you tell me.”

The doctor gave a detailed description of Galen’s injuries and what he did to repair them. The basic gist was that while the surgery was successful, he was still in grave condition and not out of the woods yet.

“What are his chances?” Liam asked quietly.

“I don’t like to give percentages. People have a way of surprising us sometimes. I’ve seen men succumb to far lesser injuries than his; however, I get the feeling that he’s a fighter. We’ll know more in a couple of days. In the meantime, he’s in the recovery room and will be sent to the ICU shortly. You can visit him then.”

“Thank you, doctor,” Alannah said.

He nodded and left the room. We returned to our seats in silence, each of us processing the doctor’s news in different ways. Galen was still alive and fighting. That was the important part. We’d stand by him during his recovery, no matter how difficult it would prove to be.

I'd like to extend a huge thank you to Cole Matthews and Lisa for their awesome beta reading and editing. I'd also like to say a special thank you to Parker Owens for his beta reading this chapter. This chapter is so much better because of all your input. Thanks also to all who are reading/following this story. Your support means the world to me. :) Please leave a like or review and let me know how you liked the chapter. :)
Copyright © 2018 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 55
  • Love 1
  • Sad 8
  • Angry 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Great chapter! I, for one, am sooo anti-Josh! I think he totally deserved what he got from Liam. For blaming instead of listening to anyone and listening to his freak boyfriend, Josh deserves to feel like shit! I sure as hell wouldn't be in line to forgive him! That being said, looking forward to see what happens next!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Oh don't know if josh wasn't willfully blind here. That's a lot of hunting...not sure I believe him. However..will see!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I hate to say this but I actually think that Josh was just that damn blind. I mean when he originally met that disgusting piece of worthless trash he had just found out his bf at the time was cheating on him and was devastated. I can see why he didn't see the depravity of Roger: Rebound Guy. And after being with him for so long and being miss treated when he was around is all that he knew. Sounds a lot like domestic abuse to me. Roger never really showed Josh just how twisted he really as. I have some friends and I myself have fallen into similar situations with prior lovers, its hard to tell when someone you think you know is that F'd up. I Feel :,( sorry for him finding out what a monster his now ex- murderous boyfriend is this way. I feel eve more sorrow for what Galein had to endure before he was rescued and all the therapy he is going to need to be able to cope with just getting through even his day to day life. I know he will survive this ordeal and be stronger for it but he will never be the same, nor will anyone else for that matter. Liam will continue to have guilt over not checking up on Galein sooner, Josh will have guilt for not really knowing what and who Roger really was. Its all just a big ass cluster fuck at this point. I will say this I they the give that douchebag, psycho the chair though, but I will be as patient as I be and wait for the next chapter.
Great job on this chapter and all of the ones before it. :thumbup: Laura

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/09/2016 12:24 PM, jaysalmn said:

Great chapter! I, for one, am sooo anti-Josh! I think he totally deserved what he got from Liam. For blaming instead of listening to anyone and listening to his freak boyfriend, Josh deserves to feel like shit! I sure as hell wouldn't be in line to forgive him! That being said, looking forward to see what happens next!

Emotions are running high right now, that's for sure. Josh did deserve to be called out for sticking by Roger for so long, but now that the truth is out it's time for all them to start healing. It won't be an easy process, that's for sure. Thanks so much for reading and leaving a review. I appreciate it!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/09/2016 12:48 PM, Mikiesboy said:

Oh don't know if josh wasn't willfully blind here. That's a lot of hunting...not sure I believe him. However..will see!

I thought that people usually go hunting all day or until they catch something...maybe I'm wrong on that point. Thanks for the review, Tim. There's lots more to come!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/09/2016 03:28 PM, lmoline said:

I hate to say this but I actually think that Josh was just that damn blind. I mean when he originally met that disgusting piece of worthless trash he had just found out his bf at the time was cheating on him and was devastated. I can see why he didn't see the depravity of Roger: Rebound Guy. And after being with him for so long and being miss treated when he was around is all that he knew. Sounds a lot like domestic abuse to me. Roger never really showed Josh just how twisted he really as. I have some friends and I myself have fallen into similar situations with prior lovers, its hard to tell when someone you think you know is that F'd up. I Feel :,( sorry for him finding out what a monster his now ex- murderous boyfriend is this way. I feel eve more sorrow for what Galein had to endure before he was rescued and all the therapy he is going to need to be able to cope with just getting through even his day to day life. I know he will survive this ordeal and be stronger for it but he will never be the same, nor will anyone else for that matter. Liam will continue to have guilt over not checking up on Galein sooner, Josh will have guilt for not really knowing what and who Roger really was. Its all just a big ass cluster fuck at this point. I will say this I they the give that douchebag, psycho the chair though, but I will be as patient as I be and wait for the next chapter.

Great job on this chapter and all of the ones before it. :thumbup: Laura

You have good insight into Josh. Just an FYI, though...it was Galen who left the cheating boyfriend. Josh was single and very lonely when he met Roger...something that Roger took advantage of, no doubt. You are so right when you say that Roger never showed Josh his 'monstrous' side. People like him are master manipulators and it's very difficult to see their true selves unless they slip up or something happens to reveal their true colors. You are also right in that there is plenty of guilt going around. It's going to be a long, hard healing process with lots of bumps on the way. Thanks so much for such a thorough and insightful review. It makes me very happy to know that other people are enjoying reading the story as much as I am writing it. :)

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

i'm not in the "anti josh" camp. the amount of abuse roger heaped on josh was a lot. i think josh was starting to come to the same conclusion. roger took advantage of a very fragile man. lonely and heartbroken, josh was ripe for the picking. having been in that situation with an ex (not quite as f*ed-up as roger, but close) i never had a clue until it blew up in my face. yes josh needed to be called out about hanging on as long a he did, but the guilt and pain he will go through might kill him. i hope he'll have some support to get through it. you'll never get over it (its been 30 years for me and still have nightmares--and i was only his ex, not even involved with what he did), you'll only get through it.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/12/2016 10:12 AM, mogwhy said:

i'm not in the "anti josh" camp. the amount of abuse roger heaped on josh was a lot. i think josh was starting to come to the same conclusion. roger took advantage of a very fragile man. lonely and heartbroken, josh was ripe for the picking. having been in that situation with an ex (not quite as f*ed-up as roger, but close) i never had a clue until it blew up in my face. yes josh needed to be called out about hanging on as long a he did, but the guilt and pain he will go through might kill him. i hope he'll have some support to get through it. you'll never get over it (its been 30 years for me and still have nightmares--and i was only his ex, not even involved with what he did), you'll only get through it.

You are quite right on a lot of counts. Roger was a master manipulator who knew exactly how to play Josh. I can also say I've experienced firsthand the lies and deceit of a narcissist and sociopath (not like Roger, but someone with no empathy for others). I'm glad you understand Josh so well, but am sorry you had to experience that with your ex. We are at the turning point of the story now. Next comes picking up the pieces. Thank you so much for such a thoughtful review. I really appreciate it. :)

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

What a terrible wake up call for Josh... To not know what was going on was not so surprising to me. Who would believe their loved one to be capable of such heinous acts? A complete monster. Still surprising he stayed with Roger for so long, but his reasoning might become clearer further on. Sure, there was love in the beginning, but he had to know something was missing. Their relationship was hardly a relationship. Then again, we do weird things in relationships.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/14/2016 05:14 AM, Puppilull said:

What a terrible wake up call for Josh... To not know what was going on was not so surprising to me. Who would believe their loved one to be capable of such heinous acts? A complete monster. Still surprising he stayed with Roger for so long, but his reasoning might become clearer further on. Sure, there was love in the beginning, but he had to know something was missing. Their relationship was hardly a relationship. Then again, we do weird things in relationships.

Yeah, it's amazing what people put up with in the name of 'love'. Thanks for the review, Puppilull. I'm glad that people are understanding Josh more. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Sorry for the delay in reading/reviewing this chapter. I've been distracted lately and reading very little on this site. Thanks for updating Josh and Galen's story. This was a difficult chapter to read, and I'm sure it was more than doubly so to write.

 

While I'm sure you had your reasons for writing it that way, I'm finding it difficult to believe that Roger's selection of Galen as a victim was entirely coincidental. It just seems so unlikely that a random guy he met in a bar and decided to carve up was the close friend and secret love of the boyfriend he was abusing. It also means that Liam's anger at Josh was entirely unfounded. Even if Josh had recognized Roger's abusiveness and broken up with him, if Roger truly had no idea about Josh and Galen's friendship then he could have still picked Galen (or anyone else) as a victim. Blaming Josh because he hadn't started a relationship with Galen is just unreasonable. No one is responsible for anyone else that way. You could say Galen was stupid for going off with a stranger to his isolated cabin in the mountains. But, ultimately, the only person who can be blamed is Roger.

 

Please don't take this as criticism. I am really enjoying the story! Looking forward to the next installment.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I'm still stunned. What Josh is guilty of, is leading Galen on, letting him think there was something to hang around for, while holding onto his boyfriend. But Galen is responsible too. I never liked that he got cheated on, and still pursued someone who was in a relationship. There are big flaws on both sides, but Josh isn't responsible for what Roger/Michael has done. In my opinion relationships seldom work when one leaves someone for another, but in this case there is a finality to Josh and Roger's end. Anyway, there's a lot of healing to be done. Both men need to get through this and try to build something real... if they still can. All caught up now... another great chapter, Val... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/16/2016 10:24 AM, impunity said:

Sorry for the delay in reading/reviewing this chapter. I've been distracted lately and reading very little on this site. Thanks for updating Josh and Galen's story. This was a difficult chapter to read, and I'm sure it was more than doubly so to write.

 

While I'm sure you had your reasons for writing it that way, I'm finding it difficult to believe that Roger's selection of Galen as a victim was entirely coincidental. It just seems so unlikely that a random guy he met in a bar and decided to carve up was the close friend and secret love of the boyfriend he was abusing. It also means that Liam's anger at Josh was entirely unfounded. Even if Josh had recognized Roger's abusiveness and broken up with him, if Roger truly had no idea about Josh and Galen's friendship then he could have still picked Galen (or anyone else) as a victim. Blaming Josh because he hadn't started a relationship with Galen is just unreasonable. No one is responsible for anyone else that way. You could say Galen was stupid for going off with a stranger to his isolated cabin in the mountains. But, ultimately, the only person who can be blamed is Roger.

 

Please don't take this as criticism. I am really enjoying the story! Looking forward to the next installment.

I'm glad you had a chance to read the chapter and let me know your thoughts. It was a hard chapter to write. I ended up scrapping it several times before finally coming up with a product I was happy with.

 

You make some good points. As far as the coincidence of Roger choosing Galen, I would say that sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. I don't think it's that far out of the realm of plausibility, even if it is an incredible coincidence. My brother grew up on the East coast, moved to a western state, then joined a sports team. A new member of that team had grown up in the midwest, but spent summers at his grandma's in the East. Turned out his grandma was our next door neighbor and they were old childhood friends! So strange coincidences do happen.

 

You are right that Liam's anger was misplaced, but everyone's emotions are running so high right now it's easy to see why he confronted Josh.

 

Details about what happened to Galen will be forthcoming. We don't know how or why he went with Roger. ;)

 

Thank you for the detailed review. I hope my reply didn't come off as defensive, since I really don't mean it that way. I love that this story has people thinking and that the characters evoke such strong reactions. And thank you for your continued support. It means a lot to me. :hug:

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/18/2016 05:13 AM, Headstall said:

I'm still stunned. What Josh is guilty of, is leading Galen on, letting him think there was something to hang around for, while holding onto his boyfriend. But Galen is responsible too. I never liked that he got cheated on, and still pursued someone who was in a relationship. There are big flaws on both sides, but Josh isn't responsible for what Roger/Michael has done. In my opinion relationships seldom work when one leaves someone for another, but in this case there is a finality to Josh and Roger's end. Anyway, there's a lot of healing to be done. Both men need to get through this and try to build something real... if they still can. All caught up now... another great chapter, Val... cheers... Gary....

I don't think Josh led Galen on. He made it pretty clear that he was sticking with Roger, even if he was starting to feel doubt. There was an undercurrent to their friendship, but I don't think think either one of them was going to act on it until they were both available...if that was ever going to happen. Flaws on both sides? Most definitely! lol Now we get to deal with the aftermath and see what's left once the pieces are picked up. There's definitely a hard road ahead. Thanks again for all the reviews. I'm glad you're caught up! :)

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Not to underscore by any means the horror of what happened to Galen, I do think that Josh too is as much a victim. I also think that he was so desperate to be loved/wanted (?) that he let himself see only what he wanted in Roger. So many people were pointing out Roger's faults and he became defensive of their relationship and just dug in deeper even though he was falling for Josh. That was perfect for Roger it seems.
Now, Josh will have to sort through years of mental manipulation. He'll be wondering how many other bodies there are and how complicit he was. I don't envy the guilt and blame he will face.
Liam's anger is understandable, but Jody and Alannah are understanding. That's not a bad thing necessarily. It will be interesting to see how Galen handles it all once he's out of the woods..

 

Great job Val!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/26/2016 10:03 AM, Defiance19 said:

Not to underscore by any means the horror of what happened to Galen, I do think that Josh too is as much a victim. I also think that he was so desperate to be loved/wanted (?) that he let himself see only what he wanted in Roger. So many people were pointing out Roger's faults and he became defensive of their relationship and just dug in deeper even though he was falling for Josh. That was perfect for Roger it seems.

Now, Josh will have to sort through years of mental manipulation. He'll be wondering how many other bodies there are and how complicit he was. I don't envy the guilt and blame he will face.

Liam's anger is understandable, but Jody and Alannah are understanding. That's not a bad thing necessarily. It will be interesting to see how Galen handles it all once he's out of the woods..

 

Great job Val!

I think you've pretty much nailed what Josh is going/has been through. There's a lot of healing that needs to be done, and just by Galen. Thanks for the thoughtful review. I really appreciate your support of this story. :)

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Hmmm this sure took a Dark turn. So funny I had a feeling that there was something off about Roger a cheater maybe but not a psychopathic killer, I fear what they will find

on Rogers land. Since this is Galen's story I am fairly sure he isn't going to die. Unless you have a bad day ROFL:rofl:

Great chapter:P

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

It wouldn't be the first time I had a major character die... :devil:  :X  You'll just have to read on to see... Thanks for reading!  

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

Yes Josh is going to need a lot of healing especially when he realizes that Roger/Michael was there to pick up his next victim when they met. It could have easily have been Josh instead of whoever it was that time.

 

Wonderful story so far. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
32 minutes ago, Elfstone said:

Yes Josh is going to need a lot of healing especially when he realizes that Roger/Michael was there to pick up his next victim when they met. It could have easily have been Josh instead of whoever it was that time.

 

Wonderful story so far. 

Thanks so much :) And you are absolutely right.  Love your screen name, BTW.  I'm a huge Shannara fan :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This chapter certainly did not endear me to Josh at all.  Poor Galen has been through hell and fighting for his life and Josh is over here moping, about how mad HE is, and how bad HE feels....He is all ME ME ME.  Seems very selfish.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
7 minutes ago, CassieQ said:

This chapter certainly did not endear me to Josh at all.  Poor Galen has been through hell and fighting for his life and Josh is over here moping, about how mad HE is, and how bad HE feels....He is all ME ME ME.  Seems very selfish.  

I can see how it comes across that way in this chapter.  Hopefully he'll redeem himself in future chapters.  He's not a bad guy.  Thanks for reading and commenting!  :) 

  • Like 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
22 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

I can see how it comes across that way in this chapter.  Hopefully he'll redeem himself in future chapters.  He's not a bad guy.  Thanks for reading and commenting!  :) 

Firstly, I do believe I care for Josh, a little bit, because otherwise I wouldn't find him so incredibly frustrating.

 

I know that you say Josh isn't a bad guy, but he isn't acting like a good guy.  The way he dangled the possibility of a relationship in Galen's face at the wedding only to rebuff Galen's advances later on was unbelievably cruel.  

 

Josh has hurt Galen again and again by being a spineless coward who isn't willing to fight for Galen the way Galen was willing to fight for him.  

 

Now that Galen is broken and hurt, Josh has an opportunity to stand the fuck up and be strong for Galen but instead he is sniveling in the corner and depending on Jody, of all people, for comfort.  

 

There is a serious stumbling block in their relationship, but it's Josh, not Roger, who is the problem.  BTW, I hope something really really terrible happens to Roger.  

 

I like the story and I like the way you write realistic characters with deep flaws but Josh really needs to pull it together, get his head out of his ass, and be the stand up guy that Galen deserves.  

 

(I can't remember the last time I was this invested in a story, good job).  :2thumbs:   

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

@CassieQ I love that you are so invested in this story and that it's provoking such strong reactions.  And you are absolutely right about Josh.  He's made more than his share of mistakes and needs to move past them.  We'll see what happens in future chapters.  Thanks for the thought-provoking comments.  :) 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..