Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 3,251 Words
  • 5,295 Views
  • 34 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Hollow Hills - 22. Chapter 22

Please heed the story content warnings.

Joshua

I awoke about an hour before my usual time and stumbled into the kitchen to make a pot of coffee. Galen’s eyes were closed when I passed him, so I let him be, hoping that he was experiencing some relief from his frequent nightmares. I pressed the button to start the coffee machine and poured myself a cup as it was still brewing. The hot, bitter coffee burned my throat as I swallowed it faster than I should have. I desperately needed the caffeine if I had any hope of getting through the day. I had spent the night with Galen, trying to comfort him after he woke up from a nightmare and thinking about what the best course of action would be to help him heal. There was no question he needed immediate medical care. He was on several different medications, which were obviously not working. It was time for a second opinion.

I was thankful I had such reliable barn staff. Caroline had everything ready for the horses, which were due to arrive from Florida late the next afternoon. We’d have our hands full monitoring them for any signs of distress from the long trailer ride. Horses were delicate creatures and prolonged travel could wreak havoc on their digestion. We had a system of preventative measures in place, but they were no guarantee against colic, which could be fatal to horses. The long trip also tended to make them a bit on the wild side. So we needed to be ready in case any of them required sedation in order to prevent injury to either us or them.

I had planned on spending the day at the office getting caught up on magazine-related issues I couldn’t take care of when I was in Florida. I was lucky to have the flexibility to work from just about anywhere, allowing me to keep up my duties as editor while coaching Alannah at her competitions across the states and the world. I couldn’t leave Galen alone though, so the magazine would have to wait. Even though Alannah was needed in the barn, she offered to stay with him if I needed a break. I didn’t plan on asking her to relieve me. Taking care of my broken friend was my responsibility. It was my fault he was in this condition. If I had stayed behind instead of going to Florida, maybe I could have gotten him the help he needed.

I made Galen a bacon, egg, and cheese frittata for breakfast. I wanted to pack as many calories as possible into his meals since his appetite was so low. I slid it onto a plate and cut a portion into small pieces and placed them on a separate plate. I then poured a glass of orange juice and headed toward the living room. I stopped when Alannah blocked my path.

“What are ye doing?” she asked.

I frowned. “Giving Galen his breakfast.”

She pointed to table. “That’s where we eat breakfast, not the living room.”

I raised an eyebrow. “He can eat in there. What’s the big deal?”

“He needs structure and a routine. He can join us for breakfast,” she insisted. “At the table.”

I turned around and set Galen’s meal down on the table, then set places for myself and Alannah. I was too tired to argue. Alannah returned with Galen in tow and pulled out the chair in front of his plate, gesturing for him to sit down. He complied, but sat motionless and stared forward. I sat next to him and handed him a fork.

“Here you go. I think you’ll like this. It has bacon in it.” In the past we’d joked about how bacon makes everything taste better.

Galen took the fork, and he ate a few bites before setting it down. “You didn’t eat much. Have some more.” I speared a piece of frittata and held it out to him. He took it and ate it, then set the fork down on the table again. I repeated the process a few more times until he pushed his plate away and refused to take the fork again.

Alannah and I finished our meal in silence, trading occasional glances with each other and Galen. He sat without acknowledging us, staring blankly at the table.

“Why don’t you help Galen get cleaned up, love, and I’ll check his bag for some suitable clothes.”

“Suitable for what?” I asked.

“Barn work. He can help me with the morning chores and take care of Buck.”

I looked at her incredulously. The man couldn’t even hold his head up at the dinner table and she expected him to do barn chores? “He’s not in any shape to do barn chores.”

She gestured toward the living room, and I followed her in there. “This is a working farm, love. If he’s going to stay here, he needs to earn his keep. Besides, do ye really think he’s better off wasting away on the couch?”

I ran my hand through my hair. “Of course not. I had planned on taking him down to the barn later anyway. I thought maybe seeing Buck would help him. I didn’t think about putting him to work there, though. I was going to have him wash the breakfast dishes and help with some of the simpler cooking tasks.”

“He can do that too. Having him with me this morning will give you a chance to talk to Liam and get some more information from him. We need to know who his doctors are, and what, exactly, happened over the past three months. We also need a long-term plan and to get an idea of how long Galen will be staying with us.” She paused. “I think we also need to find someone who specializes in Galen’s issues. He needs help sooner rather than later.”

I nodded. “Yeah, he does. Sounds good, Lonnie. I’ll give Liam a call when you guys head down to the barn.”

Alannah stepped closer and drew me into an embrace. “It’ll be OK, love.”

I squeezed her tightly to me. “I hope so.”

She pulled away, holding onto both of my arms. “Trust me. We’ll get through this.”

A feeling of warmth spread through me. Alannah was a good friend.

“Let’s get to work, huh?” She winked and squeezed my arm before heading over to Galen’s bag and rummaging through it.

I went to the kitchen to retrieve Galen and brought him to the bathroom. I helped him clean up, then handed him the clothes Alannah had found and instructed him to change. About ten minutes later, Galen and Alannah headed to the barn, and I pulled out my cell phone to give Liam a call.

Liam sounded like he’d finally gotten some rest. He provided me with a list of Galen’s doctors and said he’d drop off his medical records later. He told me about the incident with the burnt chicken, and how afterwards, he’d tried to get Galen help, but his cousin resisted any attempt to get him medical intervention. Liam had stayed with Galen in his apartment for a while, but eventually moved him into his house when it became obvious that he needed more care. Galen’s landlord brought Tigger to his own apartment. The poor cat had become traumatized by Galen’s night terrors.

Liam told me he closely monitored Galen’s medication intake. He also relayed how he tried taking him back to the hospital so he could receive more appropriate medical care. When Galen realized where Liam was taking him, he jumped out of the car and ran into the woods next to the hospital. Thankfully he hadn’t been going very fast, but fast enough to cause several scrapes and bruises. It had taken Liam hours to find him and calm him down enough to get him back into the car.

After that incident, Galen’s condition deteriorated even more. Liam had tried finding a doctor that would make house calls, with no success. He asked Jody to try and get through to him, but Galen wouldn’t let his best friend anywhere near him. Liam decided to take care of him as best he could while waiting for Alannah and me to return from Florida. He hoped being around us and the horses would help bring his cousin out of his stupor.

 

After talking with Liam, I contacted Galen’s doctors who were no help at all. None of them were willing to make house calls, including his counselor. Every one of them recommended that I take him to the ER and have him admitted to the psych ward. I decided to do an internet search for doctors who performed house calls. I had just settled at my computer when heard Alannah yelling my name. I dashed to the front door, then outside. Alannah was on the ground kneeling beside Galen.

“What the hell happened?” I asked as I dropped next to my fallen friend.

“We were on our way back to the house and he just collapsed,” she explained. “He won’t get up.”

“Galen, wake up.” I placed my hand on his shoulder and shook him gently. He opened his eyes briefly, then closed them. I looked at Alannah and frowned. “I told you this was too much for him.”

“Really, love? I don’t think this is the best time for ‘I told you so’.”

I scooped Galen into my arms and stood. I thought I might not be strong enough to carry him, but he had lost so much weight that I had no difficulty. Galen burrowed his head into my shoulder and wrapped his arms around me. I almost dropped him due to the surge of emotion that flooded through me. He sighed and I felt the tension drain from his body. He felt like limp spaghetti in my arms. I took a deep breath and inhaled the heady aroma of sweat and horse. Under different circumstances I would have found the scent arousing, but instead, I was filled with concern for my debilitated friend.

I carried him inside and laid him down on the couch. I was tempted to sit next to him and hold him in my arms and comfort him, but instead, I pulled the blanket around him and then headed into the kitchen to start lunch. I figured I’d feed him and give him some time to rest and recover, then help him get cleaned up.

Alannah entered the kitchen as I put the last grilled cheese sandwich onto a plate and set it on the counter. I stirred the pot of tomato soup simmering on the stove and tasted it. It wasn’t my finest effort, but it would do, especially when sopped up with the sandwich.

“How is he?” Alannah asked.

“Same. He hasn’t stirred since I put him on the couch.”

“What did Liam say?”

I recounted my conversation with Liam as I set the table and Alannah washed her hands. I poured soup into three bowls and set them on the table.

“I have a couple of hours free this afternoon. I can pick up the files from Liam and get some more of Galen’s things,” she stated.

“That sounds like a great idea.”

“Any luck finding a doctor?”

“Not yet.” I headed into the living room and knelt next to Galen. He was asleep, but looked anything but restful. His face contorted and his limbs twitched as if he were flinching. I recognized the signs. It was only a matter of time before he started screaming from the nightmare he was experiencing.

“Galen, wake up,” I said gently. When he didn’t respond, I repeated myself a bit louder and placed a hand on his arm. He jerked awake; his green eyes briefly glanced into my own before he looked away and settled back onto his pillow.

“C’mon. I know you’re tired, but it’s time for lunch. You need to eat.” I removed the blanket and set it near his feet, then held out my hand. He sat up, took my hand, and followed me into the kitchen. He ate a few spoonfuls of soup when I handed him the utensil, then set it down. I handed him half a sandwich, but he only took a small bite before discarding it. I cut it into pieces and set those in front of him. He finished the sandwich half and took a few more sips of soup before refusing to eat any more. He left the table with no prompting from me or Alannah and retreated to the couch.

 

After lunch, Alannah headed to Liam’s and I settled in the chair next to the couch to search for a new doctor on my laptop. After about an hour of fruitless searching, I set the computer down on the coffee table and headed into the kitchen to make a snack for Galen. I needed to make a shopping list too, since Caroline had bought just enough food to tide us over for a few days.

I liked planning meals, especially for other people, so making my shopping list was easy. Our meals for the week would be nutrient and calorie dense, and consisted of all Galen’s favorites—meatloaf, mac and cheese, and veggie dishes I had learned over the past year that he liked.

My eyes widened as I realized it had only been a little over a year since Galen came into my life. I felt like I’d known him forever. Many times I’d fantasized about what it would be like to have him at the farm and in my life, but the reality wasn’t anything I had ever anticipated.

I sighed and pushed the thought away. If I didn’t have any luck locating a doctor soon, I was facing the very real possibility of having to bring Galen to the hospital against his will. After everything he’d been through, I wasn’t sure I could bring myself to do that. I brought him his snack and watched him consume the few bites I gave him. “Do you want some more?”

His only response was to curl deeper into his blanket. I needed a break from my search, so I decided to get started on dinner. I assembled everything I’d need to prepare the meal, then brought Galen in to sit at the table so he could assemble the salad and make the dressing. I sat across from him and directed him, step-by-step, until everything was together in the bowl and the dressing was mixed in a separate container. His movements were robotic and he made no eye contact with me. When he was finished, he sat staring at the table.

“I wish I knew how to get through to you,” I said. “It may not seem like it now, but you’ll get past this. I promise.” I placed my hand on top of his and gently squeezed.

I jumped when I heard the front door open, then shut with a loud bang, and I headed over to grab a bag from Alannah’s overfilled arms. “What’s all this?”

“Clothes for Galen and his medical records.” We set everything down on the couch. “How’s he doing?”

I shrugged. “Same. He made the salad for dinner. Otherwise he’s been on the couch. He still won’t respond to me. I didn’t have any luck tracking down a doctor who’ll make house calls.” I paused and glanced at the still form sitting at the kitchen table. “If I don’t find one soon, we’ll have no choice but to take him to the hospital. I really don’t want to put him through that.”

“We need to do what’s best for him, love. I might have a lead on a good doctor, though.” She reached into her pocket and pulled out a crumpled piece of paper. “Liam talked to a friend from the state police and got the number of a guy who specializes in treating male rape victims. Apparently he’s got an excellent reputation. Couldn’t hurt to give him a call.”

I nodded and took the paper. “I’ll call him now.” I grabbed my cell phone off the coffee table and dialed the number, but had to leave a message for the doctor to return my call.

 

After dinner, I brought Galen to the barn to help me with night check. It wasn’t hard work, and I thought it would be good to get him out of the house. He threw flakes of hay into the stalls while I topped off the water buckets. Even though Alannah had told me there was no change in Galen’s behavior when he was around the horses earlier, I had hoped that I would see some difference in his demeanor. Frustration built inside me at the mindless way he performed his tasks.

I coiled the hose, then turned to look for Galen. Alarm flooded through me when I saw the empty barn aisle. “Galen? Where are you?”

I jogged down the aisle toward the door, hoping he had simply headed to the house without me. I stopped when I saw the open door to Buck’s stall. Galen was inside, standing next to his horse, his arms around the animal’s neck. I exhaled in relief. Buck nosed Galen’s pockets, looking for a treat. Galen buried his face in Buck’s mane, but had to take a step backward when the horse nudged him playfully. He made no effort to wipe away the tears streaming down his face.

“Easy there, Buck. You need to be gentle,” I said. I placed my hand on his shoulder and guided him gently out of the stall. “C’mon, Galen. Let’s get you back inside.”

I latched the stall door, and Galen remained in close physical proximity to me. As soon as I finished, he slipped his hand inside mine. My heart swelled at the contact. He remained glued to my side as I turned off the barn lights and shut the door for the night. When we entered the house, he immediately headed to his spot on the couch.

It took all my self-control to rein in my emotions. I felt all over the place. A mixture of love, fear, and anguish warred within me, threatening to tear me apart. I leaned my hands on the kitchen counter and exhaled sharply. Tears pooled in my eyes, threatening to spill over. I needed to be strong for Galen. He needed me. I wished I could take all his pain away and turn him back into the vibrant and playful man I knew.

This is all your fault.

The words echoed throughout my skull until I put my hands on my head in an effort to stop them. It had only been one day. I had nothing but empathy for Liam. I couldn’t imagine dealing with Galen with no support system.

My cell phone rang, jarring me out of my thoughts. I grabbed it, hoping it was the doctor returning my call. It was. I explained what Galen had been through and his current condition. It turned out that the doctor was familiar with Galen’s case from the news. He was sympathetic and stated he was willing to make a house call, but he couldn’t get here for another three days. We made arrangements for his arrival, with my profuse thanks. I felt the first stirring of hope since Galen had arrived, and desperately wished Dr. Daniel Snowden lived up to his reputation.

Thank you Cole Matthews and Lisa for your invaluable input.  I know this is another depressing chapter, but there's hope on the horizon as long as the doctor can provide some much-needed assistance.  Anyone who recognizes the doctor's name gets a giant gold star. ;)  Thanks for reading and I love it when readers leave comments, either here or in the story discussion thread.  
Copyright © 2018 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 50
  • Love 3
  • Sad 13
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



  • Site Administrator
6 minutes ago, JayT said:

Did Galen meet someone named Sam in the waiting room of a doctor's office???

And we have a winner! :D:D 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

They are all in way over their heads. I really hope the doc can help. Otherwise, they're doing Galen a bear's favor as we say in Sweden. A favor that is in fact not a favor at all... 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Hugging Buck made me cry. Galen's in there, lost and frightened, but he's in there. I believe Josh will be more important to his recovery than he could possibly believe right now. Three days until the doctor comes... let's hope there is some improvement by then, but it looks so sad right now. I think Josh should sit and hold him while he sleeps... they both need comfort... great job, Val... I'm twisted up right now, but I see a glimmer of light now that a doctor has been found... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 8/12/2017 at 10:35 PM, Parker Owens said:

A very tough chapter, but you planted some seeds of hope, too. Hand in hand, we get to watch them take root. 

I think at this point we need some hope.  Thanks for reading and for the comment. :hug: 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 8/12/2017 at 11:20 PM, glennish said:

Heartbreaking but some seeds of hope.  Hugging his horse and the hand holding is a good start.  The doctor can't do any worse for Galen.  Thanks for the chapter and looking forward to the next. 

Thank you for the comment, glennish.  I think hugging Buck shows that there is still some fight left, despite the dark place Galen is in right now.  Thanks for reading!  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 8/14/2017 at 6:24 PM, Puppilull said:

They are all in way over their heads. I really hope the doc can help. Otherwise, they're doing Galen a bear's favor as we say in Sweden. A favor that is in fact not a favor at all... 

Agreed.  We'll find out next chapter. ;)  Thanks for the comment! 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
21 hours ago, Headstall said:

Hugging Buck made me cry. Galen's in there, lost and frightened, but he's in there. I believe Josh will be more important to his recovery than he could possibly believe right now. Three days until the doctor comes... let's hope there is some improvement by then, but it looks so sad right now. I think Josh should sit and hold him while he sleeps... they both need comfort... great job, Val... I'm twisted up right now, but I see a glimmer of light now that a doctor has been found... cheers... Gary....

There's a lot riding on Dr. Snowden.  We'll see if he lives up to his reputation.  Thanks for reading and your support.  I really appreciate it! 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
11 minutes ago, Albert1434 said:

This is a very good chapter. My heart bleeds for Galen well he did go thru hell. Heart breaking:yes:

Thanks, Albert. :hug: 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Aww, Galen..

Isn't it sad that there are doctors who even knowing the situation, won't even make a house call for an initial assessment?  Hopefully Dr. Snowden will be the breakthrough that he needs. That and more time with Buck. And Josh can't forget he needs looking after too.. 

Good chapter Val.. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 8/16/2017 at 9:32 AM, Defiance19 said:

Aww, Galen..

Isn't it sad that there are doctors who even knowing the situation, won't even make a house call for an initial assessment?  Hopefully Dr. Snowden will be the breakthrough that he needs. That and more time with Buck. And Josh can't forget he needs looking after too.. 

Good chapter Val.. 

Thanks, Def. :)  We'll see what effect Dr. Snowden, the horses, and Josh have on Galen.  Thanks for reading!  

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Well Val I just started reading this about 12 noon yesterday, and damn you my mascara is running. The pain that these guys are going through is horrible. Where is Ethan though if he loved Galen even a little shouldn't he have been there at some point. I am loving the story.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Well, I'm glad that Galen is finding a little bit of comfort, even if it is from his horse.

 

Having Galen not eating really struck a chord with me.  I did the same after I lost my apartment in a fire.  I just lost more and more weight until I hit double digits.   My parents put their foot down and made me see a nutritionist.  Hopefully this doctor can help Galen out.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 8/20/2017 at 2:37 AM, Wesley8890 said:

Well Val I just started reading this about 12 noon yesterday, and damn you my mascara is running. The pain that these guys are going through is horrible. Where is Ethan though if he loved Galen even a little shouldn't he have been there at some point. I am loving the story.

Sorry I never replied to this.  I never the comment until now :facepalm: Thanks so much for reading and leaving a comment. You'll get an answer about Ethan in a later chapter.  :) 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
4 minutes ago, CassieQ said:

Well, I'm glad that Galen is finding a little bit of comfort, even if it is from his horse.

 

Having Galen not eating really struck a chord with me.  I did the same after I lost my apartment in a fire.  I just lost more and more weight until I hit double digits.   My parents put their foot down and made me see a nutritionist.  Hopefully this doctor can help Galen out.  

The healing power of animals is an amazing thing.  I tend to go to the opposite extreme when I'm depressed or experience a traumatic event.  I hope the nutritionist helped.  :hug: Thanks for reading and commenting.  

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
4 hours ago, aditus said:

This is all your fault. Josh should stop this or he' need a doctor too. 

:yes:  There's lots of guilt going around right now.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Wow!  I just found this story today, when you posted the last chapter...amazing!  I haven't been able to stop reading this since the first chapter!  LMAO!  Fortunately, I've had a quiet day at work!  :P

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
22 minutes ago, mfa607 said:

Wow!  I just found this story today, when you posted the last chapter...amazing!  I haven't been able to stop reading this since the first chapter!  LMAO!  Fortunately, I've had a quiet day at work!  :P

I'm glad you found the story and had a quiet day at work ;) Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.  I'm glad you're enjoying the story.  :) 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 8/20/2017 at 1:37 PM, Wesley8890 said:

Well Val I just started reading this about 12 noon yesterday, and damn you my mascara is running. The pain that these guys are going through is horrible. Where is Ethan though if he loved Galen even a little shouldn't he have been there at some point. I am loving the story.

Quote

damn you my mascara is running

Very evident from your photo. I do agree about Ethan, but he may have taken the advice from all the comments and is still running.  It would be nice to know what is happening to Ethan.  I was really rooting for him to get Galen.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..