Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 4,006 Words
  • 3,856 Views
  • 23 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Hollow Hills - 25. Chapter 25

Galen

I was jolted awake. Bright lights blinded me. Tires squealed. My stomach lurched as I was flung forward and sideways. I was restrained and couldn’t move. I flashed back to months ago—to a dark room, immobile, helpless—in excruciating pain. The lower half of my body fell off the seat I occupied, while my upper body twisted in my restraints.

I gasped as the strap restricted my breathing. My heart pounded in my chest as I moved to push myself upright. As I rose into a seated position, I realized that I could move—I wasn’t in the bunker, and my companion was not Michael Sullivan. I closed my eyes and leaned against the headrest for a moment and concentrated on getting my breathing under control.

I turned my head and looked at Josh. He stared forward; his brown eyes were wide and he gripped the steering wheel so hard his knuckles were white.

“Josh? Are you OK? What happened?” I asked.

He turned and looked at me. “I think I fell asleep. I opened my eyes and I was in the other lane and—” His voice trembled as he spoke. “We need to stop. I can’t keep driving.”

I swallowed. While I was anxious to get back to the farm and familiar surroundings, I also wanted to arrive in one piece. I nodded.

“Would you hand me the GPS? I think it fell by your feet,” Josh said.

I reached down and handed it to him. He tapped on the screen several times, then set it down on the seat with a huff.

“The nearest hotel is at least a half hour away. I won’t last that long. Would you mind sleeping in the truck?”

I shook my head and unlatched my seat belt. After making sure he was parked far enough off the road to be safe, Josh slid behind me, and we somehow managed to lie side-by-side in the narrow space.

 

I must have fallen asleep almost immediately, because the next thing I knew, bright light flooded the truck’s cab and loud knocking on the windows made both Josh and me sit bolt upright.

“All right, boys. This isn’t the place for that,” a stern voice stated.

I broke out into a cold sweat and my body shook. Josh ran his hand through his hair and down his face.

“Fuck.” He slid toward the driver’s side door and rolled down the window halfway. “Is there a problem, officer?”

“Why are you parked on the side of the road?”

“I needed to sleep. I couldn’t drive anymore.”

“Have you been drinking?”

Josh spoke through a yawn, slurring his words. “No, sir. I’m just exhausted.”

“Get out of the vehicle. Slowly, with your hands up.”

Josh moved to open the door, but I grabbed his arm, stopping him. I had to protect him. Someone was trying to get to us. A malevolent smile and cold eyes flashed into my mind as my drugged body was shoved into the back seat of a car. I shook my head. “Don’t,” I said.

“Get out of the vehicle. Now,” the officer demanded.

I gripped Josh’s arm tighter.

“It’s OK,” Josh said. “I’ll get everything straightened out.”

“I’m not asking again. Exit the vehicle. Now!”

“Galen, we need to listen to the police officer,” Josh said. “We’re exiting. Please, don’t shoot.”

Shoot? My chest heaved as I gasped for breath. We were in imminent danger from the stranger outside of Josh’s truck.

Josh opened the door and stood with his hands in the air. “We’re not doing anything wrong, officer.”

“Put your hands on the hood and stand with your legs apart. Don’t move.”

I froze as light flooded the cab, blinding me, and I wrapped my arms around my chest.

“Sir, get out of the damn truck before I haul you out of there myself.”

“Galen, it’s OK. He’s a police officer. Get out of the truck. I’m right here!” Josh yelled.

“Shut up!” The man opened the driver’s side door wider. The light still shone in my eyes, but I could make out his silhouette as he bent and looked inside the truck.

“Officer, please! He has PTSD. He’s terrified. He won’t hurt you! Let me talk to him,” Josh pleaded.

“You’ll stay where you are,” the officer responded.

I took advantage of the temporary distraction and flung open the passenger side door, scrambled out of the truck, and ran to Josh. I grabbed his arm and pulled him toward the woods. “C’mon!”

“Son of a bitch… Freeze!”

“Galen, no! Stop!”

I couldn’t understand why Josh refused to move. Didn’t he understand? He stood in front of me, hands raised in a placating manner. “Just let me calm him down. We’re not going anywhere…. Please.” He turned to face me, a desperate expression on his face. “Galen. We’re not in danger… calm down. He’s a police officer, like Liam. He’s not going to hurt us.”

Liam? I shielded my eyes against the glare of the flashlight. The man standing before us wore a tan uniform just like my cousin’s. He also held a gun and watched us with a stern expression on his face. I swallowed.

“Liam? Are you talking about Liam McLeod?” he asked.

“Yes. He’s a friend of mine. This is his cousin,” Josh responded.

The officer lowered his weapon. “I’m Eddie Bailey, Sheriff of Bennington County. I know Sheriff McLeod.” He stepped toward us and I took a step back. “So what, exactly, is going on here?”

“We drove to New York City this morning and decided to head back tonight. I must have fallen asleep at the wheel, because I almost hit someone head-on. I was too exhausted to drive and there aren’t any hotels nearby, so we decided to sleep here. I’m sorry. I didn’t think we’d be bothering anyone.”

“I’d like to see your license and registration, please.”

“Sure. They’re in the truck. Is it OK if I go get them?”

“How about your friend gets them?”

“Yeah, sure. Galen, they’re in the glove compartment.”

I narrowed my eyes at the sheriff and looked at Josh. I didn’t want to leave the safety of his side, even though this man said he knew my cousin.

Josh nodded. “It’s OK. Go ahead.”

I walked around to the passenger side of the truck. I slid inside and found the registration right underneath Josh’s wallet. I grabbed both and walked back to where Josh and the sheriff stood. I hesitated when I heard my name.

“… and Galen. They’re right here.”

Sheriff Bailey was speaking on the phone and looking at Josh. “They’re fine. Just tired. No… don’t come out here. I just wanted to verify their identity. Thanks, Liam. Sorry I woke you.”

I rushed to Josh’s side and held out my hand. “Liam?” I asked.

I tried to still my trembling as the sheriff exchanged looks with Josh and then handed me his phone. “Cuz?”

“Yeah, it’s me, little bro. You OK?”

I nodded, then realized my cousin couldn’t see me. “Yeah. So you know this guy?”

“Sheriff Bailey’s a good friend. I’ve known him for years. You can trust him.”

I exhaled in relief. Liam was a good judge of people. I trusted his opinion. “Thanks, cuz.” I handed the phone back to Sheriff Bailey.

He pocketed the phone. “Look, guys, I’m real sorry about all this. We’ve had some trouble with teenagers who use this area to party. So when I saw your vehicle, I assumed you were a couple of high-schoolers up to no good.”

Josh gestured toward his salt and pepper hair. “It’s been a while since I’ve been in high school.”

The Sheriff laughed. “I can see that. Hey, you can’t stay out here. I live about five minutes down the road. Do you think you can follow me or would you prefer if I drive?”

“Follow you where?” Josh asked.

“You can spend the night at my house. Mattie won’t mind. I have another hour before my shift ends, but I can wait it out at home. I’ll have to leave if I get a call, though.”

“I hate for you to go to so much trouble,” Josh stated.

“It’s no trouble. Really. Maybe it will make up for scaring the crap out of you.”

Josh turned to me. “Galen, what do you think?”

I looked at the sheriff, then Josh. Josh had dark circles under his eyes and looked pale in the glare of the sheriff’s cruiser’s headlights. He did so much for me, and it was my fault we were in this predicament in the first place. I had to do this for him. I nodded.

Josh exhaled and his shoulders slumped. “Thank you.”

“Follow me.” Sheriff Bailey strode to his vehicle as Josh and I slid into his truck.

We followed him for about five minutes, then he turned down a tree-lined driveway and stopped in front of a large farmhouse. Josh pulled up next to him and turned off the engine. He grabbed our suitcase out of the back of the truck, then we headed up the walkway behind the sheriff.

The interior reminded me of the house at Hollow Hills. The large kitchen was open and inviting, with an oak table in the middle of it that could seat about six people. One person was sitting there when we entered, and he rose when he saw us and immediately embraced Sheriff Bailey.

“This is my husband, Matt. Mattie, this is Josh and Galen.”

Matt smiled and held out his hand. “Nice to meet you. We love having guests.”

Josh shook his hand, and I followed suit. My hand trembled, even though I tried my damnedest to stop it.

“Thank you for letting us stay here,” Josh said. “I really appreciate it. There’s no way I’d be able to make it home tonight.”

“Not a problem. We’re happy to help. Can I get you anything? Tea? Coffee? I made cookies earlier today. Oatmeal chocolate chip,” Matt stated.

“Those are Galen’s favorite.” Josh turned and bumped into me. “What do you think?”

I looked past his shoulder at Matt, then made eye contact with the sheriff. His sapphire eyes conveyed understanding and sympathy without pity. Now that I got a good look, and he wasn’t pointing a gun at me, I saw something undefinable in his expression that made me trust him, despite not knowing him. After glancing at Josh, I nodded.

“Tea and cookies sounds wonderful,” Josh said. “Thank you.”

I pulled a chair right next to Josh’s and sat so our legs were in contact. Despite my moment with the sheriff, I was still fighting my anxiety at being around strangers. Especially strangers who were bringing me food and drink. My rational side told me I could trust the two men, but my irrational side whispered that the tea was drugged. Being close to Josh helped me relax and listen to my rational side.

Josh, Eddie, and Matt engaged in small talk while I nibbled on a cookie and sipped herbal tea. I liked the mild flavor, even though I wasn’t particularly a tea drinker. They occasionally directed a question my way, and Josh answered for me while I used the excuse of having food in my mouth. During a lull in the conversation, Josh’s head drooped and he startled awake, causing me to spill some of the tea onto the tablecloth.

“Sorry about that,” Josh said as he dabbed at the spot with a napkin.

“Don’t worry about it. That’s what it’s there for. I shouldn’t have chatted your ear off when you came here to sleep. I have our guest room upstairs ready for you. I’ll show you where everything is.” Matt rose and we followed him up the wooden stairs into a room to the left of the landing. He gestured to the large double-bed that occupied the majority of the space. “I hope this is all right.”

“It’s perfect. Thank you. I really appreciate this,” Josh said.

“It’s our pleasure.” Matt showed us the location of the bathroom and the bedroom he shared with Sheriff Bailey. “Don’t hesitate to ask if you need anything. We’ll be downstairs until Eddie’s shift ends, then we’ll head to bed, too.”

“Sounds great. Thanks, again.”

“No problem. Good night.”

“Good night,” Josh replied as Matt headed down the stairs. Josh opened our suitcase and handed me my pajamas before removing his own pair. He immediately started changing, while I shuffled my feet and turned away.

I sat heavily on the edge of the bed, twisting my pajama bottoms. What I wouldn’t have given a year ago to be in this position… and now I couldn’t even watch the man I’d lusted after for so long change his clothes.

“You OK, Galen?” The bed sank as Josh slid beneath the covers. “Why aren’t you changing? You don’t want to sleep in your clothes, do you?”

Was I OK? Not even close.

“Galen?” Josh looked at me with a mixture of concern and annoyance. I met his gaze and stopped fiddling with my nightclothes. “Well, I’m going to sleep. Join me when you’re ready.” He turned onto his side, facing away from me.

I stood and changed, then turned off the light and settled in next to Josh. He usually turned so he was sleeping on his back and I would curl up into his side, but he was already asleep. I scooted as close as I could and put my arm around his waist. It would have to do for the night.

 

I woke before Josh the next morning, which didn’t happen very often. During the night, we had shifted into our usual position, with his arm holding me into his side and my head on his shoulder. I felt safe and secure, feelings that had become foreign to me, but were now becoming back into focus. My bladder decided it wouldn’t let me enjoy my time with Josh, so I got up headed into the hallway.

The enticing scent of bacon made my mouth water, and my stomach rumbled. I used the facilities, washed my hands, and then stood in the hallway. I debated whether I wanted to crawl back into bed with Josh or head downstairs for food. Despite my wariness of strangers, there was something about Sheriff Bailey that resonated with me.

I inhaled and my mouth watered. How could I say no to bacon? I headed downstairs and hesitated at the kitchen entrance. The sheriff stood at the stove, turning bacon in a frying pan. He looked much different than he did the night before—less intimidating somehow in his lounge pants and t-shirt. He looked at me and smiled. “Good morning. Come on in and have a seat.”

I sat down at the table and watched as he placed the sizzling strips of meat onto a paper-towel lined plate.

“Can I get you a cup of coffee or something to drink?”

“No, thank you,” I replied.

“Well, I hope you’re hungry. Breakfast is almost ready. Mattie does most of the cooking, but I’m passable at bacon and eggs.”

Passable. Passable described my own cooking skills. I nodded, then realized the sheriff couldn’t see me with his back turned. “Sounds good.”

He turned and looked at me with a curious expression on his face. “I’ve known your cousin for a long time. He’s a good man.”

I felt like his blue eyes bore into my soul, but strangely, it didn’t bother me. There was something in his gaze beyond simple eye contact. “Yeah, he is.”

“You sure you don’t want coffee or something? I think we have orange juice in the fridge.”

“Um, yeah, OK. Coffee, I guess,” I said.

As the sheriff broke eye contact and moved to pour me a cup of coffee, I realized what I saw in his look. Understanding. He knew what I was going through. I grasped the armrests of my chair tightly.

“How do you take your coffee?” he asked.

I looked at him, trying to still my hands and calm my breathing. He looked at me with a strange expression.

“Good morning! You guys are up early.”

I jumped at the strange voice. Mattie entered the kitchen and kissed his husband. “Smells great, sweetheart.”

“Galen, how do you want your coffee?”

The presence of another person was too much for my anxiety to handle. I didn’t trust getting a drink from someone I didn’t know. Part of me realized how irrational that thought was. The sheriff was not going to drug me and kidnap me. I closed my eyes and concentrated on keeping my breathing even.

“He likes it with cream and sugar. Like three spoonfuls. He’s got a bit of a sweet tooth.”

I sighed and loosened my grip on the chair when I heard Josh’s voice. He pulled a chair next to mine and I moved my leg close to his and hooked my arm around his. The contact soothed my anxiety even more.

Josh yawned. “I was surprised to find you gone when I woke up. I hope you slept OK.”

“I smelled bacon,” I replied.

He grinned and laughed. “I should have guessed.”

Sheriff Bailey set a mug of steaming coffee in front of me. “Let me know if you need more sugar.” He winked. “Josh, what can I get you?”

“Black coffee would be wonderful.”

“Coming right up!”

After serving Josh his coffee, the sheriff and Mattie cooked breakfast together. The bacon was finished, so they set about making eggs, toast, and hash browns. I watched them work together and felt a sense of peace. It was an odd thought to me, until I looked at Josh and realized that the Sheriff and his husband worked the same way Josh and I did in the kitchen.

He returned my gaze with liquid brown eyes I could get lost in. “What’s that look for?”

I shrugged and looked away. Mattie passed around the plates of food and Josh took enough food for both of us before passing them on to the sheriff. I set an empty plate next to Josh, who looked at me in surprise. I also thought I saw a flash of hurt cross his features. He scooped my food onto the plate, and handed it to me.

“He doesn’t eat much, so I got into the habit of putting enough food for both of us on one plate,” he explained. Mattie and Eddie exchanged puzzled looks.

I ate most of what was on my plate—one fried egg, two strips of bacon, some hash browns, and half a slice of toast. Mattie and Sheriff Bailey were good cooks—not as good as Josh, of course—but, as the Sheriff had stated, passable.

Josh and the two men made small talk as we ate. They’d been married for about five years and lived in a farmhouse Eddie had inherited after his grandmother passed away.

“So how long have you two been together?” asked Mattie.

I felt Josh flinch, and I looked down at the table and fiddled with my napkin, frowning.

“Um… we’re… well… not together,” Josh mumbled.

Eddie and Mattie each raised an eyebrow.

“It’s… complicated,” Josh stated. His face was bright red. I glared at him with narrowed eyes. “Do you really want me to explain everything?” he asked me.

I shook my head. Complicated. That was the understatement of the year.

Josh offered to help them clean up the breakfast dishes, but they refused, saying we were their guests, so we headed upstairs to get ready for the day. When we finished and headed back down, the Sheriff and Mattie were sitting in the living room. The back wall of the room featured large sliding glass doors that overlooked a beautiful wooded expanse.

Josh sat on the couch and I sat next to him. “This is a beautiful place you have here. It reminds me a lot of our home.”

Our home? Up until that point, I had given no thought to my future. As Josh had stated, we weren’t a couple, and I couldn’t stay at the Hollow Hills forever. I swallowed.

“What time were you guys thinking of heading out? I’m not kicking you out, mind you. I was just wondering what Mattie should get out for dinner,” Eddie stated.

“We should probably head out shortly. We’ve imposed on your hospitality enough,” Josh responded.

“Fair enough. You’re welcome to stay longer, if you want. It’s been nice having the company.”

“So my company isn’t enough?” Mattie teased.

The Sheriff grinned. “Different kind of company.”

Mattie threw a pillow at his husband. “I can’t believe you just said that! Oh wait… yes, I can!”

I smiled. I liked these two.

We stayed about twenty minutes longer, chatting about the two farms and their upkeep. Or, more accurately, Josh and the other two men did while I watched. I found me growing increasingly anxious as the time approached for Josh and me to hit the road. When Josh stood and announced we should leave, I pulled him back onto the couch.

“I want to stay,” I stated.

Josh raised an eyebrow. “Galen, we’ve impo—”

“I want to talk to the sheriff.”

“Please, call me Eddie.”

Josh looked like I had physically struck him. I reached out and held his hand.

“I need to do this.” I looked into his eyes and he nodded, then smiled.

“OK. Of course.” He squeezed my hand. “As long as it’s all right with them.”

“Sure thing. I need to plan dinner. Josh, you want to help me?” Mattie asked.

“He’s a chef. Of course he’ll help,” I stated.

“A chef? You didn’t tell me! Well I’m going to pick your brain then.” Mattie and Josh retreated into the kitchen, leaving me alone with Eddie.

Eddie moved to sit on the end of the couch opposite where I sat. “So what’s on your mind?”

“You’re like me,” I said.

“What do you mean?”

“I can see it in your eyes. You’ve…suffered.”

His sapphire eyes clouded for a moment and he clenched his jaw. “Yeah. I’ve suffered,” he responded.

“So have I.”

He nodded. “I know.”

I flinched. “You know what… what he did to me?”

“Not all the details, but I know about the Sullivan case.”

Hearing the name sent a chill down my spine. “What happened to you?”

“I served two tours in Afghanistan. I had some trouble… adjusting when I returned. It took a few months, but I was eventually diagnosed with PTSD because of what I experienced over there.”

“How did you get over it?”

“I’m going to be honest with you… I didn’t get over it. But I learned how to live with it, with Mattie’s help and extensive therapy.”

I thought about his words. I was leery of Dr. Snowden because I didn’t want to face what had happened to me. I wasn’t sure I was ready for that, but something had to change. I couldn’t go on with the way things were.

“I’m afraid of therapy,” I stated.

“I can understand that. You’re going to have to go to places you never wanted to return to in order to move past them. Something happened to you, but it doesn’t have to define you. You are more than the sum of your experiences.”

I sighed. “I’m not sure I’m ready to face it.”

“You’ll know when you are. But you can’t put it off forever. It’s not fair to you or Josh.”

I nodded. He was right. “Thank you.”

“Any time.”

 

Josh and I headed home after dinner that night. We rode in mostly silence until we turned down the road to the farm. “When’s my next appointment with Dr. Snowden?”

“Next Thursday.”

“Do you think we could make it sooner?”

“I’ll call him and find out.” He turned the truck down the driveway to the Hollow Hills and we arrived home.

A huge thank you to Parker Owens for editing this chapter and to Cole Matthews for beta reading. I welcome all reactions, comments, and rants. Thanks for reading!
Copyright © 2018 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 38
  • Love 13
  • Wow 5
  • Sad 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Josh may be a bit hurt Galen's breakthrough came by aid of Eddie, but I think he'll soon realize without his everyday care that breakthrough wouldn't have been possible. So therapy is the way to go. Scary but necessary.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 2/25/2018 at 11:05 AM, Wesley8890 said:

Omg I was scared for a second there!!! I like Eddie and Mattie! 

:hug: Eddie and Mattie are pretty awesome :) Thanks for reading :) 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 2/25/2018 at 12:59 PM, Puppilull said:

Josh may be a bit hurt Galen's breakthrough came by aid of Eddie, but I think he'll soon realize without his everyday care that breakthrough wouldn't have been possible. So therapy is the way to go. Scary but necessary.  

Therapy is definitely necessary for both of them.  It's scary to face our demons, but it has to be done in order to exorcise them.  Thanks for reading and commenting. :) 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 2/25/2018 at 3:41 PM, jaysalmn said:

I'm glad Galen had that talk with Eddie. He's finally realizing he has to do something different, no matter how frightening it could be. Maybe Eddie will play a role in his direction, since he's went through kind of the same. Also, Galen seems to have a lot of trust in him. Still love this story, and looking forward to reading more!

I'm glad you're still enjoying the story.  Thanks for the comment! Chapter 26 will post on Sunday.  :) 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 2/26/2018 at 2:14 AM, glennish said:

It is good to see Galen more self aware.  Watching him and Josh dance around the relationship issue while everyone else seems to see that there is one is fascinating. I am glad that Eddie talked to Galen and he now seems ready to enter the therapy and heal.  It is still a long road but it is a start.  Thanks for the chapter. 

I love this comment.  My beta reader said the same thing about everyone but Josh and Galen being aware that they're actually in a relationship.  They'll have to acknowledge it at some point.  You are right that Galen still has a long road ahead, but at least now he's on it.  Thanks for commenting!  

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Not a fan of Eddie, but if he turns out to be the catalyst for Galen moving forward with therapy, then I guess that’s a good thing.

What it really brings to light is how much of a mistake taking Galen on the trip was.  The exchange between them and the cop could have gone wrong very quickly and Josh is not up to taking care of Galen by himself.  I hope Galen can get the help he needs.

Excellent chapter!

  • Like 4
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
5 minutes ago, CassieQ said:

Not a fan of Eddie, but if he turns out to be the catalyst for Galen moving forward with therapy, then I guess that’s a good thing.

What it really brings to light is how much of a mistake taking Galen on the trip was.  The exchange between them and the cop could have gone wrong very quickly and Josh is not up to taking care of Galen by himself.  I hope Galen can get the help he needs.

Excellent chapter!

Thanks :) I enjoy reading your comments because they always get me thinking.  You have me curious as to why you don't like Eddie.  And you are right, things could have gone wrong very quickly in that situation.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Thanks :) I enjoy reading your comments because they always get me thinking.  You have me curious as to why you don't like Eddie.  And you are right, things could have gone wrong very quickly in that situation.  

I know cops have to put their lives on the line every day, but his manner during the first part of the chapter was a bit over the top.  I got stopped for speeding last month and if the officer had been shouting at me like that, I would have been terrified as well.  He didn't calm down until he heard Liam's name, what if Galen didn't have a cop buddy?  He threatened to haul Galen out of the truck, which could have triggered a major panic attack or flashback.  Like I said, Galen shouldn't have been on that trip, but Eddie's behavior wasn't helping.    

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I have no idea why this chapter made me emotional, but it did. I think it was hearing Galen's POV, and the talk with Eddie got to me. :huh:  The rawness Galen feels came through loud and clear. Well done, Val. Cheers... Gary....

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
2 hours ago, Headstall said:

I have no idea why this chapter made me emotional, but it did. I think it was hearing Galen's POV, and the talk with Eddie got to me. :huh:  The rawness Galen feels came through loud and clear. Well done, Val. Cheers... Gary....

Thanks :hug: I'm glad the emotion came through  :) 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I was very frightened when Eddie started to get threatening with Galen.  I could see nothing positive about Eddie's approach.  It was only fortunate that Eddie knew Liam and that changed things for the better.  The extended hospitality of Eddie and Matt were encouraging.  It gave Galen's instinct time to kick in which led to a needed breakthrough for Galen.  Even a small problem can need the help of a therapist to work through.  It is a long haul to make it out of even small situations.  It is very frightening for Galen to consider this option with all that he will need to feel and remember in order to heal.  Like Eddie, some never heal but can only adapt, and learn strategies to keep the memories at bay.  Thanks Valkyrie. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
3 hours ago, raven1 said:

I was very frightened when Eddie started to get threatening with Galen.  I could see nothing positive about Eddie's approach.  It was only fortunate that Eddie knew Liam and that changed things for the better.  The extended hospitality of Eddie and Matt were encouraging.  It gave Galen's instinct time to kick in which led to a needed breakthrough for Galen.  Even a small problem can need the help of a therapist to work through.  It is a long haul to make it out of even small situations.  It is very frightening for Galen to consider this option with all that he will need to feel and remember in order to heal.  Like Eddie, some never heal but can only adapt, and learn strategies to keep the memories at bay.  Thanks Valkyrie. 

It was not a good situation for anyone.  Eddie could have been in danger from two people parked on a remote rural road in the middle of the night, so reacted strongly.  Maybe a bit too strongly, but I can understand why he was so harsh.  Like you said, thankfully they were able to realize the connection to Liam and get things sorted out.  It's a long road to recover from PTSD, and like you said, some only learn how to adapt.  We'll see what the future brings.  :hug: 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I have revisited The Hollow Hills many times since I first read it as it is a favorite of mine. Always an emotional read.

I did just notice that Galen ruminates about how he isn’t a fan of herbal tea and then settles on coffee (with lots of sugar) when offered a drink choice the next morning yet when he met Ethan for their coffee date he tells Ethan that he isn’t a coffee drinker but that he prefers herbal tea. 🤔 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
5 hours ago, My_Pretty_Kitty_Kat said:

I have revisited The Hollow Hills many times since I first read it as it is a favorite of mine. Always an emotional read.

I did just notice that Galen ruminates about how he isn’t a fan of herbal tea and then settles on coffee (with lots of sugar) when offered a drink choice the next morning yet when he met Ethan for their coffee date he tells Ethan that he isn’t a coffee drinker but that he prefers herbal tea. 🤔 

Oops!  Good catch!  :facepalm: I'm glad to hear this story is a favorite of yours, though.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment

When I began reading and it was Galen's POV. I understood we'd reached a breakthrough of sorts. I still think the trip a success despite all that might have gone wrong. Sometimes breaking routine is a neccessary catalyst.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
34 minutes ago, dughlas said:

When I began reading and it was Galen's POV. I understood we'd reached a breakthrough of sorts. I still think the trip a success despite all that might have gone wrong. Sometimes breaking routine is a neccessary catalyst.

:yes: Definitely 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Galen's conversation with Eddie made me quite emotional. I'm not sure why. 

This is a turning point for Galen and Josh. I'm very glad they stayed with Eddie and Matt. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..