Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 2,926 Words
  • 2,572 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Neko's Tail - 24. Saying Goodbye

The ship touched down with a thump and Reinard let go of the chair. No one moved for a moment, everyone lost in their own thoughts. If the time remained frozen, the Faro wouldn’t have to deal with what came next.

With a sigh, Artemis stood up, breaking the moment.

“It’s midday right now,” he said. “Reinard, we need to get you a translator. And Elias needs a pair of glasses. I’ve been putting that off for far too long.”

Reinard knew what the tiger was doing. If they didn’t get moving now, they would be stuck waiting for something to happen. Artemis took the plunge, breaking their silence. Reinard appreciated it, but he also hated the tiger at that moment.

“We’ll call Eigal to pick us up, and he can bring the rest of your things,” Ceirel said, standing.

“Thank you,” Reinard said quietly.

“You know, you can talk to someone about your problems. You don’t have to run away-”

“I’m not running away from my problems Mara. And no amount of talking is going to change my mind about this.”

It was the same song and dance they had done for the past month. And as tiring as it was, Reinard knew it was all because Ceirel loved him.

If he didn’t annoy Reinard, would he even be his Mara?

They stepped off the ship and Artemis headed toward the Dalmar who made the vessel, leaving Reinard with his clan.

“Well, I guess this is it,” he said.

Ceirel nodded with a sigh.

“Yeah…”

Neistar embraced his ardai tightly.

“You take care. Come home sometime soon, okay?”

Reinard nodded, tears in his eyes. He turned to Ceirel and embraced his Mara.

“I promise I’ll visit. And this time it won’t take me ten years.”

He didn’t want to leave. Not for the first time, Reinard wondered if he was making a mistake. Maybe he should just stay with his clan and deal with the jolt of fear and anger that came every time he saw a Dalmar.

A hand touched his back gently.

“We’ll take care of him,” Elias said beside the Faro, and Reinard smiled slightly.

“I know I’m in safe hands,” he said. “I love you. Both of you.”

Artemis returned to the group, motioning to Elias.

“I should probably get going,” Reinard sighed.

But still he stood with his clan, drawing this out.

“Get going you,” Ceirel said finally.

Reinard took a step back, and like that the spell was broken. He turned and stepped after Artemis. Turning his head, the Faro cast one last look at his clan.

Neistar raised his hand in farewell, and Reinard smiled at him, fighting back tears.

Hurrying toward the cats, Reinard took a deep breath.

“Are you going to be okay?” Artemis asked.

Reinard nodded.

“Yeah. I will. It’s not like I’m never going to see them again.”

 

Artemis read through his list one more time, trying to decide the best way to handle everything. He wanted to be out of the system within a day, and there was a lot to be done still.

“Okay, first thing, we need to get a translator in you Reinard,” he said.

That was usually taken care of by the Fleets, but Reinard wasn’t joining the Fleets. Still, it was a place to start.

Artemis led them to the Fleet testing area, stopping in front of a Faro behind the desk. He was grateful it was a different Faro from when he had last been here.

“Hello, I need to get my friend a translator,” the tiger said.

The Faro’s eyes widened.

“You’re the one who delivered the water to Oyhaf B2! I have to get your autograph,” he gushed.

Artemis frowned slightly, uncomfortable with the attention.

“Uh, okay,” he said, taking the offered pen from the Faro.

Clicking it open, the tiger hissed as something poked his thumb. He looked down at the pen, trying to figure out what stabbed him, but it looked like a normal pen.

“Are you okay?” the Faro asked.

“Yeah…”

Artemis signed his name on the paper the fox pushed at him, before returning the pen. He sucked at his thumb, trying to relieve the prickling sensation in it, and came away wuth the coppery taste of blood in his mouth.

“Thank you so much,” the Faro beamed, drawing Artemis’ attention away from his thumb. “Uh, we mainly do testing here, but I’m sure we could add a translator as well.”

Artemis turned to Reinard with a frown.

“Do you want to test for the Fleets?”

The fox shrugged.

“If it will help. But I don’t know much about ships.”

“I’m sure you’ll do just fine,” the other Faro smiled. “Let me get ahold of Seeker Eitara and see if he’s available.”

The trio sat silently, Artemis planning his day mentally. He noticed Reinard fidgeting in his seat, and gently placed a hand on the Faro’s thigh.

“You okay?”

“I’m nervous,” Reinard admitted.

“That’s normal,” Artemis smiled. “Even Elias was nervous before his testing, though he hid it well.”

At his name, the neko turned his head, silently observing the two.

“Yes, I said your name,” Artemis chuckled.

Elias scowled at the tiger, turning away.

“Do you want us to stay here while you do the test? It may take a few hours,” Artemis continued.

“No, you wanted to get things done today, right?”

The tiger nodded as a door opened.

Seeker Eitara approached the three, a smile on his face.

“Ah, Captain Artemis, Cadet Elias, welcome back. And who’s your friend?”

“Reinard Artego, Seeker,” Reinard said, bowing his head slightly.

“Artego? I was wondering when your clan would allow you to be tested,” Eitara said. “That is why you are here, correct?”

“And to get a translator,” Reinard added, with a glance at Artemis.

“I will be sure to include that,” Eitara promised. “Will you be staying for his testing Captain?”

“That is up to Reinard,” Artemis said.

The fox shook his head.

“You said you wanted to leave tomorrow. You should finish getting what you need,” he said.

Artemis nodded.

“Okay. Do you want me to come back and get you?”

“No, I should be able to find the ship when I’m done,” Reinard replied.

“Then Elias and I will get going. See you later.”

 

They left the office, Artemis grumbling. Elias didn’t know why the tiger was upset. They were coming back tomorrow and then everything would be fine with his eyes.

“Well, your glasses won’t be ready until tomorrow,” Artemis sighed. “We still need to get bedding, and you and Reinard need suits in case of an emergency.”

The tiger rubbed his head.

“Ugh, this is such a headache… I don’t want to do anything else today.”

He began walking, Elias hurrying to keep up with him.

“We’re going back to the ship and waiting for Reinard. We can finish everything else tomorrow.”

Elias frowned as they neared the ship. Artemis wanted to leave tomorrow. Why was he waiting?

The tiger stumbled as he stepped on the ramp, catching himself with a frown.

“I’m tired,” he yawned. “I didn’t get much sleep last night.”

He didn’t look good. His eyes were drooping and saliva was slipping from his mouth. Elias wondered if the tiger was sick. He was sure Artemis knew himself better than Elias did. If he was sick, the tiger would know what he should do.

The ramp raised itself and the cats went to their rooms, Elias crawling into his den with his tablet. He hoped Reinard would get back soon.

 

Reinard froze at the sight of a Dalmar standing next to a Xanar.

“Commanders, this is Reinard Artego,” Eitara said. “He would like to test into the Fleets.”

“Artego?”

The Dalmar frowned.

“Are you the one who was missing? You don’t look like the one who keeps asking where his kit is.”

Reinard nodded stiffly.

“Welcome home.”

The Xanar spoke up suddenly.

“This planet seems to bear you much hate Nidara.”

“It is to be expected,” the Dalmar shrugged. “Ser, I hope you understand I am not your enemy, regardless of our planets’ pasts.”

Reinard nodded slowly, keeping his eyes on the dog.

“Your ears reveal your emotions,” the Xanar said. “What is it about Commander Nidara that upsets you so?”

“Her people killed most of my clan.”

“But she did not kill them herself. Why do you project your anger onto her? I can assure you she bears you no ill will.”

The Xanar made sense. But it was hard for Reinard to admit he was in the wrong.

“I’ll… I’ll try to keep that in mind,” he muttered.

“That is the first step,” the Xanar smiled. “Do that and it will be enough for this test.”

“Shall we get started then?”

The three escorted Reinard to a med pod, and Eitara and the Xanar walked behind a wall. Reinard frowned as he was left alone with Nidara.

“I need you to remove your shirt please,” Nidara requested.

With a shiver, Reinard complied. He climbed into the pod, laying back as Nidara began placing sensors around his head. A needle entered his arm, and the Faro winced.

“I am going to put you to sleep, and you will wake up after the test,” the Dalmar said, holding a mask that would fit Reinard’s small snout.

Reinard nodded, taking deep breaths. The mask covered his mouth and nose, and the fox inhaled deeply, as the Dalmar counted down. The Faro’s eyes closed.

Then they opened to a table covered with various instruments.

Reinard approached the table warily. He still didn’t trust the Dalmar. Who knew what the dog might do to sabotage him?

A note lay beside a gun, and Reinard picked it up, surprised to find it written in Faro.

“You may pick one tool to use for the test. All others will vanish when you have made your choice.”

The Faro’s eyes scanned the table, finding a compass, a staff, and the gun. He picked up the weapon, examining it to see how it worked.

The gun appeared to be of standard Faro design, a short weapon for closer ranges. Reinard had fired a weapon like it a few times before, but always under his Segal’s watchful eye. Holding the gun made the Faro feel safe, as though Segal was there with him.

Checking the length of the magazine, Reinard was confident he could squeeze out twenty shots with the amount of matter present. He made sure the lever action worked, before placing his trigger finger on the guard. The fox was ready for anything the Dalmar might throw at him.

The table vanished, leaving Reinard in the middle of a desert. He knew this place, the Dalmar homeland. Not only was he back on the dog’s planet, the fox could see his usual hiding spot, the hole that had stumped him so many times in his attempts to escape.

Reinard walked straight for the hole, determined to get through it this time. He wanted to enter that cavern, that place of freedom.

Stooping beside the hole, the Faro stuck his arm through it, feeling the cool air of the cavern on his fingers. He tried his head next, squeezing and pushing until he couldn’t any more.

The caves below were just out of reach. If the fox could just get his head into the hole, he could make it through.

Yanking his head back out of the hole, Reinard winced at a sudden pain in his neck. He rubbed the back of his neck, not finding any injury. Shrugging, the fox began digging at the hole, trying to widen it.

It didn’t take long before his fingers started aching from his efforts. He wasn’t making any discernible effect on the ground. Reinard sat back with a scowl, thinking.

A rock. The Faro scoured the ground until he found the perfect one. He began hitting the ground around the hole with it, finally widening the hole enough for him to slip through.

Grabbing his gun, Reinard dropped ten feet, landing inside the cave below. He let out a whoop of excitement, tired but victorious.

His victory was short lived, however, as the baying of dogs entered his ears. The fox flattened himself against a wall as the Dalmars’ howls echoed around him. Suddenly his place of safety was turning into a death trap. He had no way to know where the dogs were coming from.

Reinard took a deep breath. He had killed before, he could do it again. But he didn’t want to die in this cave. Maybe there was a way to make this fight go his way.

Scanning the cave, the fox spotted a short mound of dirt. It should be enough to stop the Dalmar weapons. Reinard could move back and forth, and as long as he kept his motions random, the Dalmar wouldn’t have much time to react to him.

It wasn’t the best position for him by far, but it would work. He hoped.

Darting to the mound, the fox checked to make sure his gun’s safety was off, before sitting against the dirt and waiting.

It didn’t take long for the sounds of the Dalmar to fill the room. Reinard crawled across the ground, peeking out around the mound of dirt. His hunters were fanning out through the cave, the nearest one within thirty feet of his hiding spot.

Then he saw her.

“I killed you…” he breathed.

It was impossible. She couldn’t be alive. He had cut her throat, bled her out. But here she was, directing her hunters.

Reinard ducked back, taking a deep breath. He would have to deal with her again. But if he shot her first, the Dalmar that was now twenty feet away would know exactly where he was.

Crawling to the other side of the mound, the Faro aimed his weapon at a dog across the room and pulled his trigger.

The weapon gave a muffled thump, launching a spike at the Dalmar. The dog cried out oas the projectile pierced his side, and Reinard pulled at the lever of his gun quickly, cutting a new projectile.

The other dogs scrambled to find cover, all looking to the fallen. Reinard took advantage of their momentary distraction, seeking out his former owner who had already begun barking out orders.

His next shot caught her in the throat, and Reinard grinned.

Come back from that bitch.

“Hold!”

The voice startled the Faro. He had heard it before…

“Nidara…” he scowled.

She was sabotaging his test…

“That is enough Reinard. We have seen all we need to.”

They saw?

Suddenly Reinard realized the implications of what had just happened. They had seen him kill his master. They knew now that he had been a slave, and had not been freed willingly…

“Fuck fuck fuck…”

He had to get out of here. He needed to run, to shift, to hide-

The world went dark around the Faro, and he felt a sharp pain in his arm. He cried out, his voice overtaken by his fox form.

“Calm down. It’s okay.”

Soft, gentle hands tugged at his leg, removing the needle that had been placed there. He felt sudden relief, and whimpered.

“You shouldn’t have shifted with the needle in you.”

Eitara…

“It tore some of your muscles. You’ll have a bit of arm pain for a week. There isn’t much we can do about that. Can you shift back please?”

The Faro complied, shivering in his nudity. Opening his eyes, he grabbed at his pants, covering himself.

“We’ll give you a moment alone to collect your thoughts,” Eitara said, before walking back behind the wall.

Reinard dressed in a hurry. He needed to get out of here, to get back to Artemis and convince him to leave, now. But the only exit he could see was on the other side of the wall. There was no way they were going to let him walk out of here.

Nidara approached the Faro, and Reinard flinched back.

“I am deeply sorry for the injustices that have been done to you,” the Dalmar said quietly. “You do not need to fear reprisal. She would have been put to death if the government knew she had kept you. It was against the treaty and her actions risked war if they had been discovered.”

Reinard took a deep breath, trying to calm his thoughts.

“If you are staying on the planet, I would advise you to seek a therapist to help you recover from your traumas.”

“I’m not. I can’t be around your people, and my own are like aliens to me now.”

Nidara nodded.

“You may leave at any time, but you might want to hear the results of your testing first.”

 

Artemis felt hot. He was so exhausted, he didn’t even want to move to a cooler spot on his bed. Something was wrong. He hadn’t been sick in over five years, since he joined the IEFL.

Groaning as he forced himself to stand, the tiger stumbled through his door, falling against the other wall. He needed to get to the health bay, needed to cure whatever was wrong with him.

Artemis collapsed, dragging himself along the ground. He tried to call for Elias, but his throat tightened around the words. His mind immediately flashed back to the Faro’s pen, poking into his thumb. It had to be poisoned…

His head thumped against the floor, the tiger unconscious.

I'm sorry to leave everyone on a cliffhanger, but that's how the writing turned out. Thank you all for continuing to support my story with your likes and your comments.
Copyright © 2019 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 13
  • Wow 3
  • Angry 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Awesome chapter. But cruel leaving us with a cliffhanger. Let’s hope Elias or Reinard help Artemis to sick bay in time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Artemis'initial instinct to leave the system as quickly as possible was correct, but not executed soon enough. Hopefully either Reinard or Elias will find him. Where is the ship's AI when you need it?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

Artemis'initial instinct to leave the system as quickly as possible was correct, but not executed soon enough. Hopefully either Reinard or Elias will find him. Where is the ship's AI when you need it?

The AI responds to verbal commands. If Artemis can't speak, he can't call for help.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
3 hours ago, Yeoldebard said:

The AI responds to verbal commands. If Artemis can't speak, he can't call for help.

What a half-assed AI. It might as well be an Alexa.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..